DaveSpadaro

[News] Early Thinking On Some Roster Battles To Watch

Recommended Posts

Carson is young. I don’t believe he deserves a injured all the time label. I believe No Mas has stated in many different ways but it basically has just been he got his knee tore up when two guys crashed on both sides of him at the goaline scoring a TD. Happened pretty late in the season so the next season it’s tough to expect him back at full strength. So it feels like the injury last season was a result of the knee still. Perhaps compensation issues. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, mjkline1958 said:

Stafford mismanaged, miscoached. Cam, missing brain cells, basket case.

Stafford has overachieved some. Cam has been miscoached in many ways. Probably got him the right guy now. Cam has been overused in a bulldozing RB type way. He’s good at it but you have to think of the long haul. Winston is the missing brain cells basket case QB. Coach killer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Believe Carson said he was injured before that play. Fact is we've all seen it - going against 3 defenders on his own. Gotta learn to fight another play. Hey - he wants win, who doesn't? Winning is being available, usually not just 1 play.

I just don't like Cam, period.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, cunninghamtheman said:

The Philadelphia Eagles may have landed one of the steals of undrafted free agency in the form of former Wisconsin linebacker T.J. Edwards. The 6'1", 242-pounder possesses a physical mindset that should mesh perfectly with the Eagles defense.

"Stout four-year starter who shows up and does his job each week as a banger in the box with surprising ball skills to flip the field," NFL.com's Lance Zierlein wrote of Edwards.

Edwards' high motor regularly got him involved for the Badgers. In 2018, he racked up 112 tackles, including 11.5 tackles for loss and three sacks. While he isn't likely to produce those kinds of numbers as a rookie, he should slot in as a backup inside linebacker who can start in a pinch.

  —— Bleacher report on best undrafted rookie 

I'm pulling' for him. Would really like to see him make the roster. Don't know how much Gerry shone in OTA's. If not much then Edwards would be an improvement. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, downwithdallas said:

We couldn't swap Graham this year next year is the year he could be traded. If we brought in Ngakoue I doubt he would be a backup 29.5 sacks in 3 years is not 3rd DE numbers. They make Graham's numbers look bad. Graham averages under 4.5 sacks a year and was a backup most his career. His last 3 years he has had 19 sacks and 47 QB hits 5 FF 38 TFL. Compared to Ngakoue 29.5 sacks 70 QB hits 10 FF and 29 TFL. He has also started every game except his 1st game as a rookie. Graham has only started 16 games twice in his career.

Then Barnett goes to #3.  I'm not debating anything with this guy from Jax...  it could be JJ Watt from 5 years ago .. they aren't trading Graham.  They could put any of the 3 on the bench and rotate... they will do that before trading Graham.  Barring injury of course.  There is the signing bonus that would count 4/5ths next year if we trade Graham.  It's not as simple as it sounds.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, downwithdallas said:

And Wentz without his team around him is nothing as well. Plus Dak has proven to be healthy and Wentz hasn't. I take a QB on the field before one on the sidelines almost every time. 

Yes... the health thing etc...lol.  

Put 2 guys on the field, to me one guy is clearly the better QB and not close.  A guy plays... if he gets hurt the other guy is better.  Stafford is another guy I would never take over Wentz.  

You either get 100% of the player or it doesn't count.  IMO.  Predicting injury doesn't say anything about skills.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, downwithdallas said:

And Wentz without his team around him is nothing as well. Plus Dak has proven to be healthy and Wentz hasn't. I take a QB on the field before one on the sidelines almost every time. 

Yeah rankings stink(as we all know by now).Let's see Wentz put in a full season.With his available weapons and healthy,he moves up that list.Ben-No Bell as an outlet(love Conner but he;s not Bell) lost his go to WR,I just can't see him outgunning Wentz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

DWD I can see you making a case for Cam. He has been MVP I believe. Had some huge moments of carrying his team. Stafford has put up some huge numbers on the way to nowhere. But you can make some argument for him at least. You are pretty much the only one(Skip Bayless aside) that would mention Dak in the top 15. He hasn’t been injured. I’ll give you that. But look at his stats on third downs and key situations....terrible. If you need him to make a play...expect struggles. You need your eyes checked. Carson is a heck of a player. Your judgement is under question now after that comment. 

In games that end with a less then a TD margin Carson is 

 

2 hours ago, joemas6 said:

Yes... the health thing etc...lol.  

Put 2 guys on the field, to me one guy is clearly the better QB and not close.  A guy plays... if he gets hurt the other guy is better.  Stafford is another guy I would never take over Wentz.  

You either get 100% of the player or it doesn't count.  IMO.  Predicting injury doesn't say anything about skills.

We weren't grading on skill alone if we were Brady probably wouldn't be in the top 10. There is way more to the game than just skill. One of them like it or not is health. You can't win the superbowl if you're on the bench of course you still get a ring but you don't get credit for it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So, was watchin' vid of a cowb!tch fan 'try' (lol) to make a case for Dak over Wentz by showing emerald dime passes by Prescott and INT's by Wentz. LMAO! Oh yeah, forgot. Dak's on top 'cause he's 3-1 vs Carson. LOL, also uses each QB vs N.O. as a measuring stick. :rolleyes:

Check out stats below. Stats aren't everything, but IMO Wentz is clearly superior. 

image.png.f5a1f2bb02f0d2b1b5c832d5ae6db1c9.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

Carson Wentz is a big, strong QB who can make all the throws, but who, at times, can become a bit too much of a risk taker. He has excellent chemistry with his big bodied tight ends, and Alshon Jeffery. When it comes to the best QB in the division, as of right now, in my opinion, it’s Carson Wentz.

https://www.hogshaven.com/2019/6/9/18648276/ranking-the-nfc-east-2019-quarterbacks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, downwithdallas said:

In games that end with a less then a TD margin Carson is 

 

We weren't grading on skill alone if we were Brady probably wouldn't be in the top 10. There is way more to the game than just skill. One of them like it or not is health. You can't win the superbowl if you're on the bench of course you still get a ring but you don't get credit for it.

So what else you got to say bad about Wentz other than health?  And I agree it's more than skills.  So let's say..brains... you see Stafford or Dak as smarter than Wentz?  Reading the defense, changing plays...etc.  you see those guys doing it more than Wentz?  Are either more accurate passers?   Since it's not all about skills... those two must have more intangibles that you would prefer to have either of them over Wentz.  

And I agree about the game winning TD drive.  The one score thing, I can't penalize Wentz for his team adding on another score at the end?   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Foles mist...  wonder how long the effects last?  Will be an interesting thing to monitor.  

Fanbase starved for a title... a true franchise QB without any serious flaw to their game, a smart QB with the freakish work ethic. 

Guy in year 2 is MVP of the league... at age 24.  Has players wanting to come play with him here... gets hurt. Back up plays 3 out of 12 games well... and bad enough to where they need to bring the kid back in 9 months after serious knee injury... make him throw 54 passes his first game back... 

Back up can't score 20 points in 4 of the 7 games, makes the absolute brutal pass on a play that would have put his team ahead by 3 scores. 

Yet ... still... the anger toward the young stud, and the backup can do no wrong.  The backup has higher salary cap hits the next 3 years... yet still people complain. 

It's an interesting situation.   Jax will win 7 games, Eagles could lose 50 to 49 in a playoff game and I will wager that people will say we should have kept the other QB.

It's all perceptions.  For me, I hate the RPOs.... my perception is that they use them because they don't trust the QB to think and adjust, so they need to make one read and then proceed with the play.   It's the reason why I think Foles is limited.  A stat about how poorly he plays when his first read doesn't get open.  It was pretty bad.  It's why I say he won't lose the game if his teammates are good enough to win it.  The SB and Houston...great games,  both defenses were not very good with matchups at the time.   The Saints game IMO was pretty bad.  The excuses will be there about Brooks etc... that wouldn't be used for the lesser paid Wentz. A brutally thrown ball got spun into a great and smart play by the DB to make Ertz appear open by 5 yards??? You can't make this stuff up.

I'm grateful for the timing of the great games by the backup.  The 3 games were timed perfectly.   But I'm more grateful for the opportunity to have a true franchise guy at age 26 leading the franchise.  A year from now, it will be curious to see how perceptions change.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"Humanity has won its battle. Liberty now has a country". - Marquis De Lafayette

 Have a nice holiday fans no matter how you choose to spend it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not that it will have any effect,but the NFL,as are others, are in violation of the flag code,when flags are displayed FLAT on fields.Just an FYI.Sad the NFL can't even get this right

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Treyvon Hester ranked as the 63rd rated interior Dlineman in 2017, his rookie year, out of 131. Not too bad. Top half of the league. He made a massive jump last season to being graded the thirteenth best interior lineman. Not exactly sure why many didn’t take notice?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, joemas6 said:

Foles mist...  wonder how long the effects last?  Will be an interesting thing to monitor.  

Fanbase starved for a title... a true franchise QB without any serious flaw to their game, a smart QB with the freakish work ethic. 

Guy in year 2 is MVP of the league... at age 24.  Has players wanting to come play with him here... gets hurt. Back up plays 3 out of 12 games well... and bad enough to where they need to bring the kid back in 9 months after serious knee injury... make him throw 54 passes his first game back... 

Back up can't score 20 points in 4 of the 7 games, makes the absolute brutal pass on a play that would have put his team ahead by 3 scores. 

Yet ... still... the anger toward the young stud, and the backup can do no wrong.  The backup has higher salary cap hits the next 3 years... yet still people complain. 

It's an interesting situation.   Jax will win 7 games, Eagles could lose 50 to 49 in a playoff game and I will wager that people will say we should have kept the other QB.

It's all perceptions.  For me, I hate the RPOs.... my perception is that they use them because they don't trust the QB to think and adjust, so they need to make one read and then proceed with the play.   It's the reason why I think Foles is limited.  A stat about how poorly he plays when his first read doesn't get open.  It was pretty bad.  It's why I say he won't lose the game if his teammates are good enough to win it.  The SB and Houston...great games,  both defenses were not very good with matchups at the time.   The Saints game IMO was pretty bad.  The excuses will be there about Brooks etc... that wouldn't be used for the lesser paid Wentz. A brutally thrown ball got spun into a great and smart play by the DB to make Ertz appear open by 5 yards??? You can't make this stuff up.

I'm grateful for the timing of the great games by the backup.  The 3 games were timed perfectly.   But I'm more grateful for the opportunity to have a true franchise guy at age 26 leading the franchise.  A year from now, it will be curious to see how perceptions change.

I think the world of Carson, have nothing but praise for him and you summed it up nicely here. I don't see many players as 'injury prone' the way others do. It's a brutal game and this is the territory that comes with it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

Not that it will have any effect,but the NFL,as are others, are in violation of the flag code,when flags are displayed FLAT on fields.Just an FYI.Sad the NFL can't even get this right

That's right!

  • The flag should never touch anything beneath it, such as the ground, the floor, water, or merchandise.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Carson Wentz- 40 games( first 3 years)

Andrew Luck- 38 games(last 4 years)

Aaron Rodgers-39 games ( last 3 years)

DeShaun Watson- 23 games( 2 years) even if he starts all 16 next year will only be at best 39 games

Over Wentz first 3 years he has been available for more games then 3 guys listed above him....So if he is getting knocked why aren’t they as well???? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BleedingGreen93 said:

Carson Wentz- 40 games( first 3 years)

Andrew Luck- 38 games(last 4 years)

Aaron Rodgers-39 games ( last 3 years)

DeShaun Watson- 23 games( 2 years) even if he starts all 16 next year will only be at best 39 games

Over Wentz first 3 years he has been available for more games then 3 guys listed above him....So if he is getting knocked why aren’t they as well???? 

That's some just proof to argue the case for Carson. Some peeps might not believe in him due to being from a small school. If so????  I hope Wentz shuts all of the nay sayers up this season!!! Like I said earlier. I believe many injuries are 'fluke' / part of the game. The hits these guys take aren't your sand lot hits LOL

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, EaglesTD123 said:

I think the world of Carson, have nothing but praise for him and you summed it up nicely here. I don't see many players as 'injury prone' the way others do. It's a brutal game and this is the territory that comes with it. 

I was thrilled when Philly moved up to draft Wentz and I still am. IMO we haven't had a QB of his caliber since I started following the team in '79. The closest we had was Jaws & Ramblin' Randall. I've been itching for a franchise QB for a long time. I thought that McNabb would've turned out to fill this need, but it didn't happen that way.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, EaglesTD123 said:

I was thrilled when Philly moved up to draft Wentz and I still am. IMO we haven't had a QB of his caliber since I started following the team in '79. The closest we had was Jaws & Ramblin' Randall. I've been itching for a franchise QB for a long time. I thought that McNabb would've turned out to fill this need, but it didn't happen that way.  

It's about the same time I remember starting to watch.... over the years seeing all these hall of fame QBs play for other teams.  Smart guys. Changing plays... accurate passers, obsessive work ethics, etc.  Finally getting a guy like that is great!   Never had this here since that time,  not sure about any QB prior to Jaws... but don't understand why any true Eagles fan wouldn't be feeling that... "F-#$ing Finally " feeling now that we have Wentz???    Only should get better with more experience too. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, joemas6 said:

It's about the same time I remember starting to watch.... over the years seeing all these hall of fame QBs play for other teams.  Smart guys. Changing plays... accurate passers, obsessive work ethics, etc.  Finally getting a guy like that is great!   Never had this here since that time,  not sure about any QB prior to Jaws... but don't understand why any true Eagles fan wouldn't be feeling that... "F-#$ing Finally " feeling now that we have Wentz???    Only should get better with more experience too. 

I've got a burning passion for the Eagles. Always did, always will. We're living in a blessed time here while the Birds are finally experiencing prosperity. I'm not one to knock this franchise w/o just cause or……LOL, getting to a point of being fed up and discouraged. I'm so grateful that I don't have to listen to so many people cut our team apart and then make a case for why I support them. It would PO me so much that I'd wanna jump down their throat lmao. I feel the long time anguish of Brown's fans and I hope that they're soon able to get the monkey off of their backs.  First for the fans and secondarily because I'm sick of watching Cleveland tank 200 ft. to the bottom of Lake Erie lol.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now