DaveSpadaro

[News] Early Thinking On Some Roster Battles To Watch

12 hours ago, ASG15 said:

Guam?

Have you ever been to Guam? If you build a stadium there the island will tip over.

LMAO! Good one 

5 hours ago, ASG15 said:

I like it if for nothing else it gives a steady presence  in the RB room

Fridge guys???

And two dynamic PR's 

4 hours ago, BleedingGreen93 said:

My guess is 4 RBs all but set outside of an injury with Howard/Miles/Sproles/Clement.... Wouldn’t be shocked to see us carry a 5th RB into the season for him to get "HURT” with a mystery injury and placed on IR....And likely stash a guy we like on PS as well 

Boston Scott seems to be up and coming. Sproles IDK,he's old now and won;t take alot to take him out.Still say we keep 5 RB's rostered,so amazingly we agree,thats TWICE in a year!!! We must be getting old and mellow dude!HAHAHA

4 hours ago, trini said:

Agreed... I am hoping for a healthy Sproles, the return of a motivated player...ready for a run with a team loaded for a Championship. This team may be seeding young players and talent for the long run.... BUT the Eagles are also in win now mode. Who would you want blocking for Wentz fourth quarter in the playoffs . I like having that experience back there with Carson.

I wouldnt use Sproles a s a blocker

4 hours ago, cunninghamtheman said:

Really clinging to these old great players. This will be three years too long for Sproles. Pretty much the same with Peters. Hopefully he can stay healthy. Punt returner job is locked down now. That’s the main thing he brings to the table at this point. Reliable and trusty back there for that job. I feel like 53 man roster is pretty limiting so I wouldn’t have gone this route. Really felt like it was time to move on towards the young RBs. Develop Adams. See what Scott has. Pretty much shuts all that down. Invested in Clement and Sanders solely now. Which isn’t a bad thing. Two good young backs in my prediction. Sproles is a quality veteran to set a good example of being a hard working professional. He’s always been an easy guy to root for.

Let's see what Howard brings.He has time left.If he works out could see another multi year deal for him 2-3 maybe.Depends how he does.With this many backs it kinda keeps the wear off one guy(aka career extensions)

4 hours ago, cunninghamtheman said:

Brett Favre says he’ll come out of retirement to be the backup QB. Terrell Owens is ready to strap it on for one more season also. Trent Cole thinks he has another magical season rushing the passer left in him.

Actually if he is fit Favre would be a good BU in Jax behind Foles.At least he knows how to win lol

7 hours ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

Boston Scott seems to be up and coming. Sproles IDK,he's old now and won;t take alot to take him out.Still say we keep 5 RB's rostered,so amazingly we agree,thats TWICE in a year!!! We must be getting old and mellow dude!HAHAHA

I do think we could taken 5 guys at RB on the first 53 but I also think one of those 5 guys(ie likely the 5th guy like a Scott) get "hurt” and placed on IR for the year so we can essentially redshirt him for a year with no fear of them being poached.

1 minute ago, cunninghamtheman said:

Problem with placing a young player on IR is he can’t practice and improve.

Didn’t say it wasn’t flawed but teams do it all the time 

4 hours ago, BleedingGreen93 said:

I do think we could taken 5 guys at RB on the first 53 but I also think one of those 5 guys(ie likely the 5th guy like a Scott) get "hurt” and placed on IR for the year so we can essentially redshirt him for a year with no fear of them being poached.

I would rather have 5 rostered #6 on IR.We need to see if Clement and Sproles can stay on the field,which is not a given.Sanders still needs to learn the pro ropes 

I'm sure Sanders reps will increase through the season. In the above scenario,should we lose both Sproles and Clement,I'd like to have 2 others to rely on already rostered(pick which 2-Smalls,Adams,Scott).if we're going to make a SB run,we need that position well covered

Just now, GreenbleedinFL said:

I would rather have 5 rostered #6 on IR.We need to see if Clement and Sproles can stay on the field,which is not a given.Sanders still needs to learn the pro ropes 

Wow didn’t know Clement was already injury prone lol last year seeing it more as a fluke the. Anything with all the weird handling of injuries we had....Sanders not worried about A. Not the starter anyway plus B. RBs one of the easiest positions for guys to pickup why we see rookie RBs have success so early and not just top guys liken elliott and Barkley either but like Cohen,Kamara,Hunt, Chubb etc. 

Persoanlly feel 4 is plenty the 5th guy I only see as a possible stash guy(ie most likely meaning he gets placed on IR for the year)

2 hours ago, cunninghamtheman said:

Problem with placing a young player on IR is he can’t practice and improve.

We all know it's showtime for Sproles,so I would keep as many rostered as possible so they can practice.I also can see with the Sproles addition a trade offer for one down the road.

16 minutes ago, BleedingGreen93 said:

Wow didn’t know Clement was already injury prone lol last year seeing it more as a fluke the. Anything with all the weird handling of injuries we had....Sanders not worried about A. Not the starter anyway plus B. RBs one of the easiest positions for guys to pickup why we see rookie RBs have success so early and not just top guys liken elliott and Barkley either but like Cohen,Kamara,Hunt, Chubb etc. 

Persoanlly feel 4 is plenty the 5th guy I only see as a possible stash guy(ie most likely meaning he gets placed on IR for the year)

We don't know if it was a fluke or a prelude to being injury prone.On a SB run season you willing to take that chance? 

1 hour ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

We all know it's showtime for Sproles,so I would keep as many rostered as possible so they can practice.I also can see with the Sproles addition a trade offer for one down the road.

We don't know if it was a fluke or a prelude to being injury prone.On a SB run season you willing to take that chance? 

Sure we ha e 3 other RBs lol

With that logic at RB should we also carry 7 WRs???? I mean Alshon was hurt the entire first year he was here missed time in his 2nd season(missed games before he got here also), Djax hasn’t finished a 16 game season since he was traded by us, Hollins must be injury prone as well....Also JJaw is a rookie at one of the harder positions to transition to the NFL 

1 hour ago, BleedingGreen93 said:

With that logic at RB should we also carry 7 WRs???? I mean Alshon was hurt the entire first year he was here missed time in his 2nd season(missed games before he got here also), Djax hasn’t finished a 16 game season since he was traded by us, Hollins must be injury prone as well....Also JJaw is a rookie at one of the harder positions to transition to the NFL 

You make a strong case here. 7 WR makes much more sense than 5 RB. We actually have plays for four WR on the field at a time. Only one RB is out there at once. Unfortunately with resigning Sproles it feels like 5 RB is inevitable. 

6 minutes ago, mjkline1958 said:

Have to factor in we only have 1 RB signed after this season

Not that concerned with this like Joe mention before likely tender Clement fully expect him to bounce back....Likely Let Howard wall but that still gives us two guys 

8 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

You make a strong case here. 7 WR makes much more sense than 5 RB. We actually have plays for four WR on the field at a time. Only one RB is out there at once. Unfortunately with resigning Sproles it feels like 5 RB is inevitable. 

Again my believe is if we carry 5 guys on the roster means someone is headed to IR shortly after with a mystery injury 

I like the Sproles signing, it gives our offense another dimension that we really didn't have without him here. He is by far one of the best recieving backs to ever play the game. His blocking ability is underrated as well. He truly is a team player though and definitely a can be a mentor to our young backs. Like most of you I think we will stash a guy or 2 on mystery IR, hopefully Adams I really like the kid. We will try to sneak someone on the practice squad as well, though with the talent we have and the fact they have all showed they have potential in actual games they may be poached from us. We could carry 5 backs into the season too, though I'm not sure i see us doing that. So many players i want to keep so few roster spots available. 

58 minutes ago, BleedingGreen93 said:

Again my believe is if we carry 5 guys on the roster means someone is headed to IR shortly after with a mystery injury 

I’m thinking 5 and an IR(6th)

4 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

I’m thinking 5 and an IR(6th)

Just don’t see the point in having that many getting Sproles really doesn’t change anything in my eyes...If anything shows we were not confident in the guys we had so why keep 2 extra guys.... 

The thing is Adams and Scott seem worthy of developing. But you can’t develop much on IR. So they have to be on the roster or practice squad. Then they can practice and progress. Those two on IR really doesn’t do much for us. Both need to learn the blocking assignments. Because that was the problem with Adams. He is a good hard runner. But he couldn’t be relied on for protection. Which tells the defense the playcall essentially. Adams isn’t goodat short yardage either. I don’t think that’s coachable. You either are good at it or not. I’ve never believed it is a size thing. You have to find the crease. Scott needs plenty of field time to grow as well. You just can’t pickup punt returning skills on IR. And I really think he can develop a good all around game. But we’d have to give him the exposure to get there. 

The thing is I just don’t see Sprolesmaking it through the season and into the postseason. Just don’t think his body will holdup anymore. So it kinda feels like setting up for failure. Where as if we had a young returner and RB developing and getting better all season we’d have what we need at the end ...in the crucial times. 

Basically I want the guy who will be best down the stretch vs Sproles that will be best week one.

6 minutes ago, BleedingGreen93 said:

Just don’t see the point in having that many getting Sproles really doesn’t change anything in my eyes...If anything shows we were not confident in the guys we had so why keep 2 extra guys.... 

I’m with you. I don’t believe in keeping five. But that what I think actually happens.