DaveSpadaro

[News] Early Thinking On Some Roster Battles To Watch

I'm not gonna quote everyone giving me grief about ranking Wentz 13th all I'm going to say is if I can't count on you not being injured come playoff time their are better QBs imo. I have the same concerns for Rodgers but I think he is a better QB, Luck has had 1 injury that he missed significant time and Watson I like more as an all around play maker but definitely have injury concerns going forward. 

9 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

McNabb averaged 3.7 runs per game. Wentz has averaged 3.6 runs per game

Again if your just looking at career they look similar...If your looking at both players first 3 years a bit different story....

Hell McNabb from 99-03 had over half his carries 349(70 games) about 5 rushes a game....

04-11 McNabb had 267 attempts(97 games) just under 3 rushes a game 

1 hour ago, cunninghamtheman said:

McNabb averaged 3.7 runs per game. Wentz has averaged 3.6 runs per game

Yards per game he(Wentz) needs to pick it up for you to prove me wrong/IDC about yards per carry.he has a long career ahead,I suppose it's possible to catch McNabb

Intresting to me though,the top 2 rushing QB's were both Eagles according to that site HAHA

1 hour ago, downwithdallas said:

I'm not gonna quote everyone giving me grief about ranking Wentz 13th all I'm going to say is if I can't count on you not being injured come playoff time their are better QBs imo. I have the same concerns for Rodgers but I think he is a better QB, Luck has had 1 injury that he missed significant time and Watson I like more as an all around play maker but definitely have injury concerns going forward. 

13th seems a bit low to me

2 hours ago, cunninghamtheman said:

I wouldn’t say this is accurate at all. Seems like Carson likes to run the ball just as much as McNasty did.

Likes to or HAS to?

2 hours ago, BleedingGreen93 said:

Always possible not like we haven’t carried 5 RBs before....My guess is the best STer makes the bottom of the roster....So for Adams/Smalls to make the team they will have to excel on STs same goes for the WRs guys like Michel,Ward, Gibson etc.

The RBs and WRs I see making the team are

RBs-Jordan,Miles,Clement,Scott

WRs-Alshon, Djax, AG(unless traded), JJaw, Hollins 

What do you think the chances are of WR Thompkins making it based on his return skills? I'm thinking slim. 

12 minutes ago, EaglesTD123 said:

What do you think the chances are of WR Thompkins making it based on his return skills? I'm thinking slim. 

I believe STs will define the bottom of the roster so for any fridge player to make the team they are going to have to excel on STs....If a guy brings good value on STs he has a decent shot to make the bottom of the roster in my view 

3 hours ago, BleedingGreen93 said:

Again if your just looking at career they look similar...If your looking at both players first 3 years a bit different story....

Hell McNabb from 99-03 had over half his carries 349(70 games) about 5 rushes a game....

04-11 McNabb had 267 attempts(97 games) just under 3 rushes a game 

But your stats feel pretty heavily weighted with Wentz coming off major knee injury being a third of the sample size. Clearly he didn’t take off and run as much immediately after that.

1 hour ago, BleedingGreen93 said:

I believe STs will define the bottom of the roster so for any fridge player to make the team they are going to have to excel on STs....If a guy brings good value on STs he has a decent shot to make the bottom of the roster in my view 

One guy is your boy Miller. He is a bottom of the roster guy. But I doubt he dresses on gameday. Then it seems we always have one or two Olineman at the bottom of the roster. Only need to dress so many of them on gameday. The Mailata and Pryor of last season. Could be Pryor and Opeta this year. Thinking Mailata maybe officially moves into the backup RT spot. We seem to keep a DE every year too. I’m figuring Miller to be that guy this year. That leaves a massive camp battle at the position for one spot. That fourth DE. Sweat, Hall and Ostman scrapping. All three are rumored to be improved this season over last. Going to be hard to let one of these guys go.

But I’d agree with that last S, LB gotta be ST. Who wins the returner job will depend on that position group. Could be a RB, WR or DB at this point.

38 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

But your stats feel pretty heavily weighted with Wentz coming off major knee injury being a third of the sample size. Clearly he didn’t take off and run as much immediately after that.

Could slightly factor in but that is only 1 year on Wentz we can also do just the 1st two seasons for both QBs makes you feel better

Wentz 29 games 110 attempts(55 per season, 3.7 per game)

Mcnabb 28 games( 22 starts) (66.5 attempts per season, 4.75 per game) 

if you want to count just the games McNabb started in the first two years over 6 carries a game.

28 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

One guy is your boy Miller. He is a bottom of the roster guy. But I doubt he dresses on gameday. Then it seems we always have one or two Olineman at the bottom of the roster. Only need to dress so many of them on gameday. The Mailata and Pryor of last season. Could be Pryor and Opeta this year. Thinking Mailata maybe officially moves into the backup RT spot. We seem to keep a DE every year too. I’m figuring Miller to be that guy this year. That leaves a massive camp battle at the position for one spot. That fourth DE. Sweat, Hall and Ostman scrapping. All three are rumored to be improved this season over last. Going to be hard to let one of these guys go.

But I’d agree with that last S, LB gotta be ST. Who wins the returner job will depend on that position group. Could be a RB, WR or DB at this point.

We generally always go heavy on the lines I understand the DL essential for Schwartz and we love to rotate...Never understood why we carried 10-11 OL though I think 9 is plenty usually only dress 8 

Miller to me is in the competition for that 4th DE spot though I do believe it is Sweat job to lose....Miller is either the 5th DE to stash and develop or if(and I’ll say BIG IF) Ostman/Hall could show enough possible that Miller got hit with the phantom injury and placed on IR....

Seems likeOstman has that Vince Papale type quality. He has earned the respect of all his teammates. Earned it the hard way spending a year on the practice squad. Kind of get that feeling that the team is rooting for him to make the 53.

IDK,think our weakest link depth wise is at OG.I will assume the FO knows what they are doing lol

2 minutes ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

IDK,think our weakest link depth wise is at OG.I will assume the FO knows what they are doing lol

To me, apparently if there aren't any moves then they feel comfy of Brooks being ready by wk. 1 or shortly thereafter. Depth wise they feel secure with Vaitai, Wis (RG), and 'possibly' Pryor/Opeta in BU role. 

1 hour ago, EaglesTD123 said:

To me, apparently if there aren't any moves then they feel comfy of Brooks being ready by wk. 1 or shortly thereafter. Depth wise they feel secure with Vaitai, Wis (RG), and 'possibly' Pryor/Opeta in BU role. 

Not happy with this,I think you will see problems if one gets hurt

2 hours ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

Not happy with this,I think you will see problems if one gets hurt

LOL, I think I'll trust the coaching staff. I've come to have a greater amount of confidence in their judgement. 

19 hours ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

Like I knew that beforehand????

Well you do now.

5 hours ago, EaglesTD123 said:

LOL, I think I'll trust the coaching staff. I've come to have a greater amount of confidence in their judgement. 

Yeah I said that in the previous post

10 hours ago, EaglesTD123 said:

Brooks looks on track with his recovery. I’m not saying week one guaranteed...but on track. We have Wis. He’s a decent option. An experienced starting vet. V is learning the ropes. We’ll see how far he can come. Got the first team reps in OTAs. I feel like he could also be a decent option at least(after some time learning the position). That gives Seumalo and Brooks as the starters with two vet backups. Then we have three young guys. I’d really like to see them get some opportunities. I’m really hopeful we find a diamond in the rough here. Kinda find that next Kelce(but at G).

If Kelce went down AND Brooks doesn’t recover properly...then we get tested. Then I feel pressured to make a trade....IF none of these young guys can show they can play.

Opeta, Herbig and Pryor. We have a quality coach. Gotta think one of these can get whipped into shape. I feel more confident in these Gs than I do the long shot Cs. Fabiano and the others. I just don’t know about them. Sure would solve many things to find a unheralded player at that position also. Almost feel like by sure numbers(if nothing else) we should find a good lineman or two.