DaveSpadaro

[News] Early Thinking On Some Roster Battles To Watch

3 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

But DJax got injured plenty even when young. Everybody raise your hand that thinks DJax plays all 16 games and playoff games. No hands up....there you go again.

He gives flexibility. Can and probably will play every WR position.

Who is faster with the 40 time.... Alshon or JJAW?    I thought Alshon was slightly faster?   Since we look for a speed guy to compliment Alshon .. wouldn't we look for a speed guy to compliment JJAW if he is technically slower?  

2 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

But you want me to say we draft a fast receiver in the coming draft. 

No... I want you tell me who we get to compliment JJAW who runs a slower 40 time than Alshon.  doesn;t have to be draft or even this draft ... just the next WR after DeSEan adn Alshon leave to compliment JJAW who we think is our future starter at one outside WR spot.  

Got a big armed franchise QB. Definitely looking for guys to make plays downfield. We’ve seen AR with the screen game plenty also. Got Ertz and Goedert also. But the redzone wasn’t good enough last year. JAWA and Howard will help with that. I think Goedert is a beast that was underutilized in that capacity also.

So starting in the first playoff game ... in place of Howard, Peters and DeSean ... will be our first 3 picks?    I would say Sanders has the best shot because we will rotate RBs.  The other 2 will need to be because of injury.  I can't predict injury for next January.   I would love to se our rookie skill guys get into the mix though.   

Big picture these guys need to be hits long term.  Gotta be able to build around them.  For 2019 ... Peters, DeSean and Howard are guys I'd like to see have big years and take us home.  I think the 3 vets are more of a reason we are seen as a good team. 

Sounds like you like JJAW a lot.   If you had the choice ... you could have drafted him or a S .. for the long term.  Just thinking of who you think would be the better player.    Are you ok with the pick of JJAW?    With 2022 and beyond in mind.. post  Jenkins, McCloud, Alshon and DeSean. 

But are need for a Sanders and JAWA was greater than a S. I believe Sullivan really started to step up with experience. Arguably terrible at first...but he looked pretty good at the end. We also picked up Sendejo. And then got Countess. I could possibly see Sullivan and Countess as the tandem of the future. Maybe I’m fanboying up my hopes here a little much.  And we always have Maddox as an option.

14 minutes ago, joemas6 said:

So starting in the first playoff game ... in place of Howard, Peters and DeSean ... will be our first 3 picks?    I would say Sanders has the best shot because we will rotate RBs.  The other 2 will need to be because of injury.  I can't predict injury for next January.   I would love to se our rookie skill guys get into the mix though.   

Big picture these guys need to be hits long term.  Gotta be able to build around them.  For 2019 ... Peters, DeSean and Howard are guys I'd like to see have big years and take us home.  I think the 3 vets are more of a reason we are seen as a good team. 

I don’t agree with all this. I think we rotate Sanders and JAWA. We will see Arcega play.  Dillard won’t get a shot until Peters gets injured. But obviously I’m with you on these draft picks need to be hits long term.

13 hours ago, cunninghamtheman said:

Brown is very talented. The problem is he isn’t a leader. He doesn’t call the defense. And his biggest knock is he’s known to freelance more than actually play his role. I doubt he was willing to sign any longer term near those prices. There is a reason he was still available. But if he buys in to being an Eagle then....we always can extend during the season. I like just getting guys in the door to actually see how they fit first. We got a very good undrafted LB also. Kamu came into his own last season also. Bradham changed our whole LB room since he arrived. But I’ll take the one year very affordable price tag for Brown this season and see what happens.

This is a NE type move.  Older vet on cheap deal to prove himself.  similar theme of last 3 offseasons.  

7 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

But are need for a Sanders and JAWA was greater than a S. I believe Sullivan really started to step up with experience. Arguably terrible at first...but he looked pretty good at the end. We also picked up Sendejo. And then got Countess. I could possibly see Sullivan and Countess as the tandem of the future. Maybe I’m fanboying up my hopes here a little much.  And we always have Maddox as an option.

That’s as stacked a S room as I can remember.

Just now, cunninghamtheman said:

I don’t agree with all this. I think we rotate Sanders and JAWA. We will see Arcega play.  Dillard won’t get a shot until Peters gets injured. But obviously I’m with you on these draft picks need to be hits long term.

I think we rotate the young skill guys too,  Sanders more so.   Due to his position.   But I think JJAW gets a decent amount of reps for a #4 WR.  Because I think he will earn them.  I think Hollins will get some reps too to spell DeSean on them go routes.  Of course he may still be injured and on IR.   I think Dillard plays some for sure.... but when Peters comes out and when its garbage time.   I don't think he is all of a sudden ..."WOW we need to put him in over JP because look at how he is roadgrading guys"  Peters was playing extremely well until the season ending injury in 2017.  Last year he still was above average and played his best vs Chicago as the injuries were settling down.   They aren't saving him for future years, so he knows its now or never.  I think similar to Wentz, being a year removed from the injury will help.    I also think he could be probowl and we still say sorry we aren't bringing you back in 2020.    

Tough call on how exactly the Peters Dillard transition goes. If Peters is slightly injured and comes out in the second half and Dillard finishes the game. If Peters can start the next week he gets the nod most likely. If Peters get injured week 9 and is out a few weeks...I don’t know. Might not look back. Obviously depends how the rook looks once he gets in. I think Peters is about average when healthy at this point. The crazy situation would be if Peters actually holds up and Lane is the one that goes out. What do you do then?

15 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

Disagree on point one .... hoping with you on the middle point that the young guys can be long term .... also can see Maddox actually starting a FS over McCloud this year, and long term will depend on who else steps up at CB or S as to where he plays.  

IDK we can agree to disagree  ... I saw a lot of mocks with the Eagles taking a S early.  Where people explained how it was a need. McCloud being on his last year and Jenkins getting older.  But I can see where your opinion of the other young backups (fanboy style)  can make you think S isn't a need.   Countess we picked up after the draft though, same with Brown at LB.  So I am looking at things from that time perspective.    Personally, I think everything is a need past the current year... except QB and TE... so going into this draft I didn't really care even though I was hoping for DL simply because I love studs on my DL.  But I think a writer can spin any position as a need when looking past this year.   But before draft for 2019 ... I think LB, RB and S were the spots everyone was looking at just for this year.  

Tough call on how exactly the Peters Dillard transition goes. If Peters is slightly injured and comes out in the second half and Dillard finishes the game. If Peters can start the next week he gets the nod most likely. If Peters get injured week 9 and is out a few weeks...I don’t know. Might not look back. Obviously depends how the rook looks once he gets in. I think Peters is about average when healthy at this point. The crazy situation would be if Peters actually holds up and Lane is the one that goes out. What do you do then?

Big V.  Dillard stays LT IMO.

If Brooks is back... Lane gets hurt .... Big V ... or Wiz to LG and Seumalo to RT.   Or the Rugby guy.... But I don't see either Dillard or Peters at RT.   Maybe even Pryor at RT.  

Dillard drafted to be LT from 2020 - 2030.  Filling it at LT if needed this year, don't see that changing.  

Jenkins, McLeod, Sendejo and Sullivan with Maddox also in the fold. But you think S was the big need? You got to sell me harder on that opinion. That’s as good as I’ve seen....like ever here. When have we had three experienced starters and two young guys look so capable?

. The crazy situation would be if Peters actually holds up and Lane is the one that goes out. What do you do then?

Although ... I've said this before a few times.... don;t think Big V is as good at RT as he is at LT?   So who knows?  Probably the other options I said, but still don't think they mess with Dillard.  

Jenkins, McLeod, Sendejo and Sullivan with Maddox also in the fold. But you think S was the big need? You got to sell me harder on that opinion. That’s as good as I’ve seen....like ever here. When have we had three experienced starters and two young guys look so capable?

IDK... again though ... it wasn't me saying it as it was the guys doing the mocks.  The writers.  Right now though... how is McCloud looking?   See my thing, stay consistent with injured guys.  Because you want to think they reached for position need instead of the best players... you need McCloud to be a 100% sure thing with the injury?   IDK?  But it makes you feel good brining Peters injury up.  Very easily ... just look at McCloud and Jenkins ... McCloud injured and Jenkins getting older.    

IDK... I see Jernigan as a very good player at a key position if he didn't get hurt.   You like to bring up we got lucky because he got hurt because of the money.... but he would have been earning the salary if he was healthy?    Its all how you spin it.    I don't have to sell anything, I just want good players drafted and feel like they really like the players.   But again, other than QB and TE, anyone could spin any of the other positions one way or the other.  

It could be one of those situations(if Lane was out and Peters still in)....I like Seumalo at RT better than V. But would uprooting my LG to RT and then moving in a new LG be the answer. Or do I just insert V at RT to not disrupt the whole line? They already said Dillard is strictly learning LT. Moving Peters to RT and inserting Dillard at LT is also an option. Tough call if things went down like that.

2 minutes ago, joemas6 said:

IDK... again though ... it wasn't me saying it as it was the guys doing the mocks.  The writers.  Right now though... how is McCloud looking?   See my thing, stay consistent with injured guys.  Because you want to think they reached for position need instead of the best players... you need McCloud to be a 100% sure thing with the injury?   IDK?  But it makes you feel good brining Peters injury up.  Very easily ... just look at McCloud and Jenkins ... McCloud injured and Jenkins getting older.    

IDK... I see Jernigan as a very good player at a key position if he didn't get hurt.   You like to bring up we got lucky because he got hurt because of the money.... but he would have been earning the salary if he was healthy?    Its all how you spin it.    I don't have to sell anything, I just want good players drafted and feel like they really like the players.   But again, other than QB and TE, anyone could spin any of the other positions one way or the other.  

I think Sendejo has it covered if McLeod can’t go week one. I would be fine with Sullivan even for a few weeks. Just wouldn’t rush McLeod...even though he’s only on one year contract. Similar to Brooks. But we don’t have the depth at G like S. But I wouldn’t rush Brooks back. And I don’t think Jernigan was ever earning to be like top five player on the team salary. Good player. Not great player though.

But I really liked the second round options in this draft at S. 

You think Sendejo is a lock?    That 4th round comp pick we can get back if he isn;t here week 10.   But overall... I like our S too.  But I like our WRs too.  RB, I think was a need... but I think they really liked Sanders or they could have picked RB second or traded down.  QB though, I am with you, they had him in mind and got him.   The DE... ehh... he is in the mix, enough young kids maybe one stands out?   Its #4 in the rotation anyway.  Who knows.