DaveSpadaro

[News] Early Thinking On Some Roster Battles To Watch

Recommended Posts

16 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

I’m with you. I don’t believe in keeping five. But that what I think actually happens.

I can only see 5 if the plan is to IR a guy or a guy is hampered to start the season the. When player A is healthy we drop the 5th guy 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

And I only would dress three RB on gameday. Further accentuating the point.

I mean I see 4 guys dressing at RB but we have done that since Doug has been coach so don’t see that changing now 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, cunninghamtheman said:

You make a strong case here. 7 WR makes much more sense than 5 RB. We actually have plays for four WR on the field at a time. Only one RB is out there at once. Unfortunately with resigning Sproles it feels like 5 RB is inevitable. 

OH we have no 2 back sets? ok gotcha

4 hours ago, cunninghamtheman said:

And I only would dress three RB on gameday. Further accentuating the point.

Sad

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, cunninghamtheman said:

You make a strong case here. 7 WR makes much more sense than 5 RB. We actually have plays for four WR on the field at a time. Only one RB is out there at once. Unfortunately with resigning Sproles it feels like 5 RB is inevitable. 

OK so how many targets does  WR get per game EACH? And how many touches does a RB get per game? Your logic escapes me.If you have no running game you become 1 dimensional(as we have seen happen before).Therefore I stick to my guns and roster 5 RB's.We have no clue how Howard will play when it's showtime,Sanders has no experience in the pro game,Clement needs to show he's back,but yeah let dress those 3 and HOPE.That'd be great in most years,but if you are planning a SB run,you're gonna need a running game EVERY game,so why risk it??? Gotta have 2 guys who can go in if they need to

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

I'm sure Sanders reps will increase through the season. In the above scenario,should we lose both Sproles and Clement,I'd like to have 2 others to rely on already rostered(pick which 2-Smalls,Adams,Scott).if we're going to make a SB run,we need that position well covered

I agree. It'll help Wentz operate at full capacity. Among everything else. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, BleedingGreen93 said:

Persoanlly feel 4 is plenty the 5th guy I only see as a possible stash guy(ie most likely meaning he gets placed on IR for the year)

What if that 5th excels at ST's?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, downwithdallas said:

I like the Sproles signing, it gives our offense another dimension that we really didn't have without him here. He is by far one of the best recieving backs to ever play the game. His blocking ability is underrated as well. He truly is a team player though and definitely a can be a mentor to our young backs. Like most of you I think we will stash a guy or 2 on mystery IR, hopefully Adams I really like the kid. We will try to sneak someone on the practice squad as well, though with the talent we have and the fact they have all showed they have potential in actual games they may be poached from us. We could carry 5 backs into the season too, though I'm not sure i see us doing that. So many players i want to keep so few roster spots available. 

Sproles has always been a very effective blocker at 5’06”he has had to prove that his size would not make him a liability. I completely agree. DWD  I also really like Adams I believe he could be very effective inside or out. Love his 06’02 " frame. He could be a game breaker.  A shoulder injury kept him off the field in the postseason. Howard, Sanders, Clement, Sproles, Adams. Yea we IR a sixth guy Scott goes to IR. 

I don’t see Sproles used a lot early in the season .... used enough to stay sharp but the young guys should have plenty opportunities. We hold Sproles back until maybe game 12 thru16 we give him a bigger work load. Sproles could be a that Swiss Army knife.Howie GM, HC and fans love him as does his teammates. He stays healthy... I think Load Management is coming to the NFL for guys like Peters, Sproles and Kelce, by adding Sproles our SB chances go up 10% .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, BleedingGreen93 said:

 Not that concerned with this like Joe mention before likely tender Clement fully expect him to bounce back....Likely Let Howard wall but that still gives us two guys 

IDK it's "likely" we let Howard walk.Don't we need to see him perform first???

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, trini said:

Sproles has always been a very effective blocker at 5’06”he has had to prove that his size would not make him a liability. I completely agree. DWD  I also really like Adams I believe he could be very effective inside or out. Love his 06’02 " frame. He could be a game breaker.  A shoulder injury kept him off the field in the postseason. Howard, Sanders, Clement, Sproles, Adams. Yea we IR a sixth guy Scott goes to IR. 

I don’t see Sproles used a lot early in the season .... used enough to stay sharp but the young guys should have plenty opportunities. We hold Sproles back until maybe game 12 thru16 we give him a bigger work load. Sproles could be a that Swiss Army knife.Howie GM, HC and fans love him as does his teammates. He stays healthy... I think Load Management is coming to the NFL for guys like Peters, Sproles and Kelce, by adding Sproles our SB chances go up 10% .

You're gonna hold a guy back for 11 games? If he's the best player you PLAY him.If he gets hurt,next man up,thats why we have all these other RB'S

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

OK so how many targets does  WR get per game EACH? And how many touches does a RB get per game? Your logic escapes me.If you have no running game you become 1 dimensional(as we have seen happen before).Therefore I stick to my guns and roster 5 RB's.We have no clue how Howard will play when it's showtime,Sanders has no experience in the pro game,Clement needs to show he's back,but yeah let dress those 3 and HOPE.That'd be great in most years,but if you are planning a SB run,you're gonna need a running game EVERY game,so why risk it??? Gotta have 2 guys who can go in if they need to

Why would we have no clue how Howard will play when it’s showtime? He’s a proven commodity. Sanders does have to earn it. But obviously the investment in him was great. He will get his touches each week. He has to prove himself in pass pro. Showhe understands the blocking concepts and scheme. It will be a trial by fire. And then Sproles. He dresses because he’s your return man. Third and long back. So what does that leave for touches after that? Pretty much would just dress another guy to take snaps in a blowout situation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Unless.....the plan is starting week one to manage Wentz risk heavily. That we go for a very conservative approach to the season. Go with an extremely run heavy offense. Play defense and run the ball to limit Carson’s exposure to injury. It seems like pretty universally the thought is that this team is only as good as Carson’s health.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

IDK it's "likely" we let Howard walk.Don't we need to see him perform first???

I mean if he performs well would we want to pay him especially since we just invested in a cheaper option already in Sanders??? And if he performs poorly would we want him back then anyway???? I would be fine keeping Howard if he does well but he seems like a 1 year rental player that hopefully gets paid well as a FA and we recoup a comp. pick equal or higher then what we have up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can see pitch counts, esp on older players. Ever since that vid of JMac simply walking to the sideline and his Achilles snapping, the reality of the saying " it's not if you're going to get injured, it's when"  stays with me. It also rings true that each and every game is just as important as the other in the reg season, sure is nice to have everyone healthy going into extra innings. We suit up the best players available vs the team we're facing that week. Sanders' ceiling is high, but history and common sense say he'll have to start out slower, increasing reps as Sproles and others get him coached up. Even after the fiasco of last yrs running game and only having 1 RB signed after this season, it will still take camp and PS, players' health and ability to see if we keep more than 4, believe we keep/stash at least 5, not including PS.

Recouping from foot op and on plenty of pain meds, think that made sense. This isn't a "gut it out" kind of pain.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

Unless.....the plan is starting week one to manage Wentz risk heavily. That we go for a very conservative approach to the season. Go with an extremely run heavy offense. Play defense and run the ball to limit Carson’s exposure to injury. It seems like pretty universally the thought is that this team is only as good as Carson’s health.

$20.. the first 3 play calls of the season will be pass plays.  Come on, you know Doug likes to pass.   Hopefully they run more than last year, but still will be a pass based offense. 

I'm not so concerned about the numbers..  they have a thing called ST too.  If the 4th RB is good at it, then most likely he dresses.  I doubt Clement doesn't dress.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I mean I don’t see us being run heavy team or really a pass heavy team(by today’s NFL standards) I believe Doug is pretty good at keeping a balance....Believe we see around about 45-55 run pass ratio....The games themselves will dictate a ton as well I mean if we are up by 30 points we are of course going to run a lot more but if we are down by 30 pretty much abandon the run entirely 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, cunninghamtheman said:

Unless.....the plan is starting week one to manage Wentz risk heavily. That we go for a very conservative approach to the season. Go with an extremely run heavy offense. Play defense and run the ball to limit Carson’s exposure to injury. It seems like pretty universally the thought is that this team is only as good as Carson’s health.

I mean this is a universal thought of all team with franchise QBs...They only good with them not without.... I mean look at GB and Indy as recent examples....What do we think NE,Seattle,KC etc would look like if there QBs go down.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We went out and got Wentz all the offensive weapons an NFL QB could ask for and a very good OL. He's got to get rid of the ball faster into the hands of those playmakers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, mjkline1958 said:

We went out and got Wentz all the offensive weapons an NFL QB could ask for and a very good OL. He's got to get rid of the ball faster into the hands of those playmakers.

 Wentz will be fine he will naturally start to get rid of the ball faster the bolder he gets I believe 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Biggest factor a QB holds the ball.... nobody is open.  Or he doesn't see the open guy. 

Get open or put a route tree together where they get open... forget RPO so we avoid the unblocked man.... it worked with Foles to where he dumps off to the RB... that's not Wentz.  Need more Peyton Manning style offense like we had in 2017.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

3074 yards 21 tds 7 int this stat line would be something Mcnabb would have posted throughout his career and been consider a good season....Wentz puts these numbers up and we complain he is having a down season....That what has to be most exciting about Wentz even at his low peak he puts up quality NFl starter numbers 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Make it even better Dak posts 3885 yards 22 tds 8ints great season by him yet Wentz very similar numbers(Lower total yards through the air of course) but again down year or bad year lol 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, cunninghamtheman said:

Why would we have no clue how Howard will play when it’s showtime? He’s a proven commodity. Sanders does have to earn it. But obviously the investment in him was great. He will get his touches each week. He has to prove himself in pass pro. Showhe understands the blocking concepts and scheme. It will be a trial by fire. And then Sproles. He dresses because he’s your return man. Third and long back. So what does that leave for touches after that? Pretty much would just dress another guy to take snaps in a blowout situation.

He didn't do much last year due to being phased out,he has yet to be "proven" in Philly no?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now