DaveSpadaro

[News] Early Thinking On Some Roster Battles To Watch

9 hours ago, cunninghamtheman said:

They ranked the TE groups across the league. And I don’t see it as close. We should be number one. They are pumping Ebron up way too much. And I’ve heard plenty this offseason about him wanting to break records. But he hasn’t been catching that great. And he never has realized his potential. And I don’t think his ceiling is Ertz level anyway. Goedert is underappreciated because he wasn’t used nearly enough last year. The guy seems like an unstoppable redzone weapon. We got ranked second. So maybe I’m just nitpicking. But it seems like we are obviously on top. Rodgers is a very talented and experienced third stringer. And Perkins is also underrated. I think we could get 650 yards and five scores from him if he was our top TE. Just doesn’t feel even close to me. The Colts TEs are strong. Kelce and Kittle you can make a case for being the top guys at the position. But nobody stacks up to our TE position group as a whole.

Do the Colts still have Doyle???? I could see them making a case for them as a top 5 maybe even 2nd place with Doyle and Ebron duo....But yea philly should be an easy #1 starter is debatably the best at his position in the NFL(and at worst top 3) the back-up TE flashed and did well in a limited role would say he is a top 5 backup TE and he should only get better(also underrated trait great blocker)....Then you have Rodgers who has starting exp. as your 3rd TE....Perkins even flashed and could likely make another team as the 3rd TE easily or even the backup and he is our #4 

2 hours ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

Nah,good QB,stud remains to be seen over the next decade.Like Wentz he needs to stay on the field or he will never reach "stud" status

Not sure it is to far fetched to put Luck in that stud grouping minus 2015(played 7 games) and 2017(missed entire season with the shoulder) he has started every game of his career.

minus all that many forget he pretty much the reason Colts we’re making the playoffs his first 4 years we seen what that colts team was doing when he didn’t play....Plus last season was the first year he has ever even had a decent OL...If he isn’t a stud yet he is right on the cusp to being one 

As for Wentz only thing keeping that man out of the stud group is the health he is stuck in the very good group until he starts to complete some seasons

The NFL really is fairly rich in QB talent.

Got the old heads 

Brees, Big Ben, Brady, Rodgers, Rivers

Prime guys(or entering there primes)

Wilson, Luck, Wentz, Goff, Watson 

Exciting Young Guns

Mahomes, Baker, Sam Donald 

20 minutes ago, BleedingGreen93 said:

Not sure it is to far fetched to put Luck in that stud grouping minus 2015(played 7 games) and 2017(missed entire season with the shoulder) he has started every game of his career.

minus all that many forget he pretty much the reason Colts we’re making the playoffs his first 4 years we seen what that colts team was doing when he didn’t play....Plus last season was the first year he has ever even had a decent OL...If he isn’t a stud yet he is right on the cusp to being one 

As for Wentz only thing keeping that man out of the stud group is the health he is stuck in the very good group until he starts to complete some seasons

LMAO of course he starts every game he doesn't miss lol

IDK I suppose our defintions of STUD are different,so I'm not ready to put him in the same sentence with Montana,Favre,Manning,Brady(et al) quite yet

23 minutes ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

LMAO of course he starts every game he doesn't miss lol

Just stating the fact man never missed a game first 4 years in the league didn’t have issues until the shoulder that kept him out an entire year 

1 minute ago, BleedingGreen93 said:

Just stating the fact man never missed a game first 4 years in the league didn’t have issues until the shoulder that kept him out an entire year 

OK stats first 4,nothing like stud material in my view

16 minutes ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

IDK I suppose our defintions of STUD are different,so I'm not ready to put him in the same sentence with Montana,Favre,Manning,Brady(et al) quite yet

Those are GOATS!!!!!! Hard to put anyone in that grouping lol....I think Phillip Rivers is a stud also not sure I put him with those guys though 

1 minute ago, BleedingGreen93 said:

Those are GOATS!!!!!! Hard to put anyone in that grouping lol....I think Phillip Rivers is a stud also not sure I put him with those guys though 

IDk where your "tier levels are lol.What constitues a GOAT or a STUD or good or just ok? Studs to me are in the GOAT category and so I will not put Luck in that group.You will,I wont,no biggie

3 minutes ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

OK stats first 4,nothing like stud material in my view

Didn’t  Andrew Luck like break Peyton Manning’s rookie records(that Manning held for what 15 years)....I can see where your coming from I guess but Andrew Luck has done some studly things in his career and hopefully he still have many years to come so he can possibly push into that GOAT grouping(same goes for Wentz)

Just now, BleedingGreen93 said:

Didn’t  Andrew Luck like break Peyton Manning’s rookie records(that Manning held for what 15 years)....I can see where your coming from I guess but Andrew Luck has done some studly things in his career and hopefully he still have many years to come so he can possibly push into that GOAT grouping(same goes for Wentz)

Im my view its about longevity,doing it every year for a decade.Even if you dont make the SB you get your team there.So is Big Ben a stud? Yeah we just have different defintions of greatness

1 minute ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

IDk where your "tier levels are lol.What constitues a GOAT or a STUD or good or just ok? Studs to me are in the GOAT category and so I will not put Luck in that group.You will,I wont,no biggie

You got your

GOATs

Stud/Great/HoFers

Good

Avg.

below avg.

why is he isn’t he league

Something like that is how my towering works on QBs 

Just now, BleedingGreen93 said:

You got your

GOATs

Stud/Great/HoFers

Good

Avg.

below avg.

why is he isn’t he league

Something like that is how my towering works on QBs 

OK still no clue where the cut offs are for that,so NP

5 minutes ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

OK still no clue where the cut offs are for that,so NP

It really that hard to guess how my tiering works from the names lol

GOATs- guys that should have there names in the ring for best of all time ie.  Brady, Manning, Brees, Monata, Marino etc. 

Studs/Greats/HoFers- easiest way to put it great players deserving HoFers and guys I think are on track to be HoFers(ie Luck) but not in discussion for GOAT.... Big Ben fits here as well, Rivers, Russell etc.

Good players- had good years but think they just shy of Hofer worthy McNabb to me is the best example of this.... Think he had a very good career still the best Eagles QB of all time don’t view him as HoF worthy 

Avg. Andy Dalton he has been my measuring stick for years now to me you want someone better then him or keep looking 

below avg. Josh McCown 

why is he in the league- Nathan Peterman

10 hours ago, 1wrangler said:

Goedert is already a better blocker than Ertz was at the beginning of his career.

Yes he is and the coaches know that. The key this year will be involving Goedert more in the passing game. 

On 5/31/2019 at 5:15 PM, cunninghamtheman said:

The first one(AR) is a great coach. Had nothing but success with us. But his son committed suicide and his trusted partner the great DC(JJ) passes away. So yes I completely understand what happened at the end with AR. He was great to date. And I still believe wife material(to keep with your analogy). But Chip was just a dirty **** that had AIDS. So no matter how you spin it you don’t want to date such a filthy beast. And you got stuck paying the price. 

You can be happy that you only went on three dates with the trash. I just won’t lower my standards. AR needed a fresh start. I agree there on both sides. Still isn’t going to make me believe the Chip hire was a good one. Chip is an egomaniac that doesn’t work well with others. Ran a gimmick scheme. Obvious to me. You thought it brilliant. He was the trash girlfriend. At least recognize it now and realize the mistake!

I'll pass on both .. go shine your bronze medals from Andy.    While I am sorry for Andy personally... and he is a much more likable character than Chip.... and I will never downplay probably the worst tragedy one could experience .... Andy failed for 13 years to get a ring before the tragedy with his son.  6 years in KC no SB appearance.    20 years total and one SB appearance.     He is way way better than Chip ... still look at it this way.

Right now ... you have the choice of knowing we don't win a playoff game for 3 years and then an unknown ... or 14 more years where you know you aren't going to win a SB.    Or even better, we'll shrink it down to only 8 years instead of 14 ...  you make the NFC title game only once in those 8 years.   And you get 3 more playoff apperances with only 1 other win in those same 8 years.   

Choice 1 .. no playoff wins in 2019-2021 ...   choice 2 no SB win in 2019-2033.   Which one would you choose?   

To me its easy ... I went from 1983 Sixers to 2008 Phillies without a parade for my Philly teams.   I've seen enough division titles in all the sports, enough playoff appearances.   I have a franchise QB in my mind right now ... the idea of him not winning a SB in the next 14 years to me would be pretty awful.   I'll take the other 11 years of the unknown all day.  

IDK... you probably saw it differently ... maybe you weren't negative Ham back then... but to me, at no point after 2004 did I think we were even close to a SB contender until midway through the 2017 season. 2008 everything went right to get us 2 steps short of the goal.  I don't want that slightly above average mentality.     Again ... no argument over who was better coach... I just don't have many 14 year periods in my life to give up anymore.    

To me Pedey wasn’t really that much of an unknown. He was an AR disciple. He also knew the lessons we learned under AR. One of those lessons is that Bellicheat...ughh...cheats. So he didn’t have to learn the hard way by losing a SB. Giants got two rings from this also with the knowledge learned with Spags under AR. But how many seasons more are you saying you are giving Pedey if he doesn’t win another SB? Got a playoff win last year. If he makes four more NFC title games. Loses a SB. That’s six seasons right there. Let’s throw in a bad season or two with no playoffs at all because...I don’t know...Wentz gets hurt. That’s eight seasons without a SB victory from Pedey. Are you firing him at that point?

On 5/31/2019 at 5:24 PM, cunninghamtheman said:

You are the only one that still stands behind the Chip hiring. Lurie even just came out and claimed it his biggest mistake. But No Mas will stick by it until the end. It sucked! You were wrong! Deal with it.

So did you read the article????  LOL... What exactly did Lurie say?     He said he he liked the hiring and for the reasons they did it.   His regret was giving Chip the power in 2015.   But he did also say that it pretty much made him see that he needed to go ... kinda fast forwarding the firing.   Which to me was good... as soon as you can find out you got the wrong guy... move on.   Crap or get off the pot.   To me the easiest way to say way to make your point, let the other guy mess up.  That was 2015 to me.   Sixers started tanking in 2013 ... so did the Eagles ... its been a blip.  IDK, probably having kids has dulled my sense of time, but I still feel like Doug was just hired.   If we lose Douglas to the Jets ... he was hired after Doug, seems like both were just hired.   Chip lasted less than both.   Andy seemed to be here like 30 years.    I mean the Sixers tanking seems like a blip and that lasted longer...lol.    I can't really get angry over things that seem to go by fast.   

Chip ... Joe Douglas..... IDK not enough time for me either way.     With that said... if I was a Dallas fan ... their coach seems to have been there for 20-25 years.   The owner seems to have been screwing it up for 50 years.     Washington seems the same way with their coach and owner.    Again, I guess in my mind, when I think its not going to work ... which you gotta give 2-3 years to fully try ... just move on ASAP.  I like the way Lurie has handled things since AR firing.  To me the 2005-2012 era after we made the SB .... seemed to last the same 20-25 years that it seems with Dallas and Washington with their current coaches.  

IDK... in my mind.... Andy would be a great college coach where winning isn't as important and running a program and being a role model for young men.    Chip would be a quality control guy.   Garrett would be a QB coach.   And Jay Gruden an offensive coordinator.  I think none of them would be my NFL head coach.    So far out of the 4 ... only one was let go prior to the end of year 3... the others are still there.  So I like that our front office realized early to make the move.  

I think bronze medal probably applies more to Banner. And then Rosie had to grow into the position. McDermott was forced out of town. Good choice by AR but we had to be patient with him. Forced us into Castillo. Not a great choice. Hard worker but not good enough. Then AR lost to Bellicheat in what? Overtime this past season. Probably wins the SB if they take out the Pats there. First year of Mahomes playing and they got off to a slow start in that game. Went down 14-0 in the first half. Still came back and tied it.

25 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

That was one long a77 explanation of why you loved hot garbage. 

LOL.... I love how you keep twisting words.   Again, not being angry over just 3 years is different than loving hot garbage.  LOL. 

Andy as the guy who had Reno Mahe here for 3 years right?     Made his OL coach a DC?  Left the team in a hot mess when he left.  Coahcing staff other than Duce and Ted Williams were all replaced.   Doug came in ... IDK... made the key change from that awful DC chip had ... but pretty much kept the OL coach whom you absolutely can't stop saying how great he is... any complaints about the ST coach?   quite a few other guys are still here.   Now.. I will differ with people on the sports science ... I think we pretty much caught up when Andy left more so than giving Chip credit for that.    Chip is Sam Hinkie to me... I'm just not mad that he got rid of the guys he did, I don't think tehy were going anywhere with them.   If I felt they would have, then I would be angry... he was a 3 year waste of time, but they learned from it.  11 years sooner than AR.

3 minutes ago, joemas6 said:

LOL.... I love how you keep twisting words.   Again, not being angry over just 3 years is different than loving hot garbage.  LOL. 

Andy as the guy who had Reno Mahe here for 3 years right?     Made his OL coach a DC?  

But I’m not twisting anything. You loved Chip. Thought him brilliant. 

And AR was forced to run McDermott out of town. Great move by AR. We just needed to be patient. He’s a very good DC in my mind. I can’t put that on AR.