DaveSpadaro

[News] Early Thinking On Some Roster Battles To Watch

Recommended Posts

Just now, cunninghamtheman said:

8.5 this and 22.8 next year already. I was thinking the benefit of doing the deal now is to get that 7 mil on this year’s tab.

Right... if you redo the deal... which is what happens even though they technically call it an extension.    He got his $66 mil guaranteed up front.    Most like a signing bonus in the $60-65 range and minimal 2019 salary.   The signing bonus already would increase the 2019 cap hit... but used to lower the hit down the road, look at it as probably a 4 year deal... then gets redone after 2022.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, cunninghamtheman said:

Oh I thought it was a signing bonus divided across five years. But this and next year’s guaranteed roster or base salaries don’t change. The cap hits just increase by signing bonus. Then the new four years have the remainder. But you think they can change the base for the next two years?

I was thinking it was more pure extension

Absolutely they change it... that's the benefit of doing it now.    But ... where I hesitate is 2019.  Maybe they keep the $8 mil salary?  But 2020 they technically could have cut him before the year starts, so that absolutely needs to get redone. No way do we want a monster cap hit of $30 plus mil in 2020.  

Idk... your way, they lose about $24-26 mil of cap space the next 2 years, do you think they do that?  They would go way over next year.   But the other thing is that 30% rule.  It's why I see them gradually increasing the salary from 2020 to 2024. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So for 2019... he either will keep that $8 mil salary.... or it will drop.  But the cap hit should go up this year.  But no way do I see them keeping that huge 2020 salary?  

Wentz makes out... he had basically $31 mil guaranteed over 2 years... now he has $66 up front and $107 total.  No brainer for him.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The thirty percent rule didn’t apply to the fifth year option.

  I would think it wise to take the biggest hit next year almost anyway. And I was thinking that makes it so the contract is good for five years(basically the length of signing bonus prorated hit). That sixth year not having the weight of signing bonus makes it so an extension very reasonable then.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m also not sure this will be his biggest contract. I’ve been estimating the market in six seasons being what seems outrageous today. Today being at 32 mil per year. Going to be really close to fifty mil then. At those rates ...eclipsing this contract seems likely. So many ifs involved. But I could foresee a four year extension again for him before that sixth season from now. Even just Inflation would obviously make that contract greater.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Goff should bump it up almost just by being next in line. Mahomes, Mayfield, Darnold and this year’s class hitting extensions ....crazy to think what the salaries will get to towards the end of this extension for Wentz. So many others I’m sure...the Garrapolo’s and such. All coming full circle with them backing the Brinks truck up for Wilson again.

 Might just become ownership stakes in the team by that point.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OK we paid wentz,now there is a bit of pressure on him to prove he can last a playoff season and get the team into SB position.he helped get us into position,Foles took t to the house,but Foles is gone.Although I feel Suds is ok,I really haven't seen him play enough.Apparently the staff has,but I hope we don;t need to call Suds number anytime soon

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, cunninghamtheman said:

The thirty percent rule didn’t apply to the fifth year option.

  I would think it wise to take the biggest hit next year almost anyway. And I was thinking that makes it so the contract is good for five years(basically the length of signing bonus prorated hit). That sixth year not having the weight of signing bonus makes it so an extension very reasonable then.

Right the 30% rule only applies to a contract that goes past 2020.

And no... it makes zero sense to tie up the cap space next year.  The cap will go up later and anything extra rolls forward. 

I can go through the exercise of giving an example one more time but it seems actual numbers won't help because you are stubborn in getting the concept out of your head about taking a cap hit early for some reason?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, cunninghamtheman said:

A four year extension at what? Thirty one years old...very possible.

Absolutely... he will never see year 6, probably never year 5 of the current contract.  They will extend and redo again.  Another reason why it makes no sense to take the big cap hit next year. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

OK we paid wentz,now there is a bit of pressure on him to prove he can last a playoff season and get the team into SB position.he helped get us into position,Foles took t to the house,but Foles is gone.Although I feel Suds is ok,I really haven't seen him play enough.Apparently the staff has,but I hope we don;t need to call Suds number anytime soon

I gotta be honest... he should be playing to win the Superbowl.   Anything less should be a disappointment in his own mind.  All the other stuff to me is just BS... makes for good fiction and headlines,  but athletes play for championships. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, joemas6 said:

I gotta be honest... he should be playing to win the Superbowl.   Anything less should be a disappointment in his own mind.  All the other stuff to me is just BS... makes for good fiction and headlines,  but athletes play for championships. 

agreed,with all the moves we made off season and what I would call a decent draft we gave him all the tools.Now it's on the coaching staff to not muff this.They have the players to do this. O(on paper) SHOULD be better than before and if the D can step it up even a little bit,we should be right there 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No Mas no need for examples. I get what you’re saying. If it isn’t a pure extension...and it’s really a whole new contract then the possibilities are endless. And I get that it’s a rolling cap. Which only helps if you leave some on the table to actually roll instead of spending it all. Either/any way I’m happy Carson got taken care of this offseason. Huge difference now versus later

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I DO need to agree here with DWD.I would go get a vet G,just in case.Think that is the position with the least depth

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Next point I want to make.I was totally STUNNED when the boyz played at the Linc.We came out flat and lackluster and by the time we got it together that game was already gone.need to see some old school "I"M PO"D and I'm comin for you" attitude.I want Dullaz- BOTH GAMES!!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/19/2019 at 1:14 AM, downwithdallas said:

Let's say a 6 year 180m 100m guaranteed year 1 10m fully year 2 22m fully 3 26m fully  4 30m 22m fully 8m roster 5 35 m 15m fully 6m roster year 6 37m 6m fully 6m roster. 20m in roster bonus and incentives for both circumstances. 

If he has a serious injury goes to 65m fully same as 100m still covered for injuries year 3 20m fully 4 9m fully 8m roster 5 4m fully 6m roster 6 0 fully 6m roster 

The guarenteed money is pretty much what I had in my deal I would have offered if he would have got hurt in my scenario. I'm happy with the contract. I wonder how close my numbers will be. I know I had 26mil total more but it was going off what someone else said. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know peeps talk about Belicheat all the time.One of my fav coaches is Sean Peyton.Usually NO has very few draft picks or are up against a cap wall(their FO needs Howie lessons) but he always manages to get his team to play at at least a competitive level.Although he is "famous" IMO he is still underrated

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m not in that mode yet. I want to see these young Oline get plenty of reps at TC and preseason. Seumalo proved himself to me. Legit starter. Now him perfecting the LG spot(insteadof learning every position along the line) I’d expect a big jump forward in performance still. Brooks seems likely to be on track to start before too long in the season. Wis gives us the experienced vet. Life won’t suck with him in there. But we have V training for the spot. Pryor. And the top undrafted Gs. Just not in desperation at this point. More thinking we discover what these young guys have to offer. That’s like four young guys competing for the fourth G spot. That’s good competition. And they have to beat out V for that fourth spot. We only go there if Kelce and a G goes down anyway. Have to move Wis to C. Otherwise they only get a shot if they really show great and demand playing time. Pretty ideal competition scenario.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

No Mas no need for examples. I get what you’re saying. If it isn’t a pure extension...and it’s really a whole new contract then the possibilities are endless. And I get that it’s a rolling cap. Which only helps if you leave some on the table to actually roll instead of spending it all. Either/any way I’m happy Carson got taken care of this offseason. Huge difference now versus later

Ham... the rolling cap...  your only issue with being able to use money instead of rolling it forward is of you think they are going to waste it.    I think we need to get past that now.   

I think they spend what they want to spend for that player.  The idea if they had 50 mil of cap space that they would keep Michael Bennett and just pay him an extra 3 mil to shut him up... I don't think it's how they operate.  

They will spend how they want to... regardless of the cap space,  they won't overpay for someone in their own minds

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, downwithdallas said:

The guarenteed money is pretty much what I had in my deal I would have offered if he would have got hurt in my scenario. I'm happy with the contract. I wonder how close my numbers will be. I know I had 26mil total more but it was going off what someone else said. 

Dwd.. the overall number really is irrelevant... we can look at it like a 4 year deal in reality, once we see the numbers.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

I’m not in that mode yet. I want to see these young Oline get plenty of reps at TC and preseason. Seumalo proved himself to me. Legit starter. Now him perfecting the LG spot(insteadof learning every position along the line) I’d expect a big jump forward in performance still. Brooks seems likely to be on track to start before too long in the season. Wis gives us the experienced vet. Life won’t suck with him in there. But we have V training for the spot. Pryor. And the top undrafted Gs. Just not in desperation at this point. More thinking we discover what these young guys have to offer. That’s like four young guys competing for the fourth G spot. That’s good competition. And they have to beat out V for that fourth spot. We only go there if Kelce and a G goes down anyway. Have to move Wis to C. Otherwise they only get a shot if they really show great and demand playing time. Pretty ideal competition scenario.

having alot of bodies doesn't do it for me.Sure there will be competition no matter,but 50 guys who are "mediocre" wont get it done.I hope you are right.If you are wrong it could make for a long season running the ball

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

I’m not in that mode yet. I want to see these young Oline get plenty of reps at TC and preseason. Seumalo proved himself to me. Legit starter. Now him perfecting the LG spot(insteadof learning every position along the line) I’d expect a big jump forward in performance still. Brooks seems likely to be on track to start before too long in the season. Wis gives us the experienced vet. Life won’t suck with him in there. But we have V training for the spot. Pryor. And the top undrafted Gs. Just not in desperation at this point. More thinking we discover what these young guys have to offer. That’s like four young guys competing for the fourth G spot. That’s good competition. And they have to beat out V for that fourth spot. We only go there if Kelce and a G goes down anyway. Have to move Wis to C. Otherwise they only get a shot if they really show great and demand playing time. Pretty ideal competition scenario.

Agree...  looking around the league, who has a better depth situation at guard? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

having alot of bodies doesn't do it for me.Sure there will be competition no matter,but 50 guys who are "mediocre" wont get it done.I hope you are right.If you are wrong it could make for a long season running the ball

Agree... what should do it for you are the two backups who started on the left side of your OL during the SB run.  Not sure any other team can say that?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

I’m not in that mode yet. I want to see these young Oline get plenty of reps at TC and preseason. Seumalo proved himself to me. Legit starter. Now him perfecting the LG spot(insteadof learning every position along the line) I’d expect a big jump forward in performance still. Brooks seems likely to be on track to start before too long in the season. Wis gives us the experienced vet. Life won’t suck with him in there. But we have V training for the spot. Pryor. And the top undrafted Gs. Just not in desperation at this point. More thinking we discover what these young guys have to offer. That’s like four young guys competing for the fourth G spot. That’s good competition. And they have to beat out V for that fourth spot. We only go there if Kelce and a G goes down anyway. Have to move Wis to C. Otherwise they only get a shot if they really show great and demand playing time. Pretty ideal competition scenario.

Just saying I see ZERO problems to getting another vet G in here.if he gets beat out so be it!!! But at least we explored every possibility

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

Just saying I see ZERO problems to getting another vet G in here.if he gets beat out so be it!!! But at least we explored every possibility

Sure... let's get vets at every spot.  Especially the ones where we don't have 2 backups that started during the SB run.   I have no problem with that. Bring in the best 106 guys to compete for the 53.  I'm sure they are thinking the same, I bet we have 3 to 5 guys play in 2019 that aren't on our roster yet 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now