DaveSpadaro

[News] Early Thinking On Some Roster Battles To Watch

Recommended Posts

4 hours ago, cunninghamtheman said:

Exactly. We could have drafted Thornhill in the second. Instead we took a RB and WR. We should get a nice uptick on the offense. But you take the hit in the secondary. Sanders and JJ look very good. First round trade for Dillard looks outstanding. Hard to complain but so much. At least they got good players. We upped our own rushing and receiving but will take the hit in pass coverage. Paying Jeffrey, Ertz and DJax also factors in. Huge fifth year option on Agholor. Drafted Goedert first last year. Then kept old  Peters and Sproles. Priorities have been fairly clear.

Like I said Thornhill being good is hindsight.We all know the draft is a crapshoot.Noone even heard of JJaw before we got him lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, joemas6 said:

Yeah... it did in 2017 with the Superbowl

Thought our secondary was better then too though.Seems like our pass rush has the potential to be better than 2017,but we gave up secondary again

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Idk... how long have you been an Eagle fan? How many Superbowl wins have you seen? So yeah... the strategy of how to build the roster... it pretty much gave you the best results of your life.  Lol.  Yet..  of course we need complaints.     Best weapons,  best OL, best pass rush....  darn good safety combo...  pretty decent QB... ehh, let's complain about the secondary...lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, mjkline1958 said:

That's why I'd like to increase the practice squad and be able to protect some of them. I believe there's a lot of talent, whether on a team or not, that needs either the right fit or time to develop. Sure there are other leagues, some in other countries, there's nothing like the NFL and unfortunately we don't have the farm teams some of us wanted for yrs.

Heading in, tomorrow.

I really wanted that new league to succeed(AAF).That would have been a great place to pick up at least some BU players

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

Thought our secondary was better then too though.Seems like our pass rush has the potential to be better than 2017,but we gave up secondary again

Secondary of Mills, Darby, Jenkins and McCloud....   aren't all those guys still on the roster?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, joemas6 said:

Idk... how long have you been an Eagle fan? How many Superbowl wins have you seen? So yeah... the strategy of how to build the roster... it pretty much gave you the best results of your life.  Lol.  Yet..  of course we need complaints.     Best weapons,  best OL, best pass rush....  darn good safety combo...  pretty decent QB... ehh, let's complain about the secondary...lol

Face it,we got lucky some too(which it takes a little of).Doesn't mean I can't want better does it?

14 minutes ago, joemas6 said:

Secondary of Mills, Darby, Jenkins and McCloud....   aren't all those guys still on the roster?

So far

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You're never going to get another league to last as a developmental league for the NFL.    Too many obstacles and not enough money, talent or fan interest to successfully run that league.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, joemas6 said:

Idk... how long have you been an Eagle fan? How many Superbowl wins have you seen? So yeah... the strategy of how to build the roster... it pretty much gave you the best results of your life.  Lol.  Yet..  of course we need complaints.     Best weapons,  best OL, best pass rush....  darn good safety combo...  pretty decent QB... ehh, let's complain about the secondary...lol

Just because I see an area we need work on I am just to accept it? Anything wrong with wanting to improve?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

Face it,we got lucky some too(which it takes a little of).Doesn't mean I can't want better does it?

So far

Nah... best roster in the league in 2017, won despite a lot of key injuries

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, joemas6 said:

You're never going to get another league to last as a developmental league for the NFL.    Too many obstacles and not enough money, talent or fan interest to successfully run that league.

Not,not a great time of year to play either.Summer,people do other things

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, joemas6 said:

Nah... best roster in the league in 2017, won despite a lot of key injuries

1 or 2 plays different and we would not have won that game lol(Philly Special- strip sack)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, GreenbleedinFL said:

Just because I see an area we need work on I am just to accept it? Anything wrong with wanting to improve?

Nope... but DBs include safeties... of which we have one of the top combos in the league.  Darby is at minimum an average CB.  With how the rest of the team is built... kinda silly to complain about wanting less everywhere else or we invested too much in other areas.  Which is how you put it, not simply wanting better, but hinting their idea of how they built the roster was wrong. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

1 or 2 plays different and we would not have won that game lol(Philly Special- strip sack)

Works both ways... injuries would have changed things to help us too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

1 or 2 plays different and we would not have won that game lol(Philly Special- strip sack)

Cooks going out in the beginning with a concussion(of coarse we did that to him so we earned that advantage). Benching their starting Corner. That was pure Bellicheat egomaniacness. And we were underdogs the whole way. Weren’t favorited to win the SB on paper to start the season either. I still holdby much more than talent won that Super Bowl for us. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, joemas6 said:

Nope... but DBs include safeties... of which we have one of the top combos in the league.  Darby is at minimum an average CB.  With how the rest of the team is built... kinda silly to complain about wanting less everywhere else or we invested too much in other areas.  Which is how you put it, not simply wanting better, but hinting their idea of how they built the roster was wrong. 

Not wrong,but IMO we now have too many good O players when we could have picked up some better CB's.I also said perhaps the O side has better scouts /evaluators.It's JMO Joe,you don;t have to agree with me or argue with me

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, cunninghamtheman said:

Cooks going out in the beginning with a concussion(of coarse we did that to him so we earned that advantage). Benching their starting Corner. That was pure Bellicheat egomaniacness. And we were underdogs the whole way. Weren’t favorited to win the SB on paper to start the season either. I still holdby much more than talent won that Super Bowl for us. 

Sure...looking at it from a one game standpoint... you can always point out a play or two.  I can point out that Jax should have beaten New England.   But my point,  look at the top teams and their injuries..... our roster in 2017 was the best.  We aren't used to that here.. it took us by surprise.   Must be some divine intervention after all these years.  Well IMO.... 1991 and 2002 we were in a similar situation except for the fact that the QB injuries effected us in a worse way.   2017 was no fluke.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

Not wrong,but IMO we now have too many good O players when we could have picked up some better CB's.I also said perhaps the O side has better scouts /evaluators.It's JMO Joe,you don;t have to agree with me or argue with me

Idk.. I'm ok cutting any O player.  I don't think any of the bubble guys are particularly good.   Some may be backups for other teams, but for sure no embarrassment of riches IMO with Smallwood, Adams,  Ward or whoever else you wanna say.  Darby, Jenkins and McCloud is an above average 3 for sure.... and I like Maddox.   That group being that good when looking who they get to play behind.. I'm good.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, joemas6 said:

Sure...looking at it from a one game standpoint... you can always point out a play or two.  I can point out that Jax should have beaten New England.   But my point,  look at the top teams and their injuries..... our roster in 2017 was the best.  We aren't used to that here.. it took us by surprise.   Must be some divine intervention after all these years.  Well IMO.... 1991 and 2002 we were in a similar situation except for the fact that the QB injuries effected us in a worse way.   2017 was no fluke.  

Only way we lose is if we beat ourselves.We have the tools.Although I would like to see better CB's,I believe we will score more than we used to.So we will see if that trade off works.I'm glad Foles is starting.he deserves his shot.I am also glad we got McCown as Foles 2.0.In a pinch,I see little differrence between him and Foles and I'll bet he's super pleased to play with the talent this team has

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, joemas6 said:

Idk.. I'm ok cutting any O player.  I don't think any of the bubble guys are particularly good.   Some may be backups for other teams, but for sure no embarrassment of riches IMO with Smallwood, Adams,  Ward or whoever else you wanna say.  Darby, Jenkins and McCloud is an above average 3 for sure.... and I like Maddox.   That group being that good when looking who they get to play behind.. I'm good.

I can buy that.Jjaw will probably sit and that's a shame.But he'll live.I also can see us using him in GL sets

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

I was at the nest and when Brady had time left,everyone figured we were done 

Right.. and when they did a ranking of both rosters... Brady and Gronk.... and pretty much the Eagles owned the rest of the rankings. Best roster in 2017.. bar none! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, joemas6 said:

Right.. and when they did a ranking of both rosters... Brady and Gronk.... and pretty much the Eagles owned the rest of the rankings. Best roster in 2017.. bar none! 

It was the best that night and that's all that counts

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

I can buy that

Right.. so with Darby, Maddox, Jenkins and McCloud.... as the weakness... need I say more?  

Just now, GreenbleedinFL said:

It was the best that night and that's all that counts

Ehhh... was the best all season... the journey and the championship is more than just one night. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now