DaveSpadaro

[News] Early Thinking On Some Roster Battles To Watch

13 minutes ago, stine said:

If you are saying they have tried Mills and Douglas at safety, then yes, I missed that. I have not been on these boards all that much lately. I do not recall hearing they tried either of them at safety yet...?

No no... In your secondary you name Jenkins, Mills, Jones and Douglas. I'm saying where is McLeod in there? Unless you mean 2 outside corners, 1 safety and a slot corner? 

Sorry. I must of mistyped UK. I meant Jones, Darby, Mills and Bausby were the front runners for the CB positions, with Douglas slated number 5. My point was that we should try him and maybe Mills at Safety to provide depth in a position we have little. Douglas has proven very formidable against the run. So it makes sense to have him try the Safety position. At least we will know his value if he cannot cut it there....

Could the Eagles move a cornerback in a trade? Absolutely. Defensive end and cornerback are two in-need positions in the NFL and the Eagles are stocked at both positions. There will be some late-summer chatter going on at those spots around the league.

https://www.bleedinggreennation.com/2018/6/4/17424960/random-eagles-thoughts-examining-will-linebacker-position-mychal-kendricks-philadelphia-nfl-rumors

Speaking of Celek (from the article above)

Can't help but wonder if he's second-guessing not taking a lower amount and staying with the team. Gotta admit i'm surprised no one at all has signed him on a vet-min.

Not sure Swoop, but I thought he was set on retiring. I am sure the Eagles will offer him a job should the need arise. He does not need any practice at this stage in his career, so no big deal to rush it... Trading a CB is going to happen. As I said yesterday, I feel Douglas is a prime candidate as he is not getting any looks at the safety or slot position. He is too slow for #1 or #2 WR's but could handle most TE's and RB's IMO.... He also is solid against the run.... We will see. One thing most agree on is the CB position went from being a issue 2 years ago, to being a strength now....

16 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I'm guessing you've missed out McLeod and not the you've put Douglas or Mills at Safety in this line up mate? 

Mate.... my name is Joe .... and this was about 2019.  (with the idea that we could very easily see McCloud and Darby off the roster due to $$ reasons)  That is if you read the whole post, not just conveniently cut out a part of it.   

But yeah... I would look at Mills at safety before Douglas... mostly due to college experience, plus you can tell Mills seems the guy who plays off and likes to read, Douglas seems more aggressive in covering one guy ... I like his aggressiveness, I would love to see him and Jones be the future at CB.  Cherio my good man!  HOLLA

2 hours ago, joemas6 said:

Mate.... my name is Joe .... and this was about 2019.  (with the idea that we could very easily see McCloud and Darby off the roster due to $$ reasons)  That is if you read the whole post, not just conveniently cut out a part of it.   

Ok Joe calm down. I wasn't actually conveniently cutting your post. If you look at my post again it was a question to you. I want arguing and disagreeing I was just looking for some clarity. 

5 hours ago, joemas6 said:

But yeah... I would look at Mills at safety before Douglas... mostly due to college experience, plus you can tell Mills seems the guy who plays off and likes to read, Douglas seems more aggressive in covering one guy ... I like his aggressiveness, I would love to see him and Jones be the future at CB.  Cherio my good man!  HOLLA

It appears Bausby has made a significant play for the Slot so far in camp. Of course we need to see him covering some WR's first, but from all I hear he is the real deal. He has Speed and Size. So, If he gets the slot position, you have Jones at one CB and Darby at the other. Then Mills and Douglas behind them. If we understand Swartz's comments(A friend told me he read this-I did not see it), Douglas will play only outside, as he is not going to try him at safety. Mills is the only other choice to train at Safety. So you may be right. Mills gets the shot for future at Safety.... We will see.

I change my stance on Douglas a bit. After talking to a friend, he pointed out that Douglas time in the Cone drill was 6.97. (To put in perspective,  Cox's time was 7.06) He cannot change direction fast enough to handle the slot. He can, however, excel at the safety position. He could eventually take over for Jenkins IMO. That is if he does not get traded as I feel he will....

The whole cornerback situation can get frustrating if one dwells on it. It's a good problem to have sounds great and all but it's still something that will need to be maximized to the largest benefit to the team. I do think McLeod  could be tradable now but doubt it'll happen. I don't think he'll be here next year though. I've been a proponent of Mills AND Douglas eventually being our safeties, with Jones and Darby on the outside. Admittedly, I think the crack in this is that is could be forcing something. Why not just draft a badass safety instead of moving a CB - just because we have so many? Doesn't make sense. Which loops us back around to one of them, most likely Darby, getting traded this year or walking next.

Anyways, i'm good with whatever the FO thinks makes the team better. And we know Howie makes the most out of it.

Probably Right Swoop!  Howie has done a great job thus far. We have to keep the faith he will get us who we need. I just do not want us to let good prospects go for nothing. Like we did for Rowe. If we don't get a good pick, I want nothing to do with it.

8 hours ago, cunninghamtheman said:

Or ....we could just sign Corey Graham back...or is that too obvious?

For a short term solution, that is fine. He is 32 and we need to start getting younger at Safety. Jenkins is 30, so only has a few years left....

On 6/5/2018 at 3:46 AM, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Ok Joe calm down. I wasn't actually conveniently cutting your post. If you look at my post again it was a question to you. I want arguing and disagreeing I was just looking for some clarity. 

I know ... I was just saying you can call me Joe.  Easier to type, only 3 letters.   And I was just pointing out for clarity... that it was already in my post.... 2019 was my thinking. You have a 3rd round pick from last year, under control for 3 more years ... why rush him into another spot?    His ball skills and the one on one battles is what stands out.  Not sure why you would move him to safety with those 2 traits being his best attributes... he is perfect for the outside, especially when matching up underneath vs the big WRs.   

On 6/5/2018 at 8:07 AM, stine said:

I change my stance on Douglas a bit. After talking to a friend, he pointed out that Douglas time in the Cone drill was 6.97. (To put in perspective,  Cox's time was 7.06) He cannot change direction fast enough to handle the slot. He can, however, excel at the safety position. He could eventually take over for Jenkins IMO. That is if he does not get traded as I feel he will....

Stine... Douglas is ideal on the outside ... especially vs the big WRs.   His best traits, balls skills and how he battles the WR.   He is perfect for underneath outside techniqe, especially with help behind him.   I would hate to see him in a position to take away the battle and let him be the guy that gives help?   Especially with that cone time, which needs change of directions.... at safety when you are in the middle of the field, you change directions more.  More decisions.   To me... just make him battle one guy, engage right away in that battle... if its pass you fight the WR for position, if its run, he engages the WR right away on the block (which we have seen him do really well)   

He is under control for 3 more years, time for development will only help him.... with Darby having one year left, why would we trade Douglas???  You never know, but doesnt make sense with having a cheap contract for 3 more years... especially looking at current cap situation?????    If you let Darby walk, plus trade Douglas ... in 2019 we could be looking at Jones, Mills, Jenkins.... with 3 question marks (McCloud could easily be released... Maddox, who knows yet vs real NFL competition, and Bausby looks good in the spring..LOL... wait LOL, football is played in the fall)   So look big picture... lets say you need 8 guys probably 10 in the secondary.   I can see bad planning by rushing to trade a cheap contract, in addition to probably losing McCloud and Darby due to $$ reasons.  But also, I really think Mills moves to safety at some point.  But even if not, I would absolutely consider him at S before Douglas.  

4 hours ago, joemas6 said:

His ball skills and the one on one battles is what stands out.  Not sure why you would move him to safety with those 2 traits being his best attributes... he is perfect for the outside, especially when matching up underneath vs the big WRs.   

I actually happen to agree with you. I think Mills is the guy who, if anyone, moves over to Safety. I guess the reason people think Douglas is because he's a little buried on the depth chart at corner right now? And so with Safety being a question beyond this year I guess I can see why people are looking at Douglas. But yeah for sure I would move Mills if I'm moving a corner in this roster. 

Just now, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I actually happen to agree with you. I think Mills is the guy who, if anyone, moves over to Safety. I guess the reason people think Douglas is because he's a little buried on the depth chart at corner right now? And so with Safety being a question beyond this year I guess I can see why people are looking at Douglas. But yeah for sure I would move Mills if I'm moving a corner in this roster. 

OK... a 2nd year player is buried at the position he is good at right now... a 2nd year player can learn and improve..... also 2 guys in front of that 2nd year player ....  1. Darby, probably won't be here next year ...and 2. Mills could be moved to S .... then all of a sudden.... BOOM!   Jones and Douglas on the outside .... see, really not that hard.  Still would have 2 years of control of Douglas as a cheap starter.    Besides that ... CB you need depth ... injuries happen and then boom, you have to play your 3rd and 4th outside CBs.  The ideal backups are guys that are young and still learning.   

I mean... we have patience to keep a OL developing for years and years ... yet we want to rush to get rid of a cheap young CB?   Who could easily project as a starter the following year?  

I mean ... if the players are Jones, Mills and Douglas as 3 of your starters ... who would you put at safety?    Why does it have to be Douglas or else you think we are trading him?    Why can't it be Mills at the safety next year.... but yet they like him better than Douglas at CB now?    

31 minutes ago, joemas6 said:

OK... a 2nd year player is buried at the position he is good at right now... a 2nd year player can learn and improve..... also 2 guys in front of that 2nd year player ....  1. Darby, probably won't be here next year ...and 2. Mills could be moved to S .... then all of a sudden.... BOOM!   Jones and Douglas on the outside .... see, really not that hard.  Still would have 2 years of control of Douglas as a cheap starter.    Besides that ... CB you need depth ... injuries happen and then boom, you have to play your 3rd and 4th outside CBs.  The ideal backups are guys that are young and still learning.   

I mean... we have patience to keep a OL developing for years and years ... yet we want to rush to get rid of a cheap young CB?   Who could easily project as a starter the following year?  

I feel like you're preaching to the converted bud. I'm with you. I agree that Douglas is a good young promising player. I think he held his own in his rookie year when thrust in to the starting role and I think next year he'll be even better and more prepared so you don't need to sell this one to me. 

I'm all for keeping Douglas absolutely. 

What LeBron said that's it, Pedey followed up, NFL's whimping out.

We have more contracts due next yr and Wentz needs paid after that. Some young S's would be nice, so any CB's who can cover is always a bonus. IOW I have to agree w/ Joe

20 hours ago, joemas6 said:

Stine... Douglas is ideal on the outside ... especially vs the big WRs.   His best traits, balls skills and how he battles the WR.   He is perfect for underneath outside techniqe, especially with help behind him.   I would hate to see him in a position to take away the battle and let him be the guy that gives help?   Especially with that cone time, which needs change of directions.... at safety when you are in the middle of the field, you change directions more.  More decisions.   To me... just make him battle one guy, engage right away in that battle... if its pass you fight the WR for position, if its run, he engages the WR right away on the block (which we have seen him do really well)   

He is under control for 3 more years, time for development will only help him.... with Darby having one year left, why would we trade Douglas???  You never know, but doesnt make sense with having a cheap contract for 3 more years... especially looking at current cap situation?????    If you let Darby walk, plus trade Douglas ... in 2019 we could be looking at Jones, Mills, Jenkins.... with 3 question marks (McCloud could easily be released... Maddox, who knows yet vs real NFL competition, and Bausby looks good in the spring..LOL... wait LOL, football is played in the fall)   So look big picture... lets say you need 8 guys probably 10 in the secondary.   I can see bad planning by rushing to trade a cheap contract, in addition to probably losing McCloud and Darby due to $$ reasons.  But also, I really think Mills moves to safety at some point.  But even if not, I would absolutely consider him at S before Douglas.  

First, I have said all along I do not want to lose Douglas. It is my opinion that Swartz does not seem to like him. I feel Douglas would be better at Safety then Mills. He plays the run better and can match up to the Tall TE's better than Mills can. If he can cover TE's, that would enable Jenkins to play center field which he is awesome at. Maybe Mills is better, but if Swartz does not try Douglas out at Safety, we will never know. Swartz has no desire to try him there, which bothers me. He states that he wants to cross train the DB's so they can handle more than one position. Then he sticks Douglas on the outside..... Anyway, it appears either Douglas will stay at CB (outside) or he gets traded, which will piss me off. We will see what happens.....

16 hours ago, joemas6 said:

I mean ... if the players are Jones, Mills and Douglas as 3 of your starters ... who would you put at safety?    Why does it have to be Douglas or else you think we are trading him?    Why can't it be Mills at the safety next year.... but yet they like him better than Douglas at CB now?    

What we seem to disagree on is Mills vs Douglas at Safety. I like Douglas because he is a run stuffer and I don't feel Mills plays the run that well. I am not dead set against Mills at safety, just I feel Douglas is a better fit. Douglas has more range than Mills.... What we seem to agree on is someone needs to try out there and neither of us want to see Douglas go....