DaveSpadaro

[News] Early Thinking On Some Roster Battles To Watch

11 minutes ago, GreenbleedinFL said:
12 minutes ago, EaglesTD123 said:

Seumalo made 37 career starts at OR State at every position on the OL except for LG. 23 starts at C. 

I'd say he's my front runner for BU Center lol

So he's 75% good at 3 spots.This is what I mean

Nah, I'd say he's 95% at C lol. RG, LT & RT approx 75% 

2 minutes ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

SO why not have a C that can play G if needed,not the other way around? We have 5 like that already

I thought that was the idea when they drafted #73 ... he was the future at C????  But he can also play other spots?   

6 minutes ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

Most of this board is I ,me, my opinion.No need to point it out

That would be the difference between my 53 and the 53 you’d expect them to choose. Decent difference most likely. Which are we talking about? Personal choice? Or prediction of team actual choices?

3 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

That would be the difference between my 53 and the 53 you’d expect them to choose. Decent difference most likely. Which are we talking about? Personal choice? Or prediction of team actual choices?

I assumed we were talking about prediction ... considering TD123 made a prediction with his roster.     BTW... I too think Mills will be on the roster ... my issue about limiting to 53 at this point is that I think a few guys will start out on PUP ... not really a big deal if they have to miss 6 games or whatever, if they aren't ready yet you gotta stash them.   I think its a fluid situation, with the initial 53 not really being as important as people think.  

Also... I don't know about 6 DEs?   If a guy like Miller isn't ready yet, will a team poach him?  They need to put him on the 53, not their PS.  What's up with Sweat's knee?   Do they give up on him... does he go PUP?   

4 TEs, 5 RBs ... 6WRs?    I think coach Fipp has a lot of input on that.   We'll see.   

17 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

Nice effort TD! You left off Mills. After Scandrick laid down and avoided contact on that (non)attempt of a tackle it’s tough for me to include him. I’m leaning with FL that I think Herbig has a decent shot at making the team. Be nice to stash him on PS if that would fly without him getting poached. I just don’t see keeping Smallwood. He’s just decent at everything. Which was useful last season. But this year we shouldn’t need that. Adams has much more potential. Scott also shows more potential. Not even sure we keep five RB this season. I’m thinking Michel makes the team at WR. Just brings so many great elements. Even with everyone healthy I could see using his skills for a few plays on game day. Pryor is doing nothing for me. I lean Herbig but also think Opeta looks good with potential. 

About as much nitpicking as I could come with. Figured you deserved that since you put in all the effort to load your 53. We really are thinking mostly the same. Tough calls with Thorson, Edwards and a few others on PS. Kind of feel like Toth gets a PS spot also. Just the way it kind of has setup.

Thanks man!!! Really, REALLY tough!  Aww PISS I did forget about Mills. Doh! Thought about swapping Herbig for Smallwood for a decent amount of time. I pulled and added different positions from O, D and O-->D, vice versa. I had Michel on my initial WR for a total of 6. Just wasn't able to sufficiently cover my other spots. Had Opeta on initial roster too, but then had to remove him. I did my OL ( and entire roster) in a way that I feel the coaches are thinking plus what I've observed from TC. But if it's my opinion for OL I'd go Herbig over Pryor all day! Pryor's been causing too much laundry for me. Trying to turn a 2 yd gain into 7 yd gain and then ends up costing the O 10 yds in reverse LOL. Last I knew the object of the game is to advance the ball.  I'm glad it's not my arse making these back end of depth decisions, doubt if I'd have a job for long lol 🤔

4 minutes ago, EaglesTD123 said:

Thanks man!!! Really, REALLY tough!  Aww PISS I did forget about Mills. Doh! Thought about swapping Herbig for Smallwood for a decent amount of time. I pulled and added different positions from O, D and O-->D, vice versa. I had Michel on my initial WR for a total of 6. Just wasn't able to sufficiently cover my other spots. Had Opeta on initial roster too, but then had to remove him. I did my OL ( and entire roster) in a way that I feel the coaches are thinking plus what I've observed from TC. But if it's my opinion for OL I'd go Herbig over Pryor all day! Pryor's been causing too much laundry for me. Trying to turn a 2 yd gain into 7 yd gain and then ends up costing the O 10 yds in reverse LOL. Last I knew the object of the game is to advance the ball.  I'm glad it's not my arse making these back end of depth decisions, doubt if I'd have a job for long lol 🤔

So ... just curious here and playing devil's advocate.    Take away penalties ... that can be cleaned up with experience and work.   Would you prefer Pryor over Herbig?     Are preseason penalties really an issue?   

45 minutes ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

IDK maybe we can use that Herbig dude later.He seemed ok for being a young guy,but I'd like him to concentrate on being a C

When we were going back & forth it went over my head that you were getting at Herbig LOL. I was concentrating on showing proof for Seumalo at C.   Many, MANY hard choices to make here come Aug 31@4pm!!!

48 minutes ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

Yeah like those QB/WR's.How are they working out?

I was speaking precisely about Seumalo. Skill positions are a whole 'nother ball park. 

38 minutes ago, joemas6 said:

I assumed we were talking about prediction ... considering TD123 made a prediction with his roster.     BTW... I too think Mills will be on the roster ... my issue about limiting to 53 at this point is that I think a few guys will start out on PUP ... not really a big deal if they have to miss 6 games or whatever, if they aren't ready yet you gotta stash them.   I think its a fluid situation, with the initial 53 not really being as important as people think.  

Also... I don't know about 6 DEs?   If a guy like Miller isn't ready yet, will a team poach him?  They need to put him on the 53, not their PS.  What's up with Sweat's knee?   Do they give up on him... does he go PUP?   

4 TEs, 5 RBs ... 6WRs?    I think coach Fipp has a lot of input on that.   We'll see.   

Correct! I'm talking 'team' predictions. Trying my best to get in the coaches' heads. I could care less about what I think. I want a winner and if I'm making the cutdown decisions we're sunk LOL. I know for a FACT I'm inferior for a judge of players vs the coaches on this team.  

Bingo.  I not confident AT ALL with Sweat & Miller!  I'm thinking Howie's gonna perform some presto-change-O at DE, seriously. 

48 minutes ago, EaglesTD123 said:

Thought about swapping Herbig for Smallwood for a decent amount of time.

Really - strictly me speaking here - I want Scott in Smallwood's place. I'm just not sure about the coach's confidence in Scott over Smalls. I guess we'll all find out in less than 2 wks. 

46 minutes ago, joemas6 said:

So ... just curious here and playing devil's advocate.    Take away penalties ... that can be cleaned up with experience and work.   Would you prefer Pryor over Herbig?     Are preseason penalties really an issue?   

PS penalties don't mean squat other than……Can Pryor turn it around?  If he's making these mistakes now who's to say he won't make them when games count? When he's depended upon for an entire game and seeding is on the line???  I have belief he can spin his play in the right direction, but I'm gonna need to see it. Constant yellow laundry=let your team mates' efforts down. As far as experience though it's Pryor. Two more PS games to help me make a more confident decision. 

I saw that Ridgeway was back to practice today (yesterday lol). Anyone think he earns the 4th DT spot? It's a tough call for me between Ridgeway & Hester.

That's where the tough call comes in TD - where do we go heavy? We may keep both Hester and Ridgeway and prolly should. If we go heavy there then it would be difficult to with an extra CB, where we got so banged up last yr. We're deep at WR and DE as well - good problem to have with contracts coming up and players getting a bit long in the tooth.

Didn't know this. Versus holdouts, teams can send a 5 Day Letter which states the player must be practicing/playing within 5 days or they will be put on reserve/left team list. This prevents them from any other team.

Toth was stationed at Fort Leonard Wood which is about 20 miles north of where I live.

I think i'd remember if I saw someone that big walking around the fort.

I was waiting for the other shoe to drop;

https://www.bleedinggreennation.com/2019/8/19/20812073/chris-worley-eagles-linebacker-roster-news-philadelphia-bengals-seahawks-ohio-state-buckeyes-nfl?utm_campaign=brandongowton&utm_content=chorus&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter

8 hours ago, EaglesTD123 said:

PS penalties don't mean squat other than……Can Pryor turn it around?  If he's making these mistakes now who's to say he won't make them when games count? When he's depended upon for an entire game and seeding is on the line???  I have belief he can spin his play in the right direction, but I'm gonna need to see it. Constant yellow laundry=let your team mates' efforts down. As far as experience though it's Pryor. Two more PS games to help me make a more confident decision. 

Idk... has the guy been playing football his whole life?  Are penalties in a couple games really his trend or could be coincidental?  Did he jump offsides last year in preseason?

Just seems a stretch to make a decision based on a few penalties in preseason?   We have a hall of fame left tackle on the roster that seemed to jump offsides every series a few years back.  I'll keep the guy who I think is the better blocker, not really focus on some preseason penalties that happened all of a sudden.

I’m still shaking my head at this McCown signing. We had it setup for Suds and Thorson to be two and three. It seemed likely Suds will be back soon enough. So all we really needed was a camp arm to finish off practicing and preseason. So you waste that money on Mc. Not massive crazy money...but not peanuts either. And then how do you handle the 53 man roster now? It complicates things. It’s a knock to Suds making him number three again. Then what? We going to keep four QBs? Seems crazy. So you expose Thorson to PS. So he can move on anywhere after spending draft capital on him. I don’t even feel Mc is worth it either....so there is that.

9 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

That’s where Pryor also struggles...he hasn’t blocked anyone very well.

So if you aren’t blocking well and you are causing stupid penalties then...you shouldn’t even make the team.

22 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

I’m still shaking my head at this McCown signing. We had it setup for Suds and Thorson to be two and three. It seemed likely Suds will be back soon enough. So all we really needed was a camp arm to finish off practicing and preseason. So you waste that money on Mc. Not massive crazy money...but not peanuts either. And then how do you handle the 53 man roster now? It complicates things. It’s a knock to Suds making him number three again. Then what? We going to keep four QBs? Seems crazy. So you expose Thorson to PS. So he can move on anywhere after spending draft capital on him. I don’t even feel Mc is worth it either....so there is that.

Welp once again I didn't get to see enough of Suds to make that call.I believe you go ahead and expose Thorson to the PS because there is nothing else to do with him.Most teams have either a young QB in place or their future QB already in camp.I am a fan of Brett Rypien.If he's on their PS,I would lose Thorson in an instant,plus you always have next years draft.Maybe McCown becomes the new Foles.He's cheap enough and really no worries about him wanting to find a starting gig.I won't pass judgement.I need to see these guys play