DaveSpadaro

[News] Early Thinking On Some Roster Battles To Watch

1 minute ago, joemas6 said:

Agree with last sentence because of #86 & #88 ....   not for any other reason.

I also foresee Ertz and Goedert having minor injuries. Each missing small chunks within a game. So no need to change the whole game plan and identity...just plug in the third TE and keep chugging. I think we have a few potential third TE that opposite Ertz or Goedert will  have good matchups. Some teams aren’t equipped to handle two TEs that can run and catch. Heck most teams. That is our advantage I expect us to utilize more than we have been.

14 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

I also foresee Ertz and Goedert having minor injuries. Each missing small chunks within a game. So no need to change the whole game plan and identity...just plug in the third TE and keep chugging. I think we have a few potential third TE that opposite Ertz or Goedert will  have good matchups. Some teams aren’t equipped to handle two TEs that can run and catch. Heck most teams. That is our advantage I expect us to utilize more than we have been.

How the heck can you foresee injuries?

2 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

Never said huge role for Perkins. Just saying used. And I was saying that the TE that we cut it wouldn’t surprise me to see them latch on and contribute to another team. Really strong position group. 

Surely..  I said 5 snaps... less than that...so I'm saying very minor.  Probably just goal line, but he contributes on ST... so good player.    I'm not familiar with our #5 TE to say he could contribute on another team, nor per our original conversation do I feel we over invested in our #5 TE to where I think we could have used that investment to improve.... Darby, Maddox, Jenkins and McCloud combo.  

3 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

I agree with the last sentence.. because of #s 86 and 88.

1 minute ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

How the heck can you foresee injuries?

No real reason. Just call it a gut feeling. Ertz and Goedert each have come off as guys that will miss a little time(or just a series or two). And that comes with being used. If you catch several passes you take hits and get tackled. Which leads to an ankle tweak that needs to be looked at and maybe taped up. Maybe a stinger. I don’t know? The possibilities are endless. 

14 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

No real reason. Just call it a gut feeling. Ertz and Goedert each have come off as guys that will miss a little time(or just a series or two). And that comes with being used. If you catch several passes you take hits and get tackled. Which leads to an ankle tweak that needs to be looked at and maybe taped up. Maybe a stinger. I don’t know? The possibilities are endless. 

Well we DO have sets where we use only 1 TE(or none),so if one is out........

Idk... 

1 minute ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

Well we DO have sets where we use only 1 TE(or none),so if one is out........

Exactly...you use the best players.   The starting formation... will be 50-50 Agholor or Goedert.   One of the TEs getting hurt doesn't necessarily put Perkins in that 50% or 40% playing time.   Probably go with more 3 WR sets.  Even some 4 WR sets.  Or extra OL thrown in.   

1 minute ago, joemas6 said:

I agree with the last sentence.. because of #s 86 and 88.

Yes but a Perkins or Rodgers or whoever look even better opposite one of those two guys. With DJax needing a S over the top. A real rushing threat going on. You basically are forgetting about that second TE. And at best you are covering him with your weakest coverage guy. Which Perkins,  Rodgers, Ellis or Tye...whoever can exploit. 

5 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

Agree.. just that if this occurs, doesn't necessarily put Perkins in there at same usage as Goedert would as a #2 TE.

Just now, joemas6 said:

Idk... 

Exactly...you use the best players.   The starting formation... will be 50-50 Agholor or Goedert.   One of the TEs getting hurt doesn't necessarily put Perkins in that 50% or 40% playing time.   Probably go with more 3 WR sets.  Even some 4 WR sets.  Or extra OL thrown in.   

But that isn’t the same matchup. Three or four WR sets brings in corresponding DBs. Two TE sets dictate more LB looks. 

11 personnel doesn’t draw the same defensive coverage as 12 personnel to put it simply

1 minute ago, cunninghamtheman said:

Yes but a Perkins or Rodgers or whoever look even better opposite one of those two guys. With DJax needing a S over the top. A real rushing threat going on. You basically are forgetting about that second TE. And at best you are covering him with your weakest coverage guy. Which Perkins,  Rodgers, Ellis or Tye...whoever can exploit. 

Or... instead of Perkins... you use Agholor or JJAW.  How about a formation with Sproles and another RB?  As you say possibilities are endless.   No knock on Perkins... he was good when the alternative was JMatt or Aiken or whoever else with Alshon and Wallace out last year.  

2 minutes ago, joemas6 said:

Idk... 

I don’t really agree with this. Sure you want to use the best players but that ignores matchup. And everytime you hear a coach speak all you hear is MATCHUPS. It’s huge. Some teams are going to have serious problems against two TE sets. Even if that only includes only one of Ertz/Goedert. If you have a capable third. Which is exactly what I’m saying we have.

3 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

But that isn’t the same matchup. Three or four WR sets brings in corresponding DBs. Two TE sets dictate more LB looks. 

11 personnel doesn’t draw the same defensive coverage as 12 personnel to put it simply

Right.... but the situation dictates also.. you are just anticipating a team throwing a scrub cover guy out there on Perkins.   I don't see it.  It's not the same as if he was Goedert as the#2

2 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

I don’t really agree with this. Sure you want to use the best players but that ignores matchup. And everytime you hear a coach speak all you hear is MATCHUPS. It’s huge. Some teams are going to have serious problems against two TE sets. Even if that only includes only one of Ertz/Goedert. If you have a capable third. Which is exactly what I’m saying we have.

Ham.... Doug is saying he wants to play Goedert more... come on man, read between the lines.... lol.

And run or pass out of a 12 set can be the trick. Keeping them off balance. Because normally a 12 personnel has a defense with run personnel. But not just personnel but also the defensive playcall. It all must be factored. It matters

4 minutes ago, joemas6 said:

Right.... but the situation dictates also.. you are just anticipating a team throwing a scrub cover guy out there on Perkins.   I don't see it.  It's not the same as if he was Goedert as the#2

I’m saying it’s more likely some teams cover Perkins as a second TE with a LB ....vs Agholor will be covered by a DB

Now does that defense have a better matchup with their Nickle corner vs Agholor or their second coverage LB vs Perkins(or whomever is the third TE stepping in)? Some teams their strength might be they have a great slot corner. You can’t just think purely from your side of the ball. The defense you are playing matters. How is the running game most effective? With a Tye(3rd TE filling in) or Agholor? If we are killing the matchup with 12 personnel then I’m cycling in that third TE even with Ertz and Goedert healthy. 

Ertz already has proven himself a matchup nightmare for DCs. You know a LB is in trouble. Many have tried to utilize S or CB. So I’m all about stressing their personnel. If that means 11 personnel ...that will happen plenty too. DJax, Jeffrey, Ertz, Agholor and a receiving back. Not many teams have coverage enough to handle that either.

I want to hit them with it all every week. Give a DC nightmares that whole week he’s trying to figure out what to do. You can’t get enough practice time in one week to cover but so many plays. Hit them with personnel problems. Hit them with RPOs. Hit them with a straight rushing attack they can’t stop.

13 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

I’m saying it’s more likely some teams cover Perkins as a second TE with a LB ....vs Agholor will be covered by a DB

Agree... then who covers Ertz or Goedert?

9 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

Now does that defense have a better matchup with their Nickle corner vs Agholor or their second coverage LB vs Perkins(or whomever is the third TE stepping in)? Some teams their strength might be they have a great slot corner. You can’t just think purely from your side of the ball. The defense you are playing matters. How is the running game most effective? With a Tye(3rd TE filling in) or Agholor? If we are killing the matchup with 12 personnel then I’m cycling in that third TE even with Ertz and Goedert healthy. 

Sure... that is you..   don't think Doug is thinking that way.  I think he is looking at Goedert playing well at the end of the year and improving this offseason so he wants to get him on the field.  It's ok, we disagree.... I don't need the talk that you would give a 5 year old about the matchups... I just think Doug meant he wants to get Goedert on the field,  so he said more 2 TE sets.  You thinks it's about Perkins and Tye... we disagree and we will see during the season if Perkins plays a lot as a #3 TE other than goal line.  Less than 5 snaps barring injury.

Well yes I’d say Pedey HAS underutilized two TE sets so far in his short coaching career. I think he could have got more out of Burton. I think he could have got more out of Goedert. Obviously Pedey now admits noticing the same.

11 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

I want to hit them with it all every week. Give a DC nightmares that whole week he’s trying to figure out what to do. You can’t get enough practice time in one week to cover but so many plays. Hit them with personnel problems. Hit them with RPOs. Hit them with a straight rushing attack they can’t stop.

Great... problem is you aren't in charge.   All sounds great. But Perkins on the field over DeSean, Agholor or JJAW... not seeing it much. 

McVay is obsessed with using 11 personnel. Seems like what he uses 70 percent of the time.  But we’ve seen Bellicheat utilize 12 personnel. And not just when he had Gronk and Hernandez.