Sign in to follow this  
Happyfoosball

Saquon Barkley rookie season prediction

2 minutes ago, mike030270 said:

Honestly never looked into any first round contracts. Or really any for that matter. With Howie as GM I never bothered. Saw the notification on my phone and was just surprised at the number

Then you don't want to look at the NBA

7 minutes ago, ShakeThatMonkey said:

Then you don't want to look at the NBA

I've tried watching it but it's boring IMO

1 hour ago, mike030270 said:

Honestly never looked into any first round contracts. Or really any for that matter. With Howie as GM I never bothered. Saw the notification on my phone and was just surprised at the number

It’s partially why people questioned the Giants for taking a RB at #2. That’s a lot of dough for a non QB that hasn’t taken a snap. Big gamble. 

6 minutes ago, BKLYNYG said:

It’s partially why people questioned the Giants for taking a RB at #2. That’s a lot of dough for a non QB that hasn’t taken a snap. Big gamble. 

I'd agree. I was surprised you guys didn't take a QB in the 1st round

1500 yards

800 receiving

best college rb I’ve ever seen and Eli’s getting old. Aside from Gurley and maybe a healthy David Johnson there’s not a more talented RB in the league. I hate that he went to the Giants.

That being said RBs don’t win championships and when your franchise qb is obviously on the downside of his career you don’t select a RB 2nd overall

1 hour ago, SD_Eagle said:

1500 yards

800 receiving

best college rb I’ve ever seen and Eli’s getting old. Aside from Gurley and maybe a healthy David Johnson there’s not a more talented RB in the league. I hate that he went to the Giants.

That being said RBs don’t win championships and when your franchise qb is obviously on the downside of his career you don’t select a RB 2nd overall

You do if you think you already have a good young replacement on the roster and the QBs available in the draft aren’t all that impressive. 

5 hours ago, SD_Eagle said:

Jeff Hostetler, Trent Dilfer, heck ... even Jim McMahon.  If it weren't for the running games and defense, those 3 QBs wouldn't have rings. Even Elway couldn't win a championship until he had a stud RB. Marino never had a RB. I can go on, but the NFL has proven that the formula works. Andy Reid tried for 13 years to disprove the importance of running the football while he was here.

Doesn't look like the Giants have a championship defense at this time. But controlling the clock with a reliable workhorse RB can sure help a defense out.

10 hours ago, BRKMSN said:

Jeff Hostetler, Trent Dilfer, heck ... even Jim McMahon.  If it weren't for the running games and defense, those 3 QBs wouldn't have rings. Even Elway couldn't win a championship until he had a stud RB. Marino never had a RB. I can go on, but the NFL has proven that the formula works. Andy Reid tried for 13 years to disprove the importance of running the football while he was here.

Doesn't look like the Giants have a championship defense at this time. But controlling the clock with a reliable workhorse RB can sure help a defense out.

Dude, the game has changed by leaps and bounds since the days of Jim McMahon, Jeff Hostetler, or even Trent Dilfer. The last time a superstar RB won a Superbowl was Marshall Faulk almost 2 decades ago, the last time a league rushing leader won was Terrell Davis. It's a QB driven league now, RBs don't win you championships anymore and are not a foundation piece like QB, pass rusher or LT.

1 hour ago, D-Shiznit said:

Dude, the game has changed by leaps and bounds since the days of Jim McMahon, Jeff Hostetler, or even Trent Dilfer. The last time a superstar RB won a Superbowl was Marshall Faulk almost 2 decades ago, the last time a league rushing leader won was Terrell Davis. It's a QB driven league now, RB don't win you championships anymore and are not a foundation piece like QB, pass rusher or LT.

Do the Pats have a superstar RB? Or us in fact? Nope. Successfully moving the chains and controlling the clock are important. A run game is important but I don't think you need a superstar RB. So yeah I'm with you here bud. There's far more important positions. 

13 hours ago, BKLYNYG said:

New starter at every position, a la the Vikings last year. Hopefully we have the same success.

I could live with the Giants losing to us in the NFCCG. 

:whistle:

4 hours ago, D-Shiznit said:

Dude, the game has changed by leaps and bounds since the days of Jim McMahon, Jeff Hostetler, or even Trent Dilfer. The last time a superstar RB won a Superbowl was Marshall Faulk almost 2 decades ago, the last time a league rushing leader won was Terrell Davis. It's a QB driven league now, RB don't win you championships anymore and are not a foundation piece like QB, pass rusher or LT.

Even Faulk was iffy since the Rams had Warner and two borderline HOF WRs.

11 hours ago, BKLYNYG said:

You do if you think you already have a good young replacement on the roster and the QBs available in the draft aren’t all that impressive. 

Ehhh...not overly impressed with either Giant QB prospects (you talking about Webb or Lauletta?). I'm with you, none of the guys at the top of the draft are anything special but I'd still take a chance on one picking that high. I'm not hating on the Giants for picking Barkley, he was the best player in the draft and the best college RB I've ever seen. It's just a QB driven league and the Giants aren't historically the type of team that picks in the top 5 so when you're there and  your QB is in the twilight of his career you need to roll the dice on his replacement.

I think he'll put up respectable numbers. I don't see him being the best RB in the NFC East, Zeke is no pushover either and has a much better offensive line. Granted Dallas now has zero receiving threats so teams might just gear up to stop the run.

In terms of a RBs importance to the team, it's definitely a passing league now... But teams still need to be able to run the ball when needed. And then when I look at teams that had surprising runs this season... I think the Jaguars with Fournette who brought some balance to that team. I think how Kamara exploded for the Saints, being the dual threat that works so perfectly with Brees and makes that offense move. Chiefs with Hunt looked unbeatable for awhile until Reid started being more like Reid.

So while I think QBs, LTs, Pass rushers are more premium positions, I do think RB gets de-valued in todays game. I think it has more to do with the short shelf life. You'll get maybe 3-4 years tops of prime play and then it starts to drop off. QB, WR, LT on the offensive side you'll get guys giving you 5-8 years of elite play. While I personally think an elite RB will have more impact on a football game than an elite WR, the fact is an elite WR can stay tops in the league, and with your team, for very long time. RB not so much. 

That's the danger of drafting Barkely so high. Not because of the talent or lack of, I think he'll crush it for awhile. But the Giants aren't in a position to compete at a high level, his best years might be wasted during rebuild seasons.

9 hours ago, D-Shiznit said:

Dude, the game has changed by leaps and bounds since the days of Jim McMahon, Jeff Hostetler, or even Trent Dilfer. The last time a superstar RB won a Superbowl was Marshall Faulk almost 2 decades ago, the last time a league rushing leader won was Terrell Davis. It's a QB driven league now, RBs don't win you championships anymore and are not a foundation piece like QB, pass rusher or LT.

I agree that it's currently a QB driven league, but the league also goes in cycles. There's a new crop of "do it all" RBs out there that are leading offenses and a shortage of top flight QBs. I mean the Eagles just won the SB with Nick Foles behind center. The Giants won two with Eli. No one is going to mistake either of them for Brady or Brees. The Broncos won with a broken down Peyton.

My point, there's no one way to win a SB. I think that's been proven time and time again, so to say a team won't win a SB ever again with a RB as the center piece of the offense is a bit shortsighted. 

4 hours ago, SD_Eagle said:

Ehhh...not overly impressed with either Giant QB prospects (you talking about Webb or Lauletta?). I'm with you, none of the guys at the top of the draft are anything special but I'd still take a chance on one picking that high. I'm not hating on the Giants for picking Barkley, he was the best player in the draft and the best college RB I've ever seen. It's just a QB driven league and the Giants aren't historically the type of team that picks in the top 5 so when you're there and  your QB is in the twilight of his career you need to roll the dice on his replacement.

I'm not sure there's enough data on Webb (aside from what the Giants have in house) to be impressed or unimpressed. The Giants have watched him in practice for two years now and they seem to believe he's no bigger risk than one of the QBs that was taken high in this year's draft. If they're right, it's a huge score. If they're wrong, we'll be looking for a new QB possibly as soon as next season, which will set the franchise back. 

I've read a bunch of articles and comments from players on Webb over the past few months and they were overwhelmingly positive. I bet if they did an anonymous poll of the entire Giants organization (players, coaches, front office, etc.) and asked if they would rather see Eli or Webb behind center, the number of people choosing Webb would be higher than expected. Apparently he has a rocket arm and has picked up the new offense quickly, but I understand you can't judge a guy until he straps on the pads in a regular season game. 

9 hours ago, D-Shiznit said:

Marshawn Lynch was the center piece of a Seattle offense that should have won back to back SBs if not for the worst call in football history. Ray Rice was just as important to the Ravens as Joe Flacco. 

7 hours ago, EagleJoe8 said:

I could live with the Giants losing to us in the NFCCG. 

:whistle:

As much as it pains me to say it, that would be a wildly successful season for the Giants....but I think i'd rather miss the playoffs all together. :lol:

Isn't there a video out there where he was beating up a woman in an elevator while he's using PEDs and selling heroin to a 10 year old who was kneeling during the National Anthem?

I think this guy should be suspended for at least 5 years!

3 hours ago, BKLYNYG said:

I'm not sure there's enough data on Webb (aside from what the Giants have in house) to be impressed or unimpressed. The Giants have watched him in practice for two years now and they seem to believe he's no bigger risk than one of the QBs that was taken high in this year's draft. If they're right, it's a huge score. If they're wrong, we'll be looking for a new QB possibly as soon as next season, which will set the franchise back. 

I've read a bunch of articles and comments from players on Webb over the past few months and they were overwhelmingly positive. I bet if they did an anonymous poll of the entire Giants organization (players, coaches, front office, etc.) and asked if they would rather see Eli or Webb behind center, the number of people choosing Webb would be higher than expected. Apparently he has a rocket arm and has picked up the new offense quickly, but I understand you can't judge a guy until he straps on the pads in a regular season game. 

Ehh there were a bunch of articles that were overwhelmingly positive about Kevin Kolb as well. So much so that they traded McNabb and I would bet that there were plenty in the locker room that were choosing him as well.

There are very few QBs that sit on the bench for a few years and then become stars. It is more likely that Webb is going to be a JAG then a Tony Romo or even a Derek Anderson.

50 minutes ago, Pallidrone said:

Ehh there were a bunch of articles that were overwhelmingly positive about Kevin Kolb as well. So much so that they traded McNabb and I would bet that there were plenty in the locker room that were choosing him as well.

There are very few QBs that sit on the bench for a few years and then become stars. It is more likely that Webb is going to be a JAG then a Tony Romo or even a Derek Anderson.

Yup, very possible he's a JAG, but he's also in a very unique situation. For all we know he could be ready to play right now, but he's sitting behind an entrenched vet. Relying on Webb to be the next QB is a big risk, but so is taking a QB with the number 2 pick just to say you selected one. The Giants are just managing different types of risk. 

4 hours ago, BKLYNYG said:

I agree that it's currently a QB driven league, but the league also goes in cycles. There's a new crop of "do it all" RBs out there that are leading offenses and a shortage of top flight QBs. I mean the Eagles just won the SB with Nick Foles behind center. The Giants won two with Eli. No one is going to mistake either of them for Brady or Brees. The Broncos won with a broken down Peyton.

My point, there's no one way to win a SB. I think that's been proven time and time again, so to say a team won't win a SB ever again with a RB as the center piece of the offense is a bit shortsighted. 

I agree with the thoughts here, that there is more in the formula to winning a superbowl than being able to pass and have a good QB.

Being able to run the football is important. A good example would be... the Saints. Year after year Drew Brees dominated yet the team always looked dead in the water. This season both Ingram, and more importantly, Kamara comes in and relieves lots of that pressure from Brees. Statistically he has an off-season. If you can even call it that lol, but his yards/g was the lowest since his 2005 season with the Chargers. Yet I'd say it was one of the Saints better seasons outside of when they won the superbowl, just that the NFC was really tough.

Now hypothetically if the Saints instead of the Eagles won you'd say it was because of Brees, and rightfully so because he is the QB. But the impact that Ingram/Kamara provided this season was what pushed them over the top. Their defense played better as well, yes, but with a run game that can sustain drives more easily that also helps out your defense a ton as well.

4 minutes ago, Northern Green Wings said:

I agree with the thoughts here, that there is more in the formula to winning a superbowl than being able to pass and have a good QB.

Being able to run the football is important. A good example would be... the Saints. Year after year Drew Brees dominated yet the team always looked dead in the water. This season both Ingram, and more importantly, Kamara comes in and relieves lots of that pressure from Brees. Statistically he has an off-season. If you can even call it that lol, but his yards/g was the lowest since his 2005 season with the Chargers. Yet I'd say it was one of the Saints better seasons outside of when they won the superbowl, just that the NFC was really tough.

Now hypothetically if the Saints instead of the Eagles won you'd say it was because of Brees, and rightfully so because he is the QB. But the impact that Ingram/Kamara provided this season was what pushed them over the top. Their defense played better as well, yes, but with a run game that can sustain drives more easily that also helps out your defense a ton as well.

Yup agreed. You guys are going to kill me for saying this, but if Minnesota doesn't pull off that miracle I think the Saints would have been in the SB. They were a bad match up for the Eagles. At the very least they would have put up a much better fight than the Vikings. NO is going to be a tough out again this season. 

In regards to the RB debate, if I'm starting a team from scratch of course I'm going to take a Carson Wentz over a RB 10 times out of 10, but there's only like 4 or 5 guys like that on planet Earth, so teams have to come up with different ways to win. A balanced, dynamic running and passing game is a nice place to start. We have the pieces in place to make that happen.