DaveSpadaro

[News] Early Thinking On Some Roster Battles To Watch

6 minutes ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

Apparently the FO is fine with him

That's why he is a 2 and not a starter

He’s a 2 because Foles got a starting gig. He’s been a 3 his career so far.

Just now, GreenbleedinFL said:

Agree,unless Howard really puts up the numbers.Gives Sanders a year to learn the NFL game.If Howard kicks it and he wants to stay,then we'll have to decide.Next years RB class looks better than this last one

It is.

Right now the Eagles have 8 RB's on the roster. Assuming they keep 5, 4 of those 5 are, in no particular order:

Sproles

Howard

Sanders

Clement

And you have Smallwood, Scott, Pumphrey and Adams competing for that 5th spot.

16 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

He’s a 2 because Foles got a starting gig. He’s been a 3 his career so far.

If he wasn't 2 material we would have gone out and got one 

15 minutes ago, Don Corleone said:

It is.

Right now the Eagles have 8 RB's on the roster. Assuming they keep 5, 4 of those 5 are, in no particular order:

Sproles

Howard

Sanders

Clement

Hearing good things about Scott

Just now, GreenbleedinFL said:

If he wasn't 2 material we would have gone out and got one 

Same thing you said about him being a starter....how do you know he’s 2 material? We’ve invested time in him. He knows the system. He should be impeccable in the preseason in this role. We’ll see...

16 minutes ago, Don Corleone said:

It is.

Sproles

Howard

Sanders

Clement

Yeah in a way I'm not happy taking Sproles back.Gonna cost us a young player,but really liking next years RB class much better than this last one

14 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

Same thing you said about him being a starter....how do you know he’s 2 material? We’ve invested time in him. He knows the system. He should be impeccable in the preseason in this role. We’ll see...

He's a 2 because we have Wentz. Maybe he could be a starter in Tenn since Mariota looks crappy.IDK we dont see enough to know,but the FO knows

House not selling,looks like FL is stuck with me lol.I'm off for now

1 minute ago, cunninghamtheman said:

.how do you know he’s 2 material?

To take a stab at this. I would say the assumption is he's #2 material based on how the FO has raved about him and that, if they didn't feel he was #2 material, they would've added a legit QB to compete against him in camp instead of Kessler.

And FL, gone out and got who? Not many options for a quality backup QBs. And you can’t just pick your guy. They have to want to come here also. Which the best wouldn’t because they want an opportunity to compete for a starting job.

10 minutes ago, Don Corleone said:

To take a stab at this. I would say the assumption is he's #2 material based on how the FO has raved about him and that, if they didn't feel he was #2 material, they would've added a legit QB to compete against him in camp instead of Kessler.

Who would they have added? We hope he’s 2 material I would say is the accurate assumption.

He played in a game. Threw for 134 yards. No TDs. No interceptions. Got sacked three times. 

I’d say it’s fair to believe he needs to step his game up. And the hope is that stepping up to the 2 spot with increased reps with better talent will help elevate his game.

15 minutes ago, Don Corleone said:

Drafted a guy and added Kessler. Only thing more they could really do is make an aggressive trade. That reaks of desperation though. And that still could happen. You wouldn’t make that move until you saw the results of the preseason games anyway. I believe Suds has a great opportunity this preseason. But he has to earn it. I don’t believe that’s facts of the past....it’s what lies ahead in his future.

8 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

Who would they have added? We hope he’s 2 material I would say is the accurate assumption.

They could've gone out and added someone like Blake Bortles, or Tannehill, or Fitzpatrick. None of these guys are legit starters in the NFL, but can come win a few games if you lose your starter.

It’s like we kept Taylor Hart on the 53 for all those years. Developing DE. Then developing Olineman. Didn’t materialize into anything. Not everybody works out. Mailata could develop into a stud. Or he could never play a down. Flip a coin...who knows. Is Suds a quality backup QB? Who knows.

4 minutes ago, Don Corleone said:

They could've gone out and added someone like Blake Bortles, or Tannehill, or Fitzpatrick. None of these guys are legit starters in the NFL, but can come win a few games if you lose your starter.

Fitz never would have come here. He went for a chance to compete to be a starter. Dolphins traded Tannehill. Those weren’t options.

Fitz never would have come here. He went for a chance to compete to be a starter. Dolphins traded Tannehill. Those weren’t options.

lol Tannehill was traded for a 7th round pick in 2019 and a 4th round pick in 2020, that's not a huge price to pay, so, if Howie & Co felt Sudfeld wasn't ready to be the guy or wanted legit competition for him in TC, they could've easily traded for Ryan Tannehill.

Would Bortles have chosen here over LA? Kinda seems doubtful.

We'll never know, will we? Did the Eagles even show interest in Bortles? The answer to that is likely no, because of the belief they have in Sudfeld.

1 minute ago, Don Corleone said:

lol Tannehill was traded for a 7th round pick in 2019 and a 4th round pick in 2020, that's not a huge price to pay, so, if Howie & Co felt Sudfeld wasn't ready to be the guy or wanted legit competition for him in TC, they could've easily traded for Ryan Tannehill.

Why wouldn’t you want legit competition in TC? 

8 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

Why wouldn’t you want legit competition in TC? 

So you're telling me Cody Kessler and 5th round pick Clayton Thorson are legitimate competition for the #2 spot?

You can stand by that assumption, by all means. However, I'm not looking at it from a fan perspective, I'm looking at it from a FO perspective, they've shown that they believe in Sudfeld and yeah, Doug said nothing is given that he'll have to earn it, but by adding Kessler and Thorson, it appears, to me at least, that they've given Sudfeld every opportunity to be the back-up.

5 minutes ago, Don Corleone said:

So you're telling me Cody Kessler and 5th round pick Clayton Thorson are legitimate competition for the #2 spot?

You can stand by that assumption, by all means. However, I'm not looking at it from a fan perspective, I'm looking at it from a FO perspective, they've shown that they believe in Sudfeld and yeah, Doug said nothing is given that he'll have to earn it, but by adding Kessler and Thorson, it appears, to me at least, that they've given Sudfeld every opportunity to be the back-up.

I agree that they definitely are giving Suds every opportunity to be the backup. Heck he’s been being trained and developed in the system for years. You couldn’t ask for a better situation if you’re a player. Kessler was drafted much earlier than Suds. I don’t think Thorson and him are great competition though. I really can’t think of a guy we could have brought in that would have been though. The NFL is slim pickings for quality QBs. I kind of like Bridgewater. But the Saints aren’t trading him with Brees age. Tannehill isn’t great but he was traded. Really our only option was to hope Suds steps up.

Chargers signed Tyrod Taylor. Probably the top option. Fitz like you mentioned. But an opportunity to start is much better for him than the backup job here. Phins traded for Rosen also. He has potential I’d say. Hasn’t done anything yet though.