DaveSpadaro

[News] Early Thinking On Some Roster Battles To Watch

11 minutes ago, Don Corleone said:

But yeah, the Eagles are screwed after 2019 because of the contract they gave Wentz and that they lost Joe Douglas. Never mind the facts of them having the majority of these guys locked up beyond 2020 and Howie having a decent draft record before Douglas, oh and that he's already brought in some guys like Andrew Berry.

Yeah but... People gonna hate and gonna moan right? Someone on here a few weeks ago, can't remember who now, told me there was no way we could sign Wentz to a long term deal. The money, the cap space didn't work beyond this year. Yet here we are. 

Just now, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Yeah but... People gonna hate and gonna moan right? Someone on here a few weeks ago, can't remember who now, told me there was no way we could sign Wentz to a long term deal. The money, the cap space didn't work beyond this year. Yet here we are. 

There have been quite a few people that said they weren't going to sign him to an extension this year. "No way" they said :lol:

People are also saying that you can't pay other's because of the Wentz deal and that you can't have more than one player making $100 million. Too bad none of that is accurate.

13 minutes ago, Don Corleone said:

But yeah, the Eagles are screwed after 2019 because of the contract they gave Wentz and that they lost Joe Douglas. Never mind the facts of them having the majority of these guys locked up beyond 2020 and Howie having a decent draft record before Douglas, oh and that he's already brought in some guys like Andrew Berry.

I can't believe I'm actually agreeing with you on something but this is true. We have the pieces in place for a few more good years and the cap wizard at the helm. Not to mention his drafting record is actually pretty good. 

1 minute ago, downwithdallas said:

I can't believe I'm actually agreeing with you on something but this is true. We have the pieces in place for a few more good years and the cap wizard at the helm. Not to mention his drafting record is actually pretty good. 

:lol:

Hell hath frozen over.

4 minutes ago, Don Corleone said:

There have been quite a few people that said they weren't going to sign him to an extension this year. "No way" they said :lol:

People are also saying that you can't pay other's because of the Wentz deal and that you can't have more than one player making $100 million. Too bad none of that is accurate.

People gonna spout rubbish right? Howie has the cap very much under control and he'll continue to maneuvering the cap to our advantage. 

3 minutes ago, Don Corleone said:

You miss quoted me on the two 100 million dollar contracts. I said you won't have near the talent in players unless we draft good because we won't be able to pay other top talent players to come here in free agency and it will be hard to keep all the talent we have in house with 2 huge contracts. Which is 100% true.

Just now, downwithdallas said:

You miss quoted me on the two 100 million dollar contracts. I said you won't have near the talent in players unless we draft good because we won't be able to pay other top talent players to come here in free agency and it will be hard to keep all the talent we have in house with 2 huge contracts. Which is 100% true.

I wasn't talking about you though.

There have been people on the EMB in general that have said those things. It didn't have to do with anyone in this section.

1 minute ago, Don Corleone said:

I wasn't talking about you though.

There have been people on the EMB in general that have said those things. It didn't have to do with anyone in this section.

My bad

I was happy as hell with the contract pretty much exactly on the numbers of the contract I had outlined . I had 6 years 180 65 million fully guaranteed 100 million injury on April 19th. It is 6 years 153 million 66 fully 107 million with injury. 

1 hour ago, downwithdallas said:

Howie drafted fine before joe and dont bring up MS2 him claiming that was strictly a PR move and Chip pushing him into it. Look at that whole draft it was all players from Chips conference that he was familiar with and Oregon players. Nobody will ever get me to believe the power struggle didn't start before that draft. Look at every other year Howie has been GM only 2011 looks that bad but Danny Watkins was going to be a 1st rd pick he was just a bust. There were no players taken out of draft position though. Even Belicheat has had a few bad drafts for the Patriots and most consider him to be one of the best GM in football. 

LOL. I am much more simplistic DWD because I am a simple person. Very little complication in my life. All you have to do to get my respect is show me with your actions. I am not impressed with talk. So this simple person has noted that without Joe Douglas No Super Bowl victories, with Joe Douglas, one Super bowl victory. I guess I should be living in the show me state. Howie Roseman in charge of the show since 2010 and no Super Bowls without Joe Douglas. After this year, Howie can still prove to me that it is his skill set in judging athletes that wins Super Bowls. Until it happens, it was Joe Douglas's skill set.

Let's overlook the fact that the Eagles didn't really have a QB after trading Donovan to the Redskins in April of 2010, it wasn't until 2016, that they landed one. Who got Wentz? Right, Howie, Douglas wasn't hired until after the 2016 draft.

It takes more than one man, but no, you're right, it was all Joe Douglas.

37 minutes ago, 1wrangler said:

LOL. I am much more simplistic DWD because I am a simple person. Very little complication in my life. All you have to do to get my respect is show me with your actions. I am not impressed with talk. So this simple person has noted that without Joe Douglas No Super Bowl victories, with Joe Douglas, one Super bowl victory. I guess I should be living in the show me state. Howie Roseman in charge of the show since 2010 and no Super Bowls without Joe Douglas. After this year, Howie can still prove to me that it is his skill set in judging athletes that wins Super Bowls. Until it happens, it was Joe Douglas's skill set.

Who drafted pretty much all those players before Douglas got here? Who brought in most of the key free agents to that team before Douglas got here?

1 hour ago, 1wrangler said:

Douglas came here May 11th 2016 after the draft and FA we won the superbowl Feb 2018 he had 1 year with the team. Tell me who in that draft class really impacted that year much. 

1 hour ago, 1wrangler said:

What about Fipp,Defillippo and Frank Reich? They kinda laid the groundwork did they not?

OK so any word on who will replace Douglas? I know they like to hire from within,but this is an important spot.IDK the Jets fired a guy that did alot for them,would we look at him?(cant spell or remember his name with 1 brain cell left)

1 hour ago, Don Corleone said:

Let's overlook the fact that the Eagles didn't really have a QB after trading Donovan to the Redskins in April of 2010, it wasn't until 2016, that they landed one. Who got Wentz? Right, Howie, Douglas wasn't hired until after the 2016 draft.

It takes more than one man, but no, you're right, it was all Joe Douglas.

Thanks for agreeing. I get tired of arguing with homers. 

19 hours ago, downwithdallas said:

I agree it probably will get redone in 4 years I'm not arguing that. But Wentz will hold all the power if he plays well and stays healthy not the organization. Either you have a franchise QB or you don't. The contract will be done on his terms not the organization saying we want to redo it. They aren't going to cut him if he doesn't do it like they have in the past with other players. 

Right ... but again, why wouldn't he want to redo.... get more money in his pocket up front... and have it guaranteed?      He just got $66 mil right .... does anyone make $66 per year?   No .... so 4 years from now, it will be the same thing.... they will offer the $70-$100 mil up front, instead of the $30 mil salary he would be getting that isn't guaranteed .... he will take the deal.    Already reported he said he doesn't care if he outperforms the deal and ultimately left money on the table as it can be used to add more talent to the roster to help the Eagles win.   (something spoken on the local radio, not sure you guys out of town can read about) 

IMO, looking ahead 4 years.... $130-150 mil already in his pocket at age 31 ... with another $100 mil plus guaranteed offered on the table ... I'm not worried about him "having control or playing hardball"   I want him to be in that perceived position that you fear where he is the star player in control.   That fear is that he is MVP level player and can ask for the moon.   Let's hope.   

5 hours ago, 1wrangler said:

Looks like we better win another Super Bowl this year cause all bets are off after that.

LOL.

3 hours ago, Don Corleone said:

It's funny, people will say stuff like "all bets are off after 2019," but will get all pissy when someone calls them on it.

Yeah, but Joe Douglas calls the plays.

The Eagles seemingly have been preparing to lose Douglas ever since they won Super Bowl LII. This offseason, they hired Andrew Berry, formerly of the Browns, as vice president of football operations. He could slide into Douglas’s role as could director of player personnel Andy Weidl if Weidl doesn’t go with Douglas. 

Why would the Eagles have been preparing to lose Douglas ever since they won Super Bowl LII? Was it because everyone in the league knew he was responsible for putting the Eagles over the hump and not Howie? Of course it was! 

In 2017, Eagles owner Jeffrey Lurie said Douglas’s hiring was "the pivotal moment of the last year.” But as it became apparent that Douglas was destined to move on, with his path to full control blocked by executive vice president Howie Roseman, Lurie became less effusive.

Loyal to a fault Jeffery. At this moment in time Howie is high up the food chain and it shouldn't matter in the least to him if Douglas has control of the roster but ego's get in the way don't they?

3 hours ago, downwithdallas said:

In theory ... but again ... take a step back and look big picture.   I've been trying to say this for a while now.   The cap is going up, the new CBA you will see the players look to get an increased share of the revenue.  1% more would  be huge.  The caps going up means teams will be able to keep their top players.    Now look at the level of FA that was out there this year.    #1 guys at each position.   Bell aside as a RB because that situation was just bizarre ... Foles, Ingrim, Tate, Cook, ... Flowers, Hicks, Collins ... (I can't even think of who a top CB would be this year)    The FA talent level should keep trending in that direction.  

The cap situation we should look at is 2019 and 2020.  Beyond that, I'm not concerned at all.   Cap will go up and maybe one uncapped year.   Regardless... you always need to draft well.   Cox will be entering year 6 of that big contract, I wouldn't consider him a $100 mil guy at that point in 2021.    To sustain the winning, draft well and stay a destination for the one year prove it deals.    The QB will be key to keeping it all together.  

3 hours ago, downwithdallas said:

I was happy as hell with the contract pretty much exactly on the numbers of the contract I had outlined . I had 6 years 180 65 million fully guaranteed 100 million injury on April 19th. It is 6 years 153 million 66 fully 107 million with injury. 

The structure to me is more important (the signing bonus as the key) .... year by year cap hits.   I'm looking forward to these details se we can see where we are now and get an idea of what we can do going forward.  

2 hours ago, 1wrangler said:

Don't forget we are 0-20 vs Russell Wilson ... we need to prove we can beat him too.