DaveSpadaro

[News] Early Thinking On Some Roster Battles To Watch

3 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

Well yes I’d say Pedey HAS underutilized two TE sets so far in his short coaching career. I think he could have got more out of Burton. I think he could have got more out of Goedert. Obviously Pedey now admits noticing the same.

Yep... not a mention of Perkins though.

Just now, joemas6 said:

Great... problem is you aren't in charge.   All sounds great. But Perkins on the field over DeSean, Agholor or JJAW... not seeing it much. 

True! I’m not in charge. And Pedey didn’t get Goedert out there enough. But just saying you want Agholor over the third TE filling in as second TE ignores the matchup problems. Like I’ve been saying. It creates problems. Pass and run.

1 minute ago, cunninghamtheman said:

McVay is obsessed with using 11 personnel. Seems like what he uses 70 percent of the time.  But we’ve seen Bellicheat utilize 12 personnel. And not just when he had Gronk and Hernandez. 

That's great... again... I don't see Doug playing Perkins regularly over DeSean or Agholor. 

If we run the ball for 8 yards a pop with 12 personnel do you still obsess with getting Agholor on the field?

And then when they key on the run how much more open does the passing game become?

True! I’m not in charge. And Pedey didn’t get Goedert out there enough. But just saying you want Agholor over the third TE filling in as second TE ignores the matchup problems. Like I’ve been saying. It creates problems. Pass and run.

Yes... when it's Goedert... not the same when it's Perkins.  The label of the position doesn't automatically create a mismatch.  

If we run the ball for 8 yards a pop with 12 personnel do you still obsess with getting Agholor on the field?

And then when they key on the run how much more open does the passing game become?

No....I would keep the 12 personnel with Ertz and Goedert as much as possible before going back to 3 WR.

1 minute ago, joemas6 said:

Yes... when it's Goedert... not the same when it's Perkins.  The label of the position doesn't automatically create a mismatch.  

Absolutely right. Goedert is a beast. Rodgers, Perkins, Tye, Ellis aren’t as good. But I am saying they are a mismatch for several teams in certain defensive coverages. 

No....I would keep the 12 personnel with Ertz and Goedert as much as possible before going back to 3 WR.

But say it’s missing Ertz or Goedert and doing that

So we play a defense with the best slot corner in the league. Goedert gets hurt the first series. What do you do?

Idk... is Goedert going to get hurt in the one game where we play the best slot corner in the league?  So yes... in that exact case.... which is very common.... a particular player getting injured in the game where we play a team that has the best player at exactly the perfect position to make your point.... sure we can play Perkins 20 or 25 snaps. 

Are we playing the team with the best slot corner?  

Idk... is Goedert going to get hurt in the one game where we play the best slot corner in the league?  So yes... in that exact case.... which is very common.... a particular player getting injured in the game where we play a team that has the best player at exactly the perfect position to make your point.... sure we can play Perkins 20 or 25 snaps. 

Are we playing the team with the best slot corner?  

So now let’s say Ertz gets hurt first series when playing a team that their LBs struggle in coverage. What do you do?

2 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

Rodgers, Perkins, Ellis, Tye aren’t the best  single TE in 11 personnel matchup problems for teams. But as the second TE...they are a matchup problem for the majority of defenses

Idk... don't know much about these guys to where they are a matchup problem. I know Rodgers played with the real Rodgers.  He was let go though. The other guys.  Not worried about.   Not to where I think we over did it to where I am complaining about Darby, Maddox,  Jenkins and McCloud. 

Just now, joemas6 said:

Idk... don't know much about these guys to where they are a matchup problem. I know Rodgers played with the real Rodgers.  He was let go though. The other guys.  Not worried about.   Not to where I think we over did it to where I am complaining about Darby, Maddox,  Jenkins and McCloud. 

Different argument. I only said the said the only guy on offense I was really worried about cutting was a TE.

Just now, cunninghamtheman said:

So now let’s say Ertz gets hurt first series when playing a team that their LBs struggle in coverage. What do you do?

So lets say Ertz, Goedert and Perkins get hurt... what do you do?  Do you change the station? Do you go ask Doug if you can play TE? Do you use a FB? Do you play Sproles with another RB plus 3 TEs? 

Idk.... again as I said... barring injury where Perkins becomes the #2 TE... I don't think he is used much other than goal line.  5 snaps per game. 

Rodgers went for over 500 yards and 8 TDs. That’s respectable. Definitely worth utilizing. And just imagine him being the second TE to have to deal with instead of the top TE. That’s a problem for defenses. 

Different argument. I only said the said the only guy on offense I was really worried about cutting was a TE.

Who are you worried about cutting?

So lets say Ertz, Goedert and Perkins get hurt... what do you do?  Do you change the station? Do you go ask Doug if you can play TE? Do you use a FB? Do you play Sproles with another RB plus 3 TEs? 

Idk.... again as I said... barring injury where Perkins becomes the #2 TE... I don't think he is used much other than goal line.  5 snaps per game. 

That’s fine. But our identity will have 12 personnel involved more this season. So a third in case of injury will be important.

Just now, cunninghamtheman said:

Rodgers went for over 500 yards and 8 TDs. That’s respectable. Definitely worth utilizing. And just imagine him being the second TE to have to deal with instead of the top TE. That’s a problem for defenses. 

Yes... he produced those #s because he was the #1 TE who had the targets.. lol.... come on now.  Stop already... dime a dozen guys behind our 2 studs.  Nobody worth worrying about if they go. 

Who are you worried about cutting?

Not really worried. But we need to make a wise choice. Because like I said I believe the TEs we cut will latch on and contribute to other teams. I especially don’t want to see a guy develop into a very good TE and we just let him go. Ertz and Goedert are beast! But I still want to keep good players. Those guys aren’t outperforming those two anytime soon. But hey pick the best one and he covers for a game or two for injury and looks good and you have trade bait at the least.

That’s fine. But our identity will have 12 personnel involved more this season. So a third in case of injury will be important.

Our identity will have.... Alshon, DeSean, Ertz, RB.... with Agholor  or Goedert ... Goedert's play will have more impact on 2 TE sets being utilized... more than 2 TE sets will effect why he plays more

I’ll make the opposite argument against 12 personnel. The Cowboys. They matchup well with two TE sets. I believe we can attack their slot corner. I lean more 11 personnel vs them. Not because I believe Agholor is better than Goedert.

Not really worried. But we need to make a wise choice. Because like I said I believe the TEs we cut will latch on and contribute to other teams. I especially don’t want to see a guy develop into a very good TE and we just let him go. Ertz and Goedert are beast! But I still want to keep good players. Those guys aren’t outperforming those two anytime soon. But hey pick the best one and he covers for a game or two for injury and looks good and you have trade bait at the least.

Don't see it.  Not worried about another guy being a backup on another team.. not to where I think we over did it at that spot... ie 5th TE ... instead of investing more in the secondary.  So Tye gets a backup job elsewhere..  ...if that's a concern we are in store for a great season. 

I’ll make the opposite argument against 12 personnel. The Cowboys. They matchup well with two TE sets. I believe we can attack their slot corner. I lean more 11 personnel vs them. Not because I believe Agholor is better than Goedert.

Idk... who did better vs Dallas Agholor or Goedert?  I recall a long TD that got called back to Goedert, bogus penalty... not sure Agholor did much?