VaBeach_Eagle

Giants fans... Talk about the Giants

It's tempting to start Jones, but I'd treat him like KC treated Mahomes. 

Unless Jones looks like a world beater through rest of the preseason.

On 8/9/2019 at 4:04 PM, dawkins4prez said:

I mean I know it was preseason and just one drive, but damn Eli just hasn't looked that good in the pocket for 4 years.  The camp reports have been great too.  At this point i just don't see anything at all to gain by starting Eli week 1.

I'm not trusting of it yet...need to see a lot more. but to me, Eli was finished back when he signed his last contract. they keep putting talent around him and it continues to be the SOS. JC, time for new QB play....even if he doesn't work out.

On 8/9/2019 at 6:43 PM, ShakeThatMonkey said:

They should let me start, I'll get injured the first game...then Jones can start from that point.

On 8/9/2019 at 6:43 PM, ShakeThatMonkey said:

Mahomes sitting had a lot to do with the Chiefs being a playoff team with Alex Smith.  You don't throw a rookie to take the lumps when you have a viable playoff team and an incumbent that plays pretty well.  But in the Giants case, why do they need to see Eli get off to another 1-5 start?  He's been trending downwards for 4 years now and the supporting cast isn't going to carry him.

In building the Giants offense around Eli's diminished skills, they have also built an offense that should be comfortable for a rookie.  The O-line is at least average now, Saquon is a beastly bellcow and the receivers are a bunch of check down chain movers.

I'd go so far as to say whatever small chance the Giants have of making the playoffs, lies with starting Jones opening day.  Who knows maybe this young defense and Jones can grow up in a hurry and make a run in 2nd half.

You know, as an Eagles fan, I 'hate' the Giants (the Cowboys and the Redskins... and I don't particularly like the Cardinals either). But something about Beckham constantly yapping his gums about the Giants just irritates me. The dude can't just move the f on. He's like a jilted girl whose boyfriend dumped her in the cafeteria during the lunch rush hour with everyone watching.

Don't get me wrong, on the other side of the coin, anything that distracts or embarrasses the Giants is good too. But I REALLY want to see the Browns go 2-14 (while the Giants go 4-12... beating the Cowboys and Redskins twice each).

Odell Beckham: Giants thought they’d send me to Browns to die

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/category/rumor-mill/

Browns quarterback Baker Mayfield took a shot at the Giants for drafting quarterback Daniel Jones during an interview with GQ and one of his teammates did the same in the pages of another magazine.

Odell Beckham‘s no stranger to taking shots at the Giants as he rarely held his tongue when he was on the team and he hasn’t held back since they traded him to the Browns in March. In an interview with Ben Baskin of Sports Illustrated, Beckham said that he feels that the Giants are "stuck in an older mindset” and that he knows the team passed on better trade offers for him because they thought a trade to Cleveland would be a negative for the wideout.

"This wasn’t no business move,” Beckham said. "This was personal. They thought they’d send me here to die.”

The Giants didn’t comment on Beckham’s claim about offers from other teams.

Beckham stayed away from the Browns for much of the offseason, but reported for mandatory work and has been building a rapport with Mayfield this summer. If that translates to the field come September, it seems more likely he’ll be thriving than dying at the start of his time in Cleveland.

Well said VaBeach. What drew my attention, was the first line talking about Mayfield taking shots at the Giants for drafting Jones. I don’t know what he said, but those shots are for us the fans to take. Someone in his position needs to show more professionalism and not comment about another team’s transactions that have nothing to do with them. Cleveland has always been a team I never paid attention to or gave a 2nd thought to, but if they have a QB who is known to run his mouth, I can see myself quickly hating them. 

2 minutes ago, EagleJoe8 said:

Well said VaBeach. What drew my attention, was the first line talking about Mayfield taking shots at the Giants for drafting Jones. I don’t know what he said, but those shots are for us the fans to take. Someone in his position needs to show more professionalism and not comment about another team’s transactions that have nothing to do with them. Cleveland has always been a team I never paid attention to or gave a 2nd thought to, but if they have a QB who is known to run his mouth, I can see myself quickly hating them. 

Baker mayfield said he couldn't believe the giants drafted Daniel jones. 

lol Baker talking about another team when you have done nothing in the NFL, dude trying to be a talking head for ESPN and play football...

1 hour ago, EaglesIreland said:

Baker mayfield said he couldn't believe the giants drafted Daniel jones. 

I wish I could have heard his tone to get better context, but that could be a shot at the team, Jones himself or both. Could also be a mundane comment if he meant it in the sense he thought they’d go in another direction. The article though said he took a shot, so I took it to mean he meant it in a critical sense. 

Baker & the Browns are going to be fun as hell to watch this year and all of you will love it in the end.  Cleveland is going to be rocking, Baker is going to be the 2nd coming of Jim McMahon and then all the haters are going to laugh when Freddie kitchens and Co. fall on their faces in the playoffs.

3 hours ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

You know, as an Eagles fan, I 'hate' the Giants (the Cowboys and the Redskins... and I don't particularly like the Cardinals either). But something about Beckham constantly yapping his gums about the Giants just irritates me. The dude can't just move the f on. He's like a jilted girl whose boyfriend dumped her in the cafeteria during the lunch rush hour with everyone watching.

Don't get me wrong, on the other side of the coin, anything that distracts or embarrasses the Giants is good too. But I REALLY want to see the Browns go 2-14 (while the Giants go 4-12... beating the Cowboys and Redskins twice each).

I will say it now, I was completely wrong about that guy. I thought he was passionate and misunderstood. Really he's just another insecure athlete that craves attention. The fact that he was rejected by the Giants is eating him up inside. The team decided they were better off without him (smart call IMO) and he just can't handle it. 

Mayfield can suck it too. Jones has looked pretty damn good so far. As good as any of the other rookie QBs. 

2 hours ago, EagleJoe8 said:

Well it seems that Daniel jones quote that he made, he is now saying it's been taking out of context. The browns have hype and real hype for the first time in literally decades and while it's easy to see how you might get your starting QB talking a good game after what to the browns was something resembling a successful season last year, but they have won nothing yet. The browns have three prime time games before week 5, and if those first four games haven't gone well and they are below .500 then the pre game show on espn writes itself. 

What is with this cautious optimism from Giants fans about a bounce back season from Eli?  How far the mighty New York fans have fallen from the days Wally Pip and Mickey Mantle.  NY seems to be clinging to its ageing stars like Eli and Jeter more than any small market does nowadays.  New York has grown soft as F.

14 hours ago, dawkins4prez said:

What is with this cautious optimism from Giants fans about a bounce back season from Eli?  How far the mighty New York fans have fallen from the days Wally Pip and Mickey Mantle.  NY seems to be clinging to its ageing stars like Eli and Jeter more than any small market does nowadays.  New York has grown soft as F.

Not sure where that is coming from.  Yes Eli looks good this preseason, he looks as good as he has in years... but that Daniel Jones kid....  Even I'm like uh I'm excited to see what THAT guy can do. 

15 hours ago, dawkins4prez said:

It’s actually the complete opposite. 

The Giants are clinging to one aging player, Eli, but have one of the youngest rosters in the league. It now looks like they have their next QB locked and loaded. One more high draft pick would be beneficial. 

The Knicks DO have the youngest roster in the league and are building around draft picks. Any player older than 25 is on a 1 year contract. 

The Rangers are in the mist of perfectly executed rebuild and have the top rated prospect pool in the league. 

The Yanks built a juggernaut around young, homegrown players. The Mets don’t don’t look all that bad either. 

Thanks for playing Dawk. 😂

4 hours ago, BKLYNYG said:

The Giants are clinging to one aging player, Eli, but have one of the youngest rosters in the league. It now looks like they have their next QB locked and loaded. One more high draft pick would be beneficial. 

The Knicks DO have the youngest roster in the league and are building around draft picks. Any player older than 25 is on a 1 year contract. 

The Rangers are in the mist of perfectly executed rebuild and have the top rated prospect pool in the league. 

The Yanks built a juggernaut around young, homegrown players. The Mets don’t don’t look all that bad either. 

I hate all New York teams but that was a great roast lol. 

5 hours ago, BKLYNYG said:

WTF are you talking about dude?  i am specifically talking about how you guys lose your heads over "disrespecting" star players who are waaaaaaay past their primes.  Couldnt move Jeter off SS even though he was the worst defensive SS in baseball for a couple years running.  Lose your heads about benching Eli even though he's backup quality now.  Knicks , rangers, mets who cares, none of those teams have produced a sports icon in decades

it's the over-sentimentality for over the hill team captains who don't pull their weight anymore that is an insult to the old adage of NY as a tough sports town.

When is the "time to start Daniel Jones” spot in the schedule? Week 7 against ARI? That seems late, but I probably wouldn’t start in him that MIN-NE spot of the schedule.

3 hours ago, dawkins4prez said:

WTF are you talking about dude?  i am specifically talking about how you guys lose your heads over "disrespecting" star players who are waaaaaaay past their primes.  Couldnt move Jeter off SS even though he was the worst defensive SS in baseball for a couple years running.  Lose your heads about benching Eli even though he's backup quality now.  Knicks , rangers, mets who cares, none of those teams have produced a sports icon in decades

it's the over-sentimentality for over the hill team captains who don't pull their weight anymore that is an insult to the old adage of NY as a tough sports town.

We're loyal to players that bring chips to NY...our bad. :wacko:

What a silly move, going at Jeter. If he wanted to come out of retirement right now and move our all star SS to the bench I'd let him. The dude is a god. 

2 hours ago, SBorBust said:

When is the "time to start Daniel Jones” spot in the schedule? Week 7 against ARI? That seems late, but I probably wouldn’t start in him that MIN-NE spot of the schedule.

How about week 1. :D

But yes, week 7 seems like the most logical spot unless Eli is killing it. 

Its October. Giants 1 and 5. Knicks package a bunch of young players and 1st round draft picks in a trade for Bismack Biyombo. Yankees knocked out of playoffs by a team with two thirds their payroll.

Just now, VaBeach_Eagle said:

Heard a part of a discussion on SiriusXM NFL while I was in the car, they didn't believe that this would or should happen but they were talking about a trade between the Colts and Giants for Eli.

Giants fans:

If Daniel Jones was still available at 17 would you guys rather the giants have selected Josh Allen or another defensive player at 6?

4 hours ago, pisceschica said:

Giants fans:

If Daniel Jones was still available at 17 would you guys rather the giants have selected Josh Allen or another defensive player at 6?

Getting Allen and Jones would have been ideal. Not sure why that wasn’t the plan. That said, Dexter Lawrence looks pretty good.