DaveSpadaro

[News] Early Thinking On Some Roster Battles To Watch

1 hour ago, ASG15 said:

PS games don't mean much but you hate to see 9 penalties in the 1st half. Especially when most of them were dead ball penalties.

4 weeks ASG!  Cannot wait for the road trip!!  Should be a good game to watch. Not sure if you know Sarge from the old EMB, but he may come also. Nice guy and we have been going to games for the past 5 years. LOL my optometrist is going to that game too. Just in case you need your eyes checked!  LOL, he is a season ticket holder for over 20 years now.

8 minutes ago, stine said:

4 weeks ASG!  Cannot wait for the road trip!!  Should be a good game to watch. Not sure if you know Sarge from the old EMB, but he may come also. Nice guy and we have been going to games for the past 5 years. LOL my optometrist is going to that game too. Just in case you need your eyes checked!  LOL, he is a season ticket holder for over 20 years now.

My eyes are ok but I may need my head examined

I Googled mapped the trip and it's about 9.5 hours. we expect to get to GB about 2 PM on Thursday

Laughing so hard at all these peoples overreaction to Josh McCown. He did ok. Which is good for only being at practice a few days. But much of his ‘accomplishment’ came because of BS. First it was the second half of a preseason game. Hardly a place to get all crazy about a forty year old QB. If a 17 year vet can’t do anything in the second half of a PS game then you just cut him right away. But also both his TDs were ‘allowed’ by circumstances that REAL football wouldn’t have provided. Harbaugh accepted a penalty that he wouldn’t remotely consider during the season. That gave McCown another chance at a TD and he delivered to JJ. Better than not making the play, for sure. But it was a manufactured down by Harbaugh to get his team another redzone rep. The other TD was buoyed by going for it on fourth down instead of kicking the field goal. Pedey loves going for it on fourth but wasn’t a time he would have. That’s both TDs that McCown ‘earned.’ So his 192 yards and 2 TDs really with taking away those two strictly preseason events was 145 yards with zero TDs. Like I said I’m not hating on McCown...he just came on board. I just read and heard too much craziness about how great he was.

21 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

Laughing so hard at all these peoples overreaction to Josh McCown. He did ok. Which is good for only being at practice a few days. But much of his ‘accomplishment’ came because of BS. First it was the second half of a preseason game. Hardly a place to get all crazy about a forty year old QB. If a 17 year vet can’t do anything in the second half of a PS game then you just cut him right away. But also both his TDs were ‘allowed’ by circumstances that REAL football wouldn’t have provided. Harbaugh accepted a penalty that he wouldn’t remotely consider during the season. That gave McCown another chance at a TD and he delivered to JJ. Better than not making the play, for sure. But it was a manufactured down by Harbaugh to get his team another redzone rep. The other TD was buoyed by going for it on fourth down instead of kicking the field goal. Pedey loves going for it on fourth but wasn’t a time he would have. That’s both TDs that McCown ‘earned.’ So his 192 yards and 2 TDs really with taking away those two strictly preseason events was 145 yards with zero TDs. Like I said I’m not hating on McCown...he just came on board. I just read and heard too much craziness about how great he was.

For me the QB takeaway was McCown, after only 3 days of practice, played better than Kessler after having all TC.

Neither one of which is likely to win a SB for us so Wentz needs to stay healthy.

22 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

. Like I said I’m not hating on McCown...he just came on board. I just read and heard too much craziness about how great he was.

Yes.... yes... and yes.    

The fact that it's preseason which in itself is BS football without strategy of trying to win.... and 2, the players who are in the game at that time.    Hopefully we all realize this, yet the intensity some watch these games with and live and die on plays still baffles me.

A player showing some physical signs of skill and movement is pretty much all that we should look for.  Let's not overreact... on any of these guys, which includes Dillard being a pro bowl level LT at this point.    But nice to see some signs.  

2 hours ago, stine said:

I grabbed my TE in the 3rd and just missed getting Kittles by one pick. My feeling is there are not allot of options there, so best to get one early. Lots of RB's and WR's after the top tier is gone. SO RB/WR/TE is my thinking....

yeah looks like Zeke will be re-contracted,so no worries if that happens today or tomorrow.I draft Sunday.if he rejects the contract,then I will have to shuffle around 

36 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

Laughing so hard at all these peoples overreaction to Josh McCown.

It’s Eagles fans and media it’s what they do over react on every little thing....

14 minutes ago, BleedingGreen93 said:

It’s Eagles fans and media it’s what they do over react on every little thing....

52 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

I never said he was great.I view him as Foles 2.0. It's not an overreaction to say he played well after being here a short time. I don;t care about what harbaugh did or didn't do.Fact remains McCown looked like a solid 2.

10 hours ago, cunninghamtheman said:

I will say Jenkins had his career years here under Undlin. McLeod has looked very good. Maddox came out of nowhere. Got a late rounder in Mills to be a SB starter. Patrick Robinson had his career season here. Douglas was picked a round higher than predicted. Darby has flashed but gotten injured. I could argue got the most out of old man Corey Graham. Unlocked LeBlanc in the slot last season.  I could also go back to Denver where he unleashed Chris Harris and a great secondary he came from. Almost like Rowe and Jones are the only outliers. But Rowe wasn’t any good with the Pats after us either. Isn’t even with them anymore. So he’s kind of seeming like just a bad draft choice. Jones has been too injured to label bust yet. 

Tonight the secondary was terrible. Some of that has to fall on Undlin. But overall I’m not a hater. He’s done well with what he’s been given. We just don’t invest in the secondary like we do the line. And our two highest picks are looking like questionable picks more than coaching errors. We could have got him S Thornhill(my guy) in the second but instead took a RB(also my guy)and WR. Now I just read that Thornhill looks to be earning a starting spot with the Chiefs already in Spags defense.

Hindsight,hindsight,hindsight.If Undlin is so great where is JONES? That was a round 2 pick who has done little.He can't get better players in here? As in noone listens to his opinion? Either his opinions are being ignored or he can't coach the players he does get.We always seem to have secondary issues,why is that?

24 minutes ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

I never said he was great.I view him as Foles 2.0. It's not an overreaction to say he played well after being here a short time. I don;t care about what harbaugh did or didn't do.Fact remains McCown looked like a solid 2.

BTW Pedey never goes for it on 4th down? Do we watch the same team?

20 minutes ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

I wasn’t talking about you just stated that fans and media of philly sports have a tendency to over react over little things....Hell I can be guilty of this at times to 

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/11/24/nfl-teams-are-getting-smarter-and-better-on-fourth-downs/      Ham 🙄

14 minutes ago, BleedingGreen93 said:

I wasn’t talking about you just stated that fans and media of philly sports have a tendency to over react of little things....Hell I can be guilty of this at times to 

We all can,because we are INTENSE fans.if we didn't care,that wouldn't happen

25 minutes ago, BleedingGreen93 said:

I wasn’t talking about you just stated that fans and media of philly sports have a tendency to over react over little things....Hell I can be guilty of this at times to 

I am overreacting as to why our secondary is still looking like a HS team

IDK,maybe I am off base(probably),but maybe the fact we don't draft DB's high is because there is little faith in that areas coaching staff? Same with LB's? IDK something is wrong.After many many years of this BS we still have issues on BOTH sides of the secondary? Can we at least lock down 1 side someday? Some players we DO get are moved around to positions they did not excel at.And why does it seem our secondary players get hurt more than average? Maybe it's just me.I have no facts to back this,just the eye test.Done venting(lol) 

32 minutes ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

I am overreacting as to why our secondary is still looking like a HS team

OH BTW,the fact it was preseason is of little concern to me.even our 1's/2's got spanked when they played.All we have are tons of "mediocre".That doesn't cut it for me,so I have to side with Ham on this point."Someone" needs to pick up their game or be replaced(hint,it's not a player).it's our annual re-occurring fiasco(PS- I LIED about being done venting-deal with it)

34 minutes ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

He sure looked better... PS game or not, those players are fighting for their NFL life. McCown was definitely better than Kessler , looked much calmer and in control of this Offense after, WHAT? Two practices, than Suds. Probably better suited to be a #2 than Suds because he has accepted a backup role mentality Aside from his on the field 122 Qb rating last night. His experience could prove to be another excellent resource for Wentz. Also I won’t make light of his performance as he has probably NEVER had the level of talented surrounding him as he does now, and an area where Doug doesn’t get enough credit, Peedy should have COY not McVay.” Yea I am a hater.” . Peedy is one of the ONLY coaches in the league to beat a Bellacheat team performing at their best on the biggest stage. McCown could  be quite the find. Pre season this year, is just NOT what we’ve been used to seeing the last three decades. They should force the NFL to STOP charging for these games.

59 minutes ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

I don't think Ham is talking about you.  Remember that us locals here are subject to Eagles news/talk ... post game shows, radio, tv...etc.  You have to make an effort to avoid it, rather than you having to make an effort to get involved.   McCown was the news here... even made our favorite Skip and Shannon show this morning. 

UGH nice job by the Jets picking up ILB Stephone Anthony on the CHEAP.He was a #1 pick 4 years ago

13 minutes ago, joemas6 said:

I don't think Ham is talking about you.  Remember that us locals here are subject to Eagles news/talk ... post game shows, radio, tv...etc.  You have to make an effort to avoid it, rather than you having to make an effort to get involved.   McCown was the news here... even made our favorite Skip and Shannon show this morning. 

Well it was a bright spot in an otherwise lackluster game

16 minutes ago, joemas6 said:

My take(for what little time he has been here) was that he was as "adequate" as Foles.So I can't say this was a terrible decision,in fact is was a smart one.We all want Wentz to go the whole season,however having a game manager like McCown/Foles,is never a bad thing when you need it.Suds has no way to counter McCown's run at being QB#2,but it is what it is

3 minutes ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

UGH nice job by the Jets picking up ILB Stephone Anthony on the CHEAP.He was a #1 pick 4 years ago

Well it was a bright spot in an otherwise lackluster game

Idk... I was out with the family,  checked the score to see 26-0... but was checking in to see injuries.   Circdesole .. or whatever it's called... fun show.  

16 minutes ago, joemas6 said:

Idk... I was out with the family,  checked the score to see 26-0... but was checking in to see injuries.   Circdesole .. or whatever it's called... fun show.  

Yes very entertaining!! Cirque du solee(Circus of the sun in French lol)

1 minute ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

My take(for what little time he has been here) was that he was as "adequate" as Foles.So I can't say this was a terrible decision,in fact is was a smart one.We all want Wentz to go the whole season,however having a game manager like McCown/Foles,is never a bad thing when you need it.Suds has no way to counter McCown's run at being QB#2,but it is what it is

GBFL... I don't think anyone argues.  We need a #2, Suds is hurt, the other guys aren't good enough or ready yet.   

Again... you aren't here to see the local reaction... which I'm sure was BG and Hams point.  It's a little overkill.

14 minutes ago, joemas6 said:

GBFL... I don't think anyone argues.  We need a #2, Suds is hurt, the other guys aren't good enough or ready yet.   

Again... you aren't here to see the local reaction... which I'm sure was BG and Hams point.  It's a little overkill.

True.I am far away.I get news "trickles" unless it pertains to the Bucs or Fins