DaveSpadaro

[News] Early Thinking On Some Roster Battles To Watch

5 minutes ago, BleedingGreen93 said:

As for Jones he has some stiff competition to earn his role whether it is on the outside or in the slot....Maddox is looking like a future stud though no clue where we really want him yet...LeBlanc showed last year he is a very capable and pretty damn good slot CB....

On the outside you have Douglas and when healthy Darby plus the Schwartz favorite in Mills

The amazing part to me is that a couple of those guys were attained by accident and Schwartz had no involvement in acquiring them them at all. I will give him credit for admitting that. A man has to know his limitations. JMO but I have always said that Schwartz projects arrogance to me. A quality that I do not like. Nothing wrong with deferring to someone else for talent selection if your "pride" lets you do it. Maybe we started a trend here last year with CB evaluation by a lower level talent scout on the team who should be getting some more recognition.

8 minutes ago, BleedingGreen93 said:

Think Mills would have value in a trade he is a CB with exp. and was good enough to be a starter on a SB winning team....Add in the fake decent/good CB play is tough to find could have value....My big thing with him now is his contract is up at the end of the year and don’t see us bringing him back(but then again said the same on Darby so what do I know)

You may be right. It is rather obvious I have no use for him though. He is slow and falls for the double moves 90% of the time. I find it amazing why Swartz thinks so highly of him....

Joe Osteman seemed to have bulked up this off season. I heard he put on 20 lbs of muscle and is pushing for playing time, which is welcome. This guy may surprise allot of people...

5 minutes ago, stine said:

You may be right. It is rather obvious I have no use for him though. He is slow and falls for the double moves 90% of the time. I find it amazing why Swartz thinks so highly of him....

Stine, We may never know if Mills would have been a great safety in our lineup. I have been saying since he got here that safety is his position. He is a good tackler and plays well in a crowd like down in the red zone. Obviously I am not a talent scout but I see things differently than others at times.

How great is it.    We go through years with a piss poor soft CB group ... we finally geta guy with some attitude in the back ... win a SB with the guy ... now all of a sudden he stinks a because the caoch likes him.     OMG ... a CB got beat in 2019 he stinks...lol.    

I like all our young guys ... don't love any of them, think none are perfect but they all have their strong suits ... enough to where you can win a SB and then go win a playoff game the following year.  Now its the 3rd year with a lot of this group.  Douglas and Jones ... the 2 drafted in 2017, I think we see get more opportunity, year three for both, Jones now 2 years removed from his achillies (which don't be ignorant and think it didn't have some negative effects on the hamstrings and everything else as he had to train ... ie coincidence Wentz, Maragos, Hicks, Peters and Sproles all were a little banged up again last year??  THINK a little bit)    But a healthy Jones ... Douglas with some more season now, Maddox who I can't see not starting at one of the DB spots then possbily moving to nickel if needed ... and your starting SB corners still in the wings from injury with Darby and Mills.  

Lets all complain about that they didn't all pitch a shutout and didn't make every play... lol.   IDK... I just think, its great to have such a young group and not have to see the overpaid soft guys that we had the previous half of decade ... Nnamdi, Carroll, the guy who missed camp because he was building a fireplace, the other guy who started opposite him who got burned by Dez all the time ... 5 years of that crap, I'm very thankful for a solid group of young guys who all play hard, have some decent talent and plenty of room to improve ... without us spending a ton of money on them.  

Use them all to their strengths behind a DL that should dominate ... and it will be fun.   Whoever starts I don't really care... they will get beat regardless of who it is and some will call for the guy off the bench to go in... already know it will happen.  But just win baby!   All that matters to me.  

12 minutes ago, stine said:

Just curious ... how many times did Mills fall for double moves?    Say its like 5 times.    How many games has he started in his career.   How is his red zone play.     

Nolan Carroll,  nnamdi .... fireplace guy .... Dez's b@tch ... remember 5 years of that crew?    Give me 4 of the green haired guys over that crew all day ... give me 4 of any of our guys over that crew all day.   

I am not going to argue about it but both Mills and Douglas run the same identical 40 times. Of course Douglas is taller and has a different skill set with "route recognition" being his best asset. He dropped in the draft due to his 40 time (4.60) I believe. You know the route recognition is there due to his knack for picks during his small sample size of starting. I always thought that Mills was the better tackler of the two in the open field however Douglas seems to be getting much better in the category with more playing time. Although I believe that Mills is a safety, I don't think we will find out due to this being the last year of his contract. As a player, I wouldn't want to move to safety in my last year and then go into free agency being considered as a tweener. You don't get paid that way. LOL  I say he either gets traded late (Maybe to the Jets) or stays with the club for his final year here and then moves on.

10 hours ago, joemas6 said:

Nobody hurt = great day in July.   Another 40-50 days of this before the season starts would be great!   

Another 6 months would be a perfect scenario!

Didn't know Mills and Douglas ran the same 40. Douglas sure looks faster, his route recognition helps there and in being able to jump routes. Lacking in these areas ( and not playing the ball ) leads Mills to fouls, which drives me nuts.

1 hour ago, 1wrangler said:

C'mon now! LOL  If you remember, only a couple of us had confidence in Douglas as well until this past year. Now everyone likes him. No doubt about it, You can't help your team if you are not on the field but if Jones fails to live up to expectations I want it to be blamed on his skill set and not his injuries. We have not seen enough of his skill set to make a good judgment.  Until I see him get beat like a drum on a regular basis like Mills, I am going to give him the benefit of the doubt.  It was only a small sample size but Jones was ranked number 1 in the nickel back position last year before his injury. It was also the only position that Schwartz would let him play man coverage as well which is his strong suit.  Jones never missed any time in college due to injuries so this is a recent phenomena. He has taken it upon himself to train differently this past year.

https://www.inquirer.com/eagles/sidney-jones-eagles-cornerback-training-washington-cougars-achilles-20190531.html

I'm holding out hope that Jones will play up to the level that he performed at while at Wash. U!

LOL, I was high on Douglas from the GET GO

1 hour ago, 1wrangler said:

That article was refreshing to read. Thanks for the link! What I have (had) the least amount of faith in Jones is related to more soft tissue injury. I know that football is a vicious sport and just because Jones had been sidelined times in the past doesn't mean it'll be a recurring thing. I just need/want to see some continuity with the lad. By what I read, it sounds like his new training regimen is paying dividends for him. Really hoping to see him shine in the PS and come week 1!

Soooooo,here's my take FWIW.NO team has top players at every spot.If you look at the SB year and last year(we suffered due to many key injuries) and ask yourself is this team better I get a resounding YES.Even if the defense is "as good" we have many more weapons on offense.We plugged the "holes" we had such as getting a DEEP threat we didn't have before.This is arguably the best overall RB room we have had in decades(maybe ever overall).We also now have a 1/2 punch at TE.Instead of teams keying on Ertz,they now have to contend with a solid Goedert,who just keeps getting better.Sounds to me like Jones is ready to roll,should be a BIG improvement at least on one side of the secondary. Wentz looks ready. Sproles is taking the young defensive players behind the woodshed, and teaching the young RB's how to do the same.When he hangs up the cleats,we would be foolish not to add Sproles to our coaching staff.Dillard should gain valuable experience and can perhaps spell JP more and more as the year progresses.Barnett should now help the pass rush rotation.If we don't make post season with a team like this,it's not because we got beat,it's because we beat ourselves

OH and BTW Wentz will be my fantasy QB.Keep your so called "elite" guys.I'll snag Wentz later in the draft and beat you with him.He simply has too may weapons to throw to and once again arguably we have the potential to be one of the best RZ teams in the league.Just EXECUTE baby!!!

I am looking forward to seeing this team with 1st and 10 on the opponents 15.Imagine now you are the oppositions defensive coordinator. Look what you are facing!!! Howard/Sanders,Sproles,Ertz,Goedert,AG,Alshon and we could even see DJAx pulled in this scenario in favor of JJaw/Hollins.GL calling your defense HAHAHAHAHA

Also loving the fact we are considered "boring".We have no drama,no issues to report on, and I like it that way.Blue collar,role up your sleeves and git 'er done.our "statement" will be made on the field of play(and I like it that way too)

Save the drama for yo mama!   No news til September is fine with me. 

6  CBs that know they can play... 6 CBs that know they could sit on the bench.  6 CBs that really haven't gotten paid yet.    Time to go to work young fellas!  Let's see who wants it!

I must be getting old and not paying attention as much because I didn't know that Bradham had surgery after the season. Will he be ready to go or not? It could get interesting if he isn't.

6 minutes ago, joemas6 said:

6  CBs that know they can play... 6 CBs that know they could sit on the bench.  6 CBs that really haven't gotten paid yet.    Time to go to work young fellas!  Let's see who wants it!

Yep! Even if you are on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.

41 minutes ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

Soooooo,here's my take FWIW.NO team has top players at every spot.If you look at the SB year and last year(we suffered due to many key injuries) and ask yourself is this team better I get a resounding YES.Even if the defense is "as good" we have many more weapons on offense.We plugged the "holes" we had such as getting a DEEP threat we didn't have before.This is arguably the best overall RB room we have had in decades(maybe ever overall).We also now have a 1/2 punch at TE.Instead of teams keying on Ertz,they now have to contend with a solid Goedert,who just keeps getting better.Sounds to me like Jones is ready to roll,should be a BIG improvement at least on one side of the secondary. Wentz looks ready. Sproles is taking the young defensive players behind the woodshed, and teaching the young RB's how to do the same.When he hangs up the cleats,we would be foolish not to add Sproles to our coaching staff.Dillard should gain valuable experience and can perhaps spell JP more and more as the year progresses.Barnett should now help the pass rush rotation.If we don't make post season with a team like this,it's not because we got beat,it's because we beat ourselves

Great post GB!!! I agreed with the entirety.

13 minutes ago, 1wrangler said:

I must be getting old and not paying attention as much because I didn't know that Bradham had surgery after the season. Will he be ready to go or not? It could get interesting if he isn't.

Bradham said that he has no time table/not sure when he'll be ready. It's on the thread that DC posted yesterday: training camp day 1……something of the sort……I believe on page 799 or 800

From Lane Johnson:

" Gonna be some big f'n things from Josh Sweat this year.

44 minutes ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

Barnett should now help the pass rush rotation.If we don't make post season with a team like this,it's not because we got beat,it's because we beat ourselves

I don't know how many of you watched much of Barnett at Tennessee however, the reason he broke all of Reggie White's sack records is because he was rotated across the defensive line a lot. What caught my eye was how effective he was coming from the DT position. Of course this is the NFL and that was college but the kid really had the stamina to play the whole game. He was just as fresh in the 4th quarter as he was in the first. Cox has more plays then some and I believe Barnett can be the same way in the DE position. Of course he has to stay healthy to prove it.

3 hours ago, joemas6 said:

Just curious ... how many times did Mills fall for double moves?    Say its like 5 times.    How many games has he started in his career.   How is his red zone play.     

Nolan Carroll,  nnamdi .... fireplace guy .... Dez's b@tch ... remember 5 years of that crew?    Give me 4 of the green haired guys over that crew all day ... give me 4 of any of our guys over that crew all day.   

Stop it Joe. I am not going to watch every game to give you every instance he got beat. This is no secret so why are you defending him. Even the announcers and the NFL network pointed this out during the season last year. Mills sucks. My opinion. I don't care what others think.

You think Mills is OK. Fine. I think he sucks and hope he never gets to see a down. I love the others and think all of them are better than Mills...