DaveSpadaro

[News] Early Thinking On Some Roster Battles To Watch

1 minute ago, cunninghamtheman said:

To ME the opponent matters.

Yeah.... me too.  So I don't want to throw out a weaker player of mine.  Ie. You won't ever convince me Perkins will play a major role with this team.  Could as a backup play a decent supporting role at #2... not to where I think he is used to create a mismatch though.   Teams are playing nickel vs 2 TEs now. Different game.  I don't see him as a monster blocker either. Good theory... not the right player.

2 minutes ago, joemas6 said:

Don't see it.  Not worried about another guy being a backup on another team.. not to where I think we over did it at that spot... ie 5th TE ... instead of investing more in the secondary.  So Tye gets a backup job elsewhere..  ...if that's a concern we are in store for a great season. 

Never said anything like that. But out of all these quality backup TE i don’t want to let a good one go. Not just this season but period. I’d like to keep the best one as our third. I don’t care about compared to keeping any secondary players. I just want to make a wise choice. And of offensive roster bubble guys I really only see making a mistake with a TE. Smallwood, Pumphrey, Johnson....I’m not too concerned with any of them going. I could see us cutting a TE that becomes pretty good. That’s all I said. Thorson could be the only other one. But these decisions effect more than just this one season. We have two potentially elite TEs. So I’m not thinking Ellis or whomever is better. But one of these TE we cut will be better than some players we keep. Just the way I see it.

If Agholor gets hurt... not sure JJAW strictly in the slot.  I think they mix it up.  I think DeSean and Alshon will line up in the slot some.. even with Agholor on the field.  Lots you can do with DeSean and Agholor combo. 

4 minutes ago, joemas6 said:

Yeah.... me too.  So I don't want to throw out a weaker player of mine.  Ie. You won't ever convince me Perkins will play a major role with this team.  Could as a backup play a decent supporting role at #2... not to where I think he is used to create a mismatch though.   Teams are playing nickel vs 2 TEs now. Different game.  I don't see him as a monster blocker either. Good theory... not the right player.

I said Perkins, Rodgers, Ellis, Tye ...whomever wins the third job. But yeah go ahead and play Nickle vs our twelve personnel. We will run the ball down your throat. And you still have to account for DJax burning you over the top with an extra deep S. So what are you doing about Ertz? I’m just saying if you zig...I like to zag. But even Perkins is a better blocker than Agholor if you are giving me the same defenders either way. Usually slot corners are the smaller guys. Good luck with your 5’ 9” 175 pound dB having to hold ground against even Perkins. Rodgers would just end his night. Then you are on your backup slot corner. Win/win. And tell me that slot corner if not completely injured isn’t hurting and more tired and worn out dealing with a TE vs our slot WR. What kind of juice does he have left in the fourth quarter. That’s what I’m talking about.

I believe that’s the way Bellicheat thinks a lot. He doesn’t care. He’s going with the best matchups that game...that moment. You have a guy get hurt....he’s attacking it. He’ll move his top DB on your TE. Listen to a DC or OC talk shop. How many times do they say MATCHUPS?

Has a coach been known for slot receiver and two TE set more than Bellicheat? Welker,Edelman...still hasn’t stopped him from utilizing two TEs. Why you think that is? Surely not because the second TE was better than Edelman or Welker.

I think I got it figured out to McCown was 14-21 for 135 yards. His quality stats really not full of bs. Harbaugh gift and a fourth down go for it that wouldn’t have been a a go for it opportunity.

He just joined the team. So really not too bad. Just not buoyed with the bs stats that fanboys want to spin.

36 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

I think I got it figured out to McCown was 14-21 for 135 yards. His quality stats really not full of bs. Harbaugh gift and a fourth down go for it that wouldn’t have been a a go for it opportunity.

He just joined the team. So really not too bad. Just not buoyed with the bs stats that fanboys want to spin.

For just stepping off a plane,in new surroundings with guys you don't even know,I think that's pretty damn good! And once again you have ZERO clue if Ped would have gone for it in a real game.I already posted those

47 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

I want to pluck you out of your job,take you to a similar place 6-7 hours away.Put you in your chair and say to  you "OK be productive" .I'd like to see you be as productive as the place I plucked you from because you were "laid off" from that place for 3 weeks and accomplish this without knowing anyone,the systems in place,or where you go to get new printer ink. Dang give the guy a break lol

10 hours ago, cunninghamtheman said:

I said Perkins, Rodgers, Ellis, Tye ...whomever wins the third job. But yeah go ahead and play Nickle vs our twelve personnel. We will run the ball down your throat. And you still have to account for DJax burning you over the top with an extra deep S. So what are you doing about Ertz? I’m just saying if you zig...I like to zag. But even Perkins is a better blocker than Agholor if you are giving me the same defenders either way. Usually slot corners are the smaller guys. Good luck with your 5’ 9” 175 pound dB having to hold ground against even Perkins. Rodgers would just end his night. Then you are on your backup slot corner. Win/win. And tell me that slot corner if not completely injured isn’t hurting and more tired and worn out dealing with a TE vs our slot WR. What kind of juice does he have left in the fourth quarter. That’s what I’m talking about.

I agree ... Perkins and Rodgers are just dominating mismatches...  it's why they are highly paid in demand type of players.   Lol. Relax a little there.  Go back to Dillard being pro bowl this year... more realistic.  

3 hours ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

I want to pluck you out of your job,take you to a similar place 6-7 hours away.Put you in your chair and say to  you "OK be productive" .I'd like to see you be as productive as the place I plucked you from because you were "laid off" from that place for 3 weeks and accomplish this without knowing anyone,the systems in place,or where you go to get new printer ink. Dang give the guy a break lol

GBFL, again...  you aren't seeing all the super hype about McCown.  Solid job for sure, don't see anyone disagreeing... Ham just pointing out the obsession about it up here.  McCown to JJAW to beat Dallas in the 1981 NFC Title game type stuff...lol. 

10 hours ago, cunninghamtheman said:

I believe that’s the way Bellicheat thinks a lot. He doesn’t care. He’s going with the best matchups that game...that moment. You have a guy get hurt....he’s attacking it. He’ll move his top DB on your TE. Listen to a DC or OC talk shop. How many times do they say MATCHUPS?

Ham.... so let's rewind a conversation we had a few years back regarding a true #1 CB ... shutdown CB.  I said I didn't need one , I would rather have multiple capable CBs that could " MATCHUP" across the board.  Because teams go 3 and 4 WRs now.  I would prefer my group to be able to handle options 2-5 ... with the double teams on option #1.   The offense only needs one mismatch as far as receiver vs coverage.  Similar to DL needing only one mismatch.  

I love your theory... just disagree to the extent that you are going. It's about Goedert being the mismatch as the #2 TE... not just plugging in any other guy.

NE usage of double TE dipped once Hernandez was gone.  Sure they still used it, how often did you see the other TE making big contributions in the pass game?   Bennett did, but Gronk was out a lot of that time.. yet it's Bennett,  not just any guy like Perkins or Tye.  Players matter, it's the main factor in "mismatches" ... just because you label 223lb guy a TE, doesn't automatically make him a mismatch vs any coverage.   Sure I hope his blocking improves, he's not a road grader, nor would a 175 guy necessarily be the first line of defense vs the run.  You are simplifying things too much.  If it were that easy,  every team with dime a dozen guys like Perkins or even JMatt who is basically same size, would be dominating with the matchups.   There is a reason the talented players are the ones who cause the matchup problem,  not so much just a formation.

1 hour ago, joemas6 said:

GBFL, again...  you aren't seeing all the super hype about McCown.  Solid job for sure, don't see anyone disagreeing... Ham just pointing out the obsession about it up here.  McCown to JJAW to beat Dallas in the 1981 NFC Title game type stuff...lol. 

OH I didn't get out my pom poms.Just saying for the short time he has been here he did fine as a #2.Everyone expects new people to be stars on day 1 lol.SO I have to defend him a little bit.In the event of a Wentz injury,I would be ok with him at the helm. Superstar nope,solid 2? Yep,same as Foles was.I just hate when some think they are supposed to perform after 3 days with a new club.it takes longer,but he did very well for the time he has been here

Sure. like most didn't feel comfy w/ Suds as the b/u, esp after Foles. Then again, a lot were not comfy w/ Foles as the b/u. He was only successful under chip, sucked afterwards. Foles pretty much sucked initially b/c we had him playing the same O as Wentz. Foles is NOT Wentz! Never will he, he'll never want to be - he's himself. Once we adjusted the O to Foles' strengths, we took off. Suds has had 3 yrs to learn and play in this O and played some nice downs. Not counting him out in the least, he's still young and there's a lot he still has to learn. McGown came in and 6 days in he's in a PS game and adjusting coverage! The OL was so amazed they were laughing! McGown is an above avg QB ( same as Eli ) who has played in so many systems. Seems he looked at this system and each part reminds him "OK - I played this here, that there" and he's able to adapt quickly. I'm more comfortable w/ McGown, and Suds gets another yr to learn then make it or break it.

It's nice talking about b/u's rather than "who are we going to get to start" wherever.

Yes... the last 2 posts are nice about McCown.... one guy in Florida and another in New England.  Very solid and modest observations.

Much different than the local flavor is the point with McCown to Whiteside as the play of the century type hype.  

Nice performance... very solid.  That's enough to keep it like that... Ham, BG and myself are just pointing out how extreme it is here.  Doesn't mean we are downplaying MvCown.  

My Dead Momma could make a completion to JJAW - she always did throw high! What an addition. This last draft pretty much amazed me. 1st 3 rds, 3 immediate "quality" starters - realy can't ask for more than that

2 hours ago, joemas6 said:

Yes... the last 2 posts are nice about McCown.... one guy in Florida and another in New England.  Very solid and modest observations.

Much different than the local flavor is the point with McCown to Whiteside as the play of the century type hype.  

Nice performance... very solid.  That's enough to keep it like that... Ham, BG and myself are just pointing out how extreme it is here.  Doesn't mean we are downplaying MvCown.  

Yeah sorry,that's all we have to go on in both places.We don't get the deluge when we feel a drop of water lol.Ugh TS Dorian looks like is gonna come this way.That time of year,here we go again.It's at least a week away

Welcome the company GB, figurede you'd be at the nest - widh we had one here!

Did you see this today?

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/08/24/report-dolphins-could-trade-or-cut-kenny-stills-reshad-jones-kiko-alonso/

We wouldn't pay but wouls wait for the cuts. This is going to be a very interesting cut season. Kiko cheap, hell yeah!

1 hour ago, mjkline1958 said:

Welcome the company GB, figurede you'd be at the nest - widh we had one here!

Did you see this today?

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/08/24/report-dolphins-could-trade-or-cut-kenny-stills-reshad-jones-kiko-alonso/

We wouldn't pay but wouls wait for the cuts. This is going to be a very interesting cut season. Kiko cheap, hell yeah!

They have this new "star" in the making(Preston something).other than that really they are far from contending.If it's an even swap,they could do that,but it's not like they are 2 players away from a SB run lol

Worrilow retired now? He just went to Baltimore lol

5 hours ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

OH I didn't get out my pom poms.Just saying for the short time he has been here he did fine as a #2.Everyone expects new people to be stars on day 1 lol.SO I have to defend him a little bit.In the event of a Wentz injury,I would be ok with him at the helm. Superstar nope,solid 2? Yep,same as Foles was.I just hate when some think they are supposed to perform after 3 days with a new club.it takes longer,but he did very well for the time he has been here

I stated "not bad”. Not sure what you felt the need to defend from that statement from me?