DaveSpadaro

[News] Early Thinking On Some Roster Battles To Watch

1 hour ago, stine said:

. I am not sold here. We have PS to go thru for me to change my mind, but I am not sold we are better at LB.

LOL... just like last year you needed preseason to see about them being at least 10-6?  Come on Stine, trust the obvious. (plus lets be honest, preseason won't tell us jack squat... see Emmanuel "Ray Lewis" Acho)   Nelson was offered more money to stay in Denver.  Yet he came here, and was quoted as saying he was told he was going to have a chance to start.   Kendricks had no trade value because he was overpaid.  Even a slightly over paid guy will have some trade value if there is one team that really wants him.  He played solid last year, his salary should reflect a probowl playmaker type.  Eagles need the cap space, signed Nelson, no brainer.  

But look around the league ... tell me which team has good backup depth at LB if 2 of their top guys go down?   We have unknown young guys, just like our CB siutation last year.... so at least its better than prior years with guys like Goode..... similar to CB with guys like Carroll .... those are forfeit years of knowing guys aren;t good enough... you can't say that currently with the young LBs.... they are more of unknown rather than proven to be not good enough.  I'll take it.   But we won't know by watching vanilla preseason ball... they will ave to be thrown in the mix during real games. 

1 hour ago, stine said:

Swoop, in 2013 Kendricks had 5 pass defensed, 3 INT, 2 FF, 4 FR, 4 sacks and 86 tackles playing in a 3-4. Those totals are better than Nelson's career.....

So tell me he could not defend. That is an excuse if you ask me. We all just agree with what everyone writes instead of watching games he played well in 2013/2014...

Well... lets be honest.    If you are good in coverage, that means they throw at you less.  So "passes defended"  I don;t even look at it.  Eye test I know Kendricks struggles when he has 2 options... if he has one read, he is ok.  

Hi fans, its been awhile! For what its worth, I thought the only way Kendricks was going to be on the club this year was if Schwartz took a head coaching job. When that didn't occur I figured he was gone. Obviously it was a money issue more than anything. The Eagles tried to renegotiate his contract to keep him but Kendricks turned them down. I don't think Kendricks wanted to be here any longer due to the defense we play and the amount of snaps he gets when everyone is healthy (25)percent. Plus he just won a Super Bowl so he can check that box. He is more than likely going to be taking a cut in pay from what he was making with the Eagles to play for his next team and that is why I think he wanted to leave. For more playing time elsewhere. This past year was the perfect storm regarding Kendricks for both him and the Eagles. These new linebackers brought in this year and the ones on the practice roster only have to be as good as Kendricks, not better than Kendricks for the whole situation to work out for both sides. The Eagles are gambling that it will and I tend to agree mainly because the replacement linebacker for Kendricks will only have to play 25 percent of the snaps. That should let the Eagles be able to experiment with different individuals even in the regular season to find out who the guy is. Really more concerned about the third safety position.

I know that some of you wanted to see Douglas give it a shot at the safety position and I did as well. It was my opinion "before" the Super Bowl that Douglas and Mills would both make good safeties given the right amount of time to learn the position.  Now that we all watched the team win the Super bowl and also watched how Darby guarded Gronk, do we still want him starting against tall receivers? Douglas is taller and coming out of college his strong suit was route recognition. No he doesn't have 4.3 speed like Darby but I was actually embarrassed for Darby during the Super Bowl. Every other team has that game film so I am glad that Schwartz is doing a little more experimenting with the position even if turns out that Douglas only starts when tall receivers are in the game.

We get the 6 mill for Kendricks' release today, will be interesting to see what we do w/ it, if anything. Graham?

2 minutes ago, mjkline1958 said:

We get the 6 mill for Kendricks' release today, will be interesting to see what we do w/ it, if anything. Graham?

Well you know Howie loves to make moves and if he's got money to spend then he's going to be itching to use it. Graham seems obvious but look out for another move somewhere. 

Howie's like a force of energy - every action has an equal but opposite reaction. Always waiting for that other shoe to drop. We are supposed;y cash strapped for next year, see a few players retiring or not coming back so too early to pay much attention to. I plan for the future so if not extending someone would have to consider saving it for a rainy day injury if we have to pick someone up quick.

2 hours ago, joemas6 said:

Well... lets be honest.    If you are good in coverage, that means they throw at you less.  So "passes defended"  I don;t even look at it.  Eye test I know Kendricks struggles when he has 2 options... if he has one read, he is ok.  

Really. OK they both had 5 passes defensed in their "Best " years. Only difference is Kendricks had 3 int's to none for Nelson.

3 hours ago, joemas6 said:

LOL... just like last year you needed preseason to see about them being at least 10-6?  Come on Stine, trust the obvious. (plus lets be honest, preseason won't tell us jack squat... see Emmanuel "Ray Lewis" Acho)   Nelson was offered more money to stay in Denver.  Yet he came here, and was quoted as saying he was told he was going to have a chance to start.   Kendricks had no trade value because he was overpaid.  Even a slightly over paid guy will have some trade value if there is one team that really wants him.  He played solid last year, his salary should reflect a probowl playmaker type.  Eagles need the cap space, signed Nelson, no brainer.  

But look around the league ... tell me which team has good backup depth at LB if 2 of their top guys go down?   We have unknown young guys, just like our CB siutation last year.... so at least its better than prior years with guys like Goode..... similar to CB with guys like Carroll .... those are forfeit years of knowing guys aren;t good enough... you can't say that currently with the young LBs.... they are more of unknown rather than proven to be not good enough.  I'll take it.   But we won't know by watching vanilla preseason ball... they will ave to be thrown in the mix during real games. 

We can see the LB's you are so excited about play. We can see if Hicks can make it through PS without getting injured. Maybe we will not see much of them, but anything to see if they can cover, like you say they can. Nelson was offered more money to stay. So I am supposed to be all smiles? Really? He has less career tackles than Kendricks had in a season (twice). Look, I hope Nelson does what everyone hopes. But there is nothing out there to base he will. Limited amount of playing time. Howie and Co. have been making solid decisions so far. Let's hope this continues. I remember people on here saying to Pay Kendricks 4-5 years ago. Now everyone is happy to see him go...? Did we even try to renegotiate his contract? I read nothing about it on here. He was not someone who Swartz liked. Plain and simple. I will wait to see how long before Douglas is gone too. All on here will agree that he should be gone.......

2 hours ago, 1wrangler said:

I know that some of you wanted to see Douglas give it a shot at the safety position and I did as well. It was my opinion "before" the Super Bowl that Douglas and Mills would both make good safeties given the right amount of time to learn the position.  Now that we all watched the team win the Super bowl and also watched how Darby guarded Gronk, do we still want him starting against tall receivers? Douglas is taller and coming out of college his strong suit was route recognition. No he doesn't have 4.3 speed like Darby but I was actually embarrassed for Darby during the Super Bowl. Every other team has that game film so I am glad that Schwartz is doing a little more experimenting with the position even if turns out that Douglas only starts when tall receivers are in the game.

Problem is Douglas has not been used at the slot at all. He has been used on the outside only. I would love to see him inside on a slot WR or a TE, but he has not seen one snap there. To me, that says Swartz is not planning on using him this year anywhere. Look to see him ask Howie to get something for him. Maybe a 3rd or 4th rounder.... This is what history tells us. That is why I am bringing it up.

1 minute ago, stine said:

We can see the LB's you are so excited about play. We can see if Hicks can make it through PS without getting injured. Maybe we will not see much of them, but anything to see if they can cover, like you say they can. Nelson was offered more money to stay. So I am supposed to be all smiles? Really? He has less career tackles than Kendricks had in a season (twice). Look, I hope Nelson does what everyone hopes. But there is nothing out there to base he will. Limited amount of playing time. Howie and Co. have been making solid decisions so far. Let's hope this continues. I remember people on here saying to Pay Kendricks 4-5 years ago. Now everyone is happy to see him go...? Did we even try to renegotiate his contract? I read nothing about it on here. He was not someone who Swartz liked. Plain and simple. I will wait to see how long before Douglas is gone too. All on here will agree that he should be gone... Keep drinking that I still use the EMB's #1 Cliche.....

??????   Stine... I know you have been busy with the stock market.  

1.  Yes they asked Kendricks to take a pay cut, he didn't want to.  Was it on here??? IDK, but I hope you don't get all of your info on here... we have a Comcast station that is pretty much 24 hour sports news, a bunch of sports talk shows... about 100 Eagles blogs.   

2.  What are you talking about with Douglas ... the CB drafted at the end of the 3rd round last year?    He played some last year, I thought he played well vs the big slow WRs.  I heard he was covering Goedert pretty well in OTAs.   Not sure why you apparently need a late 3rd round pick to be the center of everything or move to safety?  Schwartz was here when they drafted him, unlike Kendricks.

3.  I'm not saying Nelson or anyone else is great... I'm saying it was obvious he was brought in here to take over the #3 LB spot, plus STs.   You can watch preseason and tell me how they do, I'll find out the Thursday of the opener.  I'd rather watch paint dry than preseason myself.  Just a matter of personal taste.  I hate football without a game plan.  That's just me.  

4.  In what year did you specifically feel confident in the backup LBs.   You have been an Eagles fan for a long time, i'm sure you can remember thinking... "Gee, we have some great 5th and 6th LBs here"   ??????   

3 minutes ago, stine said:

Problem is Douglas has not been used at the slot at all. He has been used on the outside only. I would love to see him inside on a slot WR or a TE, but he has not seen one snap there. To me, that says Swartz is not planning on using him this year anywhere. Look to see him ask Howie to get something for him. Maybe a 3rd or 4th rounder.... This is what history tells us. That is why I am bringing it up.

2nd year guy ... Darby contract coming up.... we have him under control for 3 more years... relax on year 2. He may start outside next year?   Could easily be looking at Doglas, Jones, Jenkins, Mills as your starting secondary.    Easy rushing everything.  Let the young guys learn.  Big picture thinking here.  

I do search for clips but we're not on the practice field, locker room, meetings etc. The coaches are so we have to trust the process.

As for PS games I do try to watch them just for the guys we really hadn't had a chance to watch. You can pick up on things like game speed and how they react in certain situations. Even the 4th PS game can help decide bubble players. Besides by then we're all hungry for the season to start. We have to come out fast this yr, every game counts - dislike that "games count more late in the season" mentality

1 hour ago, mjkline1958 said:

I do search for clips but we're not on the practice field, locker room, meetings etc. The coaches are so we have to trust the process.

As for PS games I do try to watch them just for the guys we really hadn't had a chance to watch. You can pick up on things like game speed and how they react in certain situations. Even the 4th PS game can help decide bubble players. Besides by then we're all hungry for the season to start. We have to come out fast this yr, every game counts - dislike that "games count more late in the season" mentality

Games count starting in Sept!   

You guys could always check the blog, OTA updates for both days that were available to the media were posted there.

There's also the 411, it's updated daily with news articles.

I have to agree that Kendrick’s was simply overpaid. Rumor was they offered to keep him under condition of taking a pay cut. A huge pay cut! 1.75 mil instead of the lofty check he was due in his contract. It’s not just about getting under the cap this year. Money is desperately needed for next year. And the truth is Schwartz brings pressure with the front four. He needs coverage capabilities more than downhill LBing. I don’t really know all that much about Nelson. What is obvious is that he was coveted by our coaches. 

DeVonte Bausby has been making some noise in the slot. Sounds like he already earned the coaches and his teammates respect. Good come up for a player off the practice squad.

On ‎6‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 4:58 PM, cunninghamtheman said:

I have to agree that Kendrick’s was simply overpaid. Rumor was they offered to keep him under condition of taking a pay cut. A huge pay cut! 1.75 mil instead of the lofty check he was due in his contract. It’s not just about getting under the cap this year. Money is desperately needed for next year. And the truth is Schwartz brings pressure with the front four. He needs coverage capabilities more than downhill LBing. I don’t really know all that much about Nelson. What is obvious is that he was coveted by our coaches. 

I was unaware they tried to renegotiate his contract. That does change things a bit. I also agree that he would be a better fit in a 3-4 than this system. However, I do think he has shown the capability to cover. I have watched him in games do a decent job. To say he has no coverage skills is just not fair. Anyway, it is done with. We will see how he does in the future. I agree Bausby seems to have caught coaches eyes...

On ‎6‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 3:24 PM, joemas6 said:

??????   Stine... I know you have been busy with the stock market.  

1.  Yes they asked Kendricks to take a pay cut, he didn't want to.  Was it on here??? IDK, but I hope you don't get all of your info on here... we have a Comcast station that is pretty much 24 hour sports news, a bunch of sports talk shows... about 100 Eagles blogs.   

2.  What are you talking about with Douglas ... the CB drafted at the end of the 3rd round last year?    He played some last year, I thought he played well vs the big slow WRs.  I heard he was covering Goedert pretty well in OTAs.   Not sure why you apparently need a late 3rd round pick to be the center of everything or move to safety?  Schwartz was here when they drafted him, unlike Kendricks.

3.  I'm not saying Nelson or anyone else is great... I'm saying it was obvious he was brought in here to take over the #3 LB spot, plus STs.   You can watch preseason and tell me how they do, I'll find out the Thursday of the opener.  I'd rather watch paint dry than preseason myself.  Just a matter of personal taste.  I hate football without a game plan.  That's just me.  

4.  In what year did you specifically feel confident in the backup LBs.   You have been an Eagles fan for a long time, i'm sure you can remember thinking... "Gee, we have some great 5th and 6th LBs here"   ??????   

Before Reid we had solid LB crews. Were they 2 deep at every position? No, but they had back ups that could play in more than one spot. Plus the starting 3 were studs, so putting in a back up is easier to hide. Reason I am talking about Douglas is the Eagles are deep at CB and not at Safety. I think ( I am not alone here) that Douglas might be a good fit at safety, where they need depth. With Bausby turning heads at CB, it makes so much more sense.

15 hours ago, mjkline1958 said:

1 year deal with a max value of $3.5 million for Kendricks.

On ‎6‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 3:26 PM, joemas6 said:

2nd year guy ... Darby contract coming up.... we have him under control for 3 more years... relax on year 2. He may start outside next year?   Could easily be looking at Doglas, Jones, Jenkins, Mills as your starting secondary.    Easy rushing everything.  Let the young guys learn.  Big picture thinking here.  

Big picture would be trying him at different positions, like safety. Not throwing him behind -4 other CB's at a position where he has no chance to play...

17 hours ago, mjkline1958 said:

OK, now the news is he did indeed sign with Cleveland for 3.5 Mil. After all the Complaining from Kendricks, it could be the dude is a bit unstable? I mean this would shed some light on the subject if true... Just trying to get a better understanding and this would make sense. Of course, money always talks and 3.5 Mil is much better than 1.75.... Of course, we do not know what exactly was offered or countered. All we have to go by is the media, which is always a bit tricky.....

On 6/1/2018 at 8:26 PM, joemas6 said:

Could easily be looking at Doglas, Jones, Jenkins, Mills as your starting secondary

I'm guessing you've missed out McLeod and not the you've put Douglas or Mills at Safety in this line up mate? 

43 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I'm guessing you've missed out McLeod and not the you've put Douglas or Mills at Safety in this line up mate? 

If you are saying they have tried Mills and Douglas at safety, then yes, I missed that. I have not been on these boards all that much lately. I do not recall hearing they tried either of them at safety yet...?

As far as the roster goes, They list Jenkins and Mcleod as their starting safeties. Maragos as the only back up with over 1 year experience and we all know his liability.

That leaves Sullivan and possibly Killings as back ups? Or 3 rookies? I am not all that happy with that proposition. Now, if they have had either Mills or Douglas playing at safety, that makes a huge difference to me. I have not read that anywhere as yet though....