DaveSpadaro

[News] Early Thinking On Some Roster Battles To Watch

2 hours ago, cunninghamtheman said:

I can’t really speak for the rest of the secondary injuries. But Darby and Jones seem injury prone. Two of our biggest investments at CB. That isn’t on Undlin.

Jones was injured when we drafted him?

Jones hurt himself on the last drill at his WA pro day. That's what knocked him from 1st to 2nd Rd. 

Mills, Maddox, Douglas, Jones, LeBlanc, Sendejo, Cyprien. Cheap cheap cheap cheap cheap got to remember that. While  paying DJax, Jeffrey, Agholor, Ertz, Peters, Kelce, Johnson, Brooks, Wentz ....we are bargain basement pricing on most of the secondary. Jenkins is getting paid. Plays like it. When evaluating the coaching job this has to be a factor.

SO if you aren't paying great players,don't expect great things.All I am saying is we re-built the O but once again ignored the secondary and it wasn't only this year.At some point we need to draft some TOP rooks or get a TOP guy off FA if you expect this unit not to stink.So basically Undlin can't convince a soul,that he needs much better players.If he can't get his point across,then someone else is to blame for the annual poor performance..And if that's the case,then neither you or I can complain that they look like a hot mess

17 minutes ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

SO if you aren't paying great players,don't expect great things.All I am saying is we re-built the O but once again ignored the secondary and it wasn't only this year.At some point we need to draft some TOP rooks or get a TOP guy off FA if you expect this unit not to stink.So basically Undlin can't convince a soul,that he needs much better players.If he can't get his point across,then someone else is to blame for the annual poor performance..And if that's the case,then neither you or I can complain that they look like a hot mess

OH and BTW we did a fab job rebuilding the O,in fact we did it TOO well.We now have to cut some fine players while we still languish in the secondary cesspool.I hope we can trade some of these O players for d ones,but by now the pickins are slim.Best scenario at this point is we can trade them out for picks to use on SECONDARY players next draft.We either A) got lucky getting all these O guys here B) there is a better staff/evaluation on the O side than the D side. We also saw some super nice LB's get away recently(like Vander-Esch).I would just like to see a minor shift(sorry Joe- yeah ME,I,MY) to the D positions.Sad part of all this is we have alot of O players that will be going away next year unless we re-sign them,so we are back to square 1 again lol. Sanders we have for awhile and Nice to see Jjaw can take over.Just like to see some better evaluation on the D side

Sometimes you have to take what falls to you in the draft. Doubt Dillard was little more than a dream to us, Sanders still being there in the 2nd. Getting banged up so much didn't help.

3 hours ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

Exactly. We could have drafted Thornhill in the second. Instead we took a RB and WR. We should get a nice uptick on the offense. But you take the hit in the secondary. Sanders and JJ look very good. First round trade for Dillard looks outstanding. Hard to complain but so much. At least they got good players. We upped our own rushing and receiving but will take the hit in pass coverage. Paying Jeffrey, Ertz and DJax also factors in. Huge fifth year option on Agholor. Drafted Goedert first last year. Then kept old  Peters and Sproles. Priorities have been fairly clear.

Adding all these weapons on offense at least they got the Wentz extension done before he puts up the major stats he should achieve this year. Really no reason not to be a top five offense. That puts things heavily in Groh’s court. Big second year for him. The O has to produce!

Ham - haven't actually seen the rule but it seems Suds' gets paid unless traded. Only prob is keeping 3 QB's on the roster unless they IR him for 8 wks. I want to keep some of these players and we need the slot.

https://fansided.com/2019/08/22/jaguars-defensive-end-josh-allen-squishes-miami-dolphins/

Last week he mauled Mailata(as big as he is) but got stoned by Dillard. Wrecked havoc on the Phins in game three. So if you thought the very high pick wasn’t ready yet so not to judge Dillard much from that...maybe time to reconsider. Josh Allen should have been picked higher. He’s a stud pass rusher.

24 minutes ago, mjkline1958 said:

Ham - haven't actually seen the rule but it seems Suds' gets paid unless traded. Only prob is keeping 3 QB's on the roster unless they IR him for 8 wks. I want to keep some of these players and we need the slot.

I thought Clayton just said it would cost nothing to cut him. IR does seem very possible. But then do you bring Thorson in as the third?

We've seen Suds do some good things, haven't given up on him in any way, it's just that McGown's been there, done that and Suds hasn't.

Giving some credence to cutting back ob PS games, increasing inter team practices. Particularly now with the new CBA being discussed, I'd like to see a lot of these ideas come together.

Increased team size

Increased revenue for the players

Decrease PS games to 2

Maybe make those other 2 regular season games

Increase practice squad size and be able to protect some of them

If they decide to guarantee contracts, players can no longer hold out - tired of prima donnas!

Wish there was a way to hold player contracts to a percentage of salary cap. You draft a player not because he'll be bad, but because he'll be good for the team. So a pick is used, you develop him, he plays well and then he wants to extort the team.

Sky ref!

Increasing roster size and being able to control the practice squad players would limit the talent pool too much. You kind of want some players to be available for teams that get ravaged by injuries to have some recourse other than selling their soul to the devil with a trade. Those of us that play Fantasy Football get great realizations of this. The more teams and the bigger the roster the less options you have of picking up quality talent. Imagine the opposite way of doing things and just getting rid of two teams. The talent pool would be pretty stocked. Better quality of football all the way around.

That's why I'd like to increase the practice squad and be able to protect some of them. I believe there's a lot of talent, whether on a team or not, that needs either the right fit or time to develop. Sure there are other leagues, some in other countries, there's nothing like the NFL and unfortunately we don't have the farm teams some of us wanted for yrs.

Heading in, tomorrow.

59 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

Imagine the opposite way of doing things and just getting rid of two teams.

Not saying it can't or wouldn't be done, but I doubt if two teams will ever be extracted. The genie's already been left out of the bottle. The only way I see it happening is if two were to fall on their own…which I doubt. If you can't manage or hire other advisors to balance these yearly incomes then you shouldn't own a business. 

I get what you're sayin' though Ham. With two less teams there would be 106 more upper echelon/developed players.

4 hours ago, cunninghamtheman said:

I was big on Vander Esch but the Cowboys took him well before our pick. We didn’t let him get away. 

We could have maneuvered for him,so not true

4 hours ago, mjkline1958 said:

Let's sign Carli Lloyd for the intermediate FG's

Pfffffft

2 hours ago, mjkline1958 said:

Giving some credence to cutting back ob PS games, increasing inter team practices. Particularly now with the new CBA being discussed, I'd like to see a lot of these ideas come together.

Increased team size

Increased revenue for the players

Decrease PS games to 2

Maybe make those other 2 regular season games

Increase practice squad size and be able to protect some of them

If they decide to guarantee contracts, players can no longer hold out - tired of prima donnas!

Wish there was a way to hold player contracts to a percentage of salary cap. You draft a player not because he'll be bad, but because he'll be good for the team. So a pick is used, you develop him, he plays well and then he wants to extort the team.

Sky ref!

I'm not for increased revenue for the players.How about a ticket price reduction for fans???

Increasing roster size and being able to control the practice squad players would limit the talent pool too much. You kind of want some players to be available for teams that get ravaged by injuries to have some recourse other than selling their soul to the devil with a trade. Those of us that play Fantasy Football get great realizations of this. The more teams and the bigger the roster the less options you have of picking up quality talent. Imagine the opposite way of doing things and just getting rid of two teams. The talent pool would be pretty stocked. Better quality of football all the way around.

Well as you recall I am for a 56 roster and 12 on the PS with 2 you can "tag" as "not gettable".This wouldn't change much on availability of players.There is so much more talent than when these archaic rules were made 

7 hours ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

Ehh... not really.  Again I will say... we are built the right way.   The focus on defense is up front and in the middle.   Get a bunch of young guys to battle at CB.. the days of lockdown CB are done with these rules.  Also one lockdown guy for $15 mil isn't worth it when teams are putting out 3 or 4 WRs.  Multiple capable players are needed regardless if none of them are great. Better to invest in the other spots.. ie. 2017.  Injuries killed us in the secondary last year.  But we are way better than the end of Andy's era and Chip's era IMO.   Overpaid scrubs who were soft. 

14 minutes ago, joemas6 said:

Ehh... not really.  Again I will say... we are built the right way.   The focus on defense is up front and in the middle.   Get a bunch of young guys to battle at CB.. the days of lockdown CB are done with these rules.  Also one lockdown guy for $15 mil isn't worth it when teams are putting out 3 or 4 WRs.  Multiple capable players are needed regardless if none of them are great. Better to invest in the other spots.. ie. 2017.  Injuries killed us in the secondary last year.  But we are way better than the end of Andy's era and Chip's era IMO.   Overpaid scrubs who were soft. 

We'll see if that strategy pays off.QB's are getting the ball out faster,so having some coverage is as important as a pass rush.need a nice balance

7 hours ago, mjkline1958 said:

Sometimes you have to take what falls to you in the draft. Doubt Dillard was little more than a dream to us, Sanders still being there in the 2nd. Getting banged up so much didn't help.

Thrilled with both picks

4 minutes ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

We'll see if that strategy pays off.QB's are getting the ball out faster,so having some coverage is as important as a pass rush.need a nice balance

Yeah... it did in 2017 with the Superbowl