DaveSpadaro

[News] Early Thinking On Some Roster Battles To Watch

1 hour ago, downwithdallas said:

We currently have 21 million in cap space. 

We have 5 million in 2020 but a lot of room to rework deals that need to be done (Cox, Bradham, Jenkins and Jeffrey come to mind) or trim fat that isn't living up to expectations.

I had heard 21 mil before the Wentz extension. Not sure how exactly that has effected the numbers. That’s why I guessed at around 17.

But we could sign anybody really because we know it will be a backloaded contract. Meaning the cap hit for this year would only be 4 mil on a 100 mil contract.

I’m curious how agents, players and owners feel about salaries for the 2021 season. I would think it to be a good time to line up big cap hits considering it’s a possible uncapped season situation. And players don’t care about how the cap hits are aligned. But players have to be wary of huge salaries paying off in 2021. If you sign a 100 mil contract that has a modest signing bonus and heavily weighted with 2021 base or roster bonus then your agent sucks. Because if the players holdout they don’t get paid. If the owners lockout they pay even without games. 

This whole situation of the CBA expiring you have to consider Jenkins situation. He’s huge with the players union and all. So he could be very difficult to deal with at that time. Doesn’t make him a bad guy or anything. Not saying anything like that. Just remembering back to the bad blood of our previous owner and Reggie White. Not sure exactly how involved directly Lurie will get in these negotiations. Just a consideration. Pretty much seems like this already was considered with his contract expiring right then.

9 hours ago, cunninghamtheman said:

I don’t think Clement caught any passes until he went over 100 yards receiving in the SB. 

This is the play that convinced me that the Eagles had a keeper in Carson. Third screen down, Clement was the third option. Wentz in major traffic leads Clement perfectly for the score.

https://theathletic.com/139001/2017/10/27/how-carson-wentz-added-north-dakota-state-flavor-to-the-eagles-playbook/

13 hours ago, downwithdallas said:

5 days talking about a wedding really lol I never thought a wedding would be a topic on here. Yet here you guys are 5 days later still talking about it wedding lol

Here's something new but old too.

Yannhttps://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/06/29/no-signs-of-progress-for-jaguars-yannick-ngakoue/

Could he be available for trade he is still not signed and obviously unhappy at the time. 

Seems cheap enough.Still rather sign a vet OG

13 hours ago, cunninghamtheman said:

Howard and Sanders will dress on gamedays. I keep running through my head how we really only need one more RB to dress on gameday. And that guy has to be a key ST. We have Clement, Smallwood, Pumphrey, Adams and Scott. I’ve never been a believer in Pumphrey. So I’d eliminate him. Clement seems the obvious choice being next in the pecking order at RB. Smallwood brings the all around RB game but seems very limited in potential. Adams seems like the best pure rusher of the group. But I keep thinking that Scott could be that sleeper that steals the job. With Howard and Sanders it’s clear the third back has to be a pass catcher. That rules out Adams. As a pure rusher he has to beat out Howard or Sanders for the running plays. I don’t think that happens. Clement is injured and hasn’t shown too much as a pass catching back. I believe he can do it but this situation puts him in jeopardy. So then much comes down to can Scott beat out Smallwood? Especially in the passing game. And can Scott win the returner job? I believe these two things are possible. Making Scott the third and last RB to dress on gameday.

Risky doing that.I'd rather have 4 dress.besides the available BU,you can also use the other 2 in different play scenarios,aka keep the D off balance.BTW Scott seems to be leading for the 4th RB spot.I need to watch some vid on him since I know little about him

49 minutes ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

Anyone besides me miss Frank Reich?

I wish the guy well! Yes I liked him. Even better then DeFilippo.

3 hours ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

Anyone besides me miss Frank Reich?

Add me to the list. I hope Frank prospers at Indy and I think he will. It'd be cool to see an Eagles' vs Indy or Jax SB.

3 hours ago, EaglesTD123 said:

Add me to the list. I hope Frank prospers at Indy and I think he will. It'd be cool to see an Eagles' vs Indy or Jax SB.

Indy should contend this year.Give Reich another year and you may get your wish

On 6/30/2019 at 12:29 AM, cunninghamtheman said:

Never said anything about him being the first guy to get married. I just except that life brings distractions. And I think getting married is a big one. Having a child another(especially the first). If your spouse or child(any close family member) became ill and/or pass away. If my child was in the hospital I’d be very distracted from work. But hey if you were the most focused ever in your life on work when getting married and on a honeymoon....that’s you. I just don’t think that’s the norm. And especially not for a young fresh couple(not been dating fifteen years first) like Carson and his wife.

Agree 100% ..... just dont think planning a party, which is basically what a wedding is ... for a guy ... don't think it stressed out Wentz.  Money was no object, you have the girl take care of things, yes dear... yes dear .... mom, get me the invite list for my side, take a look at the seating chart and go over it with my fiance.... etc.   Not too hard.  Lookign at honeymoon places isn't stressful either ... alll things positive there .  Its fun.  

Not really the same as having a new born ... or someone dying or sick...etc.  I just won't agree... that he did as much as a normal groom, and without a $$ issue, ... I just dont think he had an issue.  That knee ...that was his 2018 issue.  Missing the work with teammates... that was his issue.

23 hours ago, cunninghamtheman said:

I don’t think Clement caught any passes until he went over 100 yards receiving in the SB. 

Yeah, that was his breakout receiving game for sure .... I thought he caught that awesome pass from Wentz on MNF when he was under a rush (avoiding the distractions of the pass rusher grabbing him ... and the upcoming wedding) ... then spun his body sideways to hit Clement in hte corner of the end zone?   At least I think it was Clement?    It was also Clement in the corner of the endzone who could have either went into the deep corner or attempted to maybe throw a block ... vs the Rams as Wentz ran into the end zone and was hit and injured.  

14 hours ago, cunninghamtheman said:

I’m curious how agents, players and owners feel about salaries for the 2021 season. I would think it to be a good time to line up big cap hits considering it’s a possible uncapped season situation. And players don’t care about how the cap hits are aligned. But players have to be wary of huge salaries paying off in 2021. If you sign a 100 mil contract that has a modest signing bonus and heavily weighted with 2021 base or roster bonus then your agent sucks. Because if the players holdout they don’t get paid. If the owners lockout they pay even without games. 

30% rule Ham....  remember that ... contracts can't jump that high in 2021 from 2020.

10 minutes ago, joemas6 said:

then spun his body sideways to hit Clement in hte corner of the end zone?   At least I think it was Clement? 

The Eagles ran the play out of 12 personnel. Brent Celek ran a pivot route. Zach Ertz ran a dig behind him. And Clement released into the flat.

"If you’re that tight to the goal line, if you get pressure, a lot of times, the back’s unaccounted for,” Flinn said. "You can throw it out there for a cheap touchdown.”

Of course, on this specific play, the Eagles’ score had very little to do with play design. Wentz was pressured, and Clement followed his scramble drill rules, abandoning his route and heading upfield.

"In our room, we talk about what kills scrambles: loafs kill scrambles,” Flinn said. "When you stop running, a scramble’s dead.”

In the face of pressure, Wentz made an unbelievable throw. And Clement, who was the third and last read on the play, made a great catch.

Edited by EaglesTD123
restructure vid post

Today was 76ers free agency.   Focus was there for me.  Good job IMO.   

Eagles cap space ... they will carry forward a lot into next year... Wentz extension actually lowered the cap hits the next 2 seasons... slightly this year, a few mil next year.  But locking him in, takes a lot of the uncertainty away, they can plan better now, knowing the #s.  

Like DWD said, they can open up more space if needed.  Not worried.    Time to win with what we got.  

Still want the Kelly Green and silver unis back(maybe a little midnight green trim lol)

22 hours ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

Seems cheap enough.Still rather sign a vet OG

Who seems cheap enough? Yannick Ngakoue would want a new contract if we traded for him. He has had 29.5 sacks 29 TFL 70 QB hits 10 FF 2 FR 1 Int in his first 3 years. He won't be cheap at all he is arguably one of of the best young DE in the game if not the best.

The Jaguars have a lot of players that they need resigned including Jalen Ramsey, Myles Jack, Yannick Ngakoue and Marcell Darius. Plus they just drafted Josh Allen who could come in and fill his hole immediately.