DaveSpadaro

[News] Early Thinking On Some Roster Battles To Watch

Recommended Posts

• After practice, Wentz was asked a good question about his tendency to stay in the pocket throughout camp, which Wentz downplayed as a conscious thing that he or the team is doing. I agree with the reporter's (Dave Zangaro's?) notion that he has not often looked to make plays on the run this year, like he has in previous training camps. I'm not sure if there's anything to make of that or not at this point, but it's worth filing away, perhaps.     This is what I wanted to hear!!!!!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Don Corleone said:

Had this conversation in the Blog. According to OTC, the Eagles have $20,539,031 in current cap space, trading for Clowney would eat up $15,967,200 of that. That would leave them with about $4.6 million left, have to imagine they'd want to roll more than that over. They have to play him on his tag number this year, because the deadline to sign him to an extension has passed. They would have to wait until December 29th to begin negotiations on a long term deal. Just like with Le'Veon Bell last year.

Clowney has said he would like a contract that is of the range that Donald and Mack got.

This is on top of the compensation that would have to go back to the Texans.

Welp,there's a guy the Raiders have to be looking at

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

• After practice, Wentz was asked a good question about his tendency to stay in the pocket throughout camp, which Wentz downplayed as a conscious thing that he or the team is doing. I agree with the reporter's (Dave Zangaro's?) notion that he has not often looked to make plays on the run this year, like he has in previous training camps. I'm not sure if there's anything to make of that or not at this point, but it's worth filing away, perhaps.     This is what I wanted to hear!!!!!!!

I was considering posting that, then overlooked it. I did perceive it as a high possibility that Wentz is maturing and learning how to live for the next play though. I can't see how he didn't receive the perfect lesson watching from the sideline during SB LII. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Taken from DC's "Day 15 TC Updates":
 
@Bo_Wulf
 

***Miller was the aggressor, threw a punch at Dillard’s helmet. Jason Peters chirped at Miller. "Come on. We’re playing football, man.”

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And then it’s "go" time for Kessler, a third-round draft pick of Cleveland in 2016 who played for two seasons there, was traded to Jacksonville and played with the Jaguars in 2018, was cut by them when Nick Foles signed as an unrestricted free agent, and made his way here after Foles spoke so highly of the big picture in Philadelphia – the coaching staff, the quarterback room, the organizational culture, and the rabid fan base.

All of that appealed to Kessler, who knew he was heading to a quarterback situation that was stacked with Wentz and Sudfeld leading the way.

"It’s been everything I hoped it would be,” Kessler said. "Nick painted an accurate picture. This is a great organization and a city that loves its team.                                                                                                                                     Like Joe said,and I agree with,if you take care of your players as best you can,there is "good karma" you get back.I would love to see Kessler perform to his potential.Being in Cleveville and Jax didn't really do much for his educational development.I hope that changes with this organization.Guys now WANT to play here.Forget the home team discounts,the OUTSIDE players want to come here and some "stars" will even accept less pay to do it.All the "culture" work has been paying off since 2017.Right now as a TOTAL package,I can't recall a better team than this one. Even our #2 and #3 guys could start somewhere else,that's how good this team is. Our fan base is the BEST IN THE NFL bar NONE,you can argue all you want.but you'll lose.I see no quit in this team,but for me something changed this year.I am personally seeing a team thats hungry,relentless,intense,DRIVEN if you will.Something that for me seemed lacking a few games last year.I'm seeing players come in and showing an immediate impact,even in a BU role.Guys like Perkins who's shining now that he has a chance and Scandrick,who will just get better as he gets more acclimated.Guys like Jones showing us why we drafted him.Sanders a possible starting role despite the thought he would "sit" this year.He's not taking no for an answer.DIllard playing tough and PO'ing our own players,which will only make both better.This is the drive I sometimes didn't see before.Wentz is healthy,Wentz is SMARTER now.All this my fellow birdheads will lead us again to the SB.Although biased,I am also a realist(if nothing else) and so I will make my call right now.We stay healthy,or as much as we can and you can book your tickets to the SB. I have never felt more confident in the team than I do now!! EVER!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Due to all of the above,my thoughts are other teams will be watching with intensity to the players we are forced to release.Many Many MANY tough decisions forthcoming.Going to be some pain for us,but we can't keep them all,but the final 53 should be the best team we have ever seen as fans

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, EaglesTD123 said:

I was considering posting that, then overlooked it. I did perceive it as a high possibility that Wentz is maturing and learning how to live for the next play though. I can't see how he didn't receive the perfect lesson watching from the sideline during SB LII. 

IDK... do you think he ran out of the pocket a lot last year???? I thought he took a ton of shots because he stayed in the pocket last year???    

But imagine... a guy "maturing" as he gets older .... what a concept????  LOL

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

Due to all of the above,my thoughts are other teams will be watching with intensity to the players we are forced to release.Many Many MANY tough decisions forthcoming.Going to be some pain for us,but we can't keep them all,but the final 53 should be the best team we have ever seen as fans

As it should be.   Good players should be cut.   The NFL is supposed to be the best of the best.  That's it.  That's why its another world than Saturday football.   Sorry... but its real life.  The almost good enough ... is still not good enough.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, joemas6 said:

IDK... do you think he ran out of the pocket a lot last year????

As far as memory recall his poise and persistence in the pocket increased. However, I'm not sure how much if anything had to do with his knee and back after having hindsight. If he had been 100% healthy would he have broken contain and make more plays with his legs? IDK

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, EaglesTD123 said:

As far as memory recall his poise and persistence in the pocket increased. However, I'm not sure how much if anything had to do with his knee and back after having hindsight. If he had been 100% healthy would he have broken contain and make more plays with his legs? IDK

I hope we have the O line so we don't need to find out lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

I hope we have the O line so we don't need to find out lol

The only prob I can see with that is health with the starters being up in the air; as always. Beyond that, yes, I hope we don't have to find out. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Phillip Daniels was originally hired by the Eagles during the 2016 offseason as the team’s defensive quality control/assistant defensive line coach and now takes over as the team’s defensive line coach. Via PE.com

  Where did he come from? Amazing rise! Yet it’s not a scary question mark filled ascension. He more than seems ready for the job. His Dline is going to wreck havoc! Took a tough injury hit, in a hidden gem of a rusher, in Ostman. But then we see next man up in Hall’s dominant performance. Got Ridgeway getting in the backfield. Hester both at Dline and ST(block that kick, baby!). Hector making some plays and playing Stout(hehe couldn’t resist). This is the bottom of the roster guys at their position. These are the tough cuts. And an obvious source for teams to be calling about trading for. So Daniels even added value to the whole organization with adding trade bait. Daniels has seamlessly transitioned into position. That might be an understatement. Since it feels like an upgrade. That this coach is on a meteoric rise. All the way up to running our defense in a few years type skyrocketing. The hidden gem wasn’t as much Ostman as it was this coach.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, EaglesTD123 said:

As far as memory recall his poise and persistence in the pocket increased. However, I'm not sure how much if anything had to do with his knee and back after having hindsight. If he had been 100% healthy would he have broken contain and make more plays with his legs? IDK

To me it seemed he could have escaped and took less hits ... within the pocket.... I'm not really concerneed with him running outside the pocket due to a fluke play 2 years ago.   It is what it is.  He'll run less and take less hits as he gets more experience... its what usually happens.  I don't expect any different, only reason for that is thinking Wentz is pretty dumb.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

Took a tough injury hit, in a hidden gem of a rusher, in Ostman. But then we see next man up in Hall’s dominant performance.

Yeah.. the injuries to the number 4 pass rushers are always tough!   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the DL is great .... not sure why you are mentioning all the guys who will barely play though????   Cox, Jackson, Graham, Barnett, Curry, Jernigan.... pretty impressive top 6 right there.  That pretty much makes the position a plus compared to the rest of the league... those 6 will play when it counts.  The other guys may combine for 15 snaps a game.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The NFL went to 16 games in 1978 .... since then 4 Eagles QBs have played the whole season

Jaworski   5 times

McNabb 4 times

Randall 3 times 

Wentz ...once.

13 times total in 41 seasons.    Very unusual.   I guess its why we obsess about the backup QB like no other fan base.  Hopefully #11 ends that mentality with a consistent run of MVP type level performance that enables us to contend for a while.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, joemas6 said:

I think the DL is great .... not sure why you are mentioning all the guys who will barely play though????   Cox, Jackson, Graham, Barnett, Curry, Jernigan.... pretty impressive top 6 right there.  That pretty much makes the position a plus compared to the rest of the league... those 6 will play when it counts.  The other guys may combine for 15 snaps a game.  

Well that’s where we really ALL see it. His unit has been getting pressure. Transforming good to great players into elite status. I’m not really including Curry in this. He’s experienced and trusted....not the impressive or elite. And all leaving out the fourth DE in Sweat. The obviously next man up. But when talking about a phenomenal coaching job I felt it important to recognize how everybody(down to the sixth string DE) are responding to the coaching...and performing. Getting Cox to his top rushing season is one thing. Great job, no doubt. But seeing the whole unit engaged really tellsmore of the story behind the man.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, cunninghamtheman said:

Well that’s where we really ALL see it. His unit has been getting pressure. Transforming good to great players into elite status. I’m not really including Curry in this. He’s experienced and trusted....not the impressive or elite. And all leaving out the fourth DE in Sweat. The obviously next man up. But when talking about a phenomenal coaching job I felt it important to recognize how everybody(down to the sixth string DE) are responding to the coaching...and performing. Getting Cox to his top rushing season is one thing. Great job, no doubt. But seeing the whole unit engaged really tellsmore of the story behind the man.

I gotta be honest... I'm not seeing anything myself.   They haven't played a real game in 7 months.   I can't say anyone is doing a good job yet, let alone the 3rd stringers?    

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And like I said, having six capable DT affords is many benefits. The obvious being really tough choices at cutdown day. That’s what you want. The goal is creating competition. But also he’s given Rosie tools. These bottom three DT could be starting for somebody. So he generated some trade bait. Hector, Heystor and Ridgeway didn’t really cost us much, if anything, to acquire.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

And like I said, having six capable DT affords is many benefits. The obvious being really tough choices at cutdown day. That’s what you want. The goal is creating competition. But also he’s given Rosie tools. These bottom three DT could be starting for somebody. So he generated some trade bait. Hector, Heystor and Ridgeway didn’t really cost us much, if anything, to acquire.

?????  These bottom 3 DTs could be starting for somebody???????    How do we know this????    This is why you have me so confused?   Is there game action I am missing right now????  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, joemas6 said:

I'm not really concerneed with him running outside the pocket due to a fluke play 2 years ago. 

I thought that was a good decision by Wentz to take it in himself against the Rams. It just so happened it turned out to be one of those freak accidents that occur. Simply looking for Carson to mature which it looks like he is doing. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Isn't this DL coach in his first season at the position ... where he hasn't coached in a real game yet .... but we know all ths about how great he is?    

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now