DaveSpadaro

[News] Early Thinking On Some Roster Battles To Watch

8 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

Thanks for this. Good info. I’ve been hearing different stories unfortunately about what will transfer, where and how. Seems like some issues that will occur. I hang with a few...ugh don’t want to give up any sources...but we’ll just call them Apple Geeks. They have pointed out a few quirks and doubtful areas of reading between what has been said...and more importantly not said. I’m invested heavily. But too much to really wrap my head around in speculating. Just have to see how it unfolds. Not sure I want to go through my entire library of movies, songs and shows on my harddrive. Though the transfer it was told to me might depend on very minute specific details of acceptance or denial.

You're welcome Ham! My pleasure. Yes, it's easy for stories to get changed. People get caught up in the heat of the moment, forget the story 'details' and it's easy to get it bungled up some. Plus when a story goes from one to another without having a written source at their fingertips it gets even more fubar. 

6 minutes ago, BleedingGreen93 said:

I know still SUPER EARLY in the process but with JJAW impressing early, Hollins finally looking healthy and Charles Johnson And Marken Michel showing up so far and making a case for a roster spot...Mixed in with the fact it doesn’t seem like AG is in our long term plans do we try and flip AG something we have talked about plenty but our WR corps is looking insanely deep this year not just top heavy 

Hollins isn’t HEALTHY yet. He ran in individual stuff and on the side. Not practicing yet though. And doesn’t sound like he’s up to full speed. Which really is everything. Johnson has speed. Michel got many opportunities during OTAs. Him beating a corner or two that won’t make the team doesn’t really impress me though. I’m going to stick with your initial thought: Super Early. Nothing has happened yet. But we floated the idea of Agholor being traded. No market for him though. Or at least at his inflated price. Because we’d have to get a third round pick for him to be worth it. And that just isn’t going to happen.

12 minutes ago, BleedingGreen93 said:

Lmao seems like you are just trying to find things to make your theory true can do that with anything.....Why would Doug mention RG when he has an all pro RG in Brooks healthy nobody was unseating him....And this year he mentions RG because hey good chance Brooks misses time early in the year....Think your just over thinking it all trying to make this crazy theory true 

Actually I was on the denial side at first. Wasn’t my theory. But he mentioned V in the same article being versatile at LT and RT. That’s behind HOF Peters and Pro Bowl Johnson. And Kelce is a Pro Bowler that he mentioned him playing that spot. C’mon man that’s weak. He mentioned Kelce but Brooks is untouchable to be backed up by Wis? 

Wis was the starting LG for us winning the SB. Why wouldn’t he be in contention for the starting LG spot this offseason? Why did he get benched? Why did he get let go? Why isn’t he considered at least the backup LG? Why did Wis mention he was benched for non-performance based reasons? Does Peters have major clout with the organization? Why did we part from Mathis?  Is Lurie enamored with Peters? Why have we kept Peters three years too long at overpriced wages? 

38 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

Too many pieces adding up to one conclusion here for me to even doubt it anymore. Did I initially not believe it? Yes, unfortunately I was in denial. Just can’t deny it anymore though.

Yes but, GB sparked my memory by posting this:

Thomas mentioned Peters believing Wisniewski's play style led to Peters getting hurt last year. (Apologies for the lack of specifics here but the audio has since been deleted.) So Peters didn't say it,it was some other guys interpretation,so whatever.

So maybe 100% of JP's story wasn't expressed as it actually went down. A case of hear say in the red type.

35 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

Wis was the starting LG for us winning the SB. Why wouldn’t he be in contention for the starting LG spot this offseason? Why did he get benched? Why did he get let go? Why isn’t he considered at least the backup LG? Why did Wis mention he was benched for non-performance based reasons? Does Peters have major clout with the organization? Why did we part from Mathis?  Is Lurie enamored with Peters? Why have we kept Peters three years too long at overpriced wages? 

All great questions. The problem is not enough (if any) answers for the complete truth.

My two cents.   Everyone could be correct here.   That's great.  I'm not into the soap opera stuff.  They passed too much early last year, and the OL was dinged up.  They lacked the success they had from the prior year.   Very easy to see.   The JP Wiz stuff... maybe make a movie about it, who cares now.  

It's 2019 now.  Wiz adds value because he is the better backup C than Isaac for sure.    Brooks is injured, so he provides depth at RG to where despite all the Big V hype at RG ... I think Wiz would start there if Brooks isn't ready.       As for worrying about him playing or getting mentioned at LG ... they just signed a young guy ( their draft pick) for decent money ... you know how they feel about that.   They want perception that all is good with #73 ... just put LG on lock.    But we know if he goes down and Brooks is back in ... that means Wiz will go in that spot.  

It is early ... let them do all their mixing and matching now... but you know when push comes to shove and the games count... Wiz is first guy in if one of the 3 inside guys gets hurt.  

But for yourself ... if you had to rank why you like brining Wiz back .... RG insurance with Brooks injury,  backup C to Kelce ... or competition for #73 at LG .... its obvious at the moment  LG is # 3 on the list.   The 2018 soap opera may or may not be true... lets not "READ BETWEEN THE LINES "  too much though for what it means now.   Unless Wiz would put in work with the 1st team OL at LG, he won't practice next to Peters anyway.   And with healthy #73, he ain't getting 1st team reps at LG.  Not at this point.  

17 hours ago, mjkline1958 said:

Dullass currently sitting on 19 mill cap space, already spending 34 mill more on O than D. Amari got nearly 14 mill last yr. Gonna have to shed/re-work some contracts. Their prob, I just like to watch as the prison team squirms.

MJK,  I actually think Dallas will be fine signing all their guys .... I just want them to go through the whole process of one player gettting paid and then all the resentment etc.     

$19 mil of cap space now... Cooper's 2019 cap hit is all salary.... almost $14 mil.  That will go down with use of a signing bonus once he signs.  If he signs.    

Dak will get a signing bonus proration added to his 2019 cap hit ... shouldn't be too much.    Zeke, if he gets a new deal ... the $3 plus mil salary for 2019 that he has showing will most likely be absorbed into the  cap hit.   Byron Jones .... $6.2 mil... all salary for 2019.   They can bring his cap hit down too.   So they should be fine as far as 2019 goes.

My thing is they want all those guys to take a discount so they can have all this extra cap space ... LOL   I just want negotiations for all of them to go the other way... once the first guy gets paid without a discount, you can see either they all do, or there will be some annoyed players.  If they pay all the guys, it will mean less cap space going forward... they should be fine if done correctly.

But its just fun watching them build up their guys to be all world, and then ask them all to take a "America's Team discount"   LOL

2 hours ago, cunninghamtheman said:

Actually I was on the denial side at first. Wasn’t my theory. But he mentioned V in the same article being versatile at LT and RT. That’s behind HOF Peters and Pro Bowl Johnson. And Kelce is a Pro Bowler that he mentioned him playing that spot. C’mon man that’s weak. He mentioned Kelce but Brooks is untouchable to be backed up by Wis? 

What weak is your whole thing trying to make stuff out of nothing lol 

Lmao he lost his job in 2018 why would or should he be in contention for the job we went to Semaulo and liked what he gave us....Wis was unhappy with it instead of having a guy that was unhappy here we let him go to try and pursue other opportunities....When teams weren’t knocking on his door for a starting job he got a reality check and wasn’t willing to return in a backup role....

Hollins isn’t HEALTHY yet. He ran in individual stuff and on the side. Not practicing yet though. And doesn’t sound like he’s up to full speed. Which really is everything. Johnson has speed. Michel got many opportunities during OTAs. Him beating a corner or two that won’t make the team doesn’t really impress me though. I’m going to stick with your initial thought: Super Early. Nothing has happened yet. But we floated the idea of Agholor being traded. No market for him though. Or at least at his inflated price. Because we’d have to get a third round pick for him to be worth it. And that just isn’t going to happen.

Hollins is doing stuff which shows he is healthy and should be a go for camp....I did say it is early in the process but those guys are impressing with what they are facing that is a move in the right direction for them...They need to continue to impress....As for AG likely didn’t get an offer we liked and not like we have to rush to trade him hell don’t To move him at all but again it an option we can look into.....I mean before the draft is a 3rd really worth losing AG for when you have no clue what we have if he is gone???? Now at the end of camp we really like what JJAW is doing, Hollins is fully healthy ready to go and Johnson,Michel keep impressing then hey maybe that 3rd for AG looks more valuable(or depending on injuries we could get more)....Every wants to rush things when there is no need to we can be patient and let things develop to get the best deals 

Wow you are buying everything that’s being sold you BG. C’mon man. Every year we have OTA MVPs. Not many translate into much. Because it’s a time to give reps and props to roster bubble guys and young players. If it’s a high pick young player... then sure, I’ll bite.  But yes, we would have traded Agholor in a heartbeat for a third round pick. And Hollins didn’t practice. He just ran some individual drills. Just like McLeod and all sorts of other guys that are recovering. That doesn’t equal healthy. He did all that last preseason and wasn’t healthy. Turned out he was a scratch for the season. Running...and running at world class speeds are very far different things. Hollins isn’t healthy until I see him take on a defender, cut and run past somebody. That’s the low bar. Most seasoned vets don’t strain themselves very hard during OTAs. It’s Practice...we are talking about early early practice even(what would Iverson say about OTAs? LOL). So Johnson and Michel flashed a bit versus non NFL roster worthy competition and maybe a vet or two running at half speed. Wow! Not doing much for me. I’ll admit it’s better than sucking early but it isn’t moving the needle on making the 53 man roster or forcing me into any trades.

It does help keep those roster bubble guys on the 90 man roster to get a shot in Training Camp though. So Johnson and Michel earned spots on the TC team. That’s about as far as I go with any of it. Which for them is big.

14 minutes ago, BleedingGreen93 said:

Hollins is doing stuff which shows he is healthy and should be a go for camp....I did say it is early in the process but those guys are impressing with what they are facing that is a move in the right direction for them...They need to continue to impress....As for AG likely didn’t get an offer we liked and not like we have to rush to trade him hell don’t To move him at all but again it an option we can look into.....I mean before the draft is a 3rd really worth losing AG for when you have no clue what we have if he is gone???? Now at the end of camp we really like what JJAW is doing, Hollins is fully healthy ready to go and Johnson,Michel keep impressing then hey maybe that 3rd for AG looks more valuable(or depending on injuries we could get more)....Every wants to rush things when there is no need to we can be patient and let things develop to get the best deals 

We'll see.We are being patient with Hollins.At some point they are gonna want to see why they spent a draft pick on him.if he can't produce,move on.JJaw pretty much will force that issue at some point

SOOOOO how many actual SNAPS has Hollins played(in a real game) since we drafted him? The clock is ticking on his rook contract

SEASON TEAM
PHIPHI
Career  

GP REC TGTS YDS AVG TD LNG FD FUM LST
16 16 22 226 14.1 1 64 8 0 0
16 16 22 226 14.1 1 64 8 0 0

2017- 16 recps(dont know actual snap count) 2018-ZIP with 2 years left on his 4 year contract

56 minutes ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

We'll see.We are being patient with Hollins.At some point they are gonna want to see why they spent a draft pick on him.if he can't produce,move on.JJaw pretty much will force that issue at some point

No need to rush Hollins man is only entering year 3 and he showed great promise his rookie year as the 4th WR and excelled on STs which is extremely valuable when your a 4th and below WR on the depth chart.....Last year was a lost year to a weird injury like so many mysterious injuries we had last year...

1 hour ago, cunninghamtheman said:

Wow you are buying everything that’s being sold you BG. C’mon man. Every year we have OTA MVPs. Not many translate into much. Because it’s a time to give reps and props to roster bubble guys and young players. If it’s a high pick young player... then sure, I’ll bite.  But yes, we would have traded Agholor in a heartbeat for a third round pick. And Hollins didn’t practice. He just ran some individual drills. Just like McLeod and all sorts of other guys that are recovering. That doesn’t equal healthy. He did all that last preseason and wasn’t healthy. Turned out he was a scratch for the season. Running...and running at world class speeds are very far different things. Hollins isn’t healthy until I see him take on a defender, cut and run past somebody. That’s the low bar. Most seasoned vets don’t strain themselves very hard during OTAs. It’s Practice...we are talking about early early practice even(what would Iverson say about OTAs? LOL). So Johnson and Michel flashed a bit versus non NFL roster worthy competition and maybe a vet or two running at half speed. Wow! Not doing much for me. I’ll admit it’s better than sucking early but it isn’t moving the needle on making the 53 man roster or forcing me into any trades.

I don’t buy nothing lol I just don’t jump the gun on things either....Johnson and Michel looked good in OTAs that is facts does that mean they will do well in camp no but they again are trending in the right direction....Hence the waiting approach IF THEY FLASHED IN CAMP!!!!!!! That you keep seeming to miss lol....I don’t jump to theories I just listen to the facts can only go what guys are doing in OTAS because we have only had OTAs lol..... When camp happens then we will be talking about how guys before in camp....As for the fridge nfl talents Michel and Johnson were beating in camp that was Douglas, Maddox ,Jones all 3 could be in line to be our starting CBS this year....

As for Hollins no he wasn’t running around all preseason he was shut down fairly early with the groin and was said to be ready for the regular season before being placed on IR and lost for the year for an injury that likely shouldn’t have shut him down that long....Just another injury to chalk up to the weird handling of medical stuff last season

8 hours ago, 1wrangler said:

Ham, I read a couple articles on our front line through the past months and one of them stated that Peters didn't like playing beside Wiz or Evan Mathis for the same reasons. Both of these guys were taught to block their man at the line of scrimmage and Peters was taught to take three steps back from the line and then set up to block his guy. Of course that is pass blocking. So because you have a LT stepping back before he sets up to block and a LG setting up at the line of scrimmage, you end up with a staggered line. Neither way to pass block is better or worse than the other but the fact that two people were doing it differently and they weren't all on the same page, it  caused the line some grief. Since Peters is the HOF player, he got his way!  Right or Wrong, I blame the whole situation on Stoutland. If the staggered line was an issue, lets see if we can straighten it out. You can teach SOME old dogs new tricks. Its just a matter of how long you want to give them to learn.

Personally I loved me some Mathis and was po'd when we let him go.  Then again I don't give much credence to anything I read anymore unless it's verified. If I remember Mathis was at least a 3 time PB

OL takes a balance of technique, speed AND power. Mathis had all those. Hey - so does most of our OL

2 hours ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

SOOOOO how many actual SNAPS has Hollins played(in a real game) since we drafted him? The clock is ticking on his rook contract

Hollins is big 06’04”... fast... can stretch the field deep and already one of our top ST guys. Love our talent even the competition for 5th or 6th WR spots is fierce. Johnson and Michel are nice depth pieces that are getting noticed bring on the pads.

On 6/18/2019 at 10:35 AM, 1wrangler said:

You still are DWD. Didn't your aunt teach you anything????????????????

I'm to stubborn to learn. Plus the lady's like a bad boy.

On 6/18/2019 at 1:20 PM, cunninghamtheman said:

I didn’t know we were talking about lake beaches in southern Canada. What do you get like six weeks a year where girls actually wear bathing suits? And who wants to sit on a beach and worry about being attacked by a moose?

Girls here wear bathing suits year round. We are crazy we cut holes in the ice and jump in for fun in the winter. We are a heartier breed then you city folks lol. 

We don't worry about moose unless it's midnight and you are on the lake in a canoe and can hear it constantly popping up from under the water around you somewhere snorting but it's pitch black and you can't tell where it's coming from. Lol I was like 15 dam near had to change my pants when I got back to camp. That was by the border of Canada in the Boundary Waters. Beautiful up there no motor boats allowed on most lakes up there and you have to portage from lake to lake. You can literally have a lake to yourself if you want. Not often that you see or hear of bears as far south as I live in Minnesota and definitely no moose. Though I did hear a cougar this morning but I have never seen one in the wild so that tells you how rear they are around hear. But there have been a few sightings this year of one in my area.

Plus you can keep your girls in bikinis around hear you take girls out to a secluded beach and go skinny dipping or chunky dunking in my case.

3 hours ago, BleedingGreen93 said:

No need to rush Hollins man is only entering year 3 and he showed great promise his rookie year as the 4th WR and excelled on STs which is extremely valuable when your a 4th and below WR on the depth chart.....Last year was a lost year to a weird injury like so many mysterious injuries we had last year...

Welp we cant afford for guys to take up roster spots,so I hope he can play sometime this season.Don't need another MS2 in coddle city