DaveSpadaro

[News] Early Thinking On Some Roster Battles To Watch

4 hours ago, joemas6 said:

Pumphry ... dude was a stud.   Traded up for him.  Was the key move, otherwise, no ring!  

GBFL.... who is our ST coach now?   Isn't Fipp still here?  

all of them helped lay the ground work for the SB team which is what Wrang was talking about

2 hours ago, 1wrangler said:

Well guys, I have to go, Nice talking to you again. A friend of mine lost his 32 year old son to a motorcyle accident in York Pa yesterday and I have to make some unpleasant telephone calls to a number of people. Audious

😥  lost a great friend 2 months ago for the same thing

3 hours ago, 1wrangler said:

Oh I'm sure there will be people on this board that hope that Douglas and his side kicks fail however I am hoping he brings good things to the Jets. Getting tired of seeing the Patriots at the top of that division. IMO being a fan since 1965, these are the type of moves that have happened through the years that have kept the Eagles from being on top more frequently. A good talent evaluator is worth their weight in gold. Jeffery Lurie constantly talks about the gold standard but he just let the Jets rob his gold.

IDK any chance we try to poach Caserio from the pats?

4 hours ago, joemas6 said:

I don't want to rely on free agency is my point

Without key free agents we don't come close to winning the superbowl. You have to pick up free agents every year. They don't always have to be big names but you need key free agents every year. Without Bradham, Jenkins, McLeod, Brooks, Jernigans, Jeffrey, Smith, Foles, Blount, Wis, Long and Robinson we don't get to or win the superbowl. 

4 hours ago, 1wrangler said:

Well guys, I have to go, Nice talking to you again. A friend of mine lost his 32 year old son to a motorcyle accident in York Pa yesterday and I have to make some unpleasant telephone calls to a number of people. Audious

Sorry to hear that it's rough losing anyone close. 

1 hour ago, downwithdallas said:

Without key free agents we don't come close to winning the superbowl. You have to pick up free agents every year. They don't always have to be big names but you need key free agents every year. Without Bradham, Jenkins, McLeod, Brooks, Jernigans, Jeffrey, Smith, Foles, Blount, Wis, Long and Robinson we don't get to or win the superbowl. 

Which one of those guys broke the bank to where you don't think we could pay them?  Of course we will need to get some free agents.  The idea to have all this cap space so we can get all the free agents... in other words 2011 strategy, it's not what is going to happen going forward.   The Colts had all the money this year, who did they buy that we couldn't have?  

Theories are fine, but looking at the specific cap numbers will give a more accurate view of things.  

13 minutes ago, joemas6 said:

Which one of those guys broke the bank to where you don't think we could pay them?  Of course we will need to get some free agents.  The idea to have all this cap space so we can get all the free agents... in other words 2011 strategy, it's not what is going to happen going forward.   The Colts had all the money this year, who did they buy that we couldn't have?  

Theories are fine, but looking at the specific cap numbers will give a more accurate view of things.  

Think they look most at "FIT",then decide if the price is right.Will be interesting to see if Bell FITS in NY or if they just bought  a big goose egg 

30 minutes ago, joemas6 said:

None of them singly broke the bank but take away any of those guys and we were not the number 1 seed and then all bets are off if we even make the superbowl. The shear volume of good to great FA that we have now we will not be able to afford as many. Does that technically mean we can't win another superbowl? No. But it will make it that much harder. Without some of them we didn't have a chance at a ring.

2 hours ago, downwithdallas said:

None of them singly broke the bank but take away any of those guys and we were not the number 1 seed and then all bets are off if we even make the superbowl. The shear volume of good to great FA that we have now we will not be able to afford as many. Does that technically mean we can't win another superbowl? No. But it will make it that much harder. Without some of them we didn't have a chance at a ring.

Like taking away Peters , Sproles, Maragos, Hicks and Wentz.  There was a decent amount of cap space on that crew too.   Again... the cap is going over $200 mil... most likely way over $200 mil soon.  Plenty of young guys in the first contract will be constantly on the team for cheap, simply do to it being a young guy's sport and that teams like to take time to develop their young talent.   

I'm not worried about Wentz and Cox hurting us going after free agents.  The Eagles are not going to overpay a guy regardless of how much cap space they have, at the same time they won't hesitate to pay a guy they truly want. 

Past 2020, they will be fine cap wise, we need to draft guys to replenish the core.  If that doesn't happen it won't matter how much cap space we have... the free agents aren't going to be enough.  

On 6/7/2019 at 2:58 PM, Don Corleone said:

DC,

I was trying to figure this math out on his new deal.   Wentz was scheduled to make just over $4 mil this year in new money.  $4 mil of his cap hit was already a prorated signing bonus.   So if he gets $66 mil at signing..  that's $62 mil of the $128 or possible $144 mil this year.  Leaving $66 or $82 mil to be given from 2020-2024.   We know the 30% rule should keep the salaries increasing each year.  

With that said... it should mean that 2020 salary should be about $9-10 mil and go up from there.  You can get to $82 mil over 5 years using that formula and the $107 guarantee is about 4 years total. 

So cap hits should be staying under $30 mil until 2023.  

The trade off should be an extra $8-12 mil of cap hit this year, probably the same or less in 2020 ($22-23 mil cap hit that would have been year 5 salary anyway) 

That still enables them to roll forward some nice money and still can make plenty of moves for the year too.  

I believe that Alshon will get his deal redone or cut next year and that will open up the room for plenty of moves on top of the carryover cap space.  

But back to Wentz, 4 years $128 mil extension.... $32 mil per year idea... doubt we see $30 mil cap hit for him.  Deal will get restructured before 2023 and lower the cap hits again.  Otherwise... $33 mil cap hit in 2023.. that isn't so bad going into 5 seasons from now, compared to what some QBs already have now! 

Goff, I see getting something similar.   At least the Rams can study the deal and try to copy it.  Dallas... lol.  They don't have a 5th year option to work with for Dak. He is scheduled to make peanuts... they need to pay him.  Will be harder keeping his cap hits down and I see him looking at the $32 mil per year #.  I would think 5 years at $150 mil, but harder to keep cap hits down. Then Zeke and the other guys will want their $$$$$. 

Money money money money..... Moooooney!  ... as the song goes... pay up Jerry!  Lol

2 minutes ago, joemas6 said:

I believe that Alshon will get his deal redone or cut next year and that will open up the room for plenty of moves on top of the carryover cap space.  

But back to Wentz, 4 years $128 mil extension.... $32 mil per year idea... doubt we see $30 mil cap hit for him.  Deal will get restructured before 2023 and lower the cap hits again.  Otherwise... $33 mil cap hit in 2023.. that isn't so bad going into 5 seasons from now, compared to what some QBs already have now! 

Agree about Alshon, might see an extension or something because his cap #'s are pretty high 2019-2021.

By the time we get to that 5th season, he may be looking at another extension anyway.

Never worried about the money with this team we are great at working the cap so not sure why we always bring up concerns about it.....New worry is who replaces Douglas(and the guys he likely takes with him at some point)....

1 hour ago, Don Corleone said:

Agree about Alshon, might see an extension or something because his cap #'s are pretty high 2019-2021.

By the time we get to that 5th season, he may be looking at another extension anyway.

Maybe we drafted JJaw with this intention.Gives him time to work in,get better and if push comes to shove,may not lose much cutting Alshon(depends if we draft another BU in the future I would suspect).Really enjoy how this team "plans ahead" but still wants to "win now".We have both of those

1 hour ago, BleedingGreen93 said:

Never worried about the money with this team we are great at working the cap so not sure why we always bring up concerns about it.....New worry is who replaces Douglas(and the guys he likely takes with him at some point)....

Winning teams always get coaches poached.....in the hopes they can work their magic there.The system and culture that we have attained makes both players and coaches WANT to play/coach here.Always a fluid animal with staff.We will miss Douglas,but maybe on the horizon is a future that could be even better.Time will judge

Liking the fact Wentz contract really doesnt kick in until 2021(as DC said).Another stellar job by Howie the magician

OK Wentz paid,now we need to see him live up to what we think he can do. Want to see him throw it away when that time comes and not try to put himself at risk forcing plays.He's a competitor and wants to win,I get that.But he needs to know we need him next week too

I'm sure the FO knows what they are doing,still as a FAN(only) it would be re-assuring to see Suds play.Not just hand the ball off but actually show the fans we could have another "Foles" BU here.I hope we are blowing teams out enough to see this happen 😁

Back story. As most know I was a TE in HS.Position has changed alot since then.Highlight was me catching the winning TD in the city series game.But TBH,I started at RB.I was never big enough to be a banger and unfortunately was not fast enough or should I say agile enough to be the scat back(I was fast-on the track team(straight line speed),but agility was always my downfall lol),so I was tried at TE and that worked out for me(nice job coach).It is however why every year,I am always enamored with RB's and why I focus on them.I suppose I always wanted to be a RB,but you go where you are best suited to play.I was fortunate to have the ability to get open and run slot plays for us.usually only a 1 cut guy(the agility thing again),but managed to get open quite a bit.Back then TE was basically "we have nowhere else to throw".But now has evolved into TE's being more offensive weapons.In case anyone cares(which I doubt).So,in HS or college let me ask all of you if you played,and at what position.Never played in college.Thought about it,but other things got in the way.

On 6/8/2019 at 11:08 AM, 1wrangler said:

LOL. I am much more simplistic DWD because I am a simple person. Very little complication in my life. All you have to do to get my respect is show me with your actions. I am not impressed with talk. So this simple person has noted that without Joe Douglas No Super Bowl victories, with Joe Douglas, one Super bowl victory. I guess I should be living in the show me state. Howie Roseman in charge of the show since 2010 and no Super Bowls without Joe Douglas. After this year, Howie can still prove to me that it is his skill set in judging athletes that wins Super Bowls. Until it happens, it was Joe Douglas's skill set.

I’m along a third way of thinking. I think the key was Rosie’s strong suit isn’t judging personnel. But he’s great at many things. Great negotiator. He doesn’t give in and overpay for a trade. He waits it out and has gotten many guys that I believe we really wanted at a much cheaper price by playing hard ball in negotiations. He is good at managing the cap. Good at contracts. Good with the media. Seems good with general people relations. Seems like players and people that work for th Eags respect him and like him(minus Chip). So he needs personnel help. As much as he can get. Remember there is a whole team of scouts. Regional, college, international and pro. All getting that to a boss or director of scouting. But the key here is that Rosie self scouted and understands his weakness. Brought in Douglas. And he’ll bring in other people to assist him in this area. Douglas is good at some things. But I don’t for a minute think he can do all that Rosie does either.

On 6/8/2019 at 1:24 PM, joemas6 said:

Right ... but again, why wouldn't he want to redo.... get more money in his pocket up front... and have it guaranteed?      He just got $66 mil right .... does anyone make $66 per year?   No .... so 4 years from now, it will be the same thing.... they will offer the $70-$100 mil up front, instead of the $30 mil salary he would be getting that isn't guaranteed .... he will take the deal.    Already reported he said he doesn't care if he outperforms the deal and ultimately left money on the table as it can be used to add more talent to the roster to help the Eagles win.   (something spoken on the local radio, not sure you guys out of town can read about) 

IMO, looking ahead 4 years.... $130-150 mil already in his pocket at age 31 ... with another $100 mil plus guaranteed offered on the table ... I'm not worried about him "having control or playing hardball"   I want him to be in that perceived position that you fear where he is the star player in control.   That fear is that he is MVP level player and can ask for the moon.   Let's hope.   

I think five years he will get his next extension. He’s under contract for six seasons. Five year prorated signing bonus. That makes the sixth season after that ideal to be setup for a new contract. Him talking about leaving money on the table...I don’t know? I said the market was 32 mil and he took 32 mil. Not sure how much money was left on that table at that point. So it’s kind of easy to say something like that when you are top paid in the league. If he would have settled for less I would have appreciated the statement. He could have played hardball and not signed that deal, maybe made more that way. But signing an extension I don’t feel like he left much meat left on the bone. And at the end of this contract the market won’t be 30 mil like you stated. Much more...trust me.

22 hours ago, joemas6 said:

Wrang... why will Howie pick the talent?    Part of why Howie worked now is because he went to hire Douglas ... dont you think he hires someone else?    

He’s seen Douglas moving on the whole time coming. Hired Berry already. And I’m a fan of getting the best all throughout the scouting and personnel evaluators. Don’t count against the cap and have a huge impact on the franchise.

4 hours ago, BleedingGreen93 said:

The money is a concern. But teams have improved with limiting lost free agents. Seems like the free agent market isn’t what it once was.  But there is still the trade market. And much of that revolves around money with good(or great) players. We have plenty of the core of the team locked in but next year’s cap is strapped. And the Wentz money just took a huge shift. I still believe much revolves around money with the NFL. Facts of the biz.

But yes I’m sure Douglas will poach is and leave some positions to fill. We’ve known Douglas was probably leaving practically since his hire. Definitely seemed like a strong possibility this offseason. So I’m thinking they already identified possible losses to the staff.