DaveSpadaro

[News] Early Thinking On Some Roster Battles To Watch

LBer room is tough. Alex Singleton has been playing good hard nosed football. Edwards I think can develop quickly. Fort you would think is locked in(other than the comp pick issue). Gerry is up and down. Smart player but not really translating into production. I’m really thinking I’d cut Gerry but that isn’t likely to happen. KGH being out definitely impacts the decision. Bradham trying to come back from injury also does. I’m hoping Edwards can hang on through PS and I keep Singleton. Really showing well on ST which is a must for the backup LB.

S seems cut and dry. Jenkins, McLeod, Sendejo and Cyprien. Sullivan hasn’t shown up. Hall isn’t going to jump up enough to make it. Countess already got snipped.

4 hours ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

These cuts are going to be brutal.RB and WR especially. I believe we try to keep and many as possible rostered with more linemen on the PS than usual.Just a guess,but would make some sense to do it.5 RB's 6 WR's?(dress 4/5) Not the norm,then again we have never been this talented at those positions What does everyone else think? We have promising line guys,so that's why I feel the way I do.If Sanders and JJaw can emerge,then we are free to do what we want at those spots.This is only my opinion,I would like to hear other viewpoints.I would also keep OT's and DE's as much as possible as it seems those are the PS most poachable positions

I'll just say there's gonna be tough decisions to make on back end of depth. And yes, keep as many T's & Edge as the rounding out of the roster will allow. Those are the tougher positions to find. I'm hoping our draft picks work out which looks as though the first 3 have a great chance to. I'd like to see the team be able to go early for LB in 2020. 

QB - Wentz, McCown, Suds (3)

RB - Howard, Sanders, Clement, Sproles, Smalls (5) 8

WR - AJ, D-Jax, Agh, JJAW, Hollins (5) 13

OL - JP, Seumalo, Kelce, Brooks, LJ, Big V, Dillard, Mailata, Pryor, (9) 22

TE - Ertz, Goedert, Rodgers, Perkins (4)  26

DE - BG, Barnett, Curry, Hall, Sweat, Miller (6)

DT - Fletch, Jackson, Jernigan, Hester (4) 10

LB - Bradham, KGH, Brown, Fort, Singleton (5) 15

CB - Darby, Maddox, Rasul, Jones, Scandrick (5) 20 LeBlanc IR 

SS - Jenkins, Cyprien (2) 22

FS - McLeod, Sendejo (2) 24

Elliot, Johnston, Lovato (3) 53

1 hour ago, cunninghamtheman said:

LBer room is tough. Alex Singleton has been playing good hard nosed football. Edwards I think can develop quickly. Fort you would think is locked in(other than the comp pick issue). Gerry is up and down. Smart player but not really translating into production. I’m really thinking I’d cut Gerry but that isn’t likely to happen. KGH being out definitely impacts the decision. Bradham trying to come back from injury also does. I’m hoping Edwards can hang on through PS and I keep Singleton. Really showing well on ST which is a must for the backup LB.

I'm thinking TJ to PS. How safe is he on there?

3 hours ago, mjkline1958 said:

Not really that tough GB. Pryor p'd me off enough to put him on PS. Hollins or Michel, who I think is worth developing but wouldn't last on the PS?  Wis just can't play C. We'll know the truth about some of these injuries in a few weeks when we see who goes to IR, who's on PUP. Roster's pretty much set.

Why won't it be tough at WR and RB?

23 minutes ago, EaglesTD123 said:

QB - Wentz, McCown, Suds (3)

RB - Howard, Sanders, Clement, Sproles, Smalls (5) 8

WR - AJ, D-Jax, Agh, JJAW, Hollins (5) 13

OL - JP, Seumalo, Kelce, Brooks, LJ, Big V, Dillard, Mailata, Pryor, (9) 22

TE - Ertz, Goedert, Rodgers, Perkins (4)  26

DE - BG, Barnett, Curry, Hall, Sweat, Miller (6)

DT - Fletch, Jackson, Jernigan, Hester (4) 10

LB - Bradham, KGH, Brown, Fort, Singleton (5) 15

CB - Darby, Maddox, Rasul, Jones, Scandrick (5) 20 LeBlanc IR 

SS - Jenkins, Cyprien (2) 22

FS - McLeod, Sendejo (2) 24

Elliot, Johnston, Lovato (3) 53

SO who's your BU center?

Just now, GreenbleedinFL said:

SO who's your BU center?

Seumalo. Big V-->OG

15 minutes ago, EaglesTD123 said:

Yes to both at respected BU positions

IDK I'd rather have a C that specializes in being a C,not G's,but whatever 

1 minute ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

Who was the backup C last year?

Just now, GreenbleedinFL said:

IDC about last year

Sure... but it tells you how they think if you pay attention.   Because .... its really not about what YOU care about ... as far as when it comes to finalizing the 53.   you follow?  

18 minutes ago, joemas6 said:

Sure... but it tells you how they think if you pay attention.   Because .... its really not about what YOU care about ... as far as when it comes to finalizing the 53.   you follow?  

Of course I follow.I dont mind versatility,it's great when you need it,but I like guys that are solid in one place also.

19 minutes ago, joemas6 said:

BTW the 2 we have listed as C"s are not even C"s either lol

There will be at least one guy on our 53 man roster by week 2 ... that isn't currently an Eagle.   As much as some think we are cutting "starters" for other teams  LOL  ...  Howie always makes a move pulling a guy or two  from another team.   

8 minutes ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

Seumalo made 37 career starts at OR State at every position on the OL except for LG. 23 starts at C. 

I'd say he's my front runner for BU Center lol

15 minutes ago, joemas6 said:

There will be at least one guy on our 53 man roster by week 2 ... that isn't currently an Eagle.   As much as some think we are cutting "starters" for other teams  LOL  ...  Howie always makes a move pulling a guy or two  from another team.   

Yeah still a little time yet.I'd rather we had a REAL C in training behind Kelce.We have a few guys we can use as trade bait at RB and WR.I don;t mind G's  in a pinch,but I dont like guys that are 75% at 3 spots.I want a guy who is 100% at 1 spot-JMO

15 minutes ago, EaglesTD123 said:

Seumalo made 37 career starts at OR State at every position on the OL except for LG. 23 starts at C. 

I'd say he's my front runner for BU Center lol

So he's 75% good at 3 spots.This is what I mean

IDK maybe we can use that Herbig dude later.He seemed ok for being a young guy,but I'd like him to concentrate on being a C

7 minutes ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

Of course I follow.I dont mind versatility,it's great when you need it,but I like guys that are solid in one place also

I'll take the multifaceted guys on the fly 'cause see……if they've been taking practice reps at those positions then the coaching staff - specifically Stout here - has confidence in them filling in w/o missing a beat or much drop-off. Like I've said before on here, I've got a TON of respect for this coaching staff and until they prove me wrong it'll stand. 

Nice effort TD! You left off Mills. After Scandrick laid down and avoided contact on that (non)attempt of a tackle it’s tough for me to include him. I’m leaning with FL that I think Herbig has a decent shot at making the team. Be nice to stash him on PS if that would fly without him getting poached. I just don’t see keeping Smallwood. He’s just decent at everything. Which was useful last season. But this year we shouldn’t need that. Adams has much more potential. Scott also shows more potential. Not even sure we keep five RB this season. I’m thinking Michel makes the team at WR. Just brings so many great elements. Even with everyone healthy I could see using his skills for a few plays on game day. Pryor is doing nothing for me. I lean Herbig but also think Opeta looks good with potential. 

About as much nitpicking as I could come with. Figured you deserved that since you put in all the effort to load your 53. We really are thinking mostly the same. Tough calls with Thorson, Edwards and a few others on PS. Kind of feel like Toth gets a PS spot also. Just the way it kind of has setup.

3 minutes ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

Yeah still a little time yet.I'd rather we had a REAL C in training behind Kelce.We have a few guys we can use as trade bait at RB and WR.I don;t mind G's  in a pinch,but I dont like guys that are 75% at 3 spots.I want a guy who is 100% at 1 spot-JMO

So he's 75% good at 3 spots.This is what I mean

I get YOUR point.   Again, my point, our preferences as fans dont really matter.    And I tend to agree with the way they think.   You have your starting 5.... once someone goes out, I want the best guys behind them in the game... Nice to have a specific backup C... but only so many roster spots.   Makes sense to putthe best OL in next.... the best interior guy, and if that means moving #73 to C then so be it.   They can keep a guy on the practice squad if they decide to cut Wiz ... another guy to play C.  In my mind... I could easily see the same OL from last year except swapping Dillard to Warmack... that makes sense.    I haven't watched any preseason or practice , so I'm at the mercy of what they decide without any real opinion of how anyone is really doing.  

17 minutes ago, EaglesTD123 said:

I'll take the multifaceted guys on the fly 'cause see……if they've been taking practice reps at those positions then the coaching staff - specifically Stout here - has confidence in them filling in w/o missing a beat or much drop-off. Like I've said before on here, I've got a TON of respect for this coaching staff and until they prove me wrong it'll stand. 

I will say AGAIN,I don;t mind versatility,but I don;lt wan't an 80% center.Thats a spot on the O line where you must have a top notch player,not 4 BU's vying for an emergency fill in

15 minutes ago, joemas6 said:

I get YOUR point.   Again, my point, our preferences as fans dont really matter.    And I tend to agree with the way they think.   You have your starting 5.... once someone goes out, I want the best guys behind them in the game... Nice to have a specific backup C... but only so many roster spots.   Makes sense to putthe best OL in next.... the best interior guy, and if that means moving #73 to C then so be it.   They can keep a guy on the practice squad if they decide to cut Wiz ... another guy to play C.  In my mind... I could easily see the same OL from last year except swapping Dillard to Warmack... that makes sense.    I haven't watched any preseason or practice , so I'm at the mercy of what they decide without any real opinion of how anyone is really doing.  

Most of this board is I ,me, my opinion.No need to point it out

16 minutes ago, joemas6 said:

SO why not have a C that can play G if needed,not the other way around? We have 5 like that already

Ham,I like Herbig also.He's busting at least.I also think Boston Scott has a place here. 

21 minutes ago, EaglesTD123 said:

Yeah like those QB/WR's.How are they working out?