Sign in to follow this  
Happyfoosball

Saquon Barkley rookie season prediction

8 minutes ago, BKLYNYG said:

Yup agreed. You guys are going to kill me for saying this, but if Minnesota doesn't pull off that miracle I think the Saints would have been in the SB. They were a bad match up for the Eagles. At the very least they would have put up a much better fight than the Vikings. NO is going to be a tough out again this season. 

In regards to the RB debate, if I'm starting a team from scratch of course I'm going to take a Carson Wentz over a RB 10 times out of 10, but there's only like 4 or 5 guys like that on planet Earth, so teams have to come up with different ways to win. A balanced, dynamic running and passing game is a nice place to start. We have the pieces in place to make that happen. 

I thought Minnesota was the tougher match-up for us, since they had the defense that should of been able to slow down our offense. I trusted our defense to perform, but I didn't trust our offense to be run expertly by Foles. I felt he would of done well, but not excellent like he did.

Again however, one thing that made Foles life easier was hard running by Clement/Ajayi/Blount. All of them made huge plays in the post-season for us making his life easier.

The tricky thing with the Giants is how much faith you put in Manning at this stage in his career, and can the defense get back to where it was. Barkley is an exceptional player and they'll do well with him, but that team was a dumpster fire last season and needed a lot of help. Barkley and OBJ are going to be tough to stop, but unless Webb is able to step in for Manning when he wears down, which looks like it's fast approaching, I'm not sure the move makes sense long-term... time will tell!

3 hours ago, BKLYNYG said:

Yup agreed. You guys are going to kill me for saying this, but if Minnesota doesn't pull off that miracle I think the Saints would have been in the SB. They were a bad match up for the Eagles. At the very least they would have put up a much better fight than the Vikings. NO is going to be a tough out again this season. 

In regards to the RB debate, if I'm starting a team from scratch of course I'm going to take a Carson Wentz over a RB 10 times out of 10, but there's only like 4 or 5 guys like that on planet Earth, so teams have to come up with different ways to win. A balanced, dynamic running and passing game is a nice place to start. We have the pieces in place to make that happen. 

I was hoping we wouldn't face Saints. Their defense was pretty good and they had a really nice running game and I'd rather face Keenum than Brees

The Saints absolutely crushed the 2017 draft too which helps. I know it's difficult to truly judge a draft for three or four years, but they definitely nailed it. Teams dream of having a draft class as half as good as what the Saints pulled off last year. 

5 hours ago, BKLYNYG said:

I didn't want Eagles to face Saints. I was more worried about their offense than Vikings defense. Going into Playoffs, I thought Falcons and Vikings were best match-ups for Eagles.

"QB driven league" is just the latest cliché. It's still "a game of inches" isn't it? As long as you take it one game at a time, bring your "A" game every week, and give 110% out there, you'll have no problem leaving it all on the field in this game of attrition.

No predictions.  I want the kid to have a great NFL career, even if he got drafted by the Giants.  Good kid, makes my hometown proud.

Class Act, Whitehall Proud

Selfless act by Whitehall sprinter Saquon Barkley had some in tears

Rachel Panek burst into tears and sought out a friend from another team to console her.

Panek, a sophomore hurdler for Saucon Valley High School, thought she'd look back on the Colonial League Track and Field Championships as one of the worst days of her athletic career after finishing last in a race she thought she had already won.

As it turns out, she'll remember last Wednesday as one of her best sports experiences ever — thanks to the gesture of a thoughtful new friend she encountered by chance in Whitehall's Saquon Barkley, the Lehigh Valley football star with a scholarship to play at Penn State.

"It's not the fact that I didn't get a medal or first place in the league that I'll remember," Panek said, "it's that somebody noticed and that someone cared enough to make my day by giving me something that meant a lot to them.

"That's what I'll remember forever."

What happened to Panek before she came across Barkley could certainly be characterized as unfair, and it would be hard to find anybody at the two-day meet — that was a combined championship with Eastern Pennsylvania Conference and Colonial League athletes competing for medals at Whitehall's Zephyr Sports Complex — who felt particularly good about it.

Saquon Barkley gives away his medal

Photo of Saucon Valley hurdler Rachel Panek with Whitehall sprinter Saquon Barkley. Barkley gave his gold medal from winning the East Penn Conference 100 on Wednesday to Panek after Panek lost her race. She had originally won the event, but a timing mishap forced it to be re-run.

(Photo courtesy of Rachel Panek)

The day's first race, the girls 100-meter hurdles, was stopped by officials when the timing system malfunctioned.

Each of the eight competitors appeared to finish the event at full speed, but the fully automatic clock never started when the starting gun sounded. A trackside official, acting on the timing issue, fired three shots into the air as the lead runners — Panek and Northwestern's Alexis Gawelko — crossed the seventh hurdle. Panek beat Gawelko to the line.

Because the timing system never started, there were no official times. (There was no backup timing system either, according to meet officials.)

Current Lehigh Valley high school standouts took a bow along with Hall of Famers at banquet

Colonial League track and field chairman Bryan Geist called the coaches of all eight finalists into the infield for a brief meeting. The decision was made to re-run the race after approximately a 30-minute rest period.

Panek, though, was unable to rest. She was competing in the high jump and took two turns before she ran the second 100 hurdles race.

"Honestly, I didn't hear the gun go off," Panek said. "You're so in the moment. I don't think anyone slowed down. There was a lot of confusion after the race and once I found out we were re-running it, I kept telling myself that I wasn't upset. I cleared 4-4 and 4-6 in the high jump, my legs were a little tired."

"It's really unfortunate," Geist said at the time, "but we felt like [re-running the race] was the only thing we could do."

The second, and official, race was a disaster for Panek, whose momentum was stunted significantly when she clipped a hurdle. She placed eighth.

Gawelko, a senior, won in 15.75 seconds and collected the gold medal that she'd absolutely earned.

"After I walked back to the high jump and kind of realized what happened," Panek said, "I found my friend from Salisbury [Sydney Utesch] and gave her a big hug. I was sobbing."

Ed Kolosky tried to console his promising young hurdler, but even Saucon Valley's longtime running coach, known as a strong motivator, couldn't find any fitting words.

"I saw Rachel's dad in the stands," Kolosky said, "and he yelled that it was a good time for him to pick up some souvenir clothes. We were trying to pick up her spirits. Because it was unfair, no one really knew what to say."

No one knew what to say, but Barkley knew what to do.

Panek and Barkley had never met before Wednesday's meet, and they only met there because Panek held the starting blocks for Barkley in the EPC boys 100-meter finals. (The re-running of the second Colonial League girls 100 hurdles race came immediately after the EPC boys 100.)

At the time, Barkley said, Panek was in a positive mental state.

"She wasn't upset. She was jumping around and said she'd be the best block-holder. She was confident she'd win the hurdles race again," he said.

Barkley won his gold medal, clocking 11.15 seconds to edge out his closest competitor. Since it's his first year in track and field — "I love the sport," he said, "but I'm doing it to keep in shape for football" — the gold medal was his first.

But what had happened to Panek didn't seem fair to Barkley.

"It's really hard to explain," the all-state running back said, "but something inside of me told me it'd be the right thing to do to give her my medal. Honestly, I love winning races and receiving medals, but I felt she deserved it, too. Everyone saw that girl win her race."

Barkley discussed his decision with Whitehall coach Jim Sebesta, who gave the go-ahead. The next issue for Barkley was finding Panek amid the sea of athletes all over the Zephyr Sports Complex.

"I didn't know how to go up to her," Barkley said.

"It was about two hours after my race," Panek said, "and one of my friends came over and pulled me into the group of friends [Barkley] was with. He said to me, 'You held my blocks. I saw your race and you should've won. You deserve this.' He literally handed me his gold medal. I was kind of in shock. I hugged him, we took a couple pictures. I have the medal."

"It felt really good," Barkley said, "to do a good deed and put a smile on her face. I think I learned it from my mom [Tonya Johnson] and my family. It was the right thing to do."

Panek genuinely appreciated the gesture.

"It was honestly one of the kindest things anyone's ever done," she said.

It's something that left everyone — particularly the adults who see these athletes on a daily basis — in awe.

Whitehall athletic director Bob Hartman, the EPC track and field chairman, said Barkley is an emotional and passionate teenager who is learning to how to effectively harness his feelings.

"For me, that was the best part of the track meet, regardless of the performances," Hartman said. "It says a lot about Saquon, his parents and his coaches. He wasn't prompted … he came up with that himself. We're proud of him for making that decision."

When Panek relayed to her coach what had happened, Kolosky's eyes welled up with tears. Panek, too, became emotional.

"That," Kolosky said, "was a powerful thing that young man did."

Offensive ROY type numbers maybe 1500 all-purpose yds 8 TDs.  I see a Kamara like season for him. As far as best back It's Zeke without question. 

On 7/23/2018 at 5:04 PM, BKLYNYG said:

The Saints was the team that scared me the most and glad we didn't play them. After seeing how the Eagles destroyed the Vikings in all phases and then winning a record breaking offensive shootout in the SB, in hindsight it's hard to imagine NO beating them. 

5 hours ago, heavywchamp said:

The Saints was the team that scared me the most and glad we didn't play them. After seeing how the Eagles destroyed the Vikings in all phases and then winning a record breaking offensive shootout in the SB, in hindsight it's hard to imagine NO beating them. 

Yeah you're right it is... But that NO offense has so many weapons they can be hard to contain. I think ultimately Minnesota favored us because their offense was good but not great and their QB really was not good. But hey that's the same for them this year too! 

On 7/22/2018 at 5:36 PM, BKLYNYG said:

It’s partially why people questioned the Giants for taking a RB at #2. That’s a lot of dough for a non QB that hasn’t taken a snap. Big gamble. 

Id have take him unless an rgiii type offer was on the table. Best player in the draft hands down. I think hitting on players is more important than positional philosophy. 

17 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Yeah you're right it is... But that NO offense has so many weapons they can be hard to contain. I think ultimately Minnesota favored us because their offense was good but not great and their QB really was not good. But hey that's the same for them this year too! 

We'd have beat the saints too. They are better offensively but the vikes d was also way better than the saints. Honestly the best team won last year.

4 hours ago, bobbywizdum said:

We'd have beat the saints too. They are better offensively but the vikes d was also way better than the saints. Honestly the best team won last year.

Oh without doubt. I'm not for a second even trying to suggest that the best team didn't win. I'm just saying the NO match up would have been very different. Probably another shoot out style match. 

7 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Oh without doubt. I'm not for a second even trying to suggest that the best team didn't win. I'm just saying the NO match up would have been very different. Probably another shoot out style match. 

Maybe. Brees is not the same guy outside of the dome come playoff time and we know our dline would have made them one dimensional. I think we still blow them out 38-21 ish. 

15 hours ago, bobbywizdum said:

Maybe. Brees is not the same guy outside of the dome come playoff time and we know our dline would have made them one dimensional. I think we still blow them out 38-21 ish. 

Every time someone expects a shoot out it's usually garbage

I expect Giants offense to come out with a bang. So loaded at the skill positions and Eli should come out rejuvenated.  The O-Line still has holes and Eli's age absolutely will show up, but a good coaching staff like they have will know how to hide that for a few months.

On 7/26/2018 at 6:54 PM, paco said:

No predictions.  I want the kid to have a great NFL career, even if he got drafted by the Giants.  Good kid, makes my hometown proud.

Class Act, Whitehall Proud

That's a great story. Why did the Giants have to draft him

20 hours ago, mike030270 said:

That's a great story. Why did the Giants have to draft him

Well, no running game for years and years for starters:lol:

I'm not sure if he'll have the same degree of success that Elliot had with the Cowboys.  He's more talented, no doubt, but that might not translate with the Giants.  He'll probably rush for 1,000 yards, but it could be a soft 1,000 yards.

42 minutes ago, krash said:

I'm not sure if he'll have the same degree of success that Elliot had with the Cowboys.  He's more talented, no doubt, but that might not translate with the Giants.  He'll probably rush for 1,000 yards, but it could be a soft 1,000 yards.

Yeah, I don't think anyone will mistake the Giants' offensive line for the cowboys' line.

On 7/21/2018 at 10:48 AM, Happyfoosball said:

Will he be the best running back in the division day one?  Will he be a super star?  Or will he be another first round bust?  What do you guys think?

Mayfield looked pretty good in his PS game however I  still think they made a typical Cleveland Browns mistake not taking Barkley

now the Eagles will need to live with that mistake dealing with  Barkley 2X /year for the next 10 years if he's lucky

they even ruined an iconic NFL uni ...you didn't need "Browns" written down the side of the pants

I have true sympathy for Browns fans

5 hours ago, flyeagles said:

Mayfield looked pretty good in his PS game however I  still think they made a typical Cleveland Browns mistake not taking Barkley

now the Eagles will need to live with that mistake dealing with  Barkley 2X /year for the next 10 years if he's lucky

they even ruined an iconic NFL uni ...you didn't need "Browns" written down the side of the pants

I have true sympathy for Browns fans

Well, considering Eagles got Wentz from Browns' mistake, I'll take it. Without that mistake, Eagles don't get Wentz. Wentz > S. Barkley.

On 7/22/2018 at 7:09 PM, SD_Eagle said:

1500 yards

800 receiving

best college rb I’ve ever seen and Eli’s getting old. Aside from Gurley and maybe a healthy David Johnson there’s not a more talented RB in the league. I hate that he went to the Giants.

That being said RBs don’t win championships and when your franchise qb is obviously on the downside of his career you don’t select a RB 2nd overall

Final tally 

1307 rushing yards

721 receiving yards