DaveSpadaro

[News] Early Thinking On Some Roster Battles To Watch

1 hour ago, cunninghamtheman said:

So I guess he did play a little offense. But still feel the same point. 

Whad'ya mean 'Still feel the same point?' He was playing WR. One reception, two targets. He didn't show enough or didn't get a chance to show much? I'm leaning towards the former. 

McCown should be a good pick up. Never a hint of controversy and if he can't cut it he'll be gone on cut day.

Brandon Lee Gowton‏Verified account @BrandonGowton

Doug Pederson says Brandon Brooks still hasn’t been officially cleared to do team drills.

Eagles will be practicing in pads against the Ravens. No live tackling though.

Doug Pederson wouldn’t say if Nate Sudfeld or Josh McCown is the No. 2 QB, says the Eagles signed Josh McCown not only because of Sudfeld and Kessler injuries but to add more value and depth and competition at QB.

47 minutes ago, mjkline1958 said:

Brandon Lee Gowton‏Verified account @BrandonGowton

Doug Pederson says Brandon Brooks still hasn’t been officially cleared to do team drills.

Eagles will be practicing in pads against the Ravens. No live tackling though.

Doug Pederson wouldn’t say if Nate Sudfeld or Josh McCown is the No. 2 QB, says the Eagles signed Josh McCown not only because of Sudfeld and Kessler injuries but to add more value and depth and competition at QB.

I keep coming back to hopefully it doesn’t matter who the #2 guy is this year and Wentz plays every game....McCown just being in the QB room with 17 years of exp. should be a boost to Wentz/Suds....

Only time I want to see a backup QB in this year is garbage time and we have a massive lead....In this scenario I would fully expect the reps go to Suds 

18 hours ago, cunninghamtheman said:

Trying to figure out how Hollins is playing ST but not WR?

Hollins better watch,he may be out of a job soon

17 hours ago, cunninghamtheman said:

Braxton got 25 snaps and was just cut

No shock,game 1 pre you usually play alot of the guys you are considering cutting to give them one more chance to prove you wrong.And so I say once again Hollins job could be in jeopardy

5 hours ago, ASG15 said:

McCown should be a good pick up. Never a hint of controversy and if he can't cut it he'll be gone on cut day.

Like Suds,but the injury came at a rotten time for him.Similar to Foles in that McCown is more of a game manager type.I'm not sorry we brought him in,we can't forego practices because we have noone to throw to the receivers,and in a game pinch McCown has been there,he can win that game that Wentz(god forbid) goes out in.And as I said before,maybe Suds injury was a fluke,but what if it's not? Nice to have that insurance policy if his wrist issues continue to haunt him.I view this as a CYA signing 

1 hour ago, BleedingGreen93 said:

Only time I want to see a backup QB in this year is garbage time and we have a massive lead....In this scenario I would fully expect the reps go to Suds 

IMO depends.Is this game Wentz goes out in game 14? If so, I fully expect to see McCown.After 2 months should not be much rust,but he needs to get into the groove of our system.Suds already knows it.Therefore I would tend to disagree and think McCown gets that garbage time.If Wentz gets hurt either way we will have to alter our play book to suit either one

13 minutes ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

IMO depends.Is this game Wentz goes out in game 14? If so, I fully expect to see McCown.After 2 months should not be much rust,but he needs to get into the groove of our system.Suds already knows it.Therefore I would tend to disagree and think McCown gets that garbage time.If Wentz gets hurt either way we will have to alter our play book to suit either one

My view is different on why I lean toward Suds in that scenario and to put it simply just to get him actual game exp. McCown is the 17 year vet he doesn’t need it

I see Sweat has his knee issue going on...out day to day. Is that knee manageable enough to get through a season? Sure hope so but that’s why he fell to where he did in the draft.

1 hour ago, BleedingGreen93 said:

My view is different on why I lean toward Suds in that scenario and to put it simply just to get him actual game exp. McCown is the 17 year vet he doesn’t need it

Gotta learn the system/plays, as well as establish chemistry with people you have never played with,they are all different

Do a draft at 7 PM,so I did another practice. I drafted from the 12 spot.Must be rooks in there lmao QB's- Brees/Rivers RB's-Chubb,Freeman,Michel,Harris(Sonys handcuff both reserves lol) WR-Hill,Boyd,Landry,Djax,Preston Williams(raves from the Miami camp) TE-Kittle,D-Eagles K-Gould.I hope it goes this way at 7 PM lol .Not bad drafting dead last.BTW Wentz got picked 2 spots before mine-UGH-but I'll settle for Brees  

Totally forgot about it but at least McCown and Jeffery has a great connection way back when in 2013.....McCown started 5 games and in those 5 games Jeffery had 39 catches 561 yards 4 tds 

These cuts are going to be brutal.RB and WR especially. I believe we try to keep and many as possible rostered with more linemen on the PS than usual.Just a guess,but would make some sense to do it.5 RB's 6 WR's?(dress 4/5) Not the norm,then again we have never been this talented at those positions What does everyone else think? We have promising line guys,so that's why I feel the way I do.If Sanders and JJaw can emerge,then we are free to do what we want at those spots.This is only my opinion,I would like to hear other viewpoints.I would also keep OT's and DE's as much as possible as it seems those are the PS most poachable positions

Not really that tough GB. Pryor p'd me off enough to put him on PS. Hollins or Michel, who I think is worth developing but wouldn't last on the PS?  Wis just can't play C. We'll know the truth about some of these injuries in a few weeks when we see who goes to IR, who's on PUP. Roster's pretty much set.

I’m liking keeping Perkins. A fourth TE seems a bit much. But we seem to be leaning towards the 12 formation this year heavily. So keeping a fourth TE would work and could be useful. Perkins can also be a backup WR. He is great on ST also which makes it a quality move for a guy that can dress as part of the 45 each week.

5 hours ago, BleedingGreen93 said:

Totally forgot about it but at least McCown and Jeffery has a great connection way back when in 2013.....McCown started 5 games and in those 5 games Jeffery had 39 catches 561 yards 4 tds 

Yeah BG, saw that. That's good news to have a possible #2 that's already used to knowing how to put it up high for AJ. 

DE Hall also does every phase of ST. And he’s been playing great. Such a good find. You can really tell he has been focused all offseason. Really pumped himself up to fit in this scheme. Added thirty pounds. Yet he didn’t lose his speed. Seems to me if you can actually earn a spot on the 53 then Hall makes the 53.

I’ve talked about the depth we have at DT. Definitely a hard cut position. I’ve been hoping we find a trade partner for one of our depth players at this position. Ridgeway with the concussion is hard to trade. Hector is more valuable to us than probably known throughout the league. So I’m thinking Hester is the guy to shop.