DaveSpadaro

[News] Early Thinking On Some Roster Battles To Watch

6 hours ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

well THIS is year 4 right?

Yes I was counting his senior season in college as well.

17 hours ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

HF you guys.I am jealous

GBFL, I am not going to Philly this year, but there are a few from the old EMB that are considering the Bears game on Nov 3rd. If anyone else is considering this game, I could put you in touch with them. One guy is flying from the UK...

51 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

Who gets voted first team Pro Bowler for the first time this season on our team?

Who knows Ham, probably someone off the radar right now. It would probably be best for the Eagles if it was Barnett because that would mean the defensive line is getting the job done and success or failure for the Eagles D is predicated on the D-line getting the job done.

10 hours ago, EaglesTD123 said:

Comments?

TD, I have nothing against Hill or Gerry but why bring in Brown if you are satisfied that either one of these guys will be your starter? I know I can be old school football at times because I am old school myself. LOL  I like the size and weight of Brown 6ft 1in 242 and Bradham 6ft 2in 240 as long as one of them can run and defend the pass against the TE or RB. I like the weight for holding up for an entire season. Our defensive line is designed to get up the field and channel the opposing teams running game to the inside where the linebackers make the play so they don't get as much help from the defensive line in making tackles due to their rush to get the QB.  Nate Gerry gained weight to play the linebacker position but I think that he is still only 209 pounds which is too lite. Malcolm Jenkins is 6ft and 204. Gerry was a safety at Nebraska. Why not switch him back to his best position. Jenkins isn't getting any younger and Gerry is only 24. I really feel that Gerry, Mills and Douglas could be our safeties going forward. Schwartz would not be in favor of Douglas playing that position from what he has said so that is that but both Mills and Gerry were safties in college. I think Hill should be kept as a passing down linebacker due to his speed. 

29 minutes ago, 1wrangler said:

Who knows Ham, probably someone off the radar right now. It would probably be best for the Eagles if it was Barnett because that would mean the defensive line is getting the job done and success or failure for the Eagles D is predicated on the D-line getting the job done.

Well that could be Barnett or Graham. It would be huge for Barnett looking towards the future also.

Just now, cunninghamtheman said:

Well that could be Barnett or Graham. It would be huge for Barnett looking towards the future also.

Wasn't Graham already in the pro bowl?

22 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

Gerry is around 230 now...same with Kamu

I think we already know that Hill and Gerry can run or they wouldn't be playing special teams. Neither one of these guys is breaking the bank Gerry 2019 624,000 2020 735,000 and Hill is getting 720,000 this last year of his contract. I have said before that the linebacker position is in an evolution from what is was in the past to what it will eventually become with the passing game increasing more and more every year. I  think the team actually needs both types of linebackers at the moment but the problem is satisfying players desires to get enough plays per game to stay in a rhythm. Plus everyone knows that the large contracts are given to those linebackers who play a majority of snaps not to the guys who fill in. It should be interesting.  

4 hours ago, cunninghamtheman said:

Who gets voted first team Pro Bowler for the first time this season on our team?

OK I'll stick my neck out and say Wentz.With all the weapons he has now,it will be hard NOT for him to rack up some nice numbers.Great receiving corps,maybe the top TE in the league,Goedert making his presence felt.RB's that can catch out of the backfield and score TD's on pass plays at the GL.If this team fails,it should be because of the D.The O should be able to score on anyone.If this secondary meshes,watch out!!!!BTW Wentz WAS a pro bowler,but did not play,so I suppose 'technically" I am wrong.but to me even if you are voted in but don't play,it doesn't count for me lol

I suppose other options for me are JJAW if we play him enough,but I assume that won't happen unless someone else really falters or gets hurt early.Gonna be tough for ANY of our WR's to post pro bowl worthy stats,since Wentz has so many targets now.Barnett-would LOVE that as others have already stated their reasons.Another long shot could be Goedert.He's getting better all the time.Would be fun to have BOTH Eagles TE's be there,but unlikey.I can still dream                                                                        

19 hours ago, 1wrangler said:

I missed that. Nice to know that someone who is actually going to play the games this year thinks so as well.

Yeah, somehow I don't think Ertz is alone in that thinking.   Although you know from his perspective.... he loves Wentz as a QB, loves DeSean as the space creator ...and JJAW is a Stanford guy, so its like everything he wants in an offense.   Still with Agholor and Alshon, and upgrades to the RB spot.   Easy to see his point of view.   And his point was just on talent, they still have a long way to go to put in the work.

18 hours ago, 1wrangler said:

Maybe a better question would be, Which two of our corner backs and which one safety will be playing for the Jets this year?

?????   Why would this be a question?   We have Mills and Darby comng off of injuries ... a season after we needed like 12 CBs?  We have Maddox that can play S too ... so I would assume that we keep all the CBs?   Why would the Jets even enter the conversation?   But I will have to check the depth chart to find 2 CBs below Mills, Darby, Jones, Douglas, Maddox and Le Blanc, I'm not up on that part of the roster to even begin to guess.  

But I would think a trade possibility with one of our CBs is a possibility.   Jones seems to be the one everyone mentions as far as the beat writers.  Do the Jets need CBs, is that why you are mentioning them?

16 hours ago, EaglesTD123 said:

And/or part of the decision may have been fans taking the free ticks and not showing up.

Yes... and then also selling them to make a profit.   Not all is what it seems.   We get 20k fans to a practice X $10 ... that's $200k ... not sure Lurie can't just double that from his own contribution and not feel better about himself.   He can use that money for toilet paper if he wants, I wouldn't worry too much about the "greed" factor there.  

Personally, I don't go to practice.... listening to Barrett Brooks talk on his CSN show, he pretty much explained why its a pain in the arse to move everything from the Novacare to the Linc and where its not a real practice.   Nice for show, but not the one the coaches like.  I'm looking to win the SB this year ... just get to work.  The soap opera stuff around the game is annoying.  Stay focused people, we got a trophy to bring back!   

16 hours ago, downwithdallas said:

This can be said about us as well. 

I would take all 5 teams QB for the season because I have concern over health. 1 game I would take Wentz over 4 of them though.

Speculation anybody could say this about us and actually be more justified with the loss of Bennett and Long

1.  2017 we seemed to finish the deal.... not sure losing to the Saints at NO is considered that we found a way to mess it up .... although you could say that about Foles as he really threw a brutal ball at the wrong time to turn the game around.

2.  I feel the opposite about Wentz ... over the long haul I would take him ... he is consistent in his play .... one game, to me he still needs to prove it, especially winning a game with a TD drive at the end.   This is the only thing I feel Foles has over Wentz... Foles could light it up like he did for 3 out of the 12 games he played the last 2 years, overall Wentz was way more consistent though, just didn't have the high peaks of games that Foles did, nor game winning TD drive.

3.  IDK, the Rams lost Suh, wo changed things in the middle when combined with Donald.   The Eagles had Cox and that's about it last year in the middle... while you can focus on and absolutely believe 100% about Jackson being weak vs the run adn that's why he was benched instead of them just looking to get the young guy playing time when they knew they were gong to salary dump Jackson... then that's fine.  But I believe Jackson and Jernigan to be huge upgrades at that spot... a spot that everything else builds from.  I'll take Jernigan, Jackson and Curry over Bennett, Long and Ngata.   

12 minutes ago, joemas6 said:

I feel the opposite about Wentz ... over the long haul I would take him ... he is consistent in his play .... one game, to me he still needs to prove it, especially winning a game with a TD drive at the end.   This is the only thing I feel Foles has over Wentz... Foles could light it up like he did for 3 out of the 12 games he played the last 2 years, overall Wentz was way more consistent though, just didn't have the high peaks of games that Foles did, nor game winning TD drive

So you are telling you can honestly say you can count on him for 16+ games a season. I can show you 4 seasons 4 serious injuries. 1 game I don't only count on Wentz I count on our whole offense and I believe Wentz has a better supporting cast then all 5 of those other teams. If you give them all the same weapons that's a different story but currently injuries aside I think we could have the best offensive in the league if and that's a huge if everyone stays healthy. 

As for your other 2 comments 1 the goal is the superbowl if you don't win it you fall short. 3 failed trips to the NFC championship game, a fail in the superbowl with McNabb puking in the huddle, multiple 1 and done in the playoffs with superior teams then our opponents, last year Alshon's drop.

3. Malik Jackson was able to be a cap dump because of how good his replacement played down the stretch. The coach came out and said straight out he wasn't playing the run good enough and with his lowest year in sacks since 2014 as well he wasn't pass rushing as well either.

35 minutes ago, downwithdallas said:

So you are telling you can honestly say you can count on him for 16+ games a season. I can show you 4 seasons 4 serious injuries. 1 game I don't only count on Wentz I count on our whole offense and I believe Wentz has a better supporting cast then all 5 of those other teams. If you give them all the same weapons that's a different story but currently injuries aside I think we could have the best offensive in the league if and that's a huge if everyone stays healthy. 

As for your other 2 comments 1 the goal is the superbowl if you don't win it you fall short. 3 failed trips to the NFC championship game, a fail in the superbowl with McNabb puking in the huddle, multiple 1 and done in the playoffs with superior teams then our opponents, last year Alshon's drop.

3. Malik Jackson was able to be a cap dump because of how good his replacement played down the stretch. The coach came out and said straight out he wasn't playing the run good enough and with his lowest year in sacks since 2014 as well he wasn't pass rushing as well either.

1.  4 serious injuries?    A broken wrist is serious .... broken ribs that was in preseason was serious?     The back, while in your personal life experience, I can understand your point of view... to me, they shut him down once they lost to Dallas, a win or a tie there and he keeps playing IMO.    But as for one game.... IDK, my only thing with Wentz is his lack of one big drive to finish an NFL game.    One game he needs to prove it yet, of course he didn't really fail yet either.

2.  Comparing this current Eagles team the the Chargers... McNabb isn't relevent... but Rivers is still there for them, continue to finish with a dud.

3.  Again... keep harping on one particular thing with Jackson and miss the overall point.    Would you prefer Ngata, Long and Bennett  ... or Jackson, Jernigan, Curry and Barnett ... I think our DL is in a much better situation, and that's also including one more year experience for all the deeper young guys.   

2 hours ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

I suppose other options for me are JJAW if we play him enough,but I assume that won't happen unless someone else really falters or gets hurt early.Gonna be tough for ANY of our WR's to post pro bowl worthy stats,since Wentz has so many targets now.Barnett-would LOVE that as others have already stated their reasons.Another long shot could be Goedert.He's getting better all the time.Would be fun to have BOTH Eagles TE's be there,but unlikey.I can still dream                                                                        

BTW lots of players get in simply on name recognition(fan votes) or "they were there last time" so we need to put them back in even if they don't have the stats to back it up

1 hour ago, downwithdallas said:

So you are telling you can honestly say you can count on him for 16+ games a season.

Can you honestly say you can count on ANY QB to play 16 games a season?

You hope they do but lets face it most don't.

2 hours ago, joemas6 said:

Do the Jets need CBs, is that why you are mentioning them?

The Jets need CB's and back up offensive linemen Joe. The Jets pick third from the wavier wire so I am assuming they will have a pretty good opportunity to bring in a number of the Eagles cast offs if Douglas wants them. Sure , maybe a trade as well.

1 hour ago, joemas6 said:

1.  4 serious injuries?    A broken wrist is serious .... broken ribs that was in preseason was serious?     The back, while in your personal life experience, I can understand your point of view... to me, they shut him down once they lost to Dallas, a win or a tie there and he keeps playing IMO.    But as for one game.... IDK, my only thing with Wentz is his lack of one big drive to finish an NFL game.    One game he needs to prove it yet, of course he didn't really fail yet either.

2.  Comparing this current Eagles team the the Chargers... McNabb isn't relevent... but Rivers is still there for them, continue to finish with a dud.

3.  Again... keep harping on one particular thing with Jackson and miss the overall point.    Would you prefer Ngata, Long and Bennett  ... or Jackson, Jernigan, Curry and Barnett ... I think our DL is in a much better situation, and that's also including one more year experience for all the deeper young guys.   

1. I would consider a broken bone a major injury. If you have to miss multiple games and possibly surgery its definitely a serious injury. I will admit Carson's record in games lost by less then a TD is pretty bad 6-13 for his career.  But I'm going for a whole game. If it was 1 drive I wouldn't pick home over probably any of those QBs either.

2. I guess 6-13 is choking in close games. Playoff games aren't normally blowouts. I take old man Rivers over Wentz right now.

3. We are debating players on the team vrs not I take Bennett, Long and Ngata over Currey and Jackson. Both Barnett and Jernigans were on the roster last year.

1 hour ago, ASG15 said:

So you are telling you can honestly say you can count on him for 16+ games a season.

Can you honestly say you can count on ANY QB to play 16 games a season?

You hope they do but lets face it most don't.

I can honestly say I don't have confidence in him playing 16 games this year. I hope he can prove me wrong but until he can prove he can not get injured through the course of a season again and again, I won't either. He reminds me of Michael Vick at this point in his career. 

I can also say I could rely on all those QBs more then Wentz at this point. They have all proven their durability, which Wentz hasn't. 

Most QBs do play all 16 games actually. 

1 hour ago, 1wrangler said:

The Jets need CB's and back up offensive linemen Joe. The Jets pick third from the wavier wire so I am assuming they will have a pretty good opportunity to bring in a number of the Eagles cast offs if Douglas wants them. Sure , maybe a trade as well.

Ohh... I missed the Joe Douglas thing, my bad.  Again though... with Maddox being able to fill in at safety if needed... I assume all 6 CBs will be on our roster or PUP at the start of the season?  Beyond Darby, Mills, Douglass, Jones, Maddox and Le Blanc... I couldn't tell you who is on the roster?   But makes sense for Jets to be interested in CBs #7 and below if Douglas was part of selecting them.  I just wouldn't know their names to predict who they will be? 

1 hour ago, downwithdallas said:

1. I would consider a broken bone a major injury. If you have to miss multiple games and possibly surgery its definitely a serious injury. I will admit Carson's record in games lost by less then a TD is pretty bad 6-13 for his career.  But I'm going for a whole game. If it was 1 drive I wouldn't pick home over probably any of those QBs either.

2. I guess 6-13 is choking in close games. Playoff games aren't normally blowouts. I take old man Rivers over Wentz right now.

3. We are debating players on the team vrs not I take Bennett, Long and Ngata over Currey and Jackson. Both Barnett and Jernigans were on the roster last year.

I can honestly say I don't have confidence in him playing 16 games this year. I hope he can prove me wrong but until he can prove he can not get injured through the course of a season again and again, I won't either. He reminds me of Michael Vick at this point in his career. 

I can also say I could rely on all those QBs more then Wentz at this point. They have all proven their durability, which Wentz hasn't. 

Most QBs do play all 16 games actually. 

Actually in 2081 about 1/2 of the starting QBs played all 16 games

Source: Pro Football reference