DaveSpadaro

[News] Early Thinking On Some Roster Battles To Watch

1 hour ago, joemas6 said:

Yeah... Im'sure they didn't even have McCown's phone number until minutes before the call????    Howie never plans ahead... its all panic.   LOL.   Oh no... the 5th round QB could be exposed to be poached .... lol

Where do you draw the line then? Dillard was drafted to sit and develop a year. Do you expose the first round pick to PS? JJ is the fourth or fifth WR. Gotta develop him. So do you expose the second round pick? Miller was drafted being the seventh DE. Do you expose the fourth round pick to PS? Thorson was drafted with being the third stringer in mind while he developed. But now you think screw it just chuck him out on the open market for anyone to pickup? We keep Mailata and Pryor to develop but won’t let other teams get a shot to poach them but Thorson is so much less a developmental project? 

2 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

Where do you draw the line then? Dillard was drafted to sit and develop a year. Do you expose the first round pick to PS? JJ is the fourth or fifth WR. Gotta develop him. So do you expose the second round pick? Miller was drafted being the seventh DE. Do you expose the fourth round pick to PS? Thorson was drafted with being the third stringer in mind while he developed. But now you think screw it just chuck him out on the open market for anyone to pickup? We keep Mailata and Pryor to develop but won’t let other teams get a shot to poach them but Thorson is so much less a developmental project? 

You draw the line at your best 53.  Do you think New England worries about all this stuff?

Rosters are fluid, each player is different. Each season is different.They got a look at Thorson... if they think they need to put him on the roster, they will.  Why worry, it's not our job to pick the roster.  

By week 2, there will be at least one or two guys that are currently on another roster that will be an Eagle.  They poach and we poach,  works both ways.  Trade PUP... all things that can change the equation,  let it play out.

Some teams ( Bears ) should sign her! She'll make more money and be the 1st lady NFL player!

8 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

LOL, you're obviously not putting 1st-3rd round guys on the practice squad. Thorson on the PS is two fold, 1 it gives him the ability to develop, 2. You're not keeping 4 QB's on the roster. Who does that?

1 minute ago, Don Corleone said:

LOL, you're obviously not putting 1st-3rd round guys on the practice squad. Thorson on the PS is two fold, 1 it gives him the ability to develop, 2. You're not keeping 4 QB's on the roster. Who does that?

That was my point. Thorson is our third string QB. Didn’t need Old Man McCown. Knee jerk reaction two days before camp body Kessler got cleared for concussion. Now you are going to expose Thorson. At that point why even draft him?

3 minutes ago, Don Corleone said:

But they/ you wouldn’t expose Mailata to be poached. Where do you draw the line?

2 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

But they/ you wouldn’t expose Mailata to be poached. Where do you draw the line?

If they put Mailata on the PS, so be it. I think the reason they wouldn't risk putting him in the PS, is because they traded up to get him, it's possible a team out there wanted him so the Eagles jumped up to get him.

Dang, I wouldn't want Carli Lloyd gettin' mad at me and kicking the package! lol

1171089065_NutKick.gif.2fd2ccdd9c426658935954403eac77c2.gif

12 minutes ago, Don Corleone said:

If they put Mailata on the PS, so be it. I think the reason they wouldn't risk putting him in the PS, is because they traded up to get him, it's possible a team out there wanted him so the Eagles jumped up to get him.

He was drafted later than Thorson

18 minutes ago, joemas6 said:

Rosters are fluid, each player is different. Each season is different.They got a look at Thorson... if they think they need to put him on the roster, they will.  Why worry, it's not our job to pick the roster.  

By week 2, there will be at least one or two guys that are currently on another roster that will be an Eagle.  They poach and we poach,  works both ways.  Trade PUP... all things that can change the equation,  let it play out.

I get what you're saying Joe, but easier said than done lol. Hard when you are someone that's so passionate about the team and don't precisely understand what goes on behind the scenes leading up to the decisions. For me, the bulk of it can be chalked up to being eager to see week 1 rolling. 

12 minutes ago, Don Corleone said:

They traded up to get Pumphrey also because of the same reasons. Yet he didn’t make the 53

27 minutes ago, joemas6 said:

Nothing to do with the Eagles is my JOB. What is any of us ever talking about then? I’ve never been in control but I still can have opinions.

34 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

I'm well aware of when they were both drafted, thank you. Having said that, that's not the point I'm making. The point is, I believe another team wanted Mailata for the same reason the Eagles did, that's why they traded up and took him. So, if they put him on waivers with the hopes of being able to put him on the PS, he'd likely be claimed.

Can the same argument be made for Thorson? That I'm not sure, but he did play better in the 2nd preseason game, we'll see what he does going forward, but it isn't very likely the Eagles will keep 4 QB's on the roster.

25 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

They traded up to get Pumphrey also because of the same reasons. Yet he didn’t make the 53

And? They likely traded up for Pumphrey because of need at the RB position, they reportedly wanted Dalvin Cook, but the Vikings took him and they took Sidney Jones, so I don't view it as the same. Pumphrey was also on the roster in 2017, placed on IR for the rest of the season, then placed on waivers in 2018. He then passed through waivers unclaimed and worked out for the Lions, they put him on their PS and then released him 3 weeks later. The Eagles brought him back and signed him to the PS. This past January, he signed a reserved/futures contract.

1 hour ago, Don Corleone said:

Mailata and Dillard aren't going anywhere

Just now, Don Corleone said:

I never suggested Mailata was going anywhere

I never said YOU did

1 hour ago, cunninghamtheman said:

That was my point. Thorson is our third string QB. Didn’t need Old Man McCown. Knee jerk reaction two days before camp body Kessler got cleared for concussion. Now you are going to expose Thorson. At that point why even draft him?

My feeling is the Eagles believe Thorson can be stashed on the PS without getting poached hence the McCown signing that simple....Also having a QB with 16 years exp. is great for the young guys there is likely nothing McCown hasn’t seen before 

Is he our 3rd string QB... were you getting inside info? Like it was for sure?  

I think you need to take a look at what New England does.  They draft,  they get UDFAs,  they pick up guys off the street.  They don't predetermin stuff like you seem to have to do?  

Dude,  relax, getting all crazy over Thorton or whatever his name is...lol.  

On a player per player basis.  Wtf ... why do you make life so hard?

So what? 

Right... so you get it... no exact formula, you do it on a player by player basis 

It’s all a guessing game to some degree but pretty sure the Eagles and other teams have a good feel for what guys will be able to pass through waivers and go to the PS....Thorson is a guy they see can end up PS for a year while still learning and we get the added bonus of 16 years of QB exp. in MCCown....Mailita is a guy they believe would be snatched right away and for good reason 

also can add in the fact Eagles want to win now and who is more beneficial to the team a 3rd string QBs with 16 years of exp. to help your young QBs ahead of him or a 5th round rookie???? All about getting the best roster has to be a balancing act of youth and exp.