DaveSpadaro

[News] Early Thinking On Some Roster Battles To Watch

On ‎8‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 12:39 PM, cunninghamtheman said:

What did you think of Herbig? I thought he surpassed Wiz for that number two C spot. Of coarse Seumalo might be our true backup C. Herbig has shown well. Think there is plenty to work with in the young player.

Wiz looked bad. Pretty Sure allot of people would be a better option, including Herbig.

Except for Dillard suffering a bit from the heat and intensity of practice he's having a great PS, allowing 0 qb pressures ( although I swear I saw one ) and losing just 1 out of 50 matchups. Sounds like his college game is transferring well to the NFL. We just may see him early in the season during garbage time.

39 minutes ago, mjkline1958 said:

Except for Dillard suffering a bit from the heat and intensity of practice he's having a great PS, allowing 0 qb pressures ( although I swear I saw one ) and losing just 1 out of 50 matchups. Sounds like his college game is transferring well to the NFL. We just may see him early in the season during garbage time.

Yes we should see backups during garbage time.   Not sure if playing in garbage time really does anything though?  There's a reason it's called garbage time. 

Would be great to have garbage time with us being on the winning side.  Can't really guarantee that we will have that though.   Be nice just to get some wins, especially early in the season with the rust still there.

10 hours ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

Neither do undrafted rookies.I mean do you have to see tape to understand a team has kept a player on the roster for 3-4 years? Wouldn't you believe they were at least ok?

Lmao completely different....And again you keep thinking I’m saying Suds is terrible which I’m not....Im saying I don’t know how much a team would give up for him....Clearly we like Suds a ton more then some late round pick or we wouldn’t have tendered him....If your a team you going to give up a 3rd or 4th round pick on a QB you know nothing about???? Seems unlikely to me especially if they can sign an UDFA for no picks and way cheaper 

Could start right off the bat vs the skins. It's not only important to get live learning exp for the bu's, but why expose your starters? Figured LT esp as having confidence in a bu is one thing, a rookie bu while saving wear and tear on JP even better.

1 hour ago, mjkline1958 said:

Could start right off the bat vs the skins. It's not only important to get live learning exp for the bu's, but why expose your starters? Figured LT esp as having confidence in a bu is one thing, a rookie bu while saving wear and tear on JP even better.

Jason Peters is the LT and will play all the meaningful snaps there barring injury.  

As I stated earlier,  I hate when summer ends, but I cannot wait until we get back to real football conversations, not all this focus and mind wandering about backups.   The games start 0-0 including the first game vs Washington,  we don't get a 21 point head start, therefore the starters will play.  Jason Peters will be at LT.

2 hours ago, mjkline1958 said:

he did give up 2 sacks though. Not sure how they do not include that as QB Pressures....

2 minutes ago, stine said:

he did give up 2 sacks though. Not sure how they do not include that as QB Pressures....

Depends how long the QB held the ball.  Or if his guy got a sack due to the QB being pushed toward that side.  

2 hours ago, BleedingGreen93 said:

Lmao completely different....And again you keep thinking I’m saying Suds is terrible which I’m not....Im saying I don’t know how much a team would give up for him....Clearly we like Suds a ton more then some late round pick or we wouldn’t have tendered him....If your a team you going to give up a 3rd or 4th round pick on a QB you know nothing about???? Seems unlikely to me especially if they can sign an UDFA for no picks and way cheaper 

lmao,ok go get some UDFA guys.They are UDFA for a reason .In fact,go get 10-12 and pay them 7.50 an hour because you never know who the next Foles is that can save your season

29 minutes ago, stine said:

2 sacks? Which game, which plays?

58 minutes ago, stine said:

Well he's still a rook you know? He will learn how to handle the "pros" .The NFL is far different than college

23 hours ago, joemas6 said:

Ham,  relax a little there.   Trades ... PUPs ... stop overthinking... it doesn't have to make sense to us fans... WE have a QB injured not exactly sure of the time table of the return yet... although some make it seem like its a lock to be back ASAP in September???  WE don't know for sure.   We also have been hearing reports that Kessler hasn't been that great ...right?   Also, it was unknown if he would clear concussion protocol.   Kessler and McCown won't both be on the team.  Kessler counts $912k vs the cap... if McCown is $2 mil ... its peanuts with the $20 mil cap space they have.   Not going to effect any of your free agent signings in the future.

Simply,  they wanted to ensure they have another arm, they haven't been impressed with Kessler.   Suds is a UFA next year, who might be gone almost half the season anyway.   

You spend a mil of cap space to take care of all that ... with a guy who can bring some vet leadership and is friends with Alshon ... and you are really focused on this????    

Doesn’t really add up. When Suds got hurt they made no move. In fact Pedey said not worried about it at all. Stood pat. But then Kessler got the concussion and now they forced this move. So McCown didn’t get signed because they didn’t believe in Kessler. They never really believed in Kessler. He wasn’t ever making the team. It was clearly Wentz, Suds and Thorson. Suds got injured. But he only should miss a few games. Nothing major. Non throwing arm break. Pretty cut and dry really. Now it’s all muddled. Gotta keep Suds and McCown. And McCown was probably told he was number two to come out of retirement. But that will not sit well with Suds. Going back to number three probably changed his plans for next season. Time for him to move on. And then now what do you do with Thorson? Expose your draft pick to PS?  All for a guy in McCown that is really old and never was any good to begin with. Clustered it all because they knee jerk reacted and couldn’t wait two more days for Kessler to clear concussion.

23 hours ago, joemas6 said:

Indianapolis and Jacksonville.

Where would you come up with this? Brissett in Indy looks to possibly be the best backup in the league. And we saw Menshaw for Jax look pretty good. On par with Suds arguably at least.

18 hours ago, joemas6 said:

Right, can't hurt to add pieces.  Stop worrying if your guy makes the 53.  All that should matter is the team success.  It's not a developmental league 

What planet did this statement come from? Not a developmental league? Really? What’s been going on with Mailata? Sudfeld? Pryor? Sweat? Gerry? Gibson? Obviously I can go on and on for days with guys that have been DEVELOPED here. 

18 hours ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

Welp If we hadn't made that Mc move,we woulda had to trust him with 25 passes right? SO, why wouldn't someone else?

Why would we give up Suds? Somebody would have to really blow us away with the price tag. He’s a quality potential backup...that we’ve been developing. Doesn’t make any sense to move on from him. He’s the top guy I would turn to if we need to win a game with Wentz being out.

16 hours ago, joemas6 said:

Basically your point .... teams probably trust Doug and the organization enough with their evaluation to keep him around all this time and have him as the #2 prior to getting hurt.  

But who knows...let's see it all play out. We have a good team.  I hate how fast summer goes, but the best part is getting out of training camp/preseason mode of talking about all these backups and fringe players.  Looking forward to the conversation being Wentz, Ertz,  Alshon, Djax, Agholor, Goedert, the starting OL and the top RBs.  Along with the defenders who play the most snaps.

Stopping all these assumptions based upon bloggers points of view of practice.   We can use our own eyes on actual real game action. 

So true. It’s not like we won the Super Bowl with any backups playing. Luckily it’s a noncontact sport. And it doesn’t wear guys down playing all game for 16 games(plus playoffs). No need for guys to ever rotate in. No need to replace any injured starters. Should just cut everybody that isn’t a starter. Seems like the wise move. Screw depth or ST. 

23 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

In fact Pedey said not worried about it at all. Stood pat.

Having hindsight in the situation I believe this was all a front to show the organization wasn't gonna 'panic' and DP was probly directed to handle it this way from the upper level of the chain of command. That's my take. If I'm wrong, I'm wrong. 

Just now, EaglesTD123 said:

Having hindsight in the situation I believe this was all a front to show the organization wasn't gonna 'panic' and DP was probly directed to handle it this way from the upper level of the chain of command. That's my take. If I'm wrong, I'm wrong. 

But then they panicked

23 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

Why would we give up Suds? Somebody would have to really blow us away with the price tag. He’s a quality potential backup...that we’ve been developing. Doesn’t make any sense to move on from him. He’s the top guy I would turn to if we need to win a game with Wentz being out.

He's going to be a UDA next year .... you follow.   Relax and let it play out.  Stop assuming everything... and yes...draft picks get exposed to practice squad every year... nothing new.  Lets see how it plays out.   Remember... you yourself ... "ALL IN SEASON"  

It's not a developemental league... guys need to play... sure a few guys can get developed... can;t do that with everyone... not enough roster spots.  You know better than that.... you yourself said Pryor isn't doing it... its what happens... you take a flyer on a guy then have to pull the plug if needed.   Cut your losses if its best for the team.  

22 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

So true. It’s not like we won the Super Bowl with any backups playing. Luckily it’s a noncontact sport. And it doesn’t wear guys down playing all game for 16 games(plus playoffs). No need for guys to ever rotate in. No need to replace any injured starters. Should just cut everybody that isn’t a starter. Seems like the wise move. Screw depth or ST. 

This is exactly why its hard to ever converse with you .... how you get from point a to point z without anything inbetween?.... still recovering from the stress of wedding planning????  

Read again... simply stated its more enjoyable for me to talk about what I see ... in real games... not reports of how guys are looking from bloggers in drills.    I know you like to stress on the 53rd player and the backup gunner... that's fine to each their own.   September can't come soon enough on here!       

14 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

But then they panicked

Yeah... Im'sure they didn't even have McCown's phone number until minutes before the call????    Howie never plans ahead... its all panic.   LOL.   Oh no... the 5th round QB could be exposed to be poached .... lol

BTW.... I think many are missing that McCown is getting experience with a winning organization .... playing behind a franchise QB, not helping developing one.  

If he looks to coach or go into broadcasting .... getting $2 mil for this experience isn't bad.   Even if you are #3.   Sure he's 40 ... but it's a different experience being here.  I don't think he needed to be promised to be the #2.