DaveSpadaro

[News] Early Thinking On Some Roster Battles To Watch

1 hour ago, downwithdallas said:

1. I would consider a broken bone a major injury. If you have to miss multiple games and possibly surgery its definitely a serious injury. I will admit Carson's record in games lost by less then a TD is pretty bad 6-13 for his career.  But I'm going for a whole game. If it was 1 drive I wouldn't pick home over probably any of those QBs either.

2. I guess 6-13 is choking in close games. Playoff games aren't normally blowouts. I take old man Rivers over Wentz right now.

3. We are debating players on the team vrs not I take Bennett, Long and Ngata over Currey and Jackson. Both Barnett and Jernigans were on the roster last year.

I can honestly say I don't have confidence in him playing 16 games this year. I hope he can prove me wrong but until he can prove he can not get injured through the course of a season again and again, I won't either. He reminds me of Michael Vick at this point in his career. 

I can also say I could rely on all those QBs more then Wentz at this point. They have all proven their durability, which Wentz hasn't. 

Most QBs do play all 16 games actually. 

I don't know about "choking" per se when it comes to Wentz in one game, just saying it's the thing I haven't seen yet, that one incredible game in the clutch moment.  His good quality IMO is his consistency.   Let's say compared to a Foles who shows major ups and then looks brutal ( and has not played 16 games yet compared to what Wentz did in his first year)

You can be concerned about his health, and keep worrying.  Idk to me dude played 3 years and the knee injury prevented him from playing every game IMO.  It's just how I look at a guy who started his young 3 year career playing the first 29 games without an issue.  

My concern is there as it is every year that our starting QB stays healthy.  More so now because I think we have legit shot at winning it all and no Foles to come in a play a great game or two at the end in the clutch. 

It will be there every year regardless if he plays 16 games or more the year before.  I don't think he is any more susceptible to getting hurt though than anyone else.  Again, mostly because I don't care about college and that I view the one knee injury due to freak hit as the only thing keeping him out of NFL play.  We can disagree, it's ok.

8 minutes ago, ASG15 said:

Actually in 2081 about 1/2 of the starting QBs played all 16 games

Source: Pro Football reference

But out of those how many didnt start because of injury the previous year(aka same injury)? So those stats may be skewed

16 hours ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

There are no new ones.I want to see this break 5000 before the server takes it's final dive into oblivion.Then I guess we wont see each other ever again 😞

I don't get the issue with this... go look on the message boards.. there are threads that are 4 times longer than this one?  Why do we need to switch anything? I think it's easier now to just go right to this page every time?   Then we know which group is paying attention.   

5 hours ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

OK I'll stick my neck out and say Wentz.With all the weapons he has now,it will be hard NOT for him to rack up some nice numbers.Great receiving corps,maybe the top TE in the league,Goedert making his presence felt.RB's that can catch out of the backfield and score TD's on pass plays at the GL.If this team fails,it should be because of the D.The O should be able to score on anyone.If this secondary meshes,watch out!!!!BTW Wentz WAS a pro bowler,but did not play,so I suppose 'technically" I am wrong.but to me even if you are voted in but don't play,it doesn't count for me lol

Wentz was selected to the Pro Bowl in 2017. You’re disqualified.

8 hours ago, 1wrangler said:

TD, I have nothing against Hill or Gerry but why bring in Brown if you are satisfied that either one of these guys will be your starter? I know I can be old school football at times because I am old school myself. LOL  I like the size and weight of Brown 6ft 1in 242 and Bradham 6ft 2in 240 as long as one of them can run and defend the pass against the TE or RB. I like the weight for holding up for an entire season. Our defensive line is designed to get up the field and channel the opposing teams running game to the inside where the linebackers make the play so they don't get as much help from the defensive line in making tackles due to their rush to get the QB.  Nate Gerry gained weight to play the linebacker position but I think that he is still only 209 pounds which is too lite. Malcolm Jenkins is 6ft and 204. Gerry was a safety at Nebraska. Why not switch him back to his best position. Jenkins isn't getting any younger and Gerry is only 24. I really feel that Gerry, Mills and Douglas could be our safeties going forward. Schwartz would not be in favor of Douglas playing that position from what he has said so that is that but both Mills and Gerry were safties in college. I think Hill should be kept as a passing down linebacker due to his speed. 

Nice comments Wrang! Agreed. I'd like to see Gerry at S myself. Mills, meh. Not so much. I think he's better at CB in RZ  or creeping near RZ. I like Douglas at CB. I feel Brown was brought here 'cause 1) The coaches aren't satisfied with what they have in all situations and 2) Because it'll help push the other younger LB's.

10 hours ago, cunninghamtheman said:

Who gets voted first team Pro Bowler for the first time this season on our team?

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say Goedert or Maddox. Both would be great. Would also like to see Barnett play up to that.

51 minutes ago, joemas6 said:

I don't get the issue with this... go look on the message boards.. there are threads that are 4 times longer than this one?  Why do we need to switch anything? I think it's easier now to just go right to this page every time?   Then we know which group is paying attention.   

I used to read the article and that was my first comment, in response to DS thoughts. Then I would read everybody else’s comments and respond. Did that for years.

Not many pool tables up here as the old townspeople believe they're for gambling. Maybe the IT peeps think we bet too many tastycakes on the HR game for the 1st comment on a new post.

Curious to see what Jones does in camp and PS. Not a Schwartz guy, he has to show this yr.

1 hour ago, cunninghamtheman said:

But he didnt play as I stated

22 minutes ago, mjkline1958 said:

Not many pool tables up here as the old townspeople believe they're for gambling. Maybe the IT peeps think we bet too many tastycakes on the HR game for the 1st comment on a new post.

Curious to see what Jones does in camp and PS. Not a Schwartz guy, he has to show this yr.

Weird,noone here gambles at pool tables.Maybe a friendly beer bet once in awhile.No wonder you're bored,too many rules

Obviously you didn't read my post

3 hours ago, ASG15 said:

Actually in 2081 about 1/2 of the starting QBs played all 16 games

Source: Pro Football reference

Some of them were rookies replacing vets and then Tampa though Winston was better then Fitzpatrick big mistake there. So not everyone was injured but last year there were more QB injuries than normal. On average though most of your starters finish the year.

Just read Spuds' latest article on the phenomenal JP and loved this part. Esp. the bold print.

How does Peters do it? How does he keep his performance level so high 16 freakin’ years into his career? The NFL swallows up bodies, devours souls. 

I hope Dillard turns out to be as good (or close) as Peters. I do treasure the time watching the bodyguard play. We as Eagles fans are truly fortunate for the product, players, coaches and entire organization that is before us right now. I'm truly grateful and strive to make sure I don't take it for granted.

I’m going back to Punter. I know it isn’t sexy but our punter is a beast. Cameron Johnston is ,at least arguably ,the best at his craft in the world. He makes the Pro Bowl this year.

NE gave Kenjon Barner a ring for the 5 games he played with them. Had high hopes for him when he was with us but had a tough time behind Murray, Mathews and Sproles. Good returner then IR'd out.

36 minutes ago, mjkline1958 said:

NE gave Kenjon Barner a ring for the 5 games he played with them. Had high hopes for him when he was with us but had a tough time behind Murray, Mathews and Sproles. Good returner then IR'd out.

AAAAAAAAND thats why we let him walk,same tier as Bryce Brown was and now he has to play behind Sony.I don't feel bad letting him go

Voted first team means more than being fourth alternate that does play any day

Well we disagree here.So what Im saying is if Wentz was voted in even with his injury,he needs to do it again and PLAY this time.JMO and you aren't changing it.2017 wasn't a "dazzling year" for QB's anyhow.Similar to me as getting a SB ring and not playing in it.So did Wentz win a SB? No,he won a ring.So we just view things differently

2 hours ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

Well we disagree here.So what Im saying is if Wentz was voted in even with his injury,he needs to do it again and PLAY this time.JMO and you aren't changing it.2017 wasn't a "dazzling year" for QB's anyhow.Similar to me as getting a SB ring and not playing in it.So did Wentz win a SB? No,he won a ring.So we just view things differently

Nah, if Wentz plays in the pro bowl that means the Eagles aren't in the Superbowl.    So we don't want anyone actually playing,  but just get voted in. 

10 hours ago, cunninghamtheman said:

Maddox is a great out of the box thought.  Just not sure he gets to start. That would clearly hinder a Pro Bowl bid.

I honestly feel, based on Avonte's progress last season and just what's possible for him making the jump to year two that he's gonna work his way into the starting LCB spot and LeBlanc will man nickel. Also feel that Rasul will push for RCB. If Darby ends up not starting then he may not get on the field 'cause Douglas will play well enough that the coaches won't want him taken off of the field. 

5 hours ago, EaglesTD123 said:

I honestly feel, based on Avonte's progress last season and just what's possible for him making the jump to year two that he's gonna work his way into the starting LCB spot and LeBlanc will man nickel. Also feel that Rasul will push for RCB. If Darby ends up not starting then he may not get on the field 'cause Douglas will play well enough that the coaches won't want him taken off of the field. 

That’s what I also said I felt was our best lineup.