DaveSpadaro

[News] Early Thinking On Some Roster Battles To Watch

Idk... to me thinking Suds was going to be here past this year didn't make sense.   He will either do well and want to leave or do poorly where we wouldn't want him.   Not sure how much room is in between.   I'm sure there is some, but not much.   

The drafted guy, they may or may not like him AFTER having him all this time.  Maybe they keep 4 then put Suds on IR.  Maybe a trade? Maybe the rookie on PS? Who knows,  let it play out.  Better to have too many than not enough. We have a SB caliber team, big picture focus here!

27 minutes ago, joemas6 said:

Idk... to me thinking Suds was going to be here past this year didn't make sense.   He will either do well and want to leave or do poorly where we wouldn't want him.   Not sure how much room is in between.   I'm sure there is some, but not much.   

The drafted guy, they may or may not like him AFTER having him all this time.  Maybe they keep 4 then put Suds on IR.  Maybe a trade? Maybe the rookie on PS? Who knows,  let it play out.  Better to have too many than not enough. We have a SB caliber team, big picture focus here!

I see other options. Like the main option of Wentz staying healthy and playing most all snaps. That would leave Suds not really playing well or poorly. It would leave him likely resigning here again next season. Filling in that role we developed him for...backup QB. And then Thorson would be the same. Developing him to be next. So when Suds moved on or the most positive view would be traded...Thorson is the backup. And so on...developing that pipeline over and over. To me that’s the BIG picture. 

For his 5-year, $64M extension that includes $35.5M guaranteed, LB Jaylon Smith gets $20M over the next 16 months. The third-highest guarantee at his position. He was slated to make $1.3M in 2019, then the RFA tender. He’s now under contract for 6 years

1 hour ago, cunninghamtheman said:

I see other options. Like the main option of Wentz staying healthy and playing most all snaps. That would leave Suds not really playing well or poorly. It would leave him likely resigning here again next season. Filling in that role we developed him for...backup QB. And then Thorson would be the same. Developing him to be next. So when Suds moved on or the most positive view would be traded...Thorson is the backup. And so on...developing that pipeline over and over. To me that’s the BIG picture. 

So Ham,  how long does Suds stay in this cycle that you just mention here.    Because Wentz would stay healthy and he doesn't play, means he would stay?   Then the following year if Wentz stays healthy again... he stays again.... at what point does he go if Wentz keeps playing every game?   I was looking at it that the Eagles controlled him this year with the tender.   Sure he could stay, in an ideal and naive world they all would.   Just thinking most likely he would go.   Again... the odds here.    To be honest, I was looking at getting a 6th or 7th round comp pick for him.   

In the world of the NFL, people talk, agents former teammates, coaches...etc.   I don't think he is complete unknown.  I think a team will offer him a deal, barring if he would play poorly this year.  

IDK... I mean, if I am a football player.... the Eagles just had me for 3 years and I didn't play.... I'm looking to leave where I can go play.  Again... how long do I develop into a #2 QB without trying to be a #1?   I don't think Suds goal is to be a career #2?    I could be wrong though... would be great if he just said, my absolute goal in life is to sit behind Carson Wentz for 10 years!   Awesome!  I'm not naive to thin that though.  

Big picture what I'm looking at .... Suds probably goes next year.   If not, he resigns on a one year deal.   Thorson still developing on his first contract where we control him for 4 years.    Or we draft another guy?    The following year after Jax releases Foles...I'm looking to get him back to finish his career here.  Thorson then can get developed... traded or signs as a UFA... with another QB getting drafted late or UDFA in 2021.   

The pipeline goes from there.  With Wentz as a #1 ... the goal is to keep developing guys who could be a #2 and get trade value as they get replaced in the pipeline.... may need a vet or two in there to be the 3rd QB in the room.   We have the draft picks under control, thats when you can develop.   Suds... no control next year, its a crapshoot, so you can't count on him being back.  

1 hour ago, cunninghamtheman said:

" Wentz and whoever else"  

22 hours ago, Don Corleone said:

2 sacks? Which game, which plays?

They were talking about it on the radio. One was on a double read last week.  I forget when they said the other occurred. I think it was when The QB got a concussion.

18 hours ago, cunninghamtheman said:

Why would we give up Suds? Somebody would have to really blow us away with the price tag. He’s a quality potential backup...that we’ve been developing. Doesn’t make any sense to move on from him. He’s the top guy I would turn to if we need to win a game with Wentz being out.

He's better than McCown? Do you KNOW that?(no you can't say you do) Lots of teams groom QB's(see Garrapolo).Thorson is our new QB project,so knowing Suds would be back around game 2,why did we go out and get McCown out of retirement? Just to get him? And you don't pay 2 mil for a camp arm

19 hours ago, cunninghamtheman said:

Doesn’t really add up. When Suds got hurt they made no move. In fact Pedey said not worried about it at all. Stood pat. But then Kessler got the concussion and now they forced this move. So McCown didn’t get signed because they didn’t believe in Kessler. They never really believed in Kessler. He wasn’t ever making the team. It was clearly Wentz, Suds and Thorson. Suds got injured. But he only should miss a few games. Nothing major. Non throwing arm break. Pretty cut and dry really. Now it’s all muddled. Gotta keep Suds and McCown. And McCown was probably told he was number two to come out of retirement. But that will not sit well with Suds. Going back to number three probably changed his plans for next season. Time for him to move on. And then now what do you do with Thorson? Expose your draft pick to PS?  All for a guy in McCown that is really old and never was any good to begin with. Clustered it all because they knee jerk reacted and couldn’t wait two more days for Kessler to clear concussion.

Suds contract is up next year? Would we pay him the 2 mil additional we spent on McCown for a QB with 25 game snaps? If a team needs a BU and we have an extra one,do you just say NAH? No you see what deal they offer you.I agree Kess is gone.If worse came to worse we could get him back. Meantime make Suds PROVE he is the #2.I'm hoping we don't need to find out and Wentz can play all season.McCown reminds me alot of Foles,so we got Foles 2 for 2 mil? Doesn't sound like a bad deal to me

BTW Thorson didn't look as bad as I initially thought.he will improve.You are comparing Suds(4 years here) to a guy that's been here 4 MONTHS. Doesn't matter really what Suds wants,it matter what the FO wants.He is a FA next year,so if he has to ride that out this year,and wants to move on to bigger things,then so be it.Meantime we have trade bait.In either case,it puts the Eagles in control of the BU QB situation and that's a great place to be.Like I said,I hope there is no need to find out and also BTW this team is heads and shoulders above what McCown had in NY.I'm really not worried about this situation.The FO did what they thought was in the teams best interests by signing McCown.If Wentz does indeed get hurt again we have A) a QB with NFL experience, B) a 4 year QB who could take over for him if needed(or vise versa) and C) a decent enough QB project that we have yet to see how that pans out. I really see no issues with any of this.Seems like a smart football move.If we got a offer for a 4th round pick for Suds,I would take that and use that pick to draft another QB.Therer's your "pipeline". Keep things fluid,so I agree with Joe.let's wait and see how this goes before we make any "fan" calls.

14 hours ago, cunninghamtheman said:

For his 5-year, $64M extension that includes $35.5M guaranteed, LB Jaylon Smith gets $20M over the next 16 months. The third-highest guarantee at his position. He was slated to make $1.3M in 2019, then the RFA tender. He’s now under contract for 6 years

Interesting they would pay that,but won't pay Zeke lol

32 minutes ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

He's better than McCown? Do you KNOW that?(no you can't say you do) Lots of teams groom QB's(see Garrapolo).Thorson is our new QB project,so knowing Suds would be back around game 2,why did we go out and get McCown out of retirement? Just to get him? And you don't pay 2 mil for a camp arm

Could be they decided Kessler stunk and were concerned Sudfeld might not be back until week 4 or 5. If so, you need to have a reliable back up. Thorson would not be an option this season, at least not before Sudfeld gets back. So they got a reliable QB to hold the fort. If they feel they need him longer, then they keep him. Thus incentives to possibly make  5 mil. At least that is how I am reading it. Could be way off base, it would not be the first time...

34 minutes ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

Interesting they would pay that,but won't pay Zeke lol

I agree with Jerry’s decision. Smith is a heck of a player. Always been a Cowboy fan. And his money is smaller than the big three he’s dealing with. It also says to Zeke ‘ only so much money. It’s being dished out. Better get yours now or it disappears.”

Bradham said he wasn’t really close to be ready to practice. But he’s hopeful he’ll be ready for week one. Doesn’t really add up. If you aren’t ready soon to have a full practice then how in 18 days can you be ready to play? So now we have to be ready to start the season missing our top two LBs. Feels like reality now. Tough!

15 hours ago, cunninghamtheman said:

the QB Position is being influwentzed by back ups.....

55 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

I agree with Jerry’s decision. Smith is a heck of a player. Always been a Cowboy fan. And his money is smaller than the big three he’s dealing with. It also says to Zeke ‘ only so much money. It’s being dished out. Better get yours now or it disappears.”

Seems like alot for a LB

1 hour ago, stine said:

Could be they decided Kessler stunk and were concerned Sudfeld might not be back until week 4 or 5. If so, you need to have a reliable back up. Thorson would not be an option this season, at least not before Sudfeld gets back. So they got a reliable QB to hold the fort. If they feel they need him longer, then they keep him. Thus incentives to possibly make  5 mil. At least that is how I am reading it. Could be way off base, it would not be the first time...

I see it the same,so we are both off base lol. Getting Kess was a boo boo and they fixed it,thats what I get out of this

1 hour ago, stine said:

Then why not make the move when Suds got injured? They didn’t. They made the move after Kessler also got injured and didn’t pass through concussion testing the first few days. Then they made the move for Mc. Two days before Kessler was cleared. Timing answers these questions. Swore up and down everything was just fine when Suds got injured. Knew he’d miss a few games to start the season then. Didn’t make a move.

5 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

Then why not make the move when Suds got injured? They didn’t. They made the move after Kessler also got injured and didn’t pass through concussion testing the first few days. Then they made the move for Mc. Two days before Kessler was cleared. Timing answers these questions. Swore up and down everything was just fine when Suds got injured. Knew he’d miss a few games to start the season then. Didn’t make a move.

Could it be they were in talks with McCown and possibly others between preseason 1 & 2 after Suds got hurt and before Kessler ended up concussed?

32 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

Who said the Eagles weren’t trying to get McCown when Suds got hurt???? The man was retired I’m sure it wasn’t just a call and he was like yup ok I’ll be there tomorrow lol 

27 minutes ago, EaglesTD123 said:

Could it be they were in talks with McCown and possibly others between preseason 1 & 2 after Suds got hurt and before Kessler ended up concussed?

You beat me to it lol 

On the 53 that can’t suit up week 1:

KGH

Bradham

Sudfeld

Mills

Brooks

McLeod 

Darby

Ridgeway

Suit up 45 on gamedays. If this whole list is on the 53 that’s all 8 spots that don’t suit up. Makes the choices that much more difficult for whom makes the team....realizing they will very likely actually play. Ridgeway should be clear from concussion. Mills will probably be on PUP. Darby, McLeod and Brooks are getting closer to being ready. Of coarse there are two more PS games to go still also. Adds to the challenge of cut decisions.

7 minutes ago, BleedingGreen93 said:

Who said the Eagles weren’t trying to get McCown when Suds got hurt???? The man was retired I’m sure it wasn’t just a call and he was like yup ok I’ll be there tomorrow lol 

You beat me to it lol 

34 minutes ago, EaglesTD123 said:

So you both believe Pedey was just full of crap with everything he was saying. AND you think it was just pure coincidence the timing of everything. Ok...I guess it’s possible. They were in long talks with Brett Favre to get him out of retirement but when that fell through after over a week of trying they then turned to McCown. But it really was all held up with a potential trade of our K Elliott so we could replace him with LLoyd. I guess it’s all ...possible.