DaveSpadaro

[News] Early Thinking On Some Roster Battles To Watch

2 hours ago, Don Corleone said:

Image result for oh noes gif

Yeah, there were articles from nearly every beat writer withing about 15 minutes of Luck announcing his retirement.

I don't think the eagles will trade Sudfeld, they wanted him to be Wentz's back-up, it's just unfortunate he got hurt. Because of that, they'll probably keep 3 QB's on the roster this year and go with 4 RB's. I initially had them keeping 5 RB's with Smallwood being the 5th, but Sudfeld's injury changed things.

It's great to be in a place where people are in a panic about whether a back up QB with about 25 regular season passes might be traded.

How did Brissett play in 2017? I really didn't follow him in Indy.  Know he did decent in NE.

1 minute ago, joemas6 said:

How did Brissett play in 2017? I really didn't follow him in Indy.  Know he did decent in NE.

Numbers wise

Under 60% completion percentage, 58.8%, 13 TD's 7 INT's and 2 yards shy of 3100 passing yards

16 minutes ago, Don Corleone said:

Numbers wise

Under 60% completion percentage, 58.8%, 13 TD's 7 INT's and 2 yards shy of 3100 passing yards

Their OL really stunk though until last year ... probably a huge factor.    IDK... wouldn't doubt it if they call us about Suds.  Long way til trade deadline.  

1 minute ago, joemas6 said:

Their OL really stunk though until last year ... probably a huge factor.

No doubt about it. Ryan Grigson didn't do Luck or Brissett any favors. Irsay for that matter too.

Time for Round 2 at PSU. Not as bad as Round 1, but still negative. Has me wondering whether or not Sanders was one cleared to play before completely healthy seeing as he wasn't right when he arrived in Philly.

https://fox43.com/2019/08/26/former-orthopedic-physician-for-penn-state-football-team-claims-james-franklin-pressured-him-to-clear-players-from-injury-in-lawsuit/

37 minutes ago, EaglesTD123 said:

Time for Round 2 at PSU. Not as bad as Round 1, but still negative. Has me wondering whether or not Sanders was one cleared to play before completely healthy seeing as he wasn't right when he arrived in Philly.

https://fox43.com/2019/08/26/former-orthopedic-physician-for-penn-state-football-team-claims-james-franklin-pressured-him-to-clear-players-from-injury-in-lawsuit/

Tough case to win.Physicians have opinions like everyone else.So who is to decide who's opinion was right? 

54 minutes ago, joemas6 said:

Their OL really stunk though until last year ... probably a huge factor.    IDK... wouldn't doubt it if they call us about Suds.  Long way til trade deadline.  

Oline and Head Coach they did a 180. I expect Brissett to do well. He’s not Luck but he’s better than any QB in DC.

I remember when the Colts had no Defense.They were simply "good enough" to get Peyton back on the field.They just outscored you.maybe their D is better now,enough to give Brisset a few extra chances each game

Sorry I amstill picking up Hilton in fantasy,although now I am able to get him later,which is fine by me. last draft I was able to get him late enough to be my flex(WR-TE flex only).Thanks for the gift!!!

15 minutes ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

Sorry I amstill picking up Hilton in fantasy,although now I am able to get him later,which is fine by me. last draft I was able to get him late enough to be my flex(WR-TE flex only).Thanks for the gift!!!

TY in 2017 ... 996 yards and 4 TDs.    You would think better with a better team around him now, but we'll see.   Since you can only use TE or Wr as a flex, he would add more value there than if you could also use a RB.   With Luck he was easily a bottom tier 1 or top tier 2 WR.  

55 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

Oline and Head Coach they did a 180. I expect Brissett to do well. He’s not Luck but he’s better than any QB in DC.

Ham, IMO Peyton was excellent at making up for not having the best OL.  His cadence, timing, all the fluff stuff and just awareness.   Luck wasn't the same and the OL got even worse for him.  I do think Luck was good with the cadence though, just not all the other stuff to where a QB an protect himself.  Peyton also knew his limitations physically,   tougher on a Luck ...similar to Wentz.   When you are Peyton and you yell at everyone to get the play right... compared to Luck who can make up for a mistake with his physical ability ... you know to get rid of the ball ASAP, and its not your fault.  These better athletes always think its up to them to extend a play, partially their fault if they play just gets killed with a throw away.  

Smart for us to start with a good OL from the beginning with Wentz.   My bigger issue though, isn't his trying to extend a play, even though he does... its standing there and taking a shot while in the pocket.  They throw an extra #, and our RB misses a block or assignment.   We clean that up, I think the rest falls into place.  Never did for Luck... firedrill from the start up until last year.  Archie Manning 2.0....lol

51 minutes ago, joemas6 said:

TY in 2017 ... 996 yards and 4 TDs.    You would think better with a better team around him now, but we'll see.   Since you can only use TE or Wr as a flex, he would add more value there than if you could also use a RB.   With Luck he was easily a bottom tier 1 or top tier 2 WR.  

I suspect a slow start,not kidding myself there,but as Brisset gets more chemistry,could have been a nice move.I have other flexes if I see he's not cutting it.Like Dede in Jax.he was there so I took him late also lol

20 minutes ago, joemas6 said:

Ham, IMO Peyton was excellent at making up for not having the best OL.  His cadence, timing, all the fluff stuff and just awareness.   Luck wasn't the same and the OL got even worse for him.  I do think Luck was good with the cadence though, just not all the other stuff to where a QB an protect himself.  Peyton also knew his limitations physically,   tougher on a Luck ...similar to Wentz.   When you are Peyton and you yell at everyone to get the play right... compared to Luck who can make up for a mistake with his physical ability ... you know to get rid of the ball ASAP, and its not your fault.  These better athletes always think its up to them to extend a play, partially their fault if they play just gets killed with a throw away.  

Smart for us to start with a good OL from the beginning with Wentz.   My bigger issue though, isn't his trying to extend a play, even though he does... its standing there and taking a shot while in the pocket.  They throw an extra #, and our RB misses a block or assignment.   We clean that up, I think the rest falls into place.  Never did for Luck... firedrill from the start up until last year.  Archie Manning 2.0....lol

As weird as it may sound,I'd like to see Wentz throw some balls away.That comes with maturity,that sometimes the play is simply not there.While I'm all for extending a play and TRYING,sometimes you just have to toss it and go on to the next play

1 minute ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

I suspect a slow start,not kidding myself there,but as Brisset gets more chemistry,could have been a nice move.I have other flexes if I see he's not cutting it

A week of drafting coming up ... should be fun.  Did one last Saturday, way early ... as luck would have it, I picked up Duke Johnson ...lol.  Mahomes was my keeper from last year (its the 3rd round pick) .. this year passed on Melvin Gordon in round 3 for Jamies Winston. ... normally a brutal move, but this league adds an offensive player that can be anyone and works out to be best option a 2nd QB most of the time.  Zero minuses for anything in this league, so INTs, Sacks, fumbles mean nothing... very QB friendly.   Draft one in round 3 and its one less you need to take for next year.   This year only drafted one, where some guys drafted 3.  

Up for consideration is my private league draft. No pushovers in this league. I drafted 4th(17 rounds) flex is WR/TE only.Not PPR league,but extra points for long plays. QB-Wentz RB's Zeke,Ekeler(you will see I covered in case Gordon returns) WR-Evans,Diggs TE-Ertz Flex Hilton D-Rams ST-Bears(they are separate) K-Crosby   reserves- QB-Darnold RB-barber,Sanders WR Westbrook,preston williams(the rave fins rookie who can easily be cut) TE-Eiffert-Not the best-also droppable D- Buffalo

Above I wanted the Wentz/Ertz double hit since Ertz is a fav target.Both D's are strong,WR's are good.Ekeler is a ? but even if Gordon returns he has some bye week value if the match-up is right. bear ST is a nice unit and think GB will give Crosby more scoring options than last year

24 minutes ago, joemas6 said:

A week of drafting coming up ... should be fun.  Did one last Saturday, way early ... as luck would have it, I picked up Duke Johnson ...lol.  Mahomes was my keeper from last year (its the 3rd round pick) .. this year passed on Melvin Gordon in round 3 for Jamies Winston. ... normally a brutal move, but this league adds an offensive player that can be anyone and works out to be best option a 2nd QB most of the time.  Zero minuses for anything in this league, so INTs, Sacks, fumbles mean nothing... very QB friendly.   Draft one in round 3 and its one less you need to take for next year.   This year only drafted one, where some guys drafted 3.  

My last draft is at 7 PM lol.Hope you get the luxury of knowing the outcome of Gordon. I had to go with my gut.Heck Zeke is technically not there either.if not I will suffer lol

42 minutes ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

My last draft is at 7 PM lol.Hope you get the luxury of knowing the outcome of Gordon. I had to go with my gut.Heck Zeke is technically not there either.if not I will suffer lol

Drafting one via email that started this morning.  Dynasty league ... so mostly rookies, but also anyone who was released from last year.   Pick 8 out of 10 each round.   Interesting because it will take about a week....lol.   Dude who had Luck only had one other QB ...Josh Rosen.  Tough.  

So it seems Mailata wasn't at practice today and the Eagles aren't talking about it.

Anyone want to start an unfounded rumor? 

5 hours ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

I suspect a slow start,not kidding myself there,but as Brisset gets more chemistry,could have been a nice move.I have other flexes if I see he's not cutting it.Like Dede in Jax.he was there so I took him late also lol

TY was a great option with Luck. Having a backup like Brissett made it a special situation. So you get a downgrade with Brissett but if he gets injured then you really could be in trouble. But Hilton in the flex is a great play. Of coarse with bye weeks and an injury week or two and he’s filling in WR 2 for you a good amount.

3 hours ago, ASG15 said:

So it seems Mailata wasn't at practice today and the Eagles aren't talking about it.

Anyone want to start an unfounded rumor? 

Too late

5 hours ago, joemas6 said:

Peyton Manning was excellent at reading the defense. And he demanded the right move out of his teammates. That all helped make him successful.  He had good Olineman. Jeff Saturday and the bunch. But like you noted Manning was forced to make things work from the pocket because of his limited athletism. And his ego. Because he had no problem just throwing the ball away and saving himself. Luck had to deal with a very bad line. He is a big guy that is very athletic. But I tend to agree with most of your assessment. But Peyton Manning was unique. With Luck, or for us Wentz, it’s a more athletic version of Big Ben. And we want them to grow the recognition of Manning.

The Luck retirement news struck a bit of a nerve with me. Hate to hear it came to that with him. Really liked him. But it also is very hard not to consider the parallel situation with Wentz. And really Luck has been very healthy compared to Carson. Scary to consider that CJ Wentz could get fed up with the brutality of the sport. He’s been injured and rehabbing so much already. He’s a smart guy that probably manages his money well. Really hoping he stays motivated to become a HOF. Gotta love the game to put in the work once you’ve made all that money.

The other part is that Wentz needs to become that leader that holds everybody accountable. Every teammate doesn’t need to be your best friend. You need to then to do their job. And for them to know it’s expected or they won’t be having that job. Much of that always falls on the coach, GM and even owner. But no denying when a QB takes that command.