DaveSpadaro

[News] Early Thinking On Some Roster Battles To Watch

3 hours ago, cunninghamtheman said:

Football is a sport of weight training and practice ninety percent of the time. They only play 16 real events(or games) until you can even be blessed with postseason experiences. That pressure and chip on your shoulders helps drive you to train harder. Workout harder. Maybe be a bit more focused on your craft in those days so far away from actually playing in a Super Bowl. All that preparation is what gets you ready for the moments after the actual snap on game days.

Yeah... or just simply trying to win. You gotta work to win.  Everything else is meaningless. 

1 hour ago, 1wrangler said:

I read somewhere that Hamels isn't ruling out finishing his career with the Phillies. How much does he have left in the tank? Bet the Phillies could use him this year. LOL

They could use his calmness and championship pedigree for sure.  Plus a lefty in the rotation, even if he is a #3 or #4 starter. 

49 minutes ago, joemas6 said:

Yeah... or just simply trying to win. You gotta work to win.  Everything else is meaningless. 

Such a weak answer. Everybody wants to win. Who wants to lose? 

But what motivates you? What is your main priority? It’s embodied in all the Rocky movies....that extra drive...that junkyard dog mentality...the eye of the tiger. As a spoiled champ doing photo shoots Rocky trained hard...and lost. When the Russian killed his friend while he stood and watched...then he was supremely motivated. Never trained with such ferocity like that before. Nothing was going to stop him.

48 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

You gotta work to win Ham!   That's enough for type A personalities.... they hate to lose.    There is no EXTRA pressure when you don't care about anything else besides getting the trophy.    That's it.  You don't care what Bob from Mt Laurel thinks about you ... you lose, you are pissed because you lost, not that Bob is disappointed.  

The eak answer.... have you ever put in the work that these guys put in... all the hours ... why do they do it.   Because they are competitiors and want to win.  Otherwise, you just rely on your talent and put in the minimal work to stay in the league and get paid.    From watching Wentz the last few years, I don't think he is a minimum work guy... I think he wants to win, and then next year after he wins, I don't think he eases off ... nor the year after that ... nor the year after that.   

You have Cox and Wentz as your leaders/ best players on their sides of the ball.... both of those guys changed their whole diets.   You think every time Cox passes up his mama's cooking ... he is worried about "EXTRA " pressure.     The sacrifices these guys make to win ...   that's enough.   

1 hour ago, cunninghamtheman said:

Nah... I think a lot of guys just want to get paid or the fame.     Yuo think Djax really was soley obsessed about winning his first time here?    Like the time he whined instead of making the tackle after Foles threw the INT in Detroit?   

Come on, you watched sports over the years... you know better than that.  Not everyone is motivated the same for winning.   Plenty of guys just want to be good enough to get paid.  

1 hour ago, cunninghamtheman said:

But what motivates you? What is your main priority? It’s embodied in all the Rocky movies....that extra drive...that junkyard dog mentality...the eye of the tiger. As a spoiled champ doing photo shoots Rocky trained hard...and lost. When the Russian killed his friend while he stood and watched...then he was supremely motivated. Never trained with such ferocity like that before. Nothing was going to stop him.

Yeah.... the movies!    LOL

Ham, I'm starting to worry .... movies and pressure from the wedding planning might have taken its toll.    I'm an Iralina dude from Philly area... but I know Rocky isn't real.   LOL

1 minute ago, cunninghamtheman said:

That’s what makes Rocky a good movie. Not that he is by far the most talented fighter. His work ethic and determination makes all the difference.

Correct!

Not sure what to tell you if you don’t think there is stress involved in a wedding. You want everything to go well. You wonder about the in laws loving and getting along with your family and friends. So many factors. Like I said I hadn’t even begun with the stresses and pressures of a wedding. It definitely takes priority over the job. The focus is much more there than on work. And it isn’t just you...it’s your bride. It’s a huge deal to them(Any I’ve ever been around). Bridezilla is a term frequently associated with women during the time leading up to the wedding. But I’m sure Carson was just ho hum about the whole affair. Just thinking about rehab and the playbook...who cares if my wife is getting her dream wedding or anything. I’m sure she never even mentioned the wedding until he met her down the aisle.

I can picture it now: instead of talking about the wedding Wentz’s wife was focused on discussing how her fiancé could improve on the Philly Special...I’m sure.

So according to you all top players work just the same level of intensity everyday and every hour. Nothing can shake them, distract them....or even further motivate them. Like all the talk from these players every year when they lose and they describe their motivation to not let that happen again...all BS according to you. 

Player A just wants to win. Player B wants to win and promises his dad on his deathbed that he will win it all for him. I’m sure PlAyer A works out just as hard as Player B. Nothing could possibly motivate you further. And nothing could sharpen your focus even more.

You probably already forgot about the young boy that Carson befriended that passed away. Carson wore that rubber braclet. But I’m sure that meant nothing to him. Didn’t effect him at all.

14 hours ago, cunninghamtheman said:

Doesn’t sound like you read the article. Top prospects already go to the same schools every year. The small schools are competitive because they can accumulate Juniors and Seniors compared to the One and Done Freshman. But the point of the bill wasn’t about colleges paying kids. That isn’t the legislation that California is approving. It’s that the kids have the right to make money off their own likeness. Not from the colleges but from sponsers. And I don’t see why these kids work ethic falls off a cliff just because they get paid from using their images. Sure plenty 18 year olds aren’t very mature. But that’s the pitfalls they already are falling in anyway(for some). Nobody is signing any one year deals to become free agents at the college level. They have transfer rules. You have to sit out a season to transfer unless you already graduated. So basically you’re(respectfully) wrong on all accounts. And the NBA came up with the dumb rule you have to go to college one year. More to protect the NBA franchises from themselves than anything. And the NFL you have to be in three years. Billions of dollars being made. Just not the American way. 

I didn't read the article I can't stand basketball. I would rather watch an ant colony do ant stuff than watch basketball. Obviously I don't know what ants do so you can tell I don't care to watch ants either. But I did stay at a holiday inn last night so that qualifies me to comment on it. (I really did my daughter's plane came in at 2am this morning)

But I do think that players caring more about their personal brand will cause players to slack on their training and let's not forget Iverson and his skipping practices for commercials or anything else. Iverson could have been one of the best players to ever play the game if he dedicated himself more to the game than to himself. 

There will be a mass exodus of players switching schools as well just so they can get paid. Maybe not at a free agency pace but there will be plenty of players that want to be paid now. Especially since they are advised not to leave school unless they would be a possible 1st rd pick. Let's remember there are plenty of ways to get out of sitting out a year not just if you graduated. 

42 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

Not sure what to tell you if you don’t think there is stress involved in a wedding. You want everything to go well. You wonder about the in laws loving and getting along with your family and friends. So many factors. Like I said I hadn’t even begun with the stresses and pressures of a wedding. It definitely takes priority over the job. The focus is much more there than on work. And it isn’t just you...it’s your bride. It’s a huge deal to them(Any I’ve ever been around). Bridezilla is a term frequently associated with women during the time leading up to the wedding. But I’m sure Carson was just ho hum about the whole affair. Just thinking about rehab and the playbook...who cares if my wife is getting her dream wedding or anything. I’m sure she never even mentioned the wedding until he met her down the aisle.

Ham,

My guess with Wentz... they all probably know each other for a while now ... right????  Wasn't this a long time girlfriend?    Not every situation is the same.   Besides... when was the wedding... last July... it was over before the season started....2 months????  Wentz still had rehab etc.  I don't really think the color of the napkins or where Aunt Thelma sat was a major factor in his play.   Sorry.   Really don't think it mattered 2 months after it was over????? 

23 minutes ago, downwithdallas said:

I didn't read the article I can't stand basketball. I would rather watch an ant colony do ant stuff than watch basketball. Obviously I don't know what ants do so you can tell I don't care to watch ants either. But I did stay at a holiday inn last night so that qualifies me to comment on it. (I really did my daughter's plane came in at 2am this morning)

But I do think that players caring more about their personal brand will cause players to slack on their training and let's not forget Iverson and his skipping practices for commercials or anything else. Iverson could have been one of the best players to ever play the game if he dedicated himself more to the game than to himself. 

There will be a mass exodus of players switching schools as well just so they can get paid. Maybe not at a free agency pace but there will be plenty of players that want to be paid now. Especially since they are advised not to leave school unless they would be a possible 1st rd pick. Let's remember there are plenty of ways to get out of sitting out a year not just if you graduated. 

This is NCAA rules. Not just basketball but all sports. And there already is a huge amount of players hitting the transfer portal every year. And the NBA just had a massive record breaking amount of underclassman enter the draft...that weren’t first rounders...didn’t even get drafted. Lastly Iverson was one of the greatest players to ever play the game. The guy most obsessed about his personal brand I can think of is Peyton Manning. Things have worked out alright for him. It goes both ways. But it’s nit just the money...it’s the fame that corrupts. And everybody is fine with women gymnasts that peak at 17. I believe in capitalism. The NCAA has been the dictator for far too long. 

DWD read the article, dude. That will help you understand.

16 minutes ago, joemas6 said:

Ham,

My guess with Wentz... they all probably know each other for a while now ... right????  Wasn't this a long time girlfriend?    Not every situation is the same.   Besides... when was the wedding... last July... it was over before the season started....2 months????  Wentz still had rehab etc.  I don't really think the color of the napkins or where Aunt Thelma sat was a major factor in his play.   Sorry.   Really don't think it mattered 2 months after it was over????? 

This is where you are missing what I’m saying. It’s a year round training to get you to the top. The next guy is in there 12 months a year...a half hour earlier than you. Look at LeBron. Unbelievable physical gifts. But that includes the whole NBA. But LeBron hits the training room...HARD. In better shape than most every player. He watches all the film. Seems like nonstop. Has an understanding of the game that clearly he has worked hard to achieve. I bet you could ask him what the favorite move of every player in the league is and he could spit the answer right out. Talk to him about all the different coaches and he knows their philosophies and histories. And that guy has been in most every Final for the last decade. If you want to be the best....you have to put in the time year round. There is no "oh it’s two months before the season so I don’t worry about my craft”.” That’s the dedication. And you have to be supremely motivated. A great example is Mike Vick. Admitted he didn’t put in the work early on in his career. Still one of, if not THE, most talented players on the field every Sunday. But then look at what he could accomplish after everything was taken away. If he would have hit the league year one that way....sky was the limit. Heck sky was the limit anyway...nothing that guy couldn’t accomplish if properly motivated and worked hard. Watch him in college. He grew up under the Allen Iverson shadow(yes AI the QB, I’m talking about). Redshirted his freshmam year. Worked his tail off to become something. And he was an unstoppable force. His brother had the same talents. But Marcus had it easy riding on his brothers coatails. His brother got him a fat car. He had all the notoriety to not need to earn much. It was expected of him. He failed miserably. Took it all for granted. Didn’t work at it...just partied. Accomplished? Jail time is about it.

2 hours ago, cunninghamtheman said:

So much great info in this. Look at the pressure and performance graph. Exactly right. Boredom to the left where an athlete isn’t pushed enough to really excel. Too much stress and pressure to the right where it negatively effects the performance. The best and top athletes have the widest range in the middle. They don’t need to be pushed but so much to perform at a high level but also thrive under the highest pressure moments. Ready to kick butt week three vs the Bengals or in the Super Bowl vs the Pats. Achieving that high level consistency.

2 hours ago, cunninghamtheman said:

This is NCAA rules. Not just basketball but all sports. And there already is a huge amount of players hitting the transfer portal every year. And the NBA just had a massive record breaking amount of underclassman enter the draft...that weren’t first rounders...didn’t even get drafted. Lastly Iverson was one of the greatest players to ever play the game. The guy most obsessed about his personal brand I can think of is Peyton Manning. Things have worked out alright for him. It goes both ways. But it’s nit just the money...it’s the fame that corrupts. And everybody is fine with women gymnasts that peak at 17. I believe in capitalism. The NCAA has been the dictator for far too long. 

DWD read the article, dude. That will help you understand.

I was going off of what Minnesota sports radio was talking about originally but that was me joining the show 2 hours into it. So I probably missed the talk about the actual article itself and joined in after they went off topic and were spitballing other stuff like what will this lead to. I won't read the article cause I care little about college sports other than football and I can scout talent whether they are getting paid or not. But I think it is perfectly fair that they don't get paid cash money they are getting a free education if they are smart enough to take advantage of it. I think a college education is more then fair compensation. A 4 year degree for a full time student at a division 1 school is mighty expensive. Even at smaller schools it is still a pretty penny. I would gladly take a 4 year education just to play a kids game. 

6 minutes ago, downwithdallas said:

I was going off of what Minnesota sports radio was talking about originally but that was me joining the show 2 hours into it. So I probably missed the talk about the actual article itself and joined in after they went off topic and were spitballing other stuff like what will this lead to. I won't read the article cause I care little about college sports other than football and I can scout talent whether they are getting paid or not. But I think it is perfectly fair that they don't get paid cash money they are getting a free education if they are smart enough to take advantage of it. I think a college education is more then fair compensation. A 4 year degree for a full time student at a division 1 school is mighty expensive. Even at smaller schools it is still a pretty penny. I would gladly take a 4 year education just to play a kids game. 

So should Wentz accept a Temple scholarship for postgraduate studies instead of the 32 million a year? Sure college isn’t cheap. But these many of these top athletes aren’t getting degrees. They are filling huge stadiums with people. People that go to the bookstore and buy jerseys, flags and endless merchandise. Athletics raises the schools noteriety. Billions of dollars are being generated on these kids. Most don’t graduate. And most don’t make much in the pros. The colleges have no problem using them. They have to wear spinsership logos to represent their schools. Huge contracts that Nike and the others all sign exclusively with these colleges. This isn’t asked of many other things in life. It’s completely hypocritical. Any other profession and this kid gets paid! Capitalist society. A singer and they make millions. Doesn’t matter if they are in college. A brilliant scientist or mathematician. They can get paid. And the college offers them a scholarship. What’s so different about sports? Just the strong arm of the NCAA machine is all. Zuckerberg created Facebook. Do you believe he should have just been happy to get a free college scholarship and hand over all rights to his multi billion dollar creation?