DaveSpadaro

[News] Early Thinking On Some Roster Battles To Watch

Mom married 3 times, divorced 3 times. Dad married 3 times, divorced twice. I've never married but been with the same woman for 20 yrs - longer than any of their marriages!

It’s about time that top college athletes can make money off their own likeness. I agree with California on this. So obvious watching Zion in basketball this last season. Everybody making fortunes off the kid but the kid himself....just un-American if you ask me. 

12 hours ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

Skip Bayless is a D8ickhead

LMAO, that's an understatement! I hope you didn't just take notice to that and something just refreshed your memory. LOL

9 hours ago, cunninghamtheman said:

TD I missed the fact that the giants got Julian Love. I was more focused on they got Deandre Baker. That was a guy I had targeted at 25. He’s a beast! But now he’s drafted by the enemy so he needs to develop into a bum.

Yes, bum all the way. At least I hope for the gnats sake. I remembered Julian Love's name, but couldn't remember who took him. Had to look it up and saw he was a 4th to NY. Not saying he won't turn out to be a stud at 4th. But that begged me to ask if JJAW would be that good up against NFL vets. After I discovered that Love was taken by the giants I had to study that clip 3 more times, LOL Loved how JJAW owned him!

Skip Bayless is good at what he does. It’s all ratings. Just like you can’t talk NBA fit the last decade without it being LeBron heavy...we just saw polls rating the Cowboys fans as the top fan base. They have to be represented...and talked about. You run a National TV show and are fanboying talking about the Bengals everyday and I’ll show you an unemployed tv personality. I think Skip is from Oklahoma so the dallas connection makes sense. But I have to give Skip credit. There is a reason he has dominated the sports debate...he’s damn good at it. Took them forever searching to find a worthy adversary in Stephen A Smith on ESPN. But Shannon Sharp was the clear cut runner up. Hats off to Fox for stealing Skip and pairing him up with Sharpe. Huge move by Fox. And I like Chris Carter. He has real intel and info. Smart guy that knows what he’s talking about. I liked Mike and Mike for what seemed like ages. But Mike Greenberg sunk that dynamic. Paired up with Jalen, which I really can’t stand. I’m a fan of Golic. But admit after many many years I find myself tuning to ESPN less and less.

3 minutes ago, EaglesTD123 said:

Yes, bum all the way. At least I hope for the gnats sake. I remembered Julian Love's name, but couldn't remember who took him. Had to look it up and saw he was a 4th to NY. Not saying he won't turn out to be a stud at 4th. But that begged me to ask if JJAW would be that good up against NFL vets. After I discovered that Love was taken by the giants I had to study that clip 3 more times, LOL Loved how JJAW owned him!

Just owned him!

12 hours ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

Skip Bayless is a D8ickhead

I only watched Skip & Shannon for like 5 minutes and said, "Enough of this!"  What a circus. To put it bluntly LOL

8 hours ago, joemas6 said:

IDK.. in general I agree with Skip ... I like him pumping up Dak and Dallas and that he hates the Eagles

I have no clue what Bayless said, but go ahead and downplay the Birds. That just gives them even more fuel for the fire. We all witnessed what happened when everyone was counting the Eagles out and had 'em as underdogs. 🎼ON THE ROAD TO VICTORY E-A-G-L-E-S! Eagles!🎼

8 hours ago, 1wrangler said:

LOL Vicks birthday is the same as mine only he is 39 and I am 66. The years between at 35 and 45 were probably the best years of my life although these retirement years aren't bad either! 

Well Happy Birthday Wrang!

442886756_FoghornLeghorn-HappyBirthday.jpg.927b356ff149ab19169b387523d495a6.jpg

6 hours ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

He's still a d8ickhead.Big difference to me in 'challenging" someone and outright hatred(see Djax).And BTW Djax is sick of his crap too

It's too hard to be honest. So whatever. Let him be a hater. I could care less. In fact IDC at all LOL  I welcome a large percentage of media to be haters and PO the Birds.

15 hours ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

So you're assuming JJaw is a starter? I can see a few snaps a game but really you're gonna sit your million dollar babies?  Nice set up for the following year though

HA-HA

53 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

It’s about time that top college athletes can make money off their own likeness. I agree with California on this. So obvious watching Zion in basketball this last season. Everybody making fortunes off the kid but the kid himself....just un-American if you ask me. 

It will destroy the game of college basketball if you have paid athletes for many reasons.

1. The top prospects will go to the highest bidders making smaller schools obsolete. Part of the thrill of the college basketball playoffs is even a 16 seed can beat a 1 seed and anybody has a chance to win it. That won't be the case then.

2. Most 18 year old kids aren't mature enough to handle that kind of money responsibly. 

3. The level of play will drop dramatically. You pay these already entitled individuals they won't work as hard in college to become better pros.

4. You will basically have free agency every year. Why would anyone that wasn't a top prospect sign more then a 1 year deal with a college? Plus top colleges will try poaching players off of lesser college teams. 

Those are just a few of the reasons why I don't like it. And why the NCAA has put their foot down.

College athletes are already getting paid pretty handsomely if you ask me. Up to 5 years (if red shirt) of education last I checked that's more than I got paid while in college. 

3 hours ago, downwithdallas said:

It will destroy the game of college basketball if you have paid athletes for many reasons.

1. The top prospects will go to the highest bidders making smaller schools obsolete. Part of the thrill of the college basketball playoffs is even a 16 seed can beat a 1 seed and anybody has a chance to win it. That won't be the case then.

2. Most 18 year old kids aren't mature enough to handle that kind of money responsibly. 

3. The level of play will drop dramatically. You pay these already entitled individuals they won't work as hard in college to become better pros.

4. You will basically have free agency every year. Why would anyone that wasn't a top prospect sign more then a 1 year deal with a college? Plus top colleges will try poaching players off of lesser college teams. 

Those are just a few of the reasons why I don't like it. And why the NCAA has put their foot down.

College athletes are already getting paid pretty handsomely if you ask me. Up to 5 years (if red shirt) of education last I checked that's more than I got paid while in college. 

Doesn’t sound like you read the article. Top prospects already go to the same schools every year. The small schools are competitive because they can accumulate Juniors and Seniors compared to the One and Done Freshman. But the point of the bill wasn’t about colleges paying kids. That isn’t the legislation that California is approving. It’s that the kids have the right to make money off their own likeness. Not from the colleges but from sponsers. And I don’t see why these kids work ethic falls off a cliff just because they get paid from using their images. Sure plenty 18 year olds aren’t very mature. But that’s the pitfalls they already are falling in anyway(for some). Nobody is signing any one year deals to become free agents at the college level. They have transfer rules. You have to sit out a season to transfer unless you already graduated. So basically you’re(respectfully) wrong on all accounts. And the NBA came up with the dumb rule you have to go to college one year. More to protect the NBA franchises from themselves than anything. And the NFL you have to be in three years. Billions of dollars being made. Just not the American way. 

6 hours ago, cunninghamtheman said:

Doesn’t sound like you read the article. Top prospects already go to the same schools every year. The small schools are competitive because they can accumulate Juniors and Seniors compared to the One and Done Freshman. But the point of the bill wasn’t about colleges paying kids. That isn’t the legislation that California is approving. It’s that the kids have the right to make money off their own likeness. Not from the colleges but from sponsers. And I don’t see why these kids work ethic falls off a cliff just because they get paid from using their images. Sure plenty 18 year olds aren’t very mature. But that’s the pitfalls they already are falling in anyway(for some). Nobody is signing any one year deals to become free agents at the college level. They have transfer rules. You have to sit out a season to transfer unless you already graduated. So basically you’re(respectfully) wrong on all accounts. And the NBA came up with the dumb rule you have to go to college one year. More to protect the NBA franchises from themselves than anything. And the NFL you have to be in three years. Billions of dollars being made. Just not the American way. 

Whats next paying HS stars?

6 hours ago, cunninghamtheman said:

SOOOO being recruited to play by say at Notre Dame or Clemson isn't a better deal than Akron U or Appalacian State?.I would imagine the top prospects go to the better schools and by paying college kids you are offering yet another exercise in irresponsibility since basically all one needs to do is get through HS.This would promote "don't need to bust in college" which produces dumber people and while you could still play sports with a "C",you'd have no reason to push for a 4.0. Free educations is a pretty nice benefit don't you think? If you make a name for yourself in college,that's GREAT,wait your turn,the money will come.I see no reasons to pay them early.BTW California is a disaster,so if they came up with it,I'm probably against it.Calif.only wants the tax revenue

11 hours ago, mjkline1958 said:

Mom married 3 times, divorced 3 times. Dad married 3 times, divorced twice. I've never married but been with the same woman for 20 yrs - longer than any of their marriages!

Something to be said for that MJK!  ?Been Married twice and divorced once.

19 hours ago, cunninghamtheman said:

No Mas there is no denying that Carson has a ton of pressure on him. Most do much better with the extra motivation to shut up the naysayers. Have that chip on their shoulder. And being the number two overall pick doesn’t provide that naturally. 

Ham, lets be honest ..... any QB has 300lb guys chasing him looking to hurt him ... they are also on the field as competitors looking to win.   During plays, I don't think QBs think about any extra pressure.   There is no time ... lterally... time, because things happen so fast and you need to be paying attention.    Whatever "extra" pressure anyone wants to conjure up, I don't really care.    I need Wentz focused on winning football games.   

If he is relaxed, not feeling pressure ... what does that do for us as the ball is snapped?   Just relax and let the 300lb guy hit you.... relax, take your good old time making the reads ...lol.   

Just play to win... guys playing to win always have the pressure.... you know when there isn't pressure... when you know your team has no shot to win, then you just play for stats.   IDK, I like it when my guys play to win.  So I assume they always have pressure on them.  

20 hours ago, 1wrangler said:

If you recall, Bayless had a lot of negative comments about Foles as well. In a different time an era Bayless wouldn't have ever made it on TV but times have changed and people have changed to the degree that they love their shock and in your face Sports people or they wouldn't watch him. 

Happy birthday Wrang!     I agree... Skip lost me a few years ago, when I starting watching some....   when he said "who is Cole Hamels that he thinks he can hit Bryce Harper"   I wouldn't trust him in a playoff game ""      Gee Skip... maybe he was the 2008 postseason MVP?   Also pitched pretty well in 2010 & 2011 post season.   Right there, kinda confirmed my suspicions... not only the "shock" part ... but the fact that these national guys don't know as much about specifics... too many teams to follow.  

53 minutes ago, joemas6 said:

Ham, lets be honest ..... any QB has 300lb guys chasing him looking to hurt him ... they are also on the field as competitors looking to win.   During plays, I don't think QBs think about any extra pressure.   There is no time ... lterally... time, because things happen so fast and you need to be paying attention.    Whatever "extra" pressure anyone wants to conjure up, I don't really care.    I need Wentz focused on winning football games.   

If he is relaxed, not feeling pressure ... what does that do for us as the ball is snapped?   Just relax and let the 300lb guy hit you.... relax, take your good old time making the reads ...lol.   

Just play to win... guys playing to win always have the pressure.... you know when there isn't pressure... when you know your team has no shot to win, then you just play for stats.   IDK, I like it when my guys play to win.  So I assume they always have pressure on them.  

Football is a sport of weight training and practice ninety percent of the time. They only play 16 real events(or games) until you can even be blessed with postseason experiences. That pressure and chip on your shoulders helps drive you to train harder. Workout harder. Maybe be a bit more focused on your craft in those days so far away from actually playing in a Super Bowl. All that preparation is what gets you ready for the moments after the actual snap on game days.

2 hours ago, joemas6 said:

Happy birthday Wrang!     I agree... Skip lost me a few years ago, when I starting watching some....   when he said "who is Cole Hamels that he thinks he can hit Bryce Harper"   I wouldn't trust him in a playoff game ""      Gee Skip... maybe he was the 2008 postseason MVP?   Also pitched pretty well in 2010 & 2011 post season.   Right there, kinda confirmed my suspicions... not only the "shock" part ... but the fact that these national guys don't know as much about specifics... too many teams to follow.  

I read somewhere that Hamels isn't ruling out finishing his career with the Phillies. How much does he have left in the tank? Bet the Phillies could use him this year. LOL

23 hours ago, 1wrangler said:

Well you can't plan on injuries and the Eagles have had their fair share in the last two years. That is one thing that has gotten worse since Chip Kelly has left. Of course the average age of the team has probably gotten older as well. More talented but also older. I never looked up that info so I am just assuming. Maybe someone could do that to see if there is any correlation.  

The younger guys got hurt though...  Darby, Jones, Mills, Clement, Ajayi, Hicks, Barnett, Jernigan, Hollins ..etc.

22 hours ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

LMAO marriage is not a distraction,DATING WAS.IDK how many "responsibilities" you can have making 22 mil a year and now he has a partner always pulling for him,to me thats not a distraction,that is a relief of same

I agree..  old school it was different.   These guys today all live together first anyway, nothing really changes.  I doubt she stayed at her own place before they were married...etc.  I don't buy that part of it... kids however,  that will be a life changing event for sure. 

20 hours ago, cunninghamtheman said:

FL have you never been married man? Tons of planning goes into a wedding. Tons of stress from all angles. Who gets invited? Who sits where? What family drama unfolds? Where to have the rehearsal dinner? Where to have the wedding? What to wear? Where to go on a honeymoon? Where do all these people stay? When can you have the wedding? Meeting relatives from her family and vice versa. A wedding is a major event. So much involved without even mentioning coming up with vows. And I had a special encouraging note with a beautiful bouquet with words of encouragement sent to her on that special day right before hand. But it was stressful...and nerve racking and.....

Yeah... somehow I doubt Carson planned much of the wedding... and when did he get married?   Before the season... I think his knee was pretty much the main factor last year... which led to the back.  I don't think where Aunt Helen sat at the wedding was a major factor?

19 hours ago, cunninghamtheman said:

I love this thinking. Come up with go to plays after certain situations. Like after a long completion: it takes time to get up there and everybody get set. It helps to have a Go To Play. Really you need to practice that situation so a normal playcall can happen. Don’t mess around after a big successful play.  But I believe in preparing on both levels. 

And I’m really big on having multiple plays out of the same formation and personnel groupings. I love to zig when they expect a zag. Part of that is to not just scout your opponent each week but to take time to self scout periodically to notice your own tendencies and maybe notice shortcoming areas.

Andy Reid was a master of getting the play called quickly...  lol

16 hours ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

For 22 mil a year I'll hire someone 

Lol... really, they have wedding planners? That's a thing?