DaveSpadaro

[News] Early Thinking On Some Roster Battles To Watch

Every bit of motivation is welcome. He tore his knee up and got married. I’m very happy for him to find a life partner. But it’s distracting. Just no denying all the pressures and responsibilities that come with getting married. This offseason it should be all about the career. No doubt the big new contract brings those responsibilities as well. 

My expectations are sky high for this season. I’m not just going to be modest and be ho hum about it. Last season was disappointing. We were better team than sneaking in the playoffs through the backdoor. And we had to do that with the lesser talented guys, really. So this year we need to get out of the gates fast. I believe in the advantages of home field come playoff time.  And the advantages of earning a first round bye week. Being in that position from the beginning gives benefits. Being the front runner you can rest that injured guy a bit more. It gives you more options. That includes in individual games and as the season long journey is undertaken. Not overusing the star players so we can have them fresh down the home stretch.

4 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

My expectations are sky high for this season. I’m not just going to be modest and be ho hum about it. Last season was disappointing. We were better team than sneaking in the playoffs through the backdoor. And we had to do that with the lesser talented guys, really. So this year we need to get out of the gates fast. I believe in the advantages of home field come playoff time.  And the advantages of earning a first round bye week. Being in that position from the beginning gives benefits. Being the front runner you can rest that injured guy a bit more. It gives you more options. That includes in individual games and as the season long journey is undertaken. Not overusing the star players so we can have them fresh down the home stretch.

Well you can't plan on injuries and the Eagles have had their fair share in the last two years. That is one thing that has gotten worse since Chip Kelly has left. Of course the average age of the team has probably gotten older as well. More talented but also older. I never looked up that info so I am just assuming. Maybe someone could do that to see if there is any correlation.  

I did see on BleedinGreen.com that we have more unranked college prospects than five star ones. Not sure how much that really matters. Braxton Miller was a five star QB...Lane was a 0 star QB. Braxton shouldn’t make the team. Lane is potential All Pro. 

13 minutes ago, 1wrangler said:

Well you can't plan on injuries and the Eagles have had their fair share in the last two years. That is one thing that has gotten worse since Chip Kelly has left. Of course the average age of the team has probably gotten older as well. More talented but also older. I never looked up that info so I am just assuming. Maybe someone could do that to see if there is any correlation.  

Last season we really seemed to have mismanagement of injury. It’s a physical game. Injuries happen. But Hollins, Sproles, Clement, Carson and Jones just doesn’t seem like their injuries were handled properly. I’m sure there are others I’m not thinking of off the top of my head. We hired a new head of medical...so maybe there is something to that. 

Obviously you can point to the extra games and work that was put in during the Championship season. It wore down bodies. Guys had to play injured to bring home the Lombardi. So we limped into last season even.

2 hours ago, cunninghamtheman said:

I welcome him challenging our team. Our QB. Go ahead and pump the Dak is better than Carson narrative. Give Wentz extra reasons to prove him wrong. Number 11 does have plenty to prove. His team won it all with the backup. His team seemed to rally around the backup last year to get it in gear once he shut things down. The bar is set high this season. Many suggesting we have one of the more talented teams in the league. Vegas has us as fourth highest winning odds. Solid front office, coaching, owner(governor), fans, facilities.....time to go out and accomplish...all that’s left.

He's still a d8ickhead.Big difference to me in 'challenging" someone and outright hatred(see Djax).And BTW Djax is sick of his crap too

1 hour ago, cunninghamtheman said:

Every bit of motivation is welcome. He tore his knee up and got married. I’m very happy for him to find a life partner. But it’s distracting. Just no denying all the pressures and responsibilities that come with getting married. This offseason it should be all about the career. No doubt the big new contract brings those responsibilities as well. 

LMAO marriage is not a distraction,DATING WAS.IDK how many "responsibilities" you can have making 22 mil a year and now he has a partner always pulling for him,to me thats not a distraction,that is a relief of same

1 hour ago, cunninghamtheman said:

Our talented guys were injured at alot of positions,IDK how you can be disappointed that we did what we did with 2nd and 3rd stringers

43 minutes ago, 1wrangler said:

IDK,someone is getting paid too much for this. We are talking in most cases less than a 2 year average age difference.27 is now apparently "antique" age? Nice of you to post that however.Alot of our age factor has to be Peters,likewise Brady for the Pats.OH  then he says well that's 116 years between high and low.This is comical to me,trying to make more out of it than it is because thats also 116 years more NFL experience.Depends on your perspective

6 hours ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

So you're assuming JJaw is a starter? I can see a few snaps a game but really you're gonna sit your million dollar babies?  Nice set up for the following year though

No on starter. All I was thinking was: 'IF' JJAW is on the field at the same time as Julian Love is, he's gonna eat him alive.

8 hours ago, cunninghamtheman said:

Feeling pretty confident.  That was against Notre Dame. So you know those defenders have some ability worthy of being professional. And they are getting quality coaching. It’s an understanding of pushing that DB until he’s forced to open his hips in the wrong direction. Or even just one little shuffle of indecision. He’s showing an understanding of his route depends on the defender. All it takes is a understanding between him and the QB that he’s going to adjust accordingly to the defense. Pretty unstoppable when the two get on the same page. And we are talking a guy that has the size, length and body control that he can win over the smaller DB if things are equal. That’s everything to give a coach and especially a QB confidence to go to that well over and over.

Thanks Ham!

1 hour ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

LMAO marriage is not a distraction,DATING WAS.IDK how many "responsibilities" you can have making 22 mil a year and now he has a partner always pulling for him,to me thats not a distraction,that is a relief of same

FL have you never been married man? Tons of planning goes into a wedding. Tons of stress from all angles. Who gets invited? Who sits where? What family drama unfolds? Where to have the rehearsal dinner? Where to have the wedding? What to wear? Where to go on a honeymoon? Where do all these people stay? When can you have the wedding? Meeting relatives from her family and vice versa. A wedding is a major event. So much involved without even mentioning coming up with vows. And I had a special encouraging note with a beautiful bouquet with words of encouragement sent to her on that special day right before hand. But it was stressful...and nerve racking and.....

27 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

FL have you never been married man? Tons of planning goes into a wedding. Tons of stress from all angles. Who gets invited? Who sits where? What family drama unfolds? Where to have the rehearsal dinner? Where to have the wedding? What to wear? Where to go on a honeymoon? Where do all these people stay? When can you have the wedding? Meeting relatives from her family and vice versa. A wedding is a major event. So much involved without even mentioning coming up with vows. And I had a special encouraging note with a beautiful bouquet with words of encouragement sent to her on that special day right before hand. But it was stressful...and nerve racking and.....

I circumvented all that. My future father in law and mother in law made my wife the offer of a nice wedding or a large down payment on our first home. My wife took the down payment. LOL Been married now for almost 48 years.  I always remember this one quote I read long ago and don't remember the author. You know you're in love when you can't fall asleep at night because your reality is finally better than your dreams. 

I love this thinking. Come up with go to plays after certain situations. Like after a long completion: it takes time to get up there and everybody get set. It helps to have a Go To Play. Really you need to practice that situation so a normal playcall can happen. Don’t mess around after a big successful play.  But I believe in preparing on both levels. 

And I’m really big on having multiple plays out of the same formation and personnel groupings. I love to zig when they expect a zag. Part of that is to not just scout your opponent each week but to take time to self scout periodically to notice your own tendencies and maybe notice shortcoming areas.

1 minute ago, 1wrangler said:

I circumvented all that. My future father in law and mother in law made my wife the offer of a nice wedding or a large down payment on our first home. My wife took the down payment. LOL Been married now for almost 48 years.  I always remember this one quote I read long ago and don't remember the author. You know you're in love when you can't fall asleep at night because your reality is finally better than your dreams. 

I did destination wedding to the mountains(out by Thomas Jefferson’s home in the Shenandoah).So much more planning. So much pressure also because it was at an old historic plantation. Plus getting married is a huge step. Sometimes I wonder if I lost my mind...and what was I thinking LOL

Duce has his hands full getting the rookie up to speed. My biggest concern has been ball security. But his pass blocking is a key area he has to improve. This might be even more important actually. Have to protect the franchise QB. And he needs this skill to be relied on in multiple situations. He hasn’t had much work I’m receiving. He looks like he can handle pass catching fairly naturally to me. So I don’t think this will be a problem. Just needs reps and experience. But the pass blocking he needs all levels to improve. He just can’t be out there but so often until he can prove himself as a reliable and willing pass blocker. That will be the key to his playing time.

3 hours ago, cunninghamtheman said:

Twice and with another for 12 years lol

38 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

Duce has his hands full getting the rookie up to speed. My biggest concern has been ball security. But his pass blocking is a key area he has to improve. This might be even more important actually. Have to protect the franchise QB. And he needs this skill to be relied on in multiple situations. He hasn’t had much work I’m receiving. He looks like he can handle pass catching fairly naturally to me. So I don’t think this will be a problem. Just needs reps and experience. But the pass blocking he needs all levels to improve. He just can’t be out there but so often until he can prove himself as a reliable and willing pass blocker. That will be the key to his playing time.

3 hours ago, 1wrangler said:

3 hours ago, cunninghamtheman said:

For 22 mil a year I'll hire someone lol

Up here for 5 bucks you can name anyone to perform the ceremony. Pop on down to the beach

And who the heck listens to Skip Clueless north of Dullass? Have better ways to waste my time