VaBeach_Eagle

Giants fans, Talk About The Giants

Is this where we come to pay our respects to the newly retired .500 QB? But hey dont be down you got the Clapper as your OC.

1 hour ago, Uscg-Green said:

As a .500 QB lol I hope the hall has higher standards then that.

I'm not sure of the answer to this. Was Namath .500 for his career?

20 minutes ago, FranklinFldEBUpper said:

I'm not sure of the answer to this. Was Namath .500 for his career?

68-71-4 ewwww. What do NY QB get extra credit?

Using career win record doesn't sit right with me considering that not too long ago, he had a glittering win-loss record.

Can one play themselves out of the HOF via struggling in their twighlight years?

Either way, thank you Eli. Grew up watchimg #10. He became a Giant while I was in high school. While my life changed dramatically, there was just one constant. Eli Manning

82833567_2846164555477186_24917325094993

10 hours ago, UnlikeAgholor said:

Yeah, I'd be out too if my team just hired Garrett and Freddie Kitchens.

I didn't see the news about Kitchens, wow...

11 hours ago, ShakeThatMonkey said:

I didn't see the news about Kitchens, wow...

Not sure why that would be considered a big deal ora bad move. Theyre hiring him to be a positions coach (likely TE), which is where he excelled. Hes def not head coach material and wont be even a top coordinator with the Giants.

Eli's HOF debate is going to be legitimately interesting. There are a chunk of people (mostly Giants fans and some other media members) that think he's a shoe-in for the HOF, while another segment of the population are as equally sure that he won't get in. Let's see what he has going for him and what he has going against him:

Going For Him

-2 Time Super Bowl Champion (Both over the Brady/Belichick Pats, one to end an undefeated season).

-2 Time Super Bowl MVP

-7th All Time in Passing TD's

-7th All Time in Passing Yards

-7th All Time in Completions

-7 4,000 Yard Passing Seasons

-Durability/Longevity

-Plays in the New York Market (Like it or not, this helps. See Namath, Joe).

-His last name/family legacy

Going Against Him

-Led the League in Interceptions 3 times

-Never led the league in passing yards or passing TD's

-Never won League MVP or Offensive Player of the Year

-Never one a single playoff game outside of the 2 seasons he won the Super Bowl

-.500 Career Record (Antiquated or not, this will be looked at)

-Other non-HOFers have finished their careers in the top 10 of major passing statistics (Vinny Testaverde, Carson Palmer)

-84.1 Career Passer Rating (In an era where mid-high 90's and into the 100's is the norm)

-60.3% Completion Percentage (In an era where mid-high 60's is the norm)

-Played in an era with several HOF locks at QB (Favre, Peyton, Brady, Brees, Rodgers)

Gun to my head, I'd say he doesn't deserve to be in. For me, there's just too many negative attributes that outweigh the positives. The Hall of Fame is supposed to be for the elite... the very best to ever play the game. When I use that criteria, the name "Eli Manning" just doesn't come to mind. I certainly understand why Giants fans feel like he's a HOFer, but I just don't think he belongs. He's squarely in the Hall of Very Good.

21 minutes ago, Dawkins 20 said:

Going For Him

-2 Time Super Bowl Champion (Both over the Brady/Belichick Pats, one to end an undefeated season).

-2 Time Super Bowl MVP

Those are the things that will get him in (if he gets in). Take those away, and I don't know that he'd get in.

I think Eli is a borderline HOFer, leaning closer to the "doesn't belong" side. That being said, I also believe he's a virtual lock to make it.

There are guys who made several all pro teams that were at points top 5 artheir positions in their era who are still waiting. Charmichael was f'n all decade for his position. Eli was never that level at QB. Case closed.

On 1/24/2020 at 1:29 PM, Dawkins 20 said:

Eli's HOF debate is going to be legitimately interesting. There are a chunk of people (mostly Giants fans and some other media members) that think he's a shoe-in for the HOF, while another segment of the population are as equally sure that he won't get in. Let's see what he has going for him and what he has going against him:

Going For Him

-2 Time Super Bowl MVP

-Durability/Longevity

Going Against Him

-Other non-HOFers have finished their careers in the top 10 of major passing statistics (Vinny Testaverde, Carson Palmer)

-84.1 Career Passer Rating (In an era where mid-high 90's and into the 100's is the norm)

-Played in an era with several HOF locks at QB (Favre, Peyton, Brady, Brees, Rodgers)

Gun to my head, I'd say he doesn't deserve to be in. For me, there's just too many negative attributes that outweigh the positives. The Hall of Fame is supposed to be for the elite... the very best to ever play the game. When I use that criteria, the name "Eli Manning" just doesn't come to mind. I certainly understand why Giants fans feel like he's a HOFer, but I just don't think he belongs. He's squarely in the Hall of Very Good.

I'm with you, I don't think he deserves to be in either, but he's more than likely going to make it anyway. The HoF criteria has obviously changed, and the bar isn't as high as it used to be. He'll get in based on the two rings and his last name. The game has been changed so much in order to favor offenses that 7th in passing yards/TD's doesn't quite seem to have much glamour to it anymore. DB's have been handcuffed for over a decade thanks to these new rules that even the refs don't understand.

I have no hatred for Eli. Quite the opposite, really, I love the guy. I just don't think he's HoF material.

On 1/17/2020 at 1:01 PM, EagleJoe8 said:

Right. I often times forget Doug played for Reid for a year here.

Right . . . it was Pederson who McNabb took over for in 1999.

Who could have ever predicted how that was gonna play out ??

On 1/22/2020 at 8:56 PM, BKLYNYG said:

I would not be surprised if Eli got a chance to start again. That said, retirement was the right choice. He had a great career.

Agree. He's got over $200 mil. reasons to choose his pathway going forward.

No sense in diluting the stats (HOF worthyness) any further.

On 1/24/2020 at 1:29 PM, Dawkins 20 said:

Agree. Similar to, but better than, Donovan McNabb.

On 1/24/2020 at 2:29 PM, Dawkins 20 said:

Going For Him

-2 Time Super Bowl MVP

-Durability/Longevity

Going Against Him

The biggest argument against is that only 1/15 years as a starter was there ever even a debate about including him as a top 5 QB.

On 1/22/2020 at 9:28 PM, Uscg-Green said:

As a .500 QB lol I hope the hall has higher standards then that.

Who the hell cares about the regular season when we are talking about a 2 time SB MVP who absolutely ripped the heart out of some incredible teams?

If he won 20 more regular season games and 1 less Super Bowl then you'd be fine with him going into the Hall of Fame?

You want Carson Wentz to have a nice winning record instead of winning a couple Super Bowls?

13 hours ago, skippyx said:

Who the hell cares about the regular season when we are talking about a 2 time SB MVP who absolutely ripped the heart out of some incredible teams?

His defense absolutely shutting down the previously undefeated Patriots had a lot more to do with that win, IMO.

14 hours ago, skippyx said:

If he won 20 more regular season games and 1 less Super Bowl then you'd be fine with him going into the Hall of Fame?

You want Carson Wentz to have a nice winning record instead of winning a couple Super Bowls?

He never had to score many points in the big game to winhis 2 rings

I want Carson to have a winning record AND win more than 2 super bowls.

Eli put up better numbers and only won 1 less super bowl then Aikman. He is getting in don't even know why this is even an argument. They let anyone that won a super bowl in these days.

15 hours ago, skippyx said:

So Start making the Foles bust?