DaveSpadaro

[News] Early Thinking On Some Roster Battles To Watch

12 minutes ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

JMO,but I don't see us re-signing Sproles unless there are a couple of bad injuries.Love the guy super much,but I believe he should retire.IDK what happens with Pump either

I think he goes to LA Chargers or the Saints.  

7 minutes ago, joemas6 said:

I'll throw in my two cents about Wentz.

This injury prone idea.    So far ... and lets be anal and list ALL the ones that seem to bother the Foles people... because that is what I will call you guys.   People who couldn't even let me enjoy his timely overachieving and the fact he is a great dude, you had to go overboard on how great he is and ruin the moment.   

Anyhow...

1.  Broken wrist in college (before he came back to lead his team to a national title)
2.  Broken ribs in preseason of 2016 when he was 3rd string QB at the time and no reason to play him
3.  Torn knee ligaments in 2017 which ended his MVP season
4.  Back last year where they decided to shut him down

These are what we are looking at.     So, one thing in common here is that Wentz actually took hits, or there was contact on these injuries.   He wasn't running around and pulled a hammy or turned an ankle or tore a knee ligament.    In 3 years I've seen him take a bunch of hits, some his fault, many because our playcalling/RB pass blocking left the unblocked blitzer coming in to give him a shot as he threw a pass.   

So to me, he's a tough guy.  Young and dumb like almost all QBs coming into the league thinking they can run guys over or not realizing that in the big boy league they are bigger/faster adn hit harder.   So per usual a little run happy, but not too much compared to others.

For me, I'm not really worried about his body, its about avoiding the hits... the unnecessary ones.   That comes with experience, that also comes with help from your coaches and teammates ... maybe some play calling where the defense needs to be ready for a run play?   How about a RB picking up a blitz?  How about a RB that he can actually dump the ball off to?     All things that can help him limit the shots.   But to be honest, I think he has proven that he can take his fair of hits, more than his fair share.  I just prefer to see the number go down and then I think he will be fine.   Just like he was for his first 29 career starts before two guys hit his knee at the exact same time in opposite directions.  

So you are saying he is not injury prone unless he gets hit. You're a genius maybe we can petition the league to see if players can 2 hand touch him this year and if they forcefully touch him it's an automatic TD. Wentz IS going to take HITS, a lot of hits every year. Especially with Seumalo and Wisniewski probably starting the year at guard and no real depth behind them. If Peters can't stay games we are counting on a rookie we HOPE will be a good player in the future but hasn't played a snap in the NFL yet. And behind him is a 2nd year ever playing the game. Former rugby player that looked good and fast against primarily players that didn't make NFL rosters last year. They put Big V out there instead of him and V was a turnstile. We have hope for both these guys but we haven't seen it done in game time.

22 minutes ago, stine said:

ASG, I have 4 tickets bought and paid for in section 232 I think I know it is around the 20 yard line and between rows 21-23. We are staying at the Country inn and Suites. Leaving Tuesday night and returning Saturday. If you are going, we should hook up. My wife goes there every year and knows everything about the town, so probably a good person to be around lol

My son has a friend who's family has 4 season tickets They're giving us 2 tix for that game.  Not sure if we're driving up Wednesday afternoon or early Thursday. It's about a 10 hr drive.

As the time gets closer  we can make plans to get together for an adult beverage

We're staying at the Mantiwoc Wyndham about 40 miles south of GB

1 minute ago, ASG15 said:

My son has a friend who's family has 4 season tickets They're giving us 2 tix for that game.  Not sure if we're driving up Wednesday afternoon or early Thursday. It's about a 10 hr drive.

As the time gets closer  we can make plans to get together for an adult beverage

We're staying at the Mantiwoc Wyndham about 40 miles south of GB

For sure!  Email- oldcoach813 at yahoo dot com. Send me an email and we can figure it out. There is a place right near the stadium who has awesome Burgers. My wife says best ever. I say really good lol

2 minutes ago, stine said:

For sure!  Email- oldcoach813 at yahoo dot com. Send me an email and we can figure it out. There is a place right near the stadium who has awesome Burgers. My wife says best ever. I say really good lol

Sounds good

My e-mail is rsnyder_73 at Yahoo

Looking forward to it

Obviously the kids friend is a big GB fan so the Birds better win because I don't want to listen to a lot of crap for a 10 hour drive home

1 hour ago, joemas6 said:

I'll throw in my two cents about Wentz.

This injury prone idea.    So far ... and lets be anal and list ALL the ones that seem to bother the Foles people... because that is what I will call you guys.   People who couldn't even let me enjoy his timely overachieving and the fact he is a great dude, you had to go overboard on how great he is and ruin the moment.   

Anyhow...

1.  Broken wrist in college (before he came back to lead his team to a national title)
2.  Broken ribs in preseason of 2016 when he was 3rd string QB at the time and no reason to play him
3.  Torn knee ligaments in 2017 which ended his MVP season
4.  Back last year where they decided to shut him down

These are what we are looking at.     So, one thing in common here is that Wentz actually took hits, or there was contact on these injuries.   He wasn't running around and pulled a hammy or turned an ankle or tore a knee ligament.    In 3 years I've seen him take a bunch of hits, some his fault, many because our playcalling/RB pass blocking left the unblocked blitzer coming in to give him a shot as he threw a pass.   

So to me, he's a tough guy.  Young and dumb like almost all QBs coming into the league thinking they can run guys over or not realizing that in the big boy league they are bigger/faster adn hit harder.   So per usual a little run happy, but not too much compared to others.

For me, I'm not really worried about his body, its about avoiding the hits... the unnecessary ones.   That comes with experience, that also comes with help from your coaches and teammates ... maybe some play calling where the defense needs to be ready for a run play?   How about a RB picking up a blitz?  How about a RB that he can actually dump the ball off to?     All things that can help him limit the shots.   But to be honest, I think he has proven that he can take his fair of hits, more than his fair share.  I just prefer to see the number go down and then I think he will be fine.   Just like he was for his first 29 career starts before two guys hit his knee at the exact same time in opposite directions.  

Joe,this is why I pushed so hard for Howard early on.He's a decent blocker and he can put defenders on their backsides.If he is 50% of what I saw him do in Chicago,we will be just fine

1 hour ago, joemas6 said:

IDK about people putting words in your mouth ... just seems you missed his ST contribution as his key element and the fact he is dirt cheap... both lead to him being an asset if he is healthy .. regardless of his taking any snaps at WR.    Sure he has to prove it now... but if he can't go, I doubt he gets cut.   He could, just not sure why they would do that instead of PUP or IR while allowing themselves the opportunity to keep someone else while he is on those lists?   

once again I never said to cut him did I?????

31 minutes ago, stine said:

HF you guys.I am jealous

Jordan Howard allowed 2 pressures on 92 pass blocking snaps this season, giving him the highest Pass Blocking Efficiency of any running back with at least 30 pass blocking snaps.

32 minutes ago, ASG15 said:

Sounds good

My e-mail is rsnyder_73 at Yahoo

Looking forward to it

Obviously the kids friend is a big GB fan so the Birds better win because I don't want to listen to a lot of crap for a 10 hour drive home

I sent you an email. As I said, we know where to go and can help you out. Maybe get together before the game? Go to Kroll's and have a beer and burger?

43 minutes ago, downwithdallas said:

So you are saying he is not injury prone unless he gets hit. You're a genius maybe we can petition the league to see if players can 2 hand touch him this year and if they forcefully touch him it's an automatic TD. Wentz IS going to take HITS, a lot of hits every year. Especially with Seumalo and Wisniewski probably starting the year at guard and no real depth behind them. If Peters can't stay games we are counting on a rookie we HOPE will be a good player in the future but hasn't played a snap in the NFL yet. And behind him is a 2nd year ever playing the game. Former rugby player that looked good and fast against primarily players that didn't make NFL rosters last year. They put Big V out there instead of him and V was a turnstile. We have hope for both these guys but we haven't seen it done in game time.

Well ... #5 will always love you ... he got hurt running out of bounds.   Sam Bradford .... " my boy's boy"   no contact with the knee.   Our former Lb Kendricks ... soft tissue non contact injuries all the time.    To me ... those guys are injury prone.    They step out on the field and can get hurt without needing to take a hit.     Wentz takes a lot of hits and he seems to be able to take them IMO.   Not sure the freak injury where two guys hit him in the knee in opposite direction is a concern.  In general though, experience should help him figure it out to take a little less... a run game would help... somthing about throing it 50 times week 3 in his first game back less than 10 months removed from the injury ... doesn't seem so smart?    IDK.  Things should improve IMO.  Really last year was a disaster in so many ways ... starting with no practice and recovering from an injury on top of everything else going on with the OL , RB and play calling.   

Your list of concerns is impressive ..... i'll switch gears ... which team right now would you bet on to do better than the Eagles in 2019?   

20 minutes ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

once again I never said to cut him did I?????

No... but to use a roster spot ... and not play ... I don't see that.   That you did say.   The cut part is what has to happen for him not to be on the 53 if we don't put him on PUP or IR.  

3 minutes ago, joemas6 said:

Well ... #5 will always love you ... he got hurt running out of bounds.   Sam Bradford .... " my boy's boy"   no contact with the knee.   Our former Lb Kendricks ... soft tissue non contact injuries all the time.    To me ... those guys are injury prone.    They step out on the field and can get hurt without needing to take a hit.     Wentz takes a lot of hits and he seems to be able to take them IMO.   Not sure the freak injury where two guys hit him in the knee in opposite direction is a concern.  In general though, experience should help him figure it out to take a little less... a run game would help... somthing about throing it 50 times week 3 in his first game back less than 10 months removed from the injury ... doesn't seem so smart?    IDK.  Things should improve IMO.  Really last year was a disaster in so many ways ... starting with no practice and recovering from an injury on top of everything else going on with the OL , RB and play calling.   

Your list of concerns is impressive ..... i'll switch gears ... which team right now would you bet on to do better than the Eagles in 2019?   

Chargers, Chiefs, Rams, Saints, Patriots 

1 minute ago, downwithdallas said:

Chargers, Chiefs, Rams, Saints, Patriots 

Nice .... ONLY 5.     3 in the other conference.    The 2 NFC teams play Dallas this year instead of us.    3 OLD QBs  ....  and  one lost his 2 best weapons from last year and has that coach who can't win the big one (which would be the only time we see them)  The last team we seem to have their number.  

This is a good place to be .... and I would als think that for those teams, QB injury would be biggest issue.  If any one of those guys get hurt, those teams will struggle.  

New England will be interesting this year.   Losing Gronk, puts pressure on Edlemen to not miss time.  He is a little older now and a work horse.   Big loss in the run blocking scheme too.  

Chargers always seem to mess up at the end somewhere.

Rams, I think their defense struggles this year.  

The Saints IMO are due to avoid some bad luck.   I love the way Peyton calls plays and Drew Brees has been a favorite of mine for a while now.  I would love to see an NFC title game with us vs the Saints with a healthy Eagles team playing this time.  

So 6th going into the season with a laundry lists of concerns ... that's pretty exciting, can't wait to start the season.    

My list of concerns.

1.  Not losing 4 or 5 guys at one position to injury.

2.  Doug sticking with the run 

3.  Schwartz mixing in an occasional blitz here and there.

I think if those 3 things happen, I like our chances.   

30 minutes ago, joemas6 said:

No... but to use a roster spot ... and not play ... I don't see that.   That you did say.   The cut part is what has to happen for him not to be on the 53 if we don't put him on PUP or IR.  

IDK IMO we can put him on PUP,but if we felt he had a serious future(sans as a ST'er) why would be draft JJaw? As far as a WR,maybe they don't feel confident he can make it back.Like I said we still have 2 years to figure it out

50 minutes ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

Jordan Howard allowed 2 pressures on 92 pass blocking snaps this season, giving him the highest Pass Blocking Efficiency of any running back with at least 30 pass blocking snaps.

Bang you butt off and protect the franchise.This was a terrific acquisition in my view(barring that I called for him first) I was also interested in Duke,but in my view Howard is the guy we needed more

45 minutes ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

IDK IMO we can put him on PUP,but if we felt he had a serious future(sans as a ST'er) why would be draft JJaw? As far as a WR,maybe they don't feel confident he can make it back.Like I said we still have 2 years to figure it out

I think JJAW is different type of WR.  More to replace Alshon.    2 years from now what do you got?   Alshon, DeSean and Agholor?   No guarantees either will be here ... so long term, Hollins value would be awesome if he could be a legit NFL #2.    IDK that yet, still a lot to prove there.  But I don't think for a second he was ever thought to be a legit #1 WR.      But for now ... he has ST value, that's where it lies for us looking to win a SB this year.  Use that for 2 years and see if he develops into a potential #2.   Either way though, my guess is they invest in another WR in the next 2 years.    

1 hour ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

Bang you butt off and protect the franchise.This was a terrific acquisition in my view(barring that I called for him first) I was also interested in Duke,but in my view Howard is the guy we needed more

Hard to argue.... vet RB who can do early down work and good in pass protection is a great start to a RB by committee.   Throw in you got him cheap on hte last year of his rookie deal where he needs to ball in order to get his next contract.   Possible comp pick ...etc.    For a late round draft pick the next year.... good stuff.

I like those trades where you get a year's worth of the player before you have to give anything up.  what is it... 6th round maybe a 5th round if he does well... which should mean we get a nice 2021 comp pick back if he leaves?  Nice!

3 hours ago, joemas6 said:

Or Zach Ertz in his interview last week.

I missed that. Nice to know that someone who is actually going to play the games this year thinks so as well.

Okay everyone, Lets have a contest. Musical chairs with our secondary. Who starts at safety and CB this year and who is first off the bench at safety and CB? Winner gets a tastycake.

10 minutes ago, 1wrangler said:

Okay everyone, Lets have a contest. Musical chairs with our secondary. Who starts at safety and CB this year and who is first off the bench at safety and CB? Winner gets a tastycake.

Rasul and Jones with Maddox in the slot. Jenkins and McLeod. Sendejo as third S. Darby comes off the bench first at CB.

18 minutes ago, 1wrangler said:

LOL Yeah, like you're gonna remember. Joking aside IDK, a little early for me to tell w/o contact-training camp. But If I had to make a decision now it'd be (and I'd feel pretty confident): Douglas- RCB, Maddox- LCB, LeBlanc- Slot, Jenkins & McLeod (assuming his time table works out), and Sendejo as 3rd S