DaveSpadaro

[News] Early Thinking On Some Roster Battles To Watch

3 hours ago, 1wrangler said:

Stine, We may never know if Mills would have been a great safety in our lineup. I have been saying since he got here that safety is his position. He is a good tackler and plays well in a crowd like down in the red zone. Obviously I am not a talent scout but I see things differently than others at times.

Maybe he would. I really do not know Wrang. Just keep him from playing outside, please......

29 minutes ago, Don Corleone said:

Don, Wouldn't playing guard put a greater toll on his knees? The Eagles pull Kelce and the guards allot no? I would think that would be an issue...

51 minutes ago, Don Corleone said:

Alot of us figured this and got bashed.Could easily see Peters even taking some G snaps later in the season when Dillard is in.Hey if the guy can play G at 55,let him

Hey Wrang - we all had that stamina in our 20's!

I am a bit surprised as to how quiet it's been RE; Jenkins wanting more money - what happened?

25 minutes ago, stine said:

Don, Wouldn't playing guard put a greater toll on his knees? The Eagles pull Kelce and the guards allot no? I would think that would be an issue...

Hmmm well what IF we rotated G's and put Peters in on Pass plays where he just needs to stand there and stop the pass rush? Of course this would tip defenses also so IDK

3 minutes ago, mjkline1958 said:

I am a bit surprised as to how quiet it's been RE; Jenkins wanting more money - what happened?

Jeffrey must have made some promises.... He and Jenkins are buddies lol

33 minutes ago, Don Corleone said:

Whenever I read something like this I guess the human nature in me tries to figure out the motivation to keep playing since it is always tougher to stay in shape or get into shape with each passing year. Jason is financially set even if he doesn't make another dollar the rest of his life. He is a lock to be in the Hall of Fame so I would think that neither of those two things play into his wanting to continue playing. I guess it could be the core players on this team seem like family and walking away from family is always hard to do. The only other thing I can think of is being a major part of another Super Bowl. He technically has a Super Bowl win however I would have to believe that a guy like Peters wants to make a major contribution to the next one. Any other reasons????

6 minutes ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

Alot of us figured this and got bashed.Could easily see Peters even taking some G snaps later in the season when Dillard is in.Hey if the guy can play G at 55,let him

So slide him inside and have him play a position he's never played, yeah, I'm not comfortable with that. It's different if they get him reps inside during camp, but to just move him inside during a game and put a rookie LT outside, no thank you.

Peters is also under contract through the 2019 season, realistically, with his age and injury issues, how long are you going to sign him to an extension?

15 minutes ago, Don Corleone said:

So slide him inside and have him play a position he's never played, yeah, I'm not comfortable with that. It's different if they get him reps inside during camp, but to just move him inside during a game and put a rookie LT outside, no thank you.

Peters is also under contract through the 2019 season, realistically, with his age and injury issues, how long are you going to sign him to an extension?

I said "as the season progressed" not starting game 1

17 minutes ago, 1wrangler said:

Whenever I read something like this I guess the human nature in me tries to figure out the motivation to keep playing since it is always tougher to stay in shape or get into shape with each passing year. Jason is financially set even if he doesn't make another dollar the rest of his life. He is a lock to be in the Hall of Fame so I would think that neither of those two things play into his wanting to continue playing. I guess it could be the core players on this team seem like family and walking away from family is always hard to do. The only other thing I can think of is being a major part of another Super Bowl. He technically has a Super Bowl win however I would have to believe that a guy like Peters wants to make a major contribution to the next one. Any other reasons????

Because you love the game? You could say the same things about the Rolling Stones,but they are still out there touring in their 70's lol

3 hours ago, mjkline1958 said:

Didn't know Mills and Douglas ran the same 40. Douglas sure looks faster, his route recognition helps there and in being able to jump routes. Lacking in these areas ( and not playing the ball ) leads Mills to fouls, which drives me nuts.

LA burnt him as Did Dallas and NO that I can remember. But the one that sticks out in my head was Minnesota. Both darby and I think Maddox were tight on their men but Mills was like 10 yards back on a 3rd down play. The guy pulls a double move and Mills bites. 60+ yards.... Why did he play that big a cushion? Was it a mental error? Welp, they probably would have had a sack had he been in tight like the other 2. I am sorry. I won't rattle about this anymore. I know some like his play. I will say he does great in the red Zone. Of course there is no room for a double move there tho.....

18 minutes ago, Don Corleone said:

Yeah about the extension.I suppose if he did this it would be understood as a year to year signing.I don't know that I would do it any other way

5 minutes ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

I said "as the season progressed" not starting game 1

Yeah, I'm well aware of what you said. I also never suggested game 1. Try reading.

You're still talking about putting someone inside at LG that's never played the position before, it doesn't matter if it's Week 1 or Week 12. So you want to rely on a rookie at LT protecting Wentz's blindside with JP at LG never playing that position.

Again, pass, unless they put JP in at LG during TC and possibly some preseason work so that he can get accustomed to playing inside.

14 minutes ago, Don Corleone said:

Yeah, I'm well aware of what you said. I also never suggested game 1. Try reading.

You're still talking about putting someone inside at LG that's never played the position before, it doesn't matter if it's Week 1 of Week 12. So you want to rely on a rookie at LT protecting Wentz's blindside with JP at LG never playing that position.

Again, pass, unless they put JP in a LG during TC and possibly some preseason work so that he can get accustomed to playing inside.

They could try him out during weekly practices.if he can't cut it NP,but they may give him the op

15 minutes ago, Don Corleone said:

You're still talking about putting someone inside at LG that's never played the position before, it doesn't matter if it's Week 1 of Week 12. So you want to rely on a rookie at LT protecting Wentz's blindside with JP at LG never playing that position.

Again, pass, unless they put JP in a LG during TC and possibly some preseason work so that he can get accustomed to playing inside.

JP mentioned he would play at G,so ask him

4 hours ago, stine said:

Joe Osteman seemed to have bulked up this off season. I heard he put on 20 lbs of muscle and is pushing for playing time, which is welcome. This guy may surprise allot of people...

I read somewhere in the last two weeks that Joe Douglas likes Ostemon and would like to trade the Eagles for him. Not sure who the Jets have that the Eagles would want though. LOL Offensive linemen and CB's are the big need for the Jets.

I'm hoping we can get big leads in games and allow more "garbage time".This would help Suds and Dillard amongst others.Dillard would protect your #2 QB,not Wentz.I'd like to see this OFTEN lol 

20 minutes ago, mjkline1958 said:

I say he gets paid although I don't know the cap space remaining. Schwartz said in his news conference that Jenkins played 7 different positions in one game last year. I still believe he has lost a step but that versatility counts for something. Plus he is a leader as well.

19 minutes ago, mjkline1958 said:

Gnats looking for a WR - Corey Coleman ACL

Sterling messed up his thumb also.Should be NP,then again.....

25 minutes ago, mjkline1958 said:

Gnats looking for a WR - Corey Coleman ACL

IMO teams will be teeing off on Eli. In a way(a sick kind of way) I feel bad for him..1 WR,1 RB is your offense. This is gonna end ugly for the Gnats

1 hour ago, stine said:

Stop it Joe. I am not going to watch every game to give you every instance he got beat. This is no secret so why are you defending him. Even the announcers and the NFL network pointed this out during the season last year. Mills sucks. My opinion. I don't care what others think.

You think Mills is OK. Fine. I think he sucks and hope he never gets to see a down. I love the others and think all of them are better than Mills...

Sure... but you think McCloud sucks too ... .as you said last year that they wouldn't miss him.... obviously proven wrong there on the back end.  

My point.... the standard is higher now .... yes, I think all our guys are pretty good ... Yes I think all those guys mentioned before stunk. 

I don't care who wins the job, they all have strengths and weaknesses... If Jalen Mills or anyone else we have is considered your weak link on D... then our D is pretty good.    Which I think it is.   

50 minutes ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

Because you love the game? You could say the same things about the Rolling Stones,but they are still out there touring in their 70's lol

LOL I think the Stones are still touring for the same reasons I bought a street rod. For the natural psychological elevation and staying young at heart. I also can't rule out that Mick & Keith still attract babes like steel to a magnet. 

JP I would have to say is love for the game, the thrill and a second family.

51 minutes ago, stine said:

LA burnt him as Did Dallas and NO that I can remember. But the one that sticks out in my head was Minnesota. Both darby and I think Maddox were tight on their men but Mills was like 10 yards back on a 3rd down play. The guy pulls a double move and Mills bites. 60+ yards.... Why did he play that big a cushion? Was it a mental error? Welp, they probably would have had a sack had he been in tight like the other 2. I am sorry. I won't rattle about this anymore. I know some like his play. I will say he does great in the red Zone. Of course there is no room for a double move there tho.....

Right ... again, all those plays ... like one month for the group that was here before ... that's my point.   I'm sure there were other CBs that got beat on 5 plays last year.  5 bog plays even ... guys who give up TDs...etc.    That's just my point... any of our guy IMO could help us win the SB... some have already proven it.    My thing is keeping the DL frsh and healthy.   The cause, not the effect.