DaveSpadaro

[News] Early Thinking On Some Roster Battles To Watch

Recommended Posts

My boy Rasul massively underrated in Madden as well at a 72....I truly believe he is the best CB on our team....He has had his ups and downs so far in his career as to be expected from a young player but he has such a knack for coming up with the ball soemthing we have lacked from our CBS for so long 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am going to be pretty hurt if we opt to trade Rasul....Still feel like we end up moving a CB before the season starts....Just to many guys that could be possible starters...Still feel like Mills should be the odd man out and this is coming from a person that has been a huge supporter of Mills from day 1.....Final year of deal, honestly think we have at least 3 guys better then him(Maddox,Darby,Rasul) possibly 4 in Leblanc(if we are talking purely slot CB)....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, joemas6 said:

I love missing time on these discussions and then coming in to see thos kind of stuff....  GBFL is my favorite by far!      Talk about getting games played outside the US, and then automatically jumping ahead 20 steps in putting a franchise there.   LOL  It's two different discussions.   Same with Canada an Mexico.   

Minor league idea is great ... except as we discussed so many times, there is a reason why these leagues fold unlike baseball.   Too many logistics to get a minor league team for 32 different franchises and then also run that league with all the travel, pay, roster size, scheduling ...etc.  On numbers alone... if you got 40 players for each team, thats 40x32 = 1280 players .... minor league players to boot.  I don't see that happening with all due respect ... because the idea of a minor league in any sport is obviously a good one.  Just think there is a reason we don't see it in football.  Other leagues ... sure ... CFL, Arena ... but not minor leagues.  They would have figured it out by now.  

 

If it's 2 different discussions why are they investing in Tottenham stadium? Sounds like a set up/springboard to a franchise there in the future

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, joemas6 said:

My two cents on the 18 games.   16 games is enough.  fits perfectly with how they pick the opponents.     2 games without top players is a dumb idea.... like really dumb.    You would need to expand the rosters ... and I think as preseason and "minor league"  lack of interest in seeing guys who are not the best at what they do .... I don't think it goes over well.  

Weeks 16 and 17 can already be brutal if teams have clinched or been eliminated ... to expand that further with the possibility of more meaningless games... who needs that?   What if the backup QB gets injured in one of his two starts????  Do you have to go with #3 now for a game via a rule?   That's dumb.   Do we need regular season games in August?    Do we need regular season games in mid January????    Football is a fall sport, the more you vary it away from September to December the more of that you take away.    I would go 14 games before I would go to 18.   Sure its about $$$$$ ... you guys make enough.    Ham is right, Thursday waters it down enough.   A few more international games (even though I'm not a fan of that either)... but that makes more sense than any of these other changes if you desperately need to make a few more bucks.   

The beauty of football... start in mid September ... finish the first weekend in Feb.     Hockey starts 3 weeks later and finished on June 12.    NBA started a month later and finished on June 13th.     Football less than 5 months .... the other two take up 8 months.   Not only does the shorter season make it better during the season... but it makes the offseason better... with free agency, combine, draft, OTAs, minicamps ...etc.   The stages all get their own attention... its a fun buildup.   I know its only two weeks ... but its either the end of the summer or going a couple weeks further in Feb ... makes no sense to me either way.  

 

Welp as I said,if they did minor league,they should be in outskirt towns.I am from Akron,Ohio and they have the Rubber Ducks minor league baseball team.I'm sure this wouldn't fly in Cleveland,but it gives others opportunity to enjoy the sport in their home community.NFL can do the same

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lol, shows how bored I am, didn't realize he was cut thought he was still PUP. Nevermind

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

If it's 2 different discussions why are they investing in Tottenham stadium? Sounds like a set up/springboard to a franchise there in the future

1.  Because I do belive they will play more games there going forward.  Best to market the sport by getting exposure to as many teams and top players as possible.   As stated many times before... we could be looking at each team playing a game there every season or every other season.  Every other season would be 8 games there per year.   I can easily see that as worth it with investing in the stadium.  I'm sure they will get other benefits from it ... either income, tax write offs or something.  

2.  But lets take 20 steps forward and look at your concern.    The NFL sets up just 1 franchise in London.   A 33rd franchise ... how does that make sense?    Which division do they play in?   How does 8 divisions with 7 of them having 4 teams and one having 5 teams work?  That team needs to travel to the US for 8 half the games.    The players need to move across the world for their careers?  

Now lets take 19 steps back to reality.   If the intention is to have football overseas.  You need a whole division of teams there.  One stadium isn't going to be enough for that.   But... if they increase the games there to about 8, where teams go there every other year... well worth the investment.   Think about it... its the same 8 homes games that each team has in their stadium per regular season.  Well worth the money.  It will help create interest... the more foreign players they can possibly get for the future will even multiply the interest.    

How many European Soccer league teams have a franchise in the US?   They still play games here though, there is interest here in those leagues that has been built up over time.   The NBA has internatonal interest.   It's easy to see the motivation for the NFL without actually needing to put a franchise overseas.     

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

Welp as I said,if they did minor league,they should be in outskirt towns.I am from Akron,Ohio and they have the Rubber Ducks minor league baseball team.I'm sure this wouldn't fly in Cleveland,but it gives others opportunity to enjoy the sport in their home community.NFL can do the same

Again... I think a great idea for the sport ... and again... you need 32 franchises to have a fair minor league system where each franchise gets their minor league affiliate.    32 outskirt towns .... logistics , salaries, travel, and roster size.  1280 football players who weren't good enough to make an NFL roster or the practice squad ... plus the additional players that are on a PUP list or IR.   32 x 65 would be 2080 players in the NFL ... so now you need the 1280 next best players to form a successful minor league that will draw enough interest to stay afloat financially.  I think tough to do in addition to the top college players playing in the NCAA.   

If you do it during the offseason ... then the talent pool will be diluted even more because current draft picks and UDFAs that need to go to OTAs, minicamps with their NFL teams won't want to play and take a chance to get hurt.    If you do it during the NFL/ NCAA season... tough to draw interest with so much football currently going on.  

AGAIN... I think great idea for the sport, but a reason it has never worked out.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I could see a Jax  relocating to London. The owner would make out massively. Could you imagine being the owner of the Jacksonville team and that becoming the massive market of London? Windfall. And it would be an attractive location for some free agents. Buffalo has flirted with having games played in Toronto. Not unthinkable. Possibly a split location situation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

I could see a Jax  relocating to London. The owner would make out massively. Could you imagine being the owner of the Jacksonville team and that becoming the massive market of London? Windfall. And it would be an attractive location for some free agents. Buffalo has flirted with having games played in Toronto. Not unthinkable. Possibly a split location situation.

You would sign as a free agent to play in London?    I don't see it.   Playing a game or two there maybe... not seeign a franchise based 100% in London where that's where the players have to live.    Very easy to see playing some games there creating interest for the league though.   Two very different things.    

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, BleedingGreen93 said:

My boy Rasul massively underrated in Madden as well at a 72....I truly believe he is the best CB on our team....He has had his ups and downs so far in his career as to be expected from a young player but he has such a knack for coming up with the ball soemthing we have lacked from our CBS for so long 

You're not the only one rooting for him to be a starter lol 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

The main issue of London would be for the West Coast. LA to London is a tough trip. NY, Boston, DC...not so bad.

Take the 8 most eastern cities that have NFL teams and make a team from London have to travel to those cities for 8 games.   still a pain in the butt.  7:55 minute long flight from London to JFK.  From London to Tampa ... 9:25   London to Boston  7:30 long.   London to Washington DC... 8:10 long.   London to Philly is 8:05 long.    London to Miami 9:25 long.   London to Atlanta  9:25 long.   London to Charlotte 9:05 long. 

That should give you an idea of how much a pain in the butt that is to have a team travel from London to the US for 8 games.   When do you choose to fly in.   Time difference.   Jet lag.   Then you either stay on the road for a week..... (remember how you thought it was a brutal idea for the Eagles to stay in LA after the Seattle game... sleep in your own bed etc.)   or you need to fly back on another long flight... say you save an hour flying back.   Stil 6:30 from Boston and longer everywhere else.  

I mean... that's a SB champ waiting to happen when they need to travel that much??????   I'm sure many of the athletes would love to live that far from home with that travel schedule during the season.   Hey... but the flight to the west coast twice would really be the issue?   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, joemas6 said:

1.  Because I do belive they will play more games there going forward.  Best to market the sport by getting exposure to as many teams and top players as possible.   As stated many times before... we could be looking at each team playing a game there every season or every other season.  Every other season would be 8 games there per year.   I can easily see that as worth it with investing in the stadium.  I'm sure they will get other benefits from it ... either income, tax write offs or something.  

2.  But lets take 20 steps forward and look at your concern.    The NFL sets up just 1 franchise in London.   A 33rd franchise ... how does that make sense?    Which division do they play in?   How does 8 divisions with 7 of them having 4 teams and one having 5 teams work?  That team needs to travel to the US for 8 half the games.    The players need to move across the world for their careers?  

Now lets take 19 steps back to reality.   If the intention is to have football overseas.  You need a whole division of teams there.  One stadium isn't going to be enough for that.   But... if they increase the games there to about 8, where teams go there every other year... well worth the investment.   Think about it... its the same 8 homes games that each team has in their stadium per regular season.  Well worth the money.  It will help create interest... the more foreign players they can possibly get for the future will even multiply the interest.    

How many European Soccer league teams have a franchise in the US?   They still play games here though, there is interest here in those leagues that has been built up over time.   The NBA has internatonal interest.   It's easy to see the motivation for the NFL without actually needing to put a franchise overseas.     

 

Makes sense if one team moves there from the US does it not????(still 32 teams)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

Makes sense if one team moves there from the US does it not????(still 32 teams)

Nope.. for reasons I stated above.... minimum flight time is to Boston ...7:30.   I don't see 8 flights a year per team with that ... I don't see a team staying away multiple times a year to save a trip back ... and I don't see free agents looking to live overseas and have that travel schedule.    What could make sense is playing a game or two there.    So to me ... it does NOT make sense.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can foresee maybe an International Division of the NFL down the road but not anytime soon.  It would need more of a local support mechanism than is presently the case..  Soccer is the European football mainstay.  IMO, to be successful, interest would have to be drummed up to create local markets for football players (American Style) to be honed for the game throughout Europe.  I don't believe you can just transfer a franchise from here to there and be that successful. Look how long it took soccer to grab hold here.  It didn't occur overnight.  Greater fan interest in the European market also needs to be honed in.   This is all predicated on joemas' contention about the long travel times and about players from the US living in London where living is very expensive.  To me,  it just won't work on a regular basis with those times involved.  Right now it's still a novelty but it's 2 US teams competing on foreign soil. You need a support mechanism on the local level, a la soccer, for the NFL to be a true success in Europe.  In the meantime, the NFL might look to schedule other games in other cities in Europe to help drum up the necessary local support.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, mjkline1958 said:

Stine - is that 74 mill after Lawrence? They're actually in better shape than I'd hoped they were.

Pain meds are wonderful right now, will be sick of them in a few days - don't like them. They never recommend a few too many Beefeater martinis! Alcohol inhibits healing, bummer.

  Yes that includes Lawrence, but there must be others I missed that need new contracts also. They may make out fine, but I can imagine there might be trouble signing any free agents next season, if needed...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, joemas6 said:

You would sign as a free agent to play in London?    I don't see it.   Playing a game or two there maybe... not seeign a franchise based 100% in London where that's where the players have to live.    Very easy to see playing some games there creating interest for the league though.   Two very different things.    

Considering the tax rates in England you'd have a hard time getting talented FAs to go there unless the NFL agreed to a tax offset which the union would never agree to.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, mjkline1958 said:

I'd like to see them overpay Dak, lose Amari

They gave up a first round pick for Cooper. I doubt they allow him to leave. on the Bright side, he will probably get 15 mil per year. that with Dak's possible 25-30 mil per year would tie up allot of capital. I do not think they have a guru like the Eagles do at working the cap either. I could be wrong though....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, stine said:

They gave up a first round pick for Cooper. I doubt they allow him to leave. on the Bright side, he will probably get 15 mil per year. that with Dak's possible 25-30 mil per year would tie up allot of capital. I do not think they have a guru like the Eagles do at working the cap either. I could be wrong though....

Don't forget about Zeke

Someone posted the other day he's gonna hold out unless he gets a new contract.

Does Dallas have a Bell on their hands?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, EaglesNJ69 said:

I can foresee maybe an International Division of the NFL down the road but not anytime soon.  It would need more of a local support mechanism than is presently the case..  Soccer is the European football mainstay.  IMO, to be successful, interest would have to be drummed up to create local markets for football players (American Style) to be honed for the game throughout Europe.  I don't believe you can just transfer a franchise from here to there and be that successful. Look how long it took soccer to grab hold here.  It didn't occur overnight.  Greater fan interest in the European market also needs to be honed in.   This is all predicated on joemas' contention about the long travel times and about players from the US living in London where living is very expensive.  To me,  it just won't work on a regular basis with those times involved.  Right now it's still a novelty but it's 2 US teams competing on foreign soil. You need a support mechanism on the local level, a la soccer, for the NFL to be a true success in Europe.  In the meantime, the NFL might look to schedule other games in other cities in Europe to help drum up the necessary local support.

Well they play now at Wembley,but invested in Tottenham

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, stine said:

They gave up a first round pick for Cooper. I doubt they allow him to leave. on the Bright side, he will probably get 15 mil per year. that with Dak's possible 25-30 mil per year would tie up allot of capital. I do not think they have a guru like the Eagles do at working the cap either. I could be wrong though....

Great spot for us cause they have to pay Dak besides those 2 lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ASG15 said:

Don't forget about Zeke

Someone posted the other day he's gonna hold out unless he gets a new contract.

Does Dallas have a Bell on their hands?

Gotta pay Zeke,Dak and Coop.That leaves little to sign players needed at other positions.Get out that checkbook Jerry!!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, joemas6 said:

Nope.. for reasons I stated above.... minimum flight time is to Boston ...7:30.   I don't see 8 flights a year per team with that ... I don't see a team staying away multiple times a year to save a trip back ... and I don't see free agents looking to live overseas and have that travel schedule.    What could make sense is playing a game or two there.    So to me ... it does NOT make sense.   

Hmmm if there is a bigger market in London than Jax,as a businessman that has to be a consideration.Most FL peeps are Bucs or Fins fans.Much smaller contigent in Jax since thats the only major city around them.maybe add in St.Augutine but thats not very big.Fins have Miami,Lauderdale,Naples and other populous cities.Bucs have Tampa,St.Pete,Clearwater,Sarasota.We shall see what's in store 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now