GroundAttack

Which Team Can Go From Worst To First In 2018?

Recommended Posts

So OTA's are coming to an end. Just a tease as we get closer to Training Camp.

Decided to have some fun and see which team you guys think that finished in last place 2017 can make a big turnaround and finish in first place in 2018?

We've seen it last year with the Jaguars and the Eagles.

Below are the last place teams from last year

Jets 5-11
Browns 0-16
Texans 4-12
Broncos 5-11
Giants 3-13
Bears 5-11
Bucs 5-11
Niners 6-10

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Texans and Niners probably have the best shots because their divisions aren't that great to begin with and both teams potentially have good quarterbacks.

Jets have no shot. The other teams have a remote chance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, FranklinFldEBUpper said:

Texans and Niners probably have the best shots because their divisions aren't that great to begin with and both teams potentially have good quarterbacks.

Jets have no shot. The other teams have a remote chance.

I was going to say the Niners but I can't see them being better than the Rams barring an epic fail.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, boogyman said:

I was going to say the Niners but I can't see them being better than the Rams barring an epic fail.

The Rams should easily run away with that division with 12-13 wins. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Every time you say Rams just think Dream Team.

I expect the results to be a 1st round playoff loss again.

Aquib Talib was elite 3 years ago like DRC was elite 5 years ago.

Talib will be Revis in KC, not Revis in NE.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, GroundAttack said:

Jets 5-11
Browns 0-16
Texans 4-12
Broncos 5-11
Giants 3-13
Bears 5-11
Bucs 5-11
Niners 6-10

NFL.com did an article on it last week which was a decent read. 

For me I think either the Broncos or the Texans. I think overall the Texans have a better team but are in a tougher division and need to usurp the Jags. The Broncos could make a push as Keenum, amazingly, is a pretty good upgrade. 

Bears, Browns and Giants have no chance. I mean even if we believe the Browns can get it together finally they have a tough division. And the Bears have to overtake a very good Minnesota team and a Packers team with Rodgers back. So yeah that isn't going to happen. 

And the Giants? Well they are the Giants! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

SF and Houston 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, stang8118 said:

SF and Houston 

I like SF but I think they have one hell of a job on their hands to surpass LA. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1. Texans - Good QB in DeShaun Watson (potentially really, really good) dicey division, although the AFC South could get better with Jax and Tennessee if they keep it up, and Indy does have Andrew Luck who, assuming he can play, always gives them a chance.

2. Niners - Potentially a good QB in Jimmy G, showed signs last year by winning 5 straight. Tough to overcome Rams, but Rams chemistry concerns me a bit after bringing in so many high-profile free agents.

3. Unlikely, but Giants, who at least do have a capable veteran QB and just selected arguably the best player in the draft in Saquon Barkley at RB. But would need a huge turnaround and a fall by the Eagles.

The other teams sit in a cluster of unlikely (Bucs, Broncos, Bears)-to-not-gonna-happen (Jets, Browns).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Broncos seem to have ascended to the level of a legit contender. They addressed their QB problem and through the draft converted an already good defense to elite. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, rocketman44 said:

Unlikely, but Giants, who at least do have a capable veteran QB and just selected arguably the best player in the draft in Saquon Barkley at RB. But would need a huge turnaround and a fall by the Eagles.

The Giants? I mean arguably the gap between us and them grew this off season. Their O line was awful last year and I don't think it's going to be substantially better. Eli is regressing and there's no reason to believe that's not going to change this year. And yeah Barkley is a really exciting prospect but he's going to have to carry that team. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

The Giants? I mean arguably the gap between us and them grew this off season. Their O line was awful last year and I don't think it's going to be substantially better. Eli is regressing and there's no reason to believe that's not going to change this year. And yeah Barkley is a really exciting prospect but he's going to have to carry that team. 

Do you follow along with anything that happens in the off season? Yes the OL will be substantially better. They added a legit LT, two quality guards (Hernandez and Omamah) and moved Flowers to the position he was supposed to play (although he’s not guaranteed the starters job with more competition on the roster). Jones at center was the one bright spot and remains the starter. They were pulling guys off the street to play on the OL last season.

They added the best prospect in the draft, get back OBJ as well as a bunch of starters on defense. How in the world do you think the gap grew? Yes the Birds get Wentz back, but there wasn't much of drop off with Foles, so minimal gain. You get back your LT and scat RB, both of which are on their last leg and Hicks, who’s solid but injury prone. The Giants didn’t close the gap all the way, but it certainly didn’t get wider, unless you actually think the Birds will be more than 10 games better this season. If the OL holds up, you can bet Eli will play better than last season as well. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not necessarily from worst to first, but I'd expect the Giants and 49ers to be in the playoffs next year. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BKLYNYG said:

Do you follow along with anything that happens in the off season? Yes the OL will be substantially better. They added a legit LT, two quality guards (Hernandez and Omamah) and moved Flowers to the position he was supposed to play (although he’s not guaranteed the starters job with more competition on the roster)

You made Solder the highest paid tackle in the NFL when he's at best the fifth best tackle in the NFC East. Hernandez was a great pick up but he might need time to settle in the NFL. So yeah you're O line is better as I said but I'm not going to declare it a strength for you. 

1 hour ago, BKLYNYG said:

get back OBJ

Well done... You get back your prima Donna who's going to cause issues because he always does. And in the meantime you lost one of your best pass rushers oh and you have one of the worst secondaries in the NFL. So you can't get to the QB and even if you could your corners can't cover anyway. 

We get back Wentz, Peters, Hicks and Sproles. We upgraded our offense which was already one of the best in the NFL and we added Bennett and Ngata to our D line. So yeah in terms of quality the gap grew. Does that mean at the end of the year we are 10+ games better? No because yeah the Giants are better and were a better team than they showed last year. But I think the difference between the Eagles and Giants is greater. 

As for Eli. You believe that if you want but go and look at the stats over the past few years. That guy is in decline. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One if the problems I have with top 10 lists is people ignore context. You name 3 snubs from a top 10 list, but then you have to remove 3 guys they are better than, which no one ever does. You can’t have 13 guys in the top 10. Same concept here. It’s fine to say teams are better, but they have to beat out 12, 13 win teams to get there. Think about who you’re saying will have to fall on their face in order to make it happen.

The giants? The buccaneers? I get thinking they’ll improve, but they’ll be better than the Falcons AND the Panthers AND the Saints? No. Or the Eagles and the Cowboys? That’s a long shot.

1. Broncos. They still have a talented roster, and play in a division with 3 wildly inconsistent teams. They improved their qb position and 10-6 will probably win that division.

2. Texans. They play in arguably still the worst division in football. This depends entirely on the injuries of Deshaun Watson, JJ Watt, and especially Andrew Luck, but that’s still better odds than the Bucs upending 3 playoff teams.

3. 49ers. Maybe, but I don’t quite get the hype. Other than QB they didn’t do a lot to remake the roster from the 1-10 start last year. It would be a really great story if they go 7-9 and Garappolo has a pro bowl season. But that team beating the Rams and the Seahawks? Eh....

the rest are wildly unlikely

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

You made Solder the highest paid tackle in the NFL when he's at best the fifth best tackle in the NFC East. Hernandez was a great pick up but he might need time to settle in the NFL. So yeah you're O line is better as I said but I'm not going to declare it a strength for you. 

Well done... You get back your prima Donna who's going to cause issues because he always does. And in the meantime you lost one of your best pass rushers oh and you have one of the worst secondaries in the NFL. So you can't get to the QB and even if you could your corners can't cover anyway. 

We get back Wentz, Peters, Hicks and Sproles. We upgraded our offense which was already one of the best in the NFL and we added Bennett and Ngata to our D line. So yeah in terms of quality the gap grew. Does that mean at the end of the year we are 10+ games better? No because yeah the Giants are better and were a better team than they showed last year. But I think the difference between the Eagles and Giants is greater. 

As for Eli. You believe that if you want but go and look at the stats over the past few years. That guy is in decline. 

Solder might be the fifth best tackle in the division, but the division probably has some of the best LTs in the entire league. So going from the bottom of the league to middle of the pack or higher is a huge upgrade. 

You think getting back OBJ is a problem. You think losing JPP is a problem. You think we have one of the worst secondaries in the league despite the fact that we have the best CB and S in the division. Errrrrr ok...

The Birds are getting back some quality players...if it was 5 years ago. Most of those guys are on their last leg AND coming off injury. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think some are sleeping on the Giants. I still think we are pretty far ahead of the division on paper, but if we slip up, hangover or whatever, the Giants are a clear second IMO. Best complete set of skill guys, still a competent at least QB, and the O line might not be great but it is much improved. Defense has pieces too, but fell off after 2016 in both play and talent.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, boogyman said:

I think some are sleeping on the Giants. I still think we are pretty far ahead of the division on paper, but if we slip up, hangover or whatever, the Giants are a clear second IMO. Best complete set of skill guys, still a competent at least QB, and the O line might not be great but it is much improved. Defense has pieces too, but fell off after 2016 in both play and talent.

Totally agree. Especially now that the dysfunctional McAdoo is gone, I think that team will rally around fresh leadership. Giants nearly beat the world champs twice in 2017 and Manning looked pretty damn good doing it. Schwartz had better get this secondary on track because we play a bunch of QBs who get the ball out fast and will have no problem moving a team up and down the field on us.

I never sleep on the Gmen. Hate them, but never overlook them. They have a nasty habit of bouncing in and out of the basement and I think they overtake the Pukes as our divisional rival this season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It seems the team that gets overlooked in the NFCE is often the one out performs projections. I’ve seen the Giants picked last and third in the division. No higher. I still don’t think they have enough to overtake the Eagles, but I do think they can jump over the Cowboys and Skins. We need another offseason to continue building both lines. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, BKLYNYG said:

You think getting back OBJ is a problem. You think losing JPP is a problem. You think we have one of the worst secondaries in the league despite the fact that we have the best CB and S in the division. Errrrrr ok...

The Birds are getting back some quality players...if it was 5 years ago. Most of those guys are on their last leg AND coming off injury. 

You have the best CB in the division? Go on humour me... You're secondary is porous and is going to give up yards and you have no pass rush so yeah I think it's an issue for you. 

Most of those guys? You mean Peters who keeps defying the odds and Sproles who has proven everyone wrong his whole career? So that's two... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/28/2018 at 6:00 PM, skippyx said:

Every time you say Rams just think Dream Team.

I expect the results to be a 1st round playoff loss again.

Aquib Talib was elite 3 years ago like DRC was elite 5 years ago.

Talib will be Revis in KC, not Revis in NE.

Hes there 2. Youre forgetting they have peters too. As well as suh and donald together. 

 

I know people want them to fold around but our dream team stunk because vick didnt play good ball. The defense wasnt bad in 2011. In. 2012 they were #8 in the league before juan was fired. 

The rams are forreal. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, BKLYNYG said:

It seems the team that gets overlooked in the NFCE is often the one out performs projections. I’ve seen the Giants picked last and third in the division. No higher. I still don’t think they have enough to overtake the Eagles, but I do think they can jump over the Cowboys and Skins. We need another offseason to continue building both lines. 

You guys will be lucky to be 2-6 at the midway point. Have you glanced at your schedule? 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now