DaveSpadaro

[News] Early Thinking On Some Roster Battles To Watch

BG,  last I read Darby is on pace and projected outside starters are Darby/Jones……Darby/Douglas……whoever wins final battle. 

41 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

The signing of McCown obviously brought up the question of Thorson. Do we keep 4 QBs, do we believe Thorson will not be poached from the PS or are we comfortable in losing Thorson?

Or.. do we keep 4, Suds then goes on IR for 8 games... and in late October Thorson gets mysteriously injured and put on IR.   Or a trade... or whatever.  We're going to see. 

3 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

This is all you with conspiracies. I believe what was said and the timing of events. The conspiracy is all in your theory. Pedey was lying and plotting to sign McCown all along. No signing after Suds was hurt supporting what Pedey actually said. Then the second QB gets hurt and we then add another QB. You are in denial of that timing stating it’s all coincidence. No conspiracy in anything I’m saying here. Your theory is all conspiracy. Shoe on wrong foot this time my friend.

McCown said it wasn’t a hard sell sure it wasn’t hard to sell him on the idea hey we are a SB contender give you a chance to win a ring....Doesn’t give any time table when McCown made the decision or first got a call by the Eagles about it facts no conspiracy...Doug not bashing his players in front of the media shocker again what was he going to say he didn’t believe in the guys on roster that is a great way to get the best out of your guys....No conspiracy there either just facts

1 minute ago, joemas6 said:

Or.. do we keep 4, Suds then goes on IR for 8 games... and in late October Thorson gets mysteriously injured and put on IR.   Or a trade... or whatever.  We're going to see. 

You really think we’d put Suds on IR with this injury? He could be back game 3. Not the way it’s going down. And putting Thorson on IR(like I previously mentioned) is a terrible idea. Can’t really develop a guy on IR. He needs to be at practice. Trade? Who for what? No idea. 0-3 No Mas...try again.

29 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

Or the most likely scenario: He gets a call  right after the Kessler concussion. Talks it over with his family. Gets his agent to work out a deal. Then is officially signed to the team.

Yes..  this fits in to the theory of Ham being smartest guy in the room.  Doug is transparent and the front office panicked and doesn't know what they are doing. 

30 minutes ago, BleedingGreen93 said:

Yup was all done in what a day lol get real...Most likely scenario was he was called way back when Suds was hurt and took the time to work everything out 

I thought I heard him say that he was throwing the ball and working out?  

Just now, cunninghamtheman said:

You really think we’d put Suds on IR with this injury? He could be back game 3. Not the way it’s going down. And putting Thorson on IR(like I previously mentioned) is a terrible idea. Can’t really develop a guy on IR. He needs to be at practice. Trade? Who for what? No idea. 0-3 No Mas...try again.

Thorson going on IR can get a ton done on the mental aspect of the game and isn’t like we want him to be our backup QB next season so IR makes perfect sense to keep him and develop....Suds injury again assuming he will be ready in 3 weeks Sure Eagles have a lot better knowledge of the injury then us fans what if they don’t think he will be back for 6 weeks???? Why not IR him only going to miss an extra 2 games we have a backup QB and your already high chance to keep a Thorson on PS goes up even higher 

Though again I still believe the simplest outcome is most likely....Thorson passes through waivers and is placed on PS that simple case closed lol....Backups are McCown and Suds boom done....

In just don’t see teams scrambling to try and sign Thorson off our practice squad 

8 minutes ago, joemas6 said:

the front office panicked and doesn't know what they are doing. 

It does seem like the front office panicked and knee jerk reacted to sign McCown. Doesn’t know what they are doing is not at all what I’ve said. Not all knowing and perfect all the time...that would be accurate. Rosie is very good. But he isn’t perfect. No Mas you fall for everything being done as brilliant just because the guy has that job with this organization. You thought Chip as a HC was brilliant. You thought all the moves he was making as GM were great. And now you think Rosie can do no wrong. I’m just not the sheep like you. I think for myself. I have been agreeing with most of the things that Rosie has done since Chip was booted. Maybe the most I’ve agreed with this organization’s moves in my life. But even still every move isn’t brilliant. 

6 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

Ok... because the best theory is

Ham is smarter than everyone. 

But for a goof...  1. Yes Suds could go on IR for 8 games if they think he will be out for 4 or 5 anyway.    Which, they have time to make that decision on the Tuesday after Labor day... relax trying to rush that.  2.  If Thorson gets to practice until week 8... that's 10 more weeks.  Then he gets an offseason.  Tell me, what does running a scout team for an additional 7 weeks is that important.  He's going to be in meetings anyway, on the field to watch.   I don't think the difference is going to stunt his development. 

I could just go along with all your conspiracies. We have been wooing McCown out of retirement. In fact why stop there? We have been doing it this whole offseason. Suds and Kessler’s injuries were all just coincidence. It just so happened McCown finally broke down and decided to join us. His remarks about it being an easy decision was all BS. He really just wanted to broadcast and be retired. In fact his wife was sick of him being around the house too much and forced him to take the job. Pederson has been longing for a backup QB with the talents of McCown his whole coaching career.

8 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

It does seem like the front office panicked and knee jerk reacted to sign McCown. Doesn’t know what they are doing is not at all what I’ve said. Not all knowing and perfect all the time...that would be accurate. Rosie is very good. But he isn’t perfect. No Mas you fall for everything being done as brilliant just because the guy has that job with this organization. You thought Chip as a HC was brilliant. You thought all the moves he was making as GM were great. And now you think Rosie can do no wrong. I’m just not the sheep like you. I think for myself. I have been agreeing with most of the things that Rosie has done since Chip was booted. Maybe the most I’ve agreed with this organization’s moves in my life. But even still every move isn’t brilliant. 

Didn't read the second half of your post.  Don't believe everything has to be either brilliant or dumb. Lots of in between.   I'm not stressed over Thorson like you are... but neither was I planning my wedding.  My simple attitude, it's my day F#$k anyone who wants to complain at my party where I am providing good food and entertainment... not worry about the small stuff and trust my work that I put in preparation. 

12 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

Again... with Chip... Sam Hinkie... I was glad they got off the Reid treadmill to know where and blew it up.   That's different than thinking Chip was brilliant. 

Again...why are you so stressed over Thorson?  I have my theory.   Which is you had other guys you wanted to draft instead of Thorson... being the expert that you are... so the chance of Thorson getting poached annoys you because there was some other guy who we could have had.   And if we drafted that guy... and he would have succeeded,  it would have been something for you to keep bringing up to show " Ham is the smartest guy in the room" 

For me, my season starts vs Washington, I really don't care who makes the final 53... I'm not losing sleep over Thorson, Kessler or McCown.  I don't need to be the smartest on the room... would just prefer the Eagles win. The manner which it happens doesn't matter.

19 minutes ago, BleedingGreen93 said:

Though again I still believe the simplest outcome is most likely....Thorson passes through waivers and is placed on PS that simple case closed lol....Backups are McCown and Suds boom done....

In just don’t see teams scrambling to try and sign Thorson off our practice squad 

I wish I could use all my likes on this post. I honestly don't see people jumping at signing him. 170 yards isn't really that impressive especially against mainly backups and 3rd string players when you played the majority of the game. 

11 minutes ago, joemas6 said:

Again... with Chip... Sam Hinkie... I was glad they got off the Reid treadmill to know where and blew it up.   That's different than thinking Chip was brilliant. 

Again...why are you so stressed over Thorson?  I have my theory.   Which is you had other guys you wanted to draft instead of Thorson... being the expert that you are... so the chance of Thorson getting poached annoys you because there was some other guy who we could have had.   And if we drafted that guy... and he would have succeeded,  it would have been something for you to keep bringing up to show " Ham is the smartest guy in the room" 

For me, my season starts vs Washington, I really don't care who makes the final 53... I'm not losing sleep over Thorson, Kessler or McCown.  I don't need to be the smartest on the room... would just prefer the Eagles win. The manner which it happens doesn't matter.

Ok paragraph one: you are glad we blew everything up to get off the Reid Treadmill. And you loved Chipper. Glad they let him take over. You were wrong. Just own it. Because in fact what we did successfully was hire Reid’s assistant and get away from everything in between.

Second paragraph: your theory. 0-4 now. Sure I had other guys I would have drafted. But I’ve always believed in Pederson(one of the few around here). And I did it with Wentz. I wanted to trade up and let him pick the QB. I believe in his opinion over mine with this. So I believe in Thorson. Didn’t know much about him. And he looked terrible week one. Week two showed tremendous growth. The thing with Thorson isn’t the picking up the offense and such. He’s a very smart kid. His issues revolve more around the physical. He needs practice to develop.

Paragraph 3: then why even comment? If you don’t care about any of the choices why voice an opinion? It comes off as you just being anti- anything I say and trying to counter it...for sh17s and giggles... I guess

1 minute ago, downwithdallas said:

I wish I could use all my likes on this post. I honestly don't see people jumping at signing him. 170 yards isn't really that impressive especially against mainly backups and 3rd string players when you played the majority of the game. 

I'm curious to see how many draft picks have ended up on practice squads over say the last decade.   It happens,  I don't think it will be a franchise changing issue with whatever happens with Thorson.    Or with Kessler or McCown... or if Suds goes on IR for 8 games?   Really we need Wentz to be MVP like  for the bigger picture.

3 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

Ok paragraph one: you are glad we blew everything up to get off the Reid Treadmill. And you loved Chipper. Glad they let him take over. You were wrong. Just own it. 

1.  Yeah I do like to counter anything you say... it's fun, and hilarious when you make every little move a big deal and even better your need to prove how smart you are.  It's just funny.

2.  Thorson may or may not get poached, if they put him on PS, then trust Doug that it doesn't bother him that much.  

3.  We disagree that the difference of practicing 8 weeks compared to practicing 17 weeks is that big of a deal with a 3rd string QB. During the season we all know the starter gets the reps.  Being just around the team and working for those extra 9 weeks is enough. He's going to have all the offseason to get physical reps.

4. Chip... well I said it enough... if because I don't have hate for him or didn't love the last 8 years of Reid like you. Then if it makes you feel better to say I love Chip... then it's nice for you.  All good.   I'm praying for you that Thorson can hang on with the team. The stress of the next few weeks, I hope you can get bye.

15 minutes ago, downwithdallas said:

It does seem like the obvious way things are going down now(McCown, Suds w/ Thorson PS). I can’t be the only one that has noticed or appreciates Pedey. A few teams out there aren’t playing for anything. Especially once we get a few weeks into the season the list grows. Thorson’s week two performance wasn’t blockbuster. But it did show a vast improvement. It has to make you think that this kid does indeed have potential. And that’s all it takes for someone(especially with no SB potential) to take a chance with stashing him on their 53.

I will say a concern of mine.  Lots of guys not getting in the work at practice.   Defensively I can easily see us struggling early.  

The vibe of everything will be ok once we all get back... not a fan of that.  It's why offensively,  I fully expect that they do well, because Wentz is getting in the work, unlike last year!

8 minutes ago, joemas6 said:

4. Chip... well I said it enough... if because I don't have hate for him or didn't love the last 8 years of Reid like you. Then if it makes you feel better to say I love Chip... then it's nice for you.  All good.   I'm praying for you that Thorson can hang on with the team. The stress of the next few weeks, I hope you can get bye.

That’s a cop out. It isn’t just that. It was every week you clamoring about how brilliant everything Chip was doing was. And I’ll try and get BYE.

2 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

It does seem like the obvious way things are going down now(McCown, Suds w/ Thorson PS). I can’t be the only one that has noticed or appreciates Pedey. A few teams out there aren’t playing for anything. Especially once we get a few weeks into the season the list grows. Thorson’s week two performance wasn’t blockbuster. But it did show a vast improvement. It has to make you think that this kid does indeed have potential. And that’s all it takes for someone(especially with no SB potential) to take a chance with stashing him on their 53.

So if Pedey... lol with the name....  puts a QB out there to be potentially taken away... wouldn't that be a sign to not really look to poach him?  

Logic states that if Pedey (lol) liked him that much, he wouldn't expose him.  It's that idea that could lead to 4 QBs on the roster until Tuesday to where Suds on IR.  And to be honest, they could cut McCown or IR Thorson before Suds comes back.  

I think it's 50-50 this move or Thorson getting cut initially.  Doug has time to see, let's wait without rushing to conclusion.

Thanks BG, really haven't understood the big deal w/ the QB's except it's still the slow season and everyone needs a hobby.

1 minute ago, cunninghamtheman said:

That’s a cop out. It isn’t just that. It was every week you clamoring about how brilliant everything Chip was doing was. And I’ll try and get BYE.

Lol.. get bye with a little help from your friends.  

Lol with Chip.   He was a genius, he brought smoothies after practice..  unlike everyday people do at the gym.  He brought in sleep monitor... you know fit but than my wife and half the people wear now.   My favorite though... 2 days of discussion on the radio... he used a remote control car to simulate an offensive player going in motion during OTAs when you can't have offense vs defense on the field.  Genius!