DaveSpadaro

[News] Early Thinking On Some Roster Battles To Watch

20 minutes ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

Yeah,like I said,if he's any semblance of his former self-LOOK OUT

I was excited to acquire him, and still excited we did and can’t wait to see him ball out.  Nagy is gonna look foolish.

32 minutes ago, downundermike said:

I was excited to acquire him, and still excited we did and can’t wait to see him ball out.  Nagy is gonna look foolish.

Sounds like a plan to me!!!

Interesting thing.I started to peruse WAY Early fantasy drafts.Most Don't draft the Eagles defense at ALL.I will gladly snag them with a late round pick.Once again we are being "underdogged" and will consider that one of the draft day steals lol

On 7/26/2019 at 2:59 PM, stine said:

LA burnt him as Did Dallas and NO that I can remember. But the one that sticks out in my head was Minnesota. Both darby and I think Maddox were tight on their men but Mills was like 10 yards back on a 3rd down play. The guy pulls a double move and Mills bites. 60+ yards.... Why did he play that big a cushion? Was it a mental error? Welp, they probably would have had a sack had he been in tight like the other 2. I am sorry. I won't rattle about this anymore. I know some like his play. I will say he does great in the red Zone. Of course there is no room for a double move there tho.....

It is a complicated issue. Mills is a great tackler. That’s crucial in this defense(more than most schemes). He also is excellent in the redzone. This you freely admit. Bend but don’t break. Motto and philosophy. He fits that to a T. You can’t ever question his effort either. He bleeds green all the way. And then there is his contract. He plays hard, doesn’t complain and all under a very affordable contract for a starting corner. So then it comes down to your complaint of a double move. I can’t argue against you. You’re right. Spot on. But like I began...it’s complicated. It’s setups by the offense of slants and outs....then they hit you with the double move. Mills isn’t fantastic but I can live with him overall. I would like to have another player step up and force hi to the bench. Great position for us to be would be having Mills as the BACKUP corner. That’s why I wouldn’t want to trade him for peanuts. He’s valuable to us. First it forces someone to earn the job beating him out. Secondly he’s a very good backup option.

Tackling's all well and good. Preventing the catch, maybe even playing the ball for an INT - much better.

1 hour ago, mjkline1958 said:

Tackling's all well and good. Preventing the catch, maybe even playing the ball for an INT - much better.

I'll take any of these

LOL The last cornerback the Eagles had that made the pro bowl (2008, 2009, 2010) was Asante Samuel and he had to be one of the worst tacklers I have ever seen. Just goes to show you that the pro bowl voters aren't looking for hard at that category when choosing pro bowl CB's. Interceptions and pass breakup's must be the deciding factored. As I recall, Dieon Sanders was a lousy tackler as well.

40 minutes ago, 1wrangler said:

LOL The last cornerback the Eagles had that made the pro bowl (2008, 2009, 2010) was Asante Samuel and he had to be one of the worst tacklers I have ever seen. Just goes to show you that the pro bowl voters aren't looking for hard at that category when choosing pro bowl CB's. Interceptions and pass breakup's must be the deciding factored. As I recall, Dieon Sanders was a lousy tackler as well.

PBU's matter most to me. Tackle and run support are right up there though. But what I'd rather see the most is knocking the ball away to prevent the huge gains. INT's are a cherry on top. 

Allowing a reception means someone didn't do their job. Defenders need to be coached to track and play the ball. That's not always going to happen, that's where tackling comes in, after a completion was allowed.

Are you fans familiar with the author from section 215? He is enthusiastically wild over wanting the Eagles to sign Robert Nkemdiche. 

3 hours ago, mjkline1958 said:

Allowing a reception means someone didn't do their job. Defenders need to be coached to track and play the ball. That's not always going to happen, that's where tackling comes in, after a completion was allowed.

In Schwartz system tackling comes in to play more than any other defense I’ve known, for corners. But one area is run support. Corners have to tackle and protect those edges.  And hey, every defense has its weaknesses. So not every completion is the corners fault. Everybody has responsibilities. And the offense tries to expose those as much as possible. But it seems the simpler the defense we play...the faster the defenders can react. And these guys get used to week in and week out teams attacking them similarly with identical game plans. Also the simple D allows backups to contribute much quicker.

If you are in Cover 3 you can’t let the defender over the top. So giving up underneath completions is a given. Gus Bradley, Pete Carroll and Schwartz all run their own versions. 

On 7/27/2019 at 11:46 AM, mjkline1958 said:

Eagles bringing in former cowpie Scandrick for a look;

https://www.bleedinggreennation.com/2019/7/27/8932896/orlando-scandrick-eagles-cornerback-cowboys-redskins-crevon-leblanc-injury-news-roster-workout-nfl?utm_campaign=bleedinggreennation&utm_content=chorus&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter

Bringing Brown in for camp was one thing, Scandrick's another. Sounds like we're not satisfied w/ the CB room

It worries me more about the severity of LeBlanc’s injury. But he isn’t any serious signing to me. Scandrick is just a needed camp body to play the slot so Jenkins doesn’t have to cover for that position too much.

Two interesting things about Jeff Stoutland. He doesn't think any college player is ready to start in the NFL right away no matter where they are drafted and he wasn't initially on board with drafting Dillard. Read for yourself this interesting article on the man.

https://www.inquirer.com/eagles/eagles-training-camp-andre-dillard-jeff-stoutland-jason-peters-offensive-line-20190724.html

This is what I want to see from Jones in the regular season! And I'm confident we may if he can stay healthy. 🤞 His INT from Sat's TC:

"It was a run fake, the receiver downblocked, and I thought he was going to block Malcolm (Jenkins),” Jones said. "So that's my key to shoot for the run. But it was a fake, so I noticed it like a second late. He (Mack Hollins) got downfield and I’m chasing him. I didn't panic. I stayed calm, turned my head, found the ball, and then used my ball skills from there.”

3 hours ago, 1wrangler said:

Two interesting things about Jeff Stoutland. He doesn't think any college player is ready to start in the NFL right away no matter where they are drafted and he wasn't initially on board with drafting Dillard. Read for yourself this interesting article on the man.

https://www.inquirer.com/eagles/eagles-training-camp-andre-dillard-jeff-stoutland-jason-peters-offensive-line-20190724.html

Thanks Wrang! Interesting 'insider' read. I liked hearing that Stoutland feels assured in Dillard's run blocking even after not having the ability to spend time with the young L-man the way he would've liked. 

32 minutes ago, EaglesTD123 said:

This is what I want to see from Jones in the regular season! And I'm confident we may if he can stay healthy. 🤞 His INT from Sat's TC:

Great that he intercepted it but....it sounded like he was beat like a drum giving up a huge play that the QB made an absolutely terrible throw on. 

2 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

Great that he intercepted it but....it sounded like he was beat like a drum giving up a huge play that the QB made an absolutely terrible throw on. 

Yes, he did bite on the run fake. But I like that Jones didn't panic and was able to catch up on the play. This is part of the learning process. Even though he's going into his third season, I view it as his second season. Things should begin to click for Jones in the near future.  

The Stout interview I took differently than you two(Wrangler and TD) did. Wrang I didn’t get that Stout wasn’t ‘on board’ with picking Dillard. He felt Dillard was out of reach and hadn’t properly vetted him because of his draft value being top 15. And TD assured about Dillard’s run blocking isn’t quite the take I got. But he doesn’t believe in that he can’t do it just because he hadn’t done it. I did get that:Stout loves how he moves. And he loves the attitude and coachability of the kid. He has ability and is willing to work at it ...while taking tough criticism. 

1 minute ago, EaglesTD123 said:

Yes, he did bite on the run fake. But I like that Jones didn't panic and was able to catch up on the play. This is part of the learning process. Even though he's going into his third season, I view it as his second season. Things should begin to click for Jones in the near future.  

But did he catch up on the play? Sounds like he was toasted. And it sounds like a terrible throw by the QB. In a real game...he would have given up a huge play biting on the fake. Like I said ...glad he caught it. Seems more like a negative mark on the QB though. How do you miss on a guy that open? Just got to lay that ball out there. Can’t miss that kind of opportunity.

9 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

And TD assured about Dillard’s run blocking isn’t quite the take I got.

I also grasped that Stout felt secure about Dillard's football IQ after the face call. Even though he didn't get to go through the normal pace of the pre-draft process. 

Basically instead of getting pumped on Jones I have concerns with Suds deep ball ability. Not sounding very good. Thorson and Kessler don’t get me excited...heck I’m scared to think of them actually having to play. So Suds needs to step up. He’s been in the system long enough that he should be looking good. Too early to make any real judgements though...didn’t they just put on pads? 

7 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

But did he catch up on the play? Sounds like he was toasted. And it sounds like a terrible throw by the QB. In a real game...he would have given up a huge play biting on the fake. Like I said ...glad he caught it. Seems more like a negative mark on the QB though. How do you miss on a guy that open? Just got to lay that ball out there. Can’t miss that kind of opportunity.

LOL IDK, wasn't there. Jones just says, "I stayed calm, turned my head, found the ball." So who knows? Someone fill us in lol. Inquiring minds wanna know! Maybe it was an errant throw???

I do like how they reportedly are getting Adams involved in the passing game. He’s going to need to be able to do something in this area to make the team. Just doesn’t have any experience...so he needs the reps. He also needs to be reliable in pass pro.