DaveSpadaro

[News] Early Thinking On Some Roster Battles To Watch

31 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

Barner gets two rings in a row...luck more than skill

It's always better to be lucky than good.

9 hours ago, joemas6 said:

Nah, if Wentz plays in the pro bowl that means the Eagles aren't in the Superbowl.    So we don't want anyone actually playing,  but just get voted in. 

So he played in neither

1 hour ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

So he played in neither

Yes, and he should hopefully keep that trend going with the pro bowl.   Get voted in but don't play.   I will say though, if he gets voted in, and we don't make the SB, I want him to play in his first one.  I know it seems most guys make up some fake injury to avoid having to go play there, but for his first one, let him go hang out with players from around the league, may help in free agency.   Then he can decline as much as he wants after that if he gets voted in and we don't make the SB. 

All I ask is to avoid the dorky quote ... I already have "#5 will always love you" ... and " How ya'll doin, lets make some noise " from #9.    LOL 

BTW,  I think Maddox starts somewhere from game 1.    Enough is enough now, just play the best player, and I think he stays on the field.   Where he plays will depend on the other guys.

He can start outside, then move to nickel... start at FS if McCloud isn't ready then move outside or to nickel.  But my guess is that he stays on the field.

3 minutes ago, joemas6 said:

BTW,  I think Maddox starts somewhere from game 1.    Enough is enough now, just play the best player, and I think he stays on the field.   Where he plays will depend on the other guys.

He can start outside, then move to nickel... start at FS if McCloud isn't ready then move outside or to nickel.  But my guess is that he stays on the field.

IMO the best case scenario for the Eagles would be if Jones and Maddox would win the outside CB positions outright. Everyone knows how I have felt about Douglas since he was drafted but I think he would be best suited to be trained in the Jack of all trades CB positions. I would like him to be able to fill in at "any" CB position. Sometimes your greater value to the team shows up better in a jack of all trades kind of capacity rather than just one position. 

17 minutes ago, joemas6 said:

Yes, and he should hopefully keep that trend going with the pro bowl.   Get voted in but don't play.   I will say though, if he gets voted in, and we don't make the SB, I want him to play in his first one.  I know it seems most guys make up some fake injury to avoid having to go play there, but for his first one, let him go hang out with players from around the league, may help in free agency.   Then he can decline as much as he wants after that if he gets voted in and we don't make the SB. 

All I ask is to avoid the dorky quote ... I already have "#5 will always love you" ... and " How ya'll doin, lets make some noise " from #9.    LOL 

I tend to think differently than most.Did Wentz win a SB? Not to me(Foles did).Was he(Wentz) part of a winning SB team?Sure and thats the difference for me.Sure he helped get us there,not in question,but until you actually put your hands on the ball in the game,I can't say you won it.Not that I feel those that don't should get "participation" trophies,because they all put the work in.So,it's just how I view things.I'm sorry he got hurt and could not complete the SB run that year and I just want to see him do it all.This could be the year that happens

9 minutes ago, 1wrangler said:

IMO the best case scenario for the Eagles would be if Jones and Maddox would win the outside CB positions outright. Everyone knows how I have felt about Douglas since he was drafted but I think he would be best suited to be trained in the Jack of all trades CB positions. I would like him to be able to fill in at "any" CB position. Sometimes your greater value to the team shows up better in a jack of all trades kind of capacity rather than just one position. 

Yeah we spent a 2 pick on Jones.Like Hollins,we have been patient,but we're gonna need to see something this year from both.I'd like to see Dillard get some snaps in,even if it's garbage time

RE-pro bowl. Have been to one.It's more for show than anything else.A game for the "fans".They don't hit hard,or try to hurt other guys.It's more like flag football,but it's a chance for fans to see their fav players up close. Got to "high 5" LT at the one I was at in Hawaii,but at least he showed.To me,avoiding the pro bowl is like being inducted into the HOF,but not showing up for the ceremony.The fans,coaches,owners have bestowed an honor on you and you should show up IMO

19 minutes ago, 1wrangler said:

IDK I think this team loves versatilty and any position.At least if someone is hurt, you have a body to put there,who knows the plays/team even if they are less than stellar

15 minutes ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

I tend to think differently than most.Did Wentz win a SB? Not to me(Foles did).Was he(Wentz) part of a winning SB team?Sure and thats the difference for me.Sure he helped get us there,not in question,but until you actually put your hands on the ball in the game,I can't say you won it.Not that I feel those that don't should get "participation" trophies,because they all put the work in.So,it's just how I view things.I'm sorry he got hurt and could not complete the SB run that year and I just want to see him do it all.This could be the year that happens

Rooting for a Eagles/Jacksonville Super Bowl. 

I will watch with interest,how we work Sanders/JJaw into this offense.They are both too talented to ride pine(unless they can't transition).Sorry,but as of now I have no clue with the available talent on offense we have,how any D is going to be able to cover it all

2 minutes ago, 1wrangler said:

Rooting for a Eagles/Jacksonville Super Bowl. 

That would be interesting 

4 minutes ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

IDK I think this team loves versatilty and any position.At least if someone is hurt, you have a body to put there,who knows the plays/team even if they are less than stellar

Besides Height, Douglas's strong suit is his route recognition which is why he can take a chance every once in a while and go for the pick. That is part of the reason he should be on the field on a regular basis. However, he is no faster than Mills speed wise. I like him being the first guy off the bench to give everyone else a blow. That could turn into a lot of reps during a game.

2 minutes ago, 1wrangler said:

Besides Height, Douglas's strong suit is his route recognition which is why he can take a chance every once in a while and go for the pick. That is part of the reason he should be on the field on a regular basis. However, he is no faster than Mills speed wise. I like him being the first guy off the bench to give everyone else a blow. That could turn into a lot of reps during a game.

All I want is SOLID play from the secondary.I just don't need to see a re-run of teams coming back on us dropping 50 yard dimes.If the D line can pressure more,that will help the secondary,but Schwartz rarely blitzes.I'd like to see him turn the dogs loose a bit more

4 minutes ago, 1wrangler said:

This is something I DONT want to see.I'd like to see us at + on TOP and ball control to keep other O's OFF the field.Ped still needs work on his clock management skills

2 hours ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

So, Wrang,who in your view at S could be the "safety blitz" guy? 

You may find this interesting GB. It is the league blitzing numbers and categories for 2017, the year the Eagles won the Super Bowl. Apparently the Eagles didn't blitz 78.9 percent of the time. 19 percent of the time they blitzed with one guy. 2.1 percent of the time they had a 3 man line and 9.5 percent of the time they blitzed with a DB.

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2018/pressure-number-pass-rushers-2017

9 minutes ago, 1wrangler said:

You may find this interesting GB. It is the league blitzing numbers and categories for 2017, the year the Eagles won the Super Bowl. Apparently the Eagles didn't blitz 78.9 percent of the time. 19 percent of the time they blitzed with one guy. 2.1 percent of the time they had a 3 man line and 9.5 percent of the time they blitzed with a DB.

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2018/pressure-number-pass-rushers-2017

Yep thats interesting

Don't know how many Phillie fans are on this board however I just finished watching these guys for the third time in a row and can see so many things they are doing wrong it is amazing. Some one is going to have to be made an example of pretty soon if they want to get back in the race at all.

15 hours ago, cunninghamtheman said:

I like the pickup but I like Bradham better

How do you know if you haven't seen him play in OUR scheme?????

18 hours ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

Correct, so you don't want to see him actually play in the pro bowl, you just want to see him get voted in. 

17 hours ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

This is something I DONT want to see.I'd like to see us at + on TOP and ball control to keep other O's OFF the field.Ped still needs work on his clock management skills

I actually think he is pretty good there.  But I differ in opinion of what clock management is from most people on this board.  Most look at time of possession as clock management.  To me when you occupy the ball,  you win the TOP stat... you do that by getting 10 yards on 3 plays or less so you can keep the ball. To me, that isn't clock management,  it's just good offense.   Clock management is the end of the half and end of the game where use either work fast or slow ( whatever is needed) to either get the next points or prevent the opponent from getting them.   

It's why I say Andy Reid is poor at clock management,  regardless if he wins TOP stat.  He messes up at the end of halves and games. Either too slow when behind or too fast when ahead.  Doug is pretty good in this area.