DaveSpadaro

[News] Early Thinking On Some Roster Battles To Watch

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, trini said:

Hollins is big 06’04”... fast... can stretch the field deep and already one of our top ST guys. Love our talent even the competition for 5th or 6th WR spots is fierce. Johnson and Michel are nice depth pieces that are getting noticed bring on the pads.

Doesn't matter if you can't suit up and show it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No rush,but wondering whats up with Sproles.Doesn't seem like anyone wants to pick him up yet

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

Welp we cant afford for guys to take up roster spots,so I hope he can play sometime this season.Don't need another MS2 in coddle city

LMAO!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, trini said:

Hollins is big 06’04”... fast... can stretch the field deep and already one of our top ST guys. Love our talent even the competition for 5th or 6th WR spots is fierce. Johnson and Michel are nice depth pieces that are getting noticed bring on the pads.

My thoughts EXACTLY. Bring on the pads/full contact!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Idk about Hollins taking up a roster spot if he is hurt.... why wouldn't he go on PUP or IR.  Dude barely counts 5 cents toward the cap?  Why would you cut him unless he plays poorly. Be kinda dumb to let him go if he wasn't 100% when you could stash him for little cost until he gets healthy? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Morning all! Been busy working on retiring. Still not able to yet, but there is hope! I see allot of discussion regarding back ups. Not sure what others think, but it gives me hope that no one is too concerned with the starting 22. Well except maybe guard if Brooks is not ready. Still, this all leads to a promising season. We may need another for my Eagles FF league. Ham joined last year so you can ask him how he likes it. Non money league, just bragging rights...  Send me a message and let me know.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, stine said:

Morning all! Been busy working on retiring. Still not able to yet, but there is hope! I see allot of discussion regarding back ups. Not sure what others think, but it gives me hope that no one is too concerned with the starting 22. Well except maybe guard if Brooks is not ready. Still, this all leads to a promising season. We may need another for my Eagles FF league. Ham joined last year so you can ask him how he likes it. Non money league, just bragging rights...  Send me a message and let me know.

He Stine, are you going to the GB game?

Someone said you might 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

Welp we cant afford for guys to take up roster spots,so I hope he can play sometime this season.Don't need another MS2 in coddle city

Lmao take up a roster spot wow fans jump the gun way to fast on players....How they forget he had a very promising rookie year as the 4th WR and was one of our ST standouts....That right there alone puts him ahead of Ms2....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

Doesn't matter if you can't suit up and show it

Hollins played all 16 games as a rookie and because of whatever happened last year he is know injury prone????? Damn I don’t get fans lol.....Not to mention the year he missed was last year were numerous questionable things were going on with our medical staff all season

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, stine said:

Morning all! Been busy working on retiring. Still not able to yet, but there is hope! I see allot of discussion regarding back ups. Not sure what others think, but it gives me hope that no one is too concerned with the starting 22. Well except maybe guard if Brooks is not ready. Still, this all leads to a promising season. We may need another for my Eagles FF league. Ham joined last year so you can ask him how he likes it. Non money league, just bragging rights...  Send me a message and let me know.

We have a strong team all around hell even most of our backups could make strong cases on other teams for playing time lol 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, stine said:

 Not sure what others think, but it gives me hope that no one is too concerned with the starting 22. Well except maybe guard if Brooks is not ready. Still, this all leads to a promising season. 

Hi stine, I think its funny that the only person who said the Eagles have more talent on this football team man for man then they did on the Super Bowl team of 2017 was Joe Douglas. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, mjkline1958 said:

  Personally I loved me some Mathis and was po'd when we let him go.  Then again I don't give much credence to anything I read anymore unless it's verified. If I remember Mathis was at least a 3 time PB

You are close. Two PB's,  Yeah, I liked Mathis as well due to his personality and keeping the rest of the guys on the line loose. Some were upset when he left like homers can be however I think the Eagles called it right letting him go. First of all, he only played 7 games his last year due to injuries with the Eagles and was going to be payed 5.5 million the next year. He was 33 which was the oldest Guard in the league at the time when he went to the Broncos for 2.5 million with a chance to make 4 mil with incentives. Doubt that he made the 4 million because he only played 12 games that season. He started at the beginning of the year and was then beaten out for the starting job for 4 games and then went back in for the rest of the year after the guy who beat him out got hurt. He did get a Super Bowl ring though and the fact that he started 12 games that year plus the playoff games was probably worth the cut in pay because he certainly wouldn't have won a Super Bowl with the Eagles before he was finished playing. Sometimes you just have to be happy for a former Eagles player you like whether he still plays for your team or not. I'm glad Mathis got his Super Bowl win.  Wiz got his as well and Peters is still trying. Sure he got one but I'll bet he isn't bragging about it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, stine said:

Morning all! Been busy working on retiring. Still not able to yet, but there is hope! I see allot of discussion regarding back ups. Not sure what others think, but it gives me hope that no one is too concerned with the starting 22. Well except maybe guard if Brooks is not ready. Still, this all leads to a promising season. We may need another for my Eagles FF league. Ham joined last year so you can ask him how he likes it. Non money league, just bragging rights...  Send me a message and let me know.

I have a lot of questions about our starting 22 but they can't be answered right now so I have been pretty silent of late. Can Wentz stay healthy being the biggest of course.

I hope our receivers are as good as they have looked because they are that good and not because our secondary is that bad. The DBs struggled as a whole group last year and couldn't cover much but they had a lot of injuries (not that they were any good before the injuries happened either though). On paper our WRs look like they could be special but we need to see it on the field. How many years have we heard how great they were for them to be just average. 

I have injury questions up and down this team. The last 2 years have been really hard on us injury wise and is that on training/medical staffs or Peterson's coaching style. Can JP actually stay on the field a whole game, Darby, Mills, Jones, Barnett and Brooks just looking at some in particular. 

I have questions at LB as well. Can Brown cover? That has been an area of concern with him over his career. Hicks was decent in coverage and all over the field on defense when he was healthy but that was his biggest problem health. Do we have a 3rd LB I wasn't to fond of Hill or Gerry last year can one of them step up their game this year.

How will Malik Jackson look in our D can he stop the run. He was benched last year for that reason he struggled to stop the run.

Definitely question the G position both Seumalo and Wisniewski struggled last year can one of them step up and show they deserve to be the starter.

Can we run the ball? We got 2 new RBs but how will they fit in our system is yet to be seen.

Can Barnett step up and be the guy on the outside we need him to be is yet to be seen as well. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, BleedingGreen93 said:

Lmao take up a roster spot wow fans jump the gun way to fast on players....How they forget he had a very promising rookie year as the 4th WR and was one of our ST standouts....That right there alone puts him ahead of Ms2....

Not if he's not playing it doesn't

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, joemas6 said:

Idk about Hollins taking up a roster spot if he is hurt.... why wouldn't he go on PUP or IR.  Dude barely counts 5 cents toward the cap?  Why would you cut him unless he plays poorly. Be kinda dumb to let him go if he wasn't 100% when you could stash him for little cost until he gets healthy? 

Yeah still on rook deal,just hope he can hit the field,even if it;s garbage time

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, BleedingGreen93 said:

Hollins played all 16 games as a rookie and because of whatever happened last year he is know injury prone????? Damn I don’t get fans lol.....Not to mention the year he missed was last year were numerous questionable things were going on with our medical staff all season

Never said he was injury prone did I?????? I SAID we need to see him show why we drafted him(and play some snaps someday).1 injury doesn't not make one "prone".We have 2 years left to find out

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, downwithdallas said:

I have a lot of questions about our starting 22 but they can't be answered right now so I have been pretty silent of late. Can Wentz stay healthy being the biggest of course.

I hope our receivers are as good as they have looked because they are that good and not because our secondary is that bad. The DBs struggled as a whole group last year and couldn't cover much but they had a lot of injuries (not that they were any good before the injuries happened either though). On paper our WRs look like they could be special but we need to see it on the field. How many years have we heard how great they were for them to be just average. 

I have injury questions up and down this team. The last 2 years have been really hard on us injury wise and is that on training/medical staffs or Peterson's coaching style. Can JP actually stay on the field a whole game, Darby, Mills, Jones, Barnett and Brooks just looking at some in particular. 

I have questions at LB as well. Can Brown cover? That has been an area of concern with him over his career. Hicks was decent in coverage and all over the field on defense when he was healthy but that was his biggest problem health. Do we have a 3rd LB I wasn't to fond of Hill or Gerry last year can one of them step up their game this year.

How will Malik Jackson look in our D can he stop the run. He was benched last year for that reason he struggled to stop the run.

Definitely question the G position both Seumalo and Wisniewski struggled last year can one of them step up and show they deserve to be the starter.

Can we run the ball? We got 2 new RBs but how will they fit in our system is yet to be seen.

Can Barnett step up and be the guy on the outside we need him to be is yet to be seen as well. 

All good points,great post.From what I have heard,Wentz has no issues.i DO hope he has learned that sometimes you throw the ball away and save your body. I understand he is a competitor and wants to win every game.but he needs to know we need him here next week too.I would also like to add,Wentz should have the best receiving corps he's ever had(and RB's that can catch).Goedert should be more of a threat this year,add in Djax,JJaw,and a hopefully improved AG,and there be few times he(Wentz) will need to put his head down,or at least I hope so

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, stine said:

Morning all! Been busy working on retiring. Still not able to yet, but there is hope! I see allot of discussion regarding back ups. Not sure what others think, but it gives me hope that no one is too concerned with the starting 22. Well except maybe guard if Brooks is not ready. Still, this all leads to a promising season. We may need another for my Eagles FF league. Ham joined last year so you can ask him how he likes it. Non money league, just bragging rights...  Send me a message and let me know.

I may be interested if it's a CBS league cause i will have my private league as well as 3 others I play in and dont want to keep hitting another site as those 4 keep me busy enough.I may have a few spots in my private league(custom scoring much more like the real game-trophy to the winner,but I'm gonna need a trophy case soon HAHAHA)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, 1wrangler said:

Hi stine, I think its funny that the only person who said the Eagles have more talent on this football team man for man then they did on the Super Bowl team of 2017 was Joe Douglas. 

Or Zach Ertz in his interview last week.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

Yeah still on rook deal,just hope he can hit the field,even if it;s garbage time

GBFL... To be honest, I'm not worried about him hitting the field on offense .... he is a good ST player, that will be his biggest contribution in 2019.   Barring injuries .... multiple injuries at WR... that is why I don't concern myself as much about "roster spot" etc.  He will either be healthy, playing ST and maybe some offense ... or he should be on PUP/IR if not.     I would obviousll prefer him to be healthy, so he can play ST for us.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, joemas6 said:

GBFL... To be honest, I'm not worried about him hitting the field on offense .... he is a good ST player, that will be his biggest contribution in 2019.   Barring injuries .... multiple injuries at WR... that is why I don't concern myself as much about "roster spot" etc.  He will either be healthy, playing ST and maybe some offense ... or he should be on PUP/IR if not.     I would obviousll prefer him to be healthy, so he can play ST for us.  

We also have some nice RB's that could play ST's if he can't go.I never said I wanted him gone,but some put words in my mouth lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

JMO,but I don't see us re-signing Sproles unless there are a couple of bad injuries.Love the guy super much,but I believe he should retire.IDK what happens with Pump either

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'll throw in my two cents about Wentz.

  This injury prone idea.    So far ... and lets be anal and list ALL the ones that seem to bother the Foles people... because that is what I will call you guys.   People who couldn't even let me enjoy his timely overachieving and the fact he is a great dude, you had to go overboard on how great he is and ruin the moment.   

Anyhow...

1.  Broken wrist in college (before he came back to lead his team to a national title)
2.  Broken ribs in preseason of 2016 when he was 3rd string QB at the time and no reason to play him
3.  Torn knee ligaments in 2017 which ended his MVP season
4.  Back last year where they decided to shut him down

These are what we are looking at.     So, one thing in common here is that Wentz actually took hits, or there was contact on these injuries.   He wasn't running around and pulled a hammy or turned an ankle or tore a knee ligament.    In 3 years I've seen him take a bunch of hits, some his fault, many because our playcalling/RB pass blocking left the unblocked blitzer coming in to give him a shot as he threw a pass.   

So to me, he's a tough guy.  Young and dumb like almost all QBs coming into the league thinking they can run guys over or not realizing that in the big boy league they are bigger/faster adn hit harder.   So per usual a little run happy, but not too much compared to others.

For me, I'm not really worried about his body, its about avoiding the hits... the unnecessary ones.   That comes with experience, that also comes with help from your coaches and teammates ... maybe some play calling where the defense needs to be ready for a run play?   How about a RB picking up a blitz?  How about a RB that he can actually dump the ball off to?     All things that can help him limit the shots.   But to be honest, I think he has proven that he can take his fair of hits, more than his fair share.  I just prefer to see the number go down and then I think he will be fine.   Just like he was for his first 29 career starts before two guys hit his knee at the exact same time in opposite directions.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, ASG15 said:

He Stine, are you going to the GB game?

Someone said you might 

ASG, I have 4 tickets bought and paid for in section 232 I think I know it is around the 20 yard line and between rows 21-23. We are staying at the Country inn and Suites. Leaving Tuesday night and returning Saturday. If you are going, we should hook up. My wife goes there every year and knows everything about the town, so probably a good person to be around lol

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

We also have some nice RB's that could play ST's if he can't go.I never said I wanted him gone,but some put words in my mouth lol

IDK about people putting words in your mouth ... just seems you missed his ST contribution as his key element and the fact he is dirt cheap... both lead to him being an asset if he is healthy .. regardless of his taking any snaps at WR.    Sure he has to prove it now... but if he can't go, I doubt he gets cut.   He could, just not sure why they would do that instead of PUP or IR while allowing themselves the opportunity to keep someone else while he is on those lists?   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now