DaveSpadaro

[News] Early Thinking On Some Roster Battles To Watch

9 minutes ago, Don Corleone said:

Said a few weeks ago that he would be close to Corry's number of $32 million, the new 4 years is exactly that.

Glad that's out of the way

Great for Carson. I pretty well nailed that cost. I knew the guarantee would be high. I’m sure it’s a complex contract that we will hear more details about. 32 mil was the going rate. By the end of that extension I expect that price will be cheap comparatively.

Eagles veteran players now signed for at least 3 more seasons:
* QB Carson Wentz
* TE Zach Ertz
* DT Fletcher Cox
* C Jason Kelce
* OT Lane Johnson
* DE Brandon Graham
* WR Alshon Jeffery
* DT Malik Jackson
* WR DeSean Jackson
* LB Nigel Bradham
* G Isaac Seumalo

2 hours ago, 1wrangler said:

Anyone see the KEY stat in that game? 

That and TOP.Pats can be beaten if you keep Brady off the field.But you need a "grind it out,move the sticks,be sure to score" offense to do it.They can do that vs you also(they will miss Gronk here lol),so you gotta win that little war too

On 6/5/2019 at 9:04 PM, cunninghamtheman said:

Not so sure on Clement’s job to lose. You can only dress so many players on game day. It’s anumbers game. Do we need more than three RBs on game days? If Howard and Sanders are rolling how many plays will a third RB get? I think Scott has a real opportunity to earn the third RB role because of this. Plenty of ifs here still obviously. But IF he wins the returner job(I think he will). He needs to show he can pick up the offense. Mostly actually showing he can pick up pass protection responsibilities.  I believe he can be decent running the ball and receiving. And I only think that equals three carries a game and maybe a catch. So why dress a fourth RB? All IF he can deliver on those IFs.

That a question to ask the coach we have dressed 4 RBs under Doug plenty even when we have had two good RBs at the top of the depth chart so not sure why you think it will change all of a sudden.

Looking forward to seeing the exact contract details.   6 years 154 mil.  Gotta think big signing bonus with this year's salary absorbed in...  while giving Wentz the highest " guarantee"  watch how these cap #s are low... then a new deal gets done after 2022.   

My guess Wemtz doesn't see a $30 mil cap hit until a few years into his 3rd contract.   

Got this out of the way, once the numbers come out,  will be nice to see what type of cap space we have to work with in the near future, my guess, a lot more than people think.

58 minutes ago, Don Corleone said:

DC, gotta see all the numbers and how it looks ..when does the signing bonus kick in, is there a roster bonus somewhere... how much 2019 salary is the guaranteed part of the money? 

I kinda figured $60 plus mil signing bonus to alleviate some of the cap hits down the road... if the 2023 and 2024 years have high salaries, we could be looking at pretty low cap hits these next 3 years. 

I can't wait to see the numbers. 

I also like where this puts the Rams and Cowboys,  both QBs haven't missed a game and won in playoffs... come on man , pay those guys...lol.

1 minute ago, joemas6 said:

DC, gotta see all the numbers and how it looks ..when does the signing bonus kick in, is there a roster bonus somewhere... how much 2019 salary is the guaranteed part of the money? 

I kinda figured $60 plus mil signing bonus to alleviate some of the cap hits down the road... if the 2023 and 2024 years have high salaries, we could be looking at pretty low cap hits these next 3 years. 

I can't wait to see the numbers. 

I also like where this puts the Rams and Cowboys,  both QBs haven't missed a game and won in playoffs... come on man , pay those guys...lol.

Should know in a few days, that's usually how it goes. The initial numbers are revealed to shock and awe, then a few days later when you get the meat and potatoes of the contract, it's "oh, that's not bad at all."

I don't like or understand injury guarantees - isn't that what insurance is for? Injuries are a part of the NFL, it's not a matter of "if" but "when". Teams should offer the insurance as part of a players' contract, just like any other business.

12 hours ago, Don Corleone said:

25.8 is a steal for the Eagles

Allows them to keep talent around Wentz

He was supposed to be at eight and half mil cap hit this year. Really could help to go ahead and absorb some of the cap this year. Huge to get this contract done this season. Don’t get me wrong...it’s a ton of dough. Much more manageable long term though. Next year he was at 22.8 mil hit. So that might end up being the biggest hit of the six years. 

52 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

He was supposed to be at eight and half mil cap hit this year. Really could help to go ahead and absorb some of the cap this year. Huge to get this contract done this season. Don’t get me wrong...it’s a ton of dough. Much more manageable long term though. Next year he was at 22.8 mil hit. So that might end up being the biggest hit of the six years. 

Ham... salary needs to go up by 30% each year on contracts extended past 2020... or I should correct myself, they can only go up by 30% each year.  

If the signing bonus is in the $60 mil range... that's $12 mil each year for the next 5.   The contract should be designed where the salary goes up and the cap hit goes up each year.  2024 will be no dead money.   

If all goes well,  he's probably going to get a new deal in 2023, either before, during or after that season.  Bring the cap hits down again, this will be the biggest contract of Wentz career... Howie will get a jump on that too, to keep the cap hits down.   Might not see a $30 mil cap hit for 7 or 8 years.

8 minutes ago, joemas6 said:

Ham... salary needs to go up by 30% each year on contracts extended past 2020... or I should correct myself, they can only go up by 30% each year.  

If the signing bonus is in the $60 mil range... that's $12 mil each year for the next 5.   The contract should be designed where the salary goes up and the cap hit goes up each year.  2024 will be no dead money.   

If all goes well,  he's probably going to get a new deal in 2023, either before, during or after that season.  Bring the cap hits down again, this will be the biggest contract of Wentz career... Howie will get a jump on that too, to keep the cap hits down.   Might not see a $30 mil cap hit for 7 or 8 years.

If this is the case next year’s cap hit will be brutal. At 23.8 already next year. Adding 12 from the signing bonus obviously makes 35.8 mil hit. But that’s why I was saying next season’s cap hit might be the steepest of all. I wasn’t thinking that big on signing bonus because of that though. I was thinking it would be around 30 mil hit next year. So I was thinking the signing bonus actually wouldn’t be mega...that would put the signing bonus in the thirty mil range.

My guess on this deal... cap hits

2019... $13-15 mil

2020 ... 22 mil

2021 ... 25 mil

2022... 29 mil

Then it gets redone.    The guaranteed $107 mil should be his signing bonus plus 4 years salary. With the idea they weren't going to cut him with two years of dead cap hit anyway.   

Locking up Wentz now, costing probably $5-7 mil of cap space this year, relatively the same as what he was due next year.  Now you guarantee 2 years for Jenkins and/or add -$2-3 mil... and you have plenty of space to make any extra needed moves with a ton to carry forward next year.   

In other words,  don't worry about the cap.  If we don't want to pay a guy, it's because we don't think he is worth it

3 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

If this is the case next year’s cap hit will be brutal. At 23.8 already next year. Adding 12 from the signing bonus obviously makes 35.8 mil hit. But that’s why I was saying next season’s cap hit might be the steepest of all. I wasn’t thinking that big on signing bonus because of that though. I was thinking it would be around 30 mil hit next year. So I was thinking the signing bonus actually wouldn’t be mega...that would put the signing bonus in the thirty mil range.

1 minute ago, cunninghamtheman said:

My fault 22.8 next season already not 23.8. 

Ham... if he got the $60 mil signing bonus... prorate that for 5 years at $12 mil per.  Then add the salary in.  This year, probably very minimal. Next year probably around $9-11 mil... then go up 30% each year.    

The $22 mil cap hit would be with estimates of $12 mil signing plus $10 mil salary.  I'm just guessing here on those estimates.   At $66 mil guaranteed at signing... could be $65 mil bonus with $1 mil salary for 2019.  Would make the cap hits on the bonus $13 mil each year.   We will find out soon enough. 

1 minute ago, joemas6 said:

My guess on this deal... cap hits

2019... $13-15 mil

2020 ... 22 mil

2021 ... 25 mil

2022... 29 mil

Then it gets redone.    The guaranteed $107 mil should be his signing bonus plus 4 years salary. With the idea they weren't going to cut him with two years of dead cap hit anyway.   

Locking up Wentz now, costing probably $5-7 mil of cap space this year, relatively the same as what he was due next year.  Now you guarantee 2 years for Jenkins and/or add -$2-3 mil... and you have plenty of space to make any extra needed moves with a ton to carry forward next year.   

In other words,  don't worry about the cap.  If we don't want to pay a guy, it's because we don't think he is worth it

Doesn’t work. If they went 35 mil signing that would be : 15.5 mil in 2019

29.8 in 2020

That leaves you with just under 29 the other seasons.

1 minute ago, cunninghamtheman said:

Doesn’t work. If they went 35 mil signing that would be : 15.5 mil in 2019

29.8 in 2020

That leaves you with just under 29 the other seasons.

Ham, I still think you have trouble understanding contracts.  Forget the previous amounts, that got replaced by the new contract. It's not added on to what he was already scheduled to make, not how it works.

Just now, joemas6 said:

Ham, I still think you have trouble understanding contracts.  Forget the previous amounts, that got replaced by the new contract. It's not added on to what he was already scheduled to make, not how it works.

Oh I thought it was a signing bonus divided across five years. But this and next year’s guaranteed roster or base salaries don’t change. The cap hits just increase by signing bonus. Then the new four years have the remainder. But you think they can change the base for the next two years?

I was thinking it was more pure extension