DaveSpadaro

[News] Early Thinking On Some Roster Battles To Watch

So from a Washington perspective ... if Houston were to make an offer for Williams, it may up his value.  Problem is Clowney saying he wants to come here or Seattle doesn't help at all... has one year rental written all over it.   

4 minutes ago, downundermike said:

Did what you said, row 3, caps savings 12.75 million 

B321E7D3-0AD7-41E4-BC83-C1AF408B4E8C.jpeg

BTW... this is 2020 ... you were right with the $11 mil for 2019

Just now, cunninghamtheman said:

And don’t forget Will Fuller

Yeah... I had Fuller as their outside guy.  Didn't know Coutee was a slot guy, thought he was Fuller's replacement when he got hurt and had a decent game or two.  didn't know they were high on him as a slot guy... but everything we here now is all noise

20 minutes ago, joemas6 said:

Yeah... I had Fuller as their outside guy.  Didn't know Coutee was a slot guy, thought he was Fuller's replacement when he got hurt and had a decent game or two.  didn't know they were high on him as a slot guy... but everything we here now is all noise

They may be in a bind,cause they aren't sure he can play weeks 1 or 2.IDK who they have behind him

3 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

Just imagine if we didn’t have 13 mil in dead money...we wouldn’t have to blink about renting a player for 16 mil. Could have signed CJ Mosley in free agency ...also

Yeah... like if Seattle didn't have that $19.1 mil in dead money or Washington that $7.5 mil ... or the 9 teams with over $20 mil of dead money ... including the Dolphins with $43 mil of dead money.      Tampa (the superbowl favorite has only $1.2 mil of dead money)   

Last year the Rams, Cheifs and Saints .... dead money of $16 mil, 21 mil and 22 mil ... didn't hurt them 

2017 ... Eagles almost $20 mil  ......   BTW ... Pats from 2015 to 2018  ... $19.6, 17.5, 7.0 and 10.1 mil of dead cap space each year.     Part of the process.... that $13 mil looks pretty good compared to the top teams in recent years.    I think Howie is doing a decent job there as far as cap management ... you might be the only Eagle fan complaining about it.    Not to mention ... I just don't think they are willing to pay that much for a LB.  

7 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

Not sure you guys have watched Houston enough. He’s very good out of the slot.

Yeah... the first part for sure with me.  

Don’t you think that SB winning seasons dead money had an effect on last season? Sure seems like it was just enough to keep us from being in the big game last season. Not sure if they’d pay a LB that kind of money either. But I can’t help but think how good this defense would be being run by the top MLB. Not sure why you brought up Wash and Miami’s dead cap money? 

It’s a rolling cap. So you pointing out large dead cap money the season teams have success isn’t really showing an understanding of cap management. It does effect you that season...but also in the future.

Don’t you think the Rams dead money resulted in their limitations this offseason?  They really only signed old man Weddle as a free agent. And they have very little dead money this season.

Off topic What was a  once "no big deal" cane is now scheduled to be a cat 4 

15 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

Everybody excited about watching tonight’s final PS game? 

Nobody...ok carry on

Yes toss up bewteen that and watching paint dry

10 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

Don’t you think that SB winning seasons dead money had an effect on last season? Sure seems like it was just enough to keep us from being in the big game last season. Not sure if they’d pay a LB that kind of money either. But I can’t help but think how good this defense would be being run by the top MLB. Not sure why you brought up Wash and Miami’s dead cap money? 

It’s a rolling cap. So you pointing out large dead cap money the season teams have success isn’t really showing an understanding of cap management. It does effect you that season...but also in the future.

Don’t you think the Rams dead money resulted in their limitations this offseason?  They really only signed old man Weddle as a free agent. And they have very little dead money this season.

2018?   only 10 teams had less dead money than us...    We had $14,251,589 of dead $$$

Of the ten teams... only the Colts and the Patriots were playoff teams.     Colts had $11.125 mil and Pats had $10.146 mil.     So my answer would be no.   I don't think so at all.     

14 minutes ago, joemas6 said:

2018?   only 10 teams had less dead money than us...    We had $14,251,589 of dead $$$

Of the ten teams... only the Colts and the Patriots were playoff teams.     Colts had $11.125 mil and Pats had $10.146 mil.     So my answer would be no.   I don't think so at all.     

I'd rather roll that cap over.We have players to pay next year if we are keeping them

14 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

So lets look at the Pats ... 2015 they had almost $20 mil of dead cap ... they win the SB the following year.    2016 they had almost $18 mil of dead cap ... lose in SB  ....  2017 still had over $7 mil of dead cap .. won SB in 2018 ...  last year over $10 mil of dead cap ... do you think it hurts them this year?   

I think there is a little left over Andy Reid/ Joe Banner Dream team 2011 way of thinking left over for you in terms of hwo to manage a cap and lets just buy players with that money.  I just don't think its lets spend all the money up to the cap limit, or lets have all this cap space and buy a title.   There is a puzzle that needs to fit, why I like 2017 in regards to the pay scale, cap...etc.   Really everyone was paid correctly except for Vinny Curry being overpaid a little, but that was due to the timing of the contract and letting him get to FA.    By signing players you want early, deferring space down the road to guys who you know you are keeping anyway ... it allows you to do more.   But you need to avoid big contracts to CJ Moseley if you don't like the fit or want to use that money at other spots. 

You just can't buy a title, ask Jerry Jones.   How he messed up before with bad contracts creating too much dead space at one time, not the managable amounts the Eagles have had... resulted in him relying all on the draft, problem with that is now all his players are due at once.  They have the space, yet he is afraid to pay.   He is waiting too long and its creating these issues.  Howie nipping it in the bud early is the right way to do it.  Saves money in the long run... creates the goodwill... and players want to come here.   You even have a guy like Jenkins ... not happy, but saitsfied with the answer the owner gave him ...and he is here without a problem.  He was taken care of early, just so happens the market went up afterwards, but realistically, not the Eagles problem and it wasn't like they shorted him on purpose early.   He came here for the highest offer first.   

Rolling cap .. use it to your advantage.   you have a player you know you want for 5 years ... push the moeny back, and you can sign other guys with the signing bonus to keep their cap hit down.  If a player doesn't perform... you cut him.  Nature of the beast anyway.  Players get satisfied early, but need to stay focused and playing at the high level for a team to want to keep you over cutting you with some dead cap.  Can't be mad at the team though, because you already got your money.  Unlike Dak who has played for peanuts so far.  Elliot should have been done too.  Cooper they will have to overpay by waiting.  Smith they took care of early, was paid nicely, but not killing the cap.    You do things right, there is always enough cap space.  

15 minutes ago, GreenbleedinFL said:

I'd rather roll that cap over.We have players to pay next year if we are keeping them

Yeah... don't see a trade with us without Agholor in there... too much cap hit ... I mean we have it, just don't think we want to use it like that.  WE could have $40 mil of cap space, not sure Howie would do a contract like that?   But who knows.   

I'll be watching tennis on the tv, game on laptop. Questions we'll answer by Sat;

Smalls/Adams - IF we keep an extra RB. We have 2 RB's on 1 yr contracts. If Howard does well, what's it going to take to keep him? Do we need a b/u in case of injury. Smalls is better               than Adams right now, more versatile, plays ST's, returner, passing game. Adams needs to develop, may make it thru waivers.

Ward - do we go w/ an extra WR and protect him? 

I really like Daeshon Hall, want him for that 4th DE

See what happens at LB, nicked up and I like TJ Edwards

What do we do w/ Herbig?

How Ford does tonight.

So yeah, there are a few things to watch

9 minutes ago, mjkline1958 said:

I'll be watching tennis on the tv, game on laptop. Questions we'll answer by Sat;

Smalls/Adams - IF we keep an extra RB. We have 2 RB's on 1 yr contracts. If Howard does well, what's it going to take to keep him? Do we need a b/u in case of injury. Smalls is better               than Adams right now, more versatile, plays ST's, returner, passing game. Adams needs to develop, may make it thru waivers.

Ward - do we go w/ an extra WR and protect him? 

I really like Daeshon Hall, want him for that 4th DE

See what happens at LB, nicked up and I like TJ Edwards

What do we do w/ Herbig?

How Ford does tonight.

So yeah, there are a few things to watch

Ward is just ok at everything. We’ve been around this merry go round with him before. He doesn’t bring anything extra to the table. I say cut. If injuries ravage the position we can always pick him back up. He’ll probably be available still. Even if he does stick to someone else’s 53 we could always trade back for him at minimal expense. Michel adds to what we have. He also gives us backup speed option for if DJax is out.

You can’t cut Hall after this PS. He’s looked great. Whether he’s considered four or five to start the season doesn’t matter that much. To me the questions more surround Sweat and Miller. 

Edwards and Singleton are in a battle. Both quality depth LBs. 

Herbig was a good find. Wait and see. I’d include him on the 53. But I also think he probably could sit on PS without being poached.

Adams has more potential and upside. Smallwood seems like he has maxed out. Just decent at everything. Like Ward he doesn’t add anything. So we’d only need to call on him if the position group is ravaged by injury. Let him go. He might still be available if we need him later. If not on the street for a very cheap trade price. Not sure Adams makes it either. He’s had some good growth this offseason. Added short yardage into his game. Been working on the passing downs. That easy TD grab that he dropped might have done him in.

1 hour ago, joemas6 said:

Yeah... don't see a trade with us without Agholor in there... too much cap hit ... I mean we have it, just don't think we want to use it like that.  WE could have $40 mil of cap space, not sure Howie would do a contract like that?   But who knows.   

AG could be expendable with the emergence of JJaw.Nice to have that BU in place however

Seems like our biggest weakness is MLB.  If I’m looking for a trade right now it would be for that. I like Singleton and Edwards. But they are a bit weak in pass D. Fort has been flying around so maybe he fills the void. Just been disappointed in Gerry. KGH injury was a tough blow. Bradham trying to come back from injury. Even with everybody healthy we could still use a quality MLB to complete the picture.