DaveSpadaro

[News] Early Thinking On Some Roster Battles To Watch

17 minutes ago, BleedingGreen93 said:

My guess is the Eagles will be a relatively balanced attack 45(r)-55(p) run pass ratio....Would be my guess....But again it all going to be dictated BY WHATS HAPPENING IN THE GAMES!!!!!!!!!! 

I though 60/40 was the norm? So you're gonna run the ball more with all the receiving weapons we have now?

Doug Pederson run pass ratio

2016 41-59 run pass

2017- 44-56 run pass ratio

2018- 39-61 run pass ratio

my guess 2017 is the ratio Dougie wants and as long as the ground game is effective we will use it 

12 minutes ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

We won the SB WITHOUT Wentz.So you say Suds isn't Foles.ok granted,but maybe he IS.next man UP.It's NFL life

I think what you missed, and many missed, was the intangibles of Foles. It wasn’t all about his arm. Not many backup QBs have won the Super Bowl. You need your top guy to win it all. That’s part of what made winning with Foles so special. But Foles was a starting NFL QB before. Pretty seasoned. Suds is none of that. I think we can win a regular season game with Suds. But very doubtful of this in the postseason. Keep Carson safe is the mission.

15 minutes ago, BleedingGreen93 said:

Doug Pederson run pass ratio

2016 41-59 run pass

2017- 44-56 run pass ratio

2018- 39-61 run pass ratio

my guess 2017 is the ratio Dougie wants and as long as the ground game is effective we will use it 

So we heavily invested in WR's to run the ball more?

14 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

I think what you missed, and many missed, was the intangibles of Foles. It wasn’t all about his arm. Not many backup QBs have won the Super Bowl. You need your top guy to win it all. That’s part of what made winning with Foles so special. But Foles was a starting NFL QB before. Pretty seasoned. Suds is none of that. I think we can win a regular season game with Suds. But very doubtful of this in the postseason. Keep Carson safe is the mission.

Let Carson play is the mission

Just now, GreenbleedinFL said:

I though 60/40 was the norm?

It is the norm lol look it up 15 teams passed 60% of the time...3 teams were at 59% so essentially over half the teams in the nfl were passing damn near 60/40 

14 minutes ago, BleedingGreen93 said:

It is the norm lol look it up 15 teams passed 60% of the time...3 teams were at 59% so essentially over half the teams in the nfl were passing damn near 60/40 

OK so you want to fall below the norm even farther,got it

1 minute ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

So we heavily invested in WR's to run the ball more?

Let Carson play is the mission

We also heavily invest at RB lol again my thinking we want to be as close to balanced as possible ie 2017 SB year

OK so you want to fall below the norm even farther,got it

We won a SB when we were below the norm so yea I’m fine with it lol give me that 56/44 ratio again 

14 minutes ago, BleedingGreen93 said:

We also heavily invest at RB lol again my thinking we want to be as close to balanced as possible ie 2017 SB year

Howard is on a 1 year prove it,we drafted a FUTURE RB,he may or may not be a heavy contributor this year(Sanders).We kept/got WR's and paid much more for that

3 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

But Foles was a starting NFL QB before. Pretty seasoned. Suds is none of that.

'Suds is none of that' is an unknown to us. Not to the coaches. So???

15 minutes ago, EaglesTD123 said:

Yep,if there was a HUGE difference bewteen him and Foles we would have busted to keep Foles around,so it's apparent to me the staff feels ok with him

Howard is on a 1 year prove it,we drafted a FUTURE RB,he may or may not be a heavy contributor this year(Sanders).We kept/got WR's and paid much more for that

So we spent higher draft pick on Sanders then JJaw and we traded a higher pick to secure Howard then to trade for Djax....But we invested more at Wr simply because they are getting paid more lol...Looks to me we gave up more so we can have a run game again similar to 2017 

So we spent higher draft pick on Sanders then JJaw and we traded a higher pick to secure Howard then to trade for Djax....But we invested more at Wr simply because they are getting paid more lol...Looks to me we gave up more so we can have a run game again similar to 2017 

Investment is $ is it not? Drafting is drafting,you take the best players.If we didnt want WR's why did we take Jjaw in 2 and not a RB?

2 minutes ago, EaglesTD123 said:

How does that effect Suds NFL experience in big games? How does that transfer to being a leader of men? Third string QB that has barely played in the NFL vs seasoned starter. Foles was a former Pro Bowl MVP. Record setter in thrown TDs in a game. Don’t make me go all Allen Iverson on you ...with you talking about practice.

Investment is $ is it not? Drafting is drafting,you take the best players.If we didnt want WR's why did we take Jjaw in 2 and not a RB?

Draft picks aren’t investment got it 

We did take a RB in the 2nd Miles Sanders and we took him higher then JJaw

Draft picks aren’t investment got it 

FOr the future.I'm talking about win now.We spent the money WHERE?

3 minutes ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

Yep,if there was a HUGE difference bewteen him and Foles we would have busted to keep Foles around,so it's apparent to me the staff feels ok with him

Foles opted out of his contract. Got paid big time starter money to be THE STARTER. Not realistic to keep Foles around. Last year we easily could have trade Foles. Many thought it obviouswe would trade Foles. But we kept him and paid him large dough for a backup. Pretty much completely countering your whole Suds argument.

FOr the future.I'm talking about win now

So it’s Howard’s fault he is still on his rookie deal makes next to nothing...But We clearly thought more of him to give up a higher draft pick to secure him then what we gave up for Djax....Oh and I forgot rookies never help win now lol 

So it’s Howard’s fault he is still on his rookie deal makes next to nothing...But We clearly thought more of him to give up a higher draft pick to secure him then what we gave up for Djax....Oh and I forgot rookies never help win now lol 

How many rookies will start in your opinion?

I'm not sure about all this "if we didn't want WR's" stuff. 

You're not just drafting for the current year, but also the future. Nelly is likely gone after this season. What are Hollins and Gibson? Alshon Jeffery could be out after this season, he turns 30 next year and would save the Eagles just over $10 million. On top of that, DeSean is 32 year's old and has dealt with soft tissue injuries.

So, I would say with question marks about Hollins and Gibson, DeSean's health and the possibility of Nelly and Alshon not being on the roster, that all has more to do with the Eagles drafting a WR in the 2nd round over a RB.

10 minutes ago, EaglesTD123 said:

NFL experience is crucial. Even the best QBs mostly took time to acclimate to the Pro game. Pretty unrealistic to think Suds to be totally different.

17 minutes ago, Don Corleone said:

I'm not sure about all this "if we didn't want WR's" stuff. 

You're not just drafting for the current year, but also the future. Nelly is likely gone after this season. What are Hollins and Gibson? Alshon Jeffery could be out after this season, he turns 30 next year and would save the Eagles just over $10 million. On top of that, DeSean is 32 year's old and has dealt with soft tissue injuries.

So, I would say with question marks about Hollins and Gibson, DeSean's health and the possibility of Nelly and Alshon not being on the roster, that all has more to do with the Eagles drafting a WR in the 2nd round over a RB.

Yeah usually we don't draft RB's,but Sanders was there and you can't ignore that

I watched an exceptional QB in Patrick Mahomes even come out flat against the Pats in the first half of their playoff game. With experience I expect Mahomes to improve. When has experience really been a negative? Suds just doesn’t have it.

17 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

NFL experience is crucial. Even the best QBs mostly took time to acclimate to the Pro game. Pretty unrealistic to think Suds to be totally different.

Apparently the FO is fine with him

15 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

I watched an exceptional QB in Patrick Mahomes even come out flat against the Pats in the first half of their playoff game. With experience I expect Mahomes to improve. When has experience really been a negative? Suds just doesn’t have it.

That's why he is a 2 and not a starter

Yeah usually we don't draft RB's,but Sanders was there and you can't ignore that

Not just about that either. How many RB's are under contract beyond 2019? 

One, Sanders.

The Eagles don't typically invest a lot of money or draft capital at that position, that's why I don't think Jordan Howard will be back after this season and there's the potential to draft another one. D'Andre Swift, Jonathan Taylor, Travis Etienne etc.

16 minutes ago, Don Corleone said:

Not just about that either. How many RB's are under contract beyond 2019? 

One, Sanders.

The Eagles don't typically invest a lot of money or draft capital at that position, that's why I don't think Jordan Howard will be back after this season and there's the potential to draft another one. D'Andre Swift, Jonathan Taylor, Travis Etienne etc.

Agree,unless Howard really puts up the numbers.Gives Sanders a year to learn the NFL game.If Howard kicks it and he wants to stay,then we'll have to decide(if the price is right).Next years RB class looks better than this last one