DaveSpadaro

[News] Early Thinking On Some Roster Battles To Watch

2 hours ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

Alshon,Djax,AG,JJaw,Hollins,Ertz,Goedert,Rogers,Howard,Clement,Sanders-my god good luck defending this HAHAHAHA

Scary part about all this think was talking to Ham about it even our 4th TE Perkins could be a threat on numerous teams in the NFL I fully believe he could be a backup(quality backup at that) for half the teams in the league if not more shows how deep our TE group is 

As for the WRs likely won’t be thrown into the top WR units in the league because we don’t have the star power of a Julio of a Odell but I do believe we have one of the most well rounded WR groups in the league that can beat you in so many different ways 

38 minutes ago, downwithdallas said:

Frankly we can have all the talent in the world if our offensive line can't block we are in trouble. I can honestly say I'm worried about our guards holding up this year. I hope Brooks comes back in elite form but there is no guarantee on that. Seumalo and Wis have consistently struggled so far in their careers and have been up and down in starting positions. I hope we can find a group that gels this year but I can honestly say that I'm worried there.

I would like to see a veteran G added before the season but I'm not sure that I see that happening. 

Health is always a concern in football but think we are alright across the board at OL....Semaulo and Wis just need to be able to combine they are both pretty good in one area but lack in the other Semaulo(better Run Blocker) Wis better pass protection.....As for Brooks I’m not that concerned about him think he will come back fine issue is when will he come back good chance he is not ready week 1....Unlikely we add another vet G after we just added a vet G in Wis 

Preseason dates and times were released.

Thursday Aug. 8 Tennessee Titans at Philadelphia Eagles 7:30pm

Thursday Aug. 15 Philadelphia Eagles at Jacksonville Jaguars 7:00pm

Thursday Aug. 22 Baltimore Ravens at Philadelphia Eagles 7:30pm 

Thursday Aug. 29 Philadelphia Eagles at New York Jets 7:00pm

https://nflcommunications.com/Documents/05 XX 19 - Preseason schedule dates and times.pdf

29 minutes ago, BleedingGreen93 said:

Health is always a concern in football but think we are alright across the board at OL....Semaulo and Wis just need to be able to combine they are both pretty good in one area but lack in the other Semaulo(better Run Blocker) Wis better pass protection.....As for Brooks I’m not that concerned about him think he will come back fine issue is when will he come back good chance he is not ready week 1....Unlikely we add another vet G after we just added a vet G in Wis 

I know that's what scares me. Wis is why with a healthy Brooks we couldn't run the ball last year. We had more TFLs given up then any team in the league last year. Now Brooks is out and it's 2 lesser Guards. Everything starts and stops with the middle. You can't make a hole if the middle collapses in the run game and you can't make a pocket if you have penetration up the middle in the pass game. Brooks will be back but we need to find a second interior G.

Jets made follow up phone interviews with all 4 candidates.

Jason McIntyre‏Verified account @jasonrmcintyre

Bad news Jets fans: As of *right now*, Joe Douglas turned the Jets down. It ONLY came down to money.

Although it's just shorts and tees, this Whiteside's fun to watch. Let's get the pads on!

4 hours ago, BleedingGreen93 said:

That why I think it would be huge for Scott to show excellent value as a return man to me that should secure him a 4th RB slot over other guys alone....If he shows more maybe he can compete with Clement for that 3rd RB role even though I see it as Clements job to lose 

Not so sure on Clement’s job to lose. You can only dress so many players on game day. It’s anumbers game. Do we need more than three RBs on game days? If Howard and Sanders are rolling how many plays will a third RB get? I think Scott has a real opportunity to earn the third RB role because of this. Plenty of ifs here still obviously. But IF he wins the returner job(I think he will). He needs to show he can pick up the offense. Mostly actually showing he can pick up pass protection responsibilities.  I believe he can be decent running the ball and receiving. And I only think that equals three carries a game and maybe a catch. So why dress a fourth RB? All IF he can deliver on those IFs.

OTAs... nobody has blocked, tackled or broken a tackle yet.   

We got a Boston Scott somehow ahead of Clement?

And in addition to Wiz, we need another vet at backup G.   Not sure around the league how many teams have 2 guards as good as Wiz, let alone 3.    Not sure how many teams have 3 RBs better than Clement?

It's nice to see where people's minds wander this time of year.  Me, I guess it looks like the young guys will battle for the #4 DE spot, and hoping the local kid and fellow alumni can get on the PS and work towards being our future center.    But the QB remains the key, regardless of how many leg sleeves he wears.  

3 hours ago, joemas6 said:

OTAs... nobody has blocked, tackled or broken a tackle yet.   

We got a Boston Scott somehow ahead of Clement?

And in addition to Wiz, we need another vet at backup G.   Not sure around the league how many teams have 2 guards as good as Wiz, let alone 3.    Not sure how many teams have 3 RBs better than Clement?

It's nice to see where people's minds wander this time of year.  Me, I guess it looks like the young guys will battle for the #4 DE spot, and hoping the local kid and fellow alumni can get on the PS and work towards being our future center.    But the QB remains the key, regardless of how many leg sleeves he wears.  

I don't,Scott will fight for the 4-5 RB spot.If he can't make that, Sproles gets a phone call. Wondering about Smalls.At times he seems great,at other times flat.Could see another bryce brown situation there 

12 hours ago, downwithdallas said:

I know that's what scares me. Wis is why with a healthy Brooks we couldn't run the ball last year. We had more TFLs given up then any team in the league last year. Now Brooks is out and it's 2 lesser Guards. Everything starts and stops with the middle. You can't make a hole if the middle collapses in the run game and you can't make a pocket if you have penetration up the middle in the pass game. Brooks will be back but we need to find a second interior G.

I love the value having that Grizzled vet there...really not worried if we didn’t get one. We have a lot of veteran leadership on the OL. Add the caliber of RB talent this yr has Been significantly upgraded... we need our young linemen to show they belong. Peters, Kelce, Brooks and Johnson are getting up there in age. I want to see some of our young guys seize a position. We need to keep the youth infusion rolling. I believe our OLine health issues along with the youth  inexperience and lack of a game breaking RB talent last season,  contributed to our poor grades for our RB group as a whole last year. We are in a much better place this season. Both in the RB room and at the OL.

2 hours ago, trini said:

I love the value having that Grizzled vet there...really not worried if we didn’t get one. We have a lot of veteran leadership on the OL. Add the caliber of RB talent this yr has Been significantly upgraded... we need our young linemen to show they belong. Peters, Kelce, Brooks and Johnson are getting up there in age. I want to see some of our young guys seize a position. We need to keep the youth infusion rolling. I believe our OLine health issues along with the youth  inexperience and lack of a game breaking RB talent last season,  contributed to our poor grades for our RB group as a whole last year. We are in a much better place this season. Both in the RB room and at the OL.

How are we in a much better place at OL? We actually will start the year without Brooks using the same guys that couldn't hold up last year. Wis was benched before Brooks went out because he was struggling not after. The OL struggles were a season wide issue not just after the injuries. JP HOPEFULLY has a better backup but that's still to be seen as well and don't forget he was not really asked to run block in college. Can he even do it? That question still needs to answered as well. We are hoping to have young guys that couldn't beat out the same players they sat behind last year and UDFA to make a jump. I wouldn't hold my breath on that transition. We may get lucky and find a diamond in the rough. Odds are though we go into the season with basically the same OL just swapping in Dillard for Warmack.

I will give you a much better RB room but they still can't run if there is penetration in their face as soon as they get the ball. We led the NFL in giving up TFL because of our OL not our RBs.

Look at all the top tier teams in the NFL we all have 1 thing in common top tier OL and look how they are built inside out. I expect Jacksonville to make a big jump this year with Foles for that reason. Putting a capable QB behind that line should do pretty good.

3 minutes ago, downwithdallas said:

How are we in a much better place at OL? We actually will start the year without Brooks using the same guys that couldn't hold up last year. Wis was benched before Brooks went out because he was struggling not after. The OL struggles were a season wide issue not just after the injuries. JP HOPEFULLY has a better backup but that's still to be seen as well and don't forget he was not really asked to run block in college. Can he even do it? That question still needs to answered as well. We are hoping to have young guys that couldn't beat out the same players they sat behind last year and UDFA to make a jump. I wouldn't hold my breath on that transition. We may get lucky and find a diamond in the rough. Odds are though we go into the season with basically the same OL just swapping in Dillard for Warmack.

I will give you a much better RB room but they still can't run if there is penetration in their face as soon as they get the ball. We led the NFL in giving up TFL because of our OL not our RBs.

Look at all the top tier teams in the NFL we all have 1 thing in common top tier OL and look how they are built inside out. I expect Jacksonville to make a big jump this year with Foles for that reason. Putting a capable QB behind that line should do pretty good.

1.  I think the OL suffered last year early when Kelce got dinged on like the first play, everyone else seemed to get dinged a lot too. 

2. The playcalling went too pass happy and was a little predictable in that regard,  especially for Doug, who I think usually does a great job keeping it a little unpredictable. 

3. Losing all our speed #2 outside WRs and Alshon just getting started after recovering from injury,  the defense didn't really respect the spacing, they were up in our face and crowding the box without worry. 

Lots of factors.  Not just Wiz. Let's be honest.   And Jax is gonna stink this year, come on.  Foles is who he is. 

Btw, I think Brooks starts week 1.  

37 minutes ago, joemas6 said:

Foles is who he is. 

A QB that did more with less last year then Wentz, you can quote stats the bottom line is WINS. With no secondary on defense and without Brooks and JP coming out part of every game just about. The only QB in franchise history to win a superbowl. Had arguably an MVP year 27TDs 2INTs 1 of 5 players in NFL history to throw 7 TDs in a game. If Alshon didn't drop that pass we were driving to go to the NFC championship game to play a team he already beat that year. Oh ya and who out played the greatest QB EVER in the superbowl. Every year he has had a good offensive line he has done great. The year he struggled with Chip our OL was walking wounded and he still out played Vick. In StL he had no OL not to mention Jeff Fisher as a head coach. The beginning of last year he had no recievers AG was his #1 with I honestly don't remember who was #2 it was that bad (Jeffery, Wallace and Hollins were all hurt). I think he will do just fine in Jacksonville. 

4 minutes ago, Don Corleone said:

Doug Marrone is not Doug Pederson. Yeah Flip is there, but that coaching staff isn't this one.

3 years ago we were getting laughed at for signing Peterson if you remember right. Marrone was not. He might not be the same coach but that doesn't mean he can't have success either.

6 minutes ago, downwithdallas said:

3 years ago we were getting laughed at for signing Peterson if you remember right. Marrone was not. He might not be the same coach but that doesn't mean he can't have success either.

Who cares if people were laughing? The same thing happened when Reid was hired. I also never said he wouldn't be successful, having said that, Foles isn't playing in the same offense that he was playing in last year.

Marrone isn't as good of a HC and if you'll remember, people were criticizing Marrone for the way he left the Bills, because he quit on them.

2 minutes ago, Don Corleone said:

Who cares if people were laughing? The same thing happened when Reid was hired. I also never said he wouldn't be successful, having said that, Foles isn't playing in the same offense that he was playing in last year.

I will be willing to admit I'm wrong if he fails but as a betting man I'm placing my bet later this year that they make the playoffs when I go to Vegas. 

1 minute ago, downwithdallas said:

I will be willing to admit I'm wrong if he fails but as a betting man I'm placing my bet later this year that they make the playoffs when I go to Vegas. 

I couldn't care less. They made the playoffs in 2017 too and what happened? Right, Marrone got too conservative and they lost in the AFCCG, something Doug spoke about in his book.

Zach Berman‏Verified account @ZBerm

Eagles took a field trip to South Bowl in South Philly for bowling today instead of their scheduled OTAs today. Two years ago, Pederson cancelled an OTA for a paintball excursion.

21 minutes ago, Don Corleone said:

I couldn't care less. They made the playoffs in 2017 too and what happened? Right, Marrone got too conservative and they lost in the AFCCG, something Doug spoke about in his book.

We made the playoffs last year and failed to I guess that was all on Peterson right? The players quit on him much more than it was his fault. He can't make the plays.